PDA

View Full Version : Burnining Oil out the rear seal?

cave
07-27-2004, 04:31 AM
Last time I was out I had smoke coming out of the rear seal. Oil burning smoke. I shut the engine down after noticing that my oil pressure was at 0 pounds. Well to be brief the sending unit wire poped off. I have oil pressure. I have a 10 quart dooley jet boat oil pan. I had 8 qts oil. My pump wasnt making any noise.
Could I have put too much oil? Could the bearings in the pump be going and would this cause the seal too go bad and overheat and fail.
Also I sucked up a diaper just before the last ride out. I had steam coming from the water dump and no the diaper wasnt loaded:yuk: I crused around 75 yards like that. Thats about how far the no wake is
Any suggestions would help.

MudPumper
07-27-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by cave
I had smoke coming out of the rear seal.
Do you mean the rear main seal???

cave
07-27-2004, 12:59 PM
Yea MudPumper. I meant the rear main seal, thanks. Got so hot there that the grease was oozing out the zerk fittings. The drive yoke looked hot. The grease seam to bubble out. I just wondered if anyone else had a simalar problem. Thanks.

460rogers
07-27-2004, 02:41 PM
I've seen a jet with a rope hung that heated the shaft too hot to touch.It cooked the packing and the rear pump seal.That was in only 5 minutes of cruising.He came in complaining of a vibration.
Had to cut the melted rope off took 1.5 hours on trailer through intake.Not fun.