PDA

View Full Version : What would you guys do?

Just Tool'n
07-26-2004, 09:01 PM
Been wanting a new 2500HD dmax truck, crewcab for work & play. For power, torque & mileage
But the money they want for them.
Or was thinking over the weekend, find a used 95-96 Chevy 3/4ton crew cab, big block, put a whipple on it & gearvendor on the tranny.
I think would be an equal towing rig, with power & torque.
But I know I would not get the great mileage as a diesel.
What are your guys thought.
Or do the unthinkable, buy a used F-250 superduty with a 7.3L.
Been a Chevy man since 1979.

Jrocket
07-26-2004, 09:10 PM
Well Id get the new chevy diesel or a Ford diesel,either way id get a diesel.The whipple big block would be fun but too much hassle,and mileage...forget it.You wouldnt have any!
Just get a diesel.You'ld be suprised how fast the new ones are even without all the aftermarket upgrades.

Mandelon
07-27-2004, 06:28 AM
You should come and buy my 97 F-250HD. 460, great condition, xtra cab, long bed and air bags for extra payload capacity!!!
seriously, it was a great tow vehicle except for steep hills.

sigepmock
07-27-2004, 06:48 AM
Just went with a friend to look at and buy himself a used 2002 2500hd crewcab 4x4 dmax for $26000. It had 90,000 miles but was it great shape. He had to look for a couple of weeks but they're out there if your patient. I have the Whipple on the 6.0L and with I had got the deisel.
Chris

Jordy
07-27-2004, 07:22 AM
Go the used route. Trucktraderonline.com is where I found mine. It was less than a year old, 13K miles on it, and everything I wanted, but $12K or so cheaper than a brand new one. Plus I bought it out of state, paid wholesale, and saved money on some other things that I'm not going to discuss. ;)

mbrown2
07-27-2004, 07:33 AM
Go diesel and if you buy new, talk to Photoglou..yeah the stickers are expensive, but if you catch it at the right incentive times, you can knock 10K total off that price...

Just Tool'n
07-27-2004, 01:43 PM
So I really hate the looks on the 03-04 Chevys. I really love the look of the 02.
I keep looking for a used 02 dmax, but they want top dollar. 30K for a now 3 year old truck.
I guess I will have to keep my ear to the pavement for the right deal!

Jordy
07-27-2004, 01:50 PM
I have both and like them both for different reasons. The '02 looks like a truck, it's big and looks like something to be dealt with. The '04 has the slopy hood, that I hated at first, but you can really see right over it when you're pulling into parking spots or other tight spots, that you have to guess a little more with the '02.
On the downside, I had to have the hood on the '02 Stoneguarded because it's a big flat surface that catches everything that is kicked up off the road. It took less than a week of me having the truck and there were 25+ chips in the paint on the leading edge of the hood.
BTW, I heard the next body style will be a throw back to the big hood.