PDA

View Full Version : Havasu Boat Accident

sunsoaker8
04-06-2006, 10:41 PM
Friday, April 7, 2006 Last modified: Thursday, April 6, 2006 11:19 PM MDT
News-Herald Photo/L.J. Frink A Mohave County Sheriff's deputy and three Lake Havasu City firefighters carry one of the victims from a pontoon boat at the Site Six docks to a waiting ambulance Thursday afternoon.
One killed in crash off Site Six
By David Bell
A 14-year-old boy was killed and four others were severely injured in a two-boat collision on Lake Havasu Thursday.
Mohave County Sheriff's officials said the accident occurred around 3:40 p.m. about 50-100 yards offshore, just northwest of the handicap fishing dock at Site Six on the Island. Investigation into the cause of the crash is ongoing.
“To my knowledge all males were involved,” said Sheriff's Lt. Randy Johnson. “The 14-year-old was deceased at the scene. As I understand it, the father was on board the boat and is being treated for his injuries at this time.”
Identities of the victims are being withheld pending the investigation and notification of next-of-kin.
Early reports indicate that three people, including the boy and his father, were on a Sleekcraft boat while the other two victims were on a bass boat. The two watercraft were traveling toward each other at an unknown rate of speed prior to the crash, however exact nature of the crash is unknown as the Sleekcraft sunk following the collision. Salvage operations were ongoing as Today's News-Herald went to press.
“There were a couple of boats in the area and they got (the victims) on board their watercraft and got them in,” said Johnson.
Lake Havasu City Fire Department dispatched one ladder truck and two engines with 10 firefighters and one battalion chief to initiate emergency medical treatment. All victims were transported to Havasu Regional Medical Center.
Lake Havasu City Police, San Bernardino County Sheriff's Office and U.S Fish and Wildlife also assisted the eight Mohave County Sheriff's personnel investigating the incident.
It was the second death on Lake Havasu in 2006. On February 16, a 67-year-old California woman died when her watercraft crashed into the shore.

Outnumbered
04-06-2006, 10:48 PM
Friday, April 7, 2006 Last modified: Thursday, April 6, 2006 11:19 PM MDT
News-Herald Photo/L.J. Frink A Mohave County Sheriff's deputy and three Lake Havasu City firefighters carry one of the victims from a pontoon boat at the Site Six docks to a waiting ambulance Thursday afternoon.
One killed in crash off Site Six
By David Bell
A 14-year-old boy was killed and four others were severely injured in a two-boat collision on Lake Havasu Thursday.
Mohave County Sheriff's officials said the accident occurred around 3:40 p.m. about 50-100 yards offshore, just northwest of the handicap fishing dock at Site Six on the Island. Investigation into the cause of the crash is ongoing.
“To my knowledge all males were involved,” said Sheriff's Lt. Randy Johnson. “The 14-year-old was deceased at the scene. As I understand it, the father was on board the boat and is being treated for his injuries at this time.”
Identities of the victims are being withheld pending the investigation and notification of next-of-kin.
Early reports indicate that three people, including the boy and his father, were on a Sleekcraft boat while the other two victims were on a bass boat. The two watercraft were traveling toward each other at an unknown rate of speed prior to the crash, however exact nature of the crash is unknown as the Sleekcraft sunk following the collision. Salvage operations were ongoing as Today's News-Herald went to press.
“There were a couple of boats in the area and they got (the victims) on board their watercraft and got them in,” said Johnson.
Lake Havasu City Fire Department dispatched one ladder truck and two engines with 10 firefighters and one battalion chief to initiate emergency medical treatment. All victims were transported to Havasu Regional Medical Center.
Lake Havasu City Police, San Bernardino County Sheriff's Office and U.S Fish and Wildlife also assisted the eight Mohave County Sheriff's personnel investigating the incident.
It was the second death on Lake Havasu in 2006. On February 16, a 67-year-old California woman died when her watercraft crashed into the shore.
Thanks for posting up the facts.
Terrible news. Thoughts and prayers to the family and son.

STOKER909
04-06-2006, 10:55 PM
That is absolutely terrible. It is that and hearing about deaths at Glamis that make me shy away from taking my little ones out there. Kids change your whole perspective.

Outnumbered
04-06-2006, 11:01 PM
That is absolutely terrible. It is that and hearing about deaths at Glamis that make me shy away from taking my little ones out there. Kids change your whole perspective.
I agree. It's why we stopped going to Havi and Mohave on busy weekends and started going to Mead. It could happen anywhere but I think the north end of Mead is less crowded and hopefully more safe.

RiverRatMike
04-06-2006, 11:21 PM
that is just crazy! I was on my way to work this afternoon around 4pm and saw emergency vehicles on hwy 95, wondered what was going on.

STOKER909
04-06-2006, 11:22 PM
I agree. It's why we stopped going to Havi and Mohave on busy weekends and started going to Mead. It could happen anywhere but I think the north end of Mead is less crowded and hopefully more safe.
Yeah even on big weekends it is still pretty quiet relatively up on the north end of lake Mohave at cottonwood cove. We love it up there! I like Mead too but when the storms come up it is hard on our fairly small boat. Good thing I watch the weather closely and usually get ahead of them especially doing 70+ to get the heck out of dodge sometimes.

Jordy
04-07-2006, 12:31 AM
That's horrible and the type of situation I would not wish on my worst enemy. :( :(:(
I just heard that Don Ahern, of Ahern Rentals, lost his 20 year old daughter in a car crash about last Thursday night. Had her die in his arms as he was right behind her when she was hit. Can't imagine those emotions. Don't ever want to feel them. More peeps in your prayers. Thank you.

Hardly Satisfied
04-07-2006, 03:15 AM
very sad :cry:

OnlyMoney
04-07-2006, 07:28 AM
That's horrible and the type of situation I would not wish on my worst enemy. :( :(:(
I just heard that Don Ahern, of Ahern Rentals, lost his 20 year old daughter in a car crash about last Thursday night. Had her die in his arms as he was right behind her when she was hit. Can't imagine those emotions. Don't ever want to feel them. More peeps in your prayers. Thank you.
I was going to ask if you knew them based on our conversation yesterday. Our banking girl was going to the funeral. Crash happened right by our house. :(
Terrible news on the lake. I agree with most of you on the big weekends thing...we're always on Mead, too.

Beer-30
04-07-2006, 02:26 PM
KEEP YOUR FRIGGEN EYES OPEN PEOPLE! Sheeze! How many people have to die before people quit screwing around.
I know accidents happen and all, but how many of you have been boating since you were children and haven't had an issue? Some people just don't look any farther ahead than the bow light. HIGH VISUAL HORIZON!
Sorry. Had to vent. These needless collisions drive me nuts.
AND; A SLEEK was sunk! :mad:

SHAKEN Not Stirred
04-07-2006, 02:54 PM
That section of lake is bad while heading West as the sun sets.....
Hard to see whats heading your way while looking into the sun....
Might not have been a factor here as it says 3:40PM....
I can't even imagine the pain of losing my son.....Makes me feel sick.....
One moment your boating with your boy, which happens to be just about the best feeling ever!!!! ......The next moment your life.....including your marrige.....is over!!!!......Just like that!!!!........
YOUR LIFE IS OVER!!!!!!!...........YOUR KID IS DEAD!!!!!! :cry:
Please....please....please....don't drink & boat.....pay attention, be courteous, pass with care, get out of the throttles sooner.....be aware of your surroundings.....
Use some common sense......
Please watch out for me and my family and I'll do the same for you.....
Man this makes me so sick.......
CJG
:frown:

Beer-30
04-07-2006, 02:59 PM
Exactly.

BRAWNY
04-07-2006, 03:46 PM
being a father of 6kids,couldn't imagine going through that situation.
people need to remember :when in doubt--SLOW IT DOWN.
so we can boat tomorrow. prayers for sure.

Just Tool'n
04-07-2006, 04:05 PM
being a father of 6kids,couldn't imagine going through that situation.
people need to remember :when in doubt--SLOW IT DOWN.
so we can boat tomorrow. prayers for sure.
I will 2nd that.
A time & place for speed, not with the kids thought!

MrsMathWiz
04-07-2006, 07:33 PM
My husband's buddies were the two guys in the bass boat. They are safe (thank you God!). It is terrible that someone had to die - especially someone so young.
Both men were released from the hospital and are on their way home to So. California. Their bass club is out there this weekend for a tournament.
This accident may have been a case of not knowing boating rules. All of the bass club has had training on boating safety but when this boat started coming at the bass boat my husband's friend veered right to pass but the Sleekcraft started to veer to the left (when he should have passed on the right) so the driver of the bass boat thought he better turn the other way too & when he did the other boat turned back to the right too and they went back and forth (I'm not sure how many times) until it was too late. Such a bummer. Maybe the guy on the Sleekcraft just wasn't paying attention and started to veer left without realizing. We don't know yet. But if boating rules were followed, this accident probably wouldn't have happened.
Please...pay attention, know the rules and have fun safely.

Napanutt
04-07-2006, 08:01 PM
KEEP YOUR FRIGGEN EYES OPEN PEOPLE! Sheeze! How many people have to die before people quit screwing around.
I know accidents happen and all, but how many of you have been boating since you were children and haven't had an issue? Some people just don't look any farther ahead than the bow light. HIGH VISUAL HORIZON!
Sorry. Had to vent. These needless collisions drive me nuts.
AND; A SLEEK was sunk! :mad:
Speaking of venting...It's not just on the water,has any body noticed on the roads, ie. freeways, that people don't look farther than their ****ing hoods,I have, (I work there...)...