PDA

View Full Version : Trial Lawyers are Ruining This Country

MagicMtnDan
07-27-2004, 09:08 AM
(If you have a problem why not try to blame someone else and maybe even get rich by suing them!)
The family of a University of Florida student who hanged himself has filed a $20 million lawsuit against seven companies that produced or distributed Prozac, claiming the anti-depressant drug worsened his mental illness, leading to his death.
William J. Willkomm III, the father of Billy Willkomm, filed the suit in U.S. District Court in Fort Myers last week. The suit alleges that the seven companies failed to inform the medical community that the drug "increased the risk of personality change and suicide among certain teenage males."
Billy, an accomplished wrestler at Naples High School, was diagnosed with depression when he was 16, and prescribed Prozac shortly thereafter, according to the suit.
In the spring of 2002, Billy's mother contacted his psychiatrist because she believed his condition was getting worse, according to the suit. Billy hanged himself at the family's home in July 2002 when he was 19.
The suit seeks $10 million in compensatory damages for Billy's death, and another $10 million in punitive damages.
William Willkomm could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

07-27-2004, 09:15 AM
And the thought of one of those ambulance chasers as VP makes my blood run cold:yuk:

PHX ATC
07-27-2004, 09:25 AM
That's kind of funny, really. What a bunch of morons.
I suppose I should start my lawsuits now, for when I die.
I'm going to sue all boat manufacturers in case I die while boating or thinking of boating, all automobile manufacturers in case of the same, all drug manufacturers in case I'm on some sort of meds, all food growers, processsors, deliverers, etc, in case I'm eating something or ate something in the recent past.......
I will leave all my proceeds to you all.:D

HavasuDreamin'
07-27-2004, 09:50 AM
A new law needs to be put in place across all states. Any lawsuit found to be frivilous in nature will require the prosecution to pay 125% of all expenses associated with the defendant's case......the extra 25% for unnecessary hassle/aggrivation/brain damage associated with the suit.

Stealth Marine
07-27-2004, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by 058
And the thought of one of those ambulance chasers as VP makes my blood run cold:yuk:
This is SERIOUS Stuff.
I have been at the other end of 2 of these suits!
You spend YEARS fighting this crap and tens of thousands of dollars. In the end we win the suits, but you can't recoup all of the time and money you spent to defend it.
In the USA anyone can sue you for any reason.
And if the Judge allows it to go to trial, then by default, its not frivolous, and for the most part, your not entitled to recover the costs of defending yourself, since the judge determined that they had cause to bring the lawsuit.
In England, if you sue and LOOSE, you PAY all of the costs!!
But the trial lawyers association will NEVER allow that to happen in the USA.

HCS
07-27-2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Stealth Marine
This is SERIOUS Stuff.
I have been at the other end of 2 of these suits!
You spend YEARS fighting this crap and tens of thousands of dollars. In the end we win the suits, but you can't recoup all of the time and money you spent to defend it.
In the USA anyone can sue you for any reason.
And if the Judge allows it to go to trial, then by default, its not frivolous, and for the most part, your not entitled to recover the costs of defending yourself, since the judge determined that they had cause to bring the lawsuit.
In England, if you sue and LOOSE, you PAY all of the costs!!
But the trial lawyers association will NEVER allow that to happen in the USA.
Like I said in that other thread. That sucks!
Some how some way they need to change the law.
But that will probably never happen.

Stealth Marine
07-27-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by HARDCORE-SKI
If anyone ever gets serious about forcing TORT REFORM in the USA, I am more than willing to stand up and support it.

MagicMtnDan
07-27-2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by HARDCORE-SKI
Especially if John Edwards is the VP!

07-27-2004, 10:41 AM
The bad part of this is the Demos are pandering him off as a fighter for the "little people" and even worse is the dummys are buying it. If he really worked for the little people, why didn't he work pro-bono?

Big_Gunz_
07-27-2004, 10:58 AM
The problem we have is that the trial lawyers know these suits usually end up settling out of court for a much smaller amount. The big companies with deep pockets would rather pay off a small amount, than pay their lawyers to take it trial, itÂ’s much cheaper that way.

C-2
07-27-2004, 11:04 AM
Trial lawyers may exploit the crap out of the system - but the real problem lies with everyday, common folks looking to get rich quick.
How many people do we all know that have filed b.s. lawsuits, unemployment or worker's comp claims?
Not trying to debate, only stating the obvious.

WaTchTheGelCoat
07-27-2004, 11:05 AM
Suing and making money off of the death of your child is completely disgusting. I can understand if your child was sick or in the hospital and you need that money for paying off medical bills, but just suing because you know you can get millions out of it is so wrong in so many ways. ITS YOUR CHILD NOT A PAY CHECK!

MagicMtnDan
07-27-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by C-2
Trial lawyers may exploit the crap out of the system - but the real problem lies with everyday, common folks looking to get rich quick.
How many people do we all know that have filed b.s. lawsuits, unemployment or worker's comp claims?
Not trying to debate, only stating the obvious.
You're half right. Without the trial lawyers' willingness to chase ambulances and take up frivolous lawsuits, the "common folks" couldn't sue anyone!

bigd1
07-27-2004, 11:28 AM
How about this one.
http://www.wbir.com/News/news.asp?ID=18975

wsuwrhr
07-27-2004, 02:53 PM
I think the Jurors on this type of case may shoulder some of the responsibility.
What do you guys think?
Brian

Dave C
07-27-2004, 03:55 PM
hey wait a minute... your right but I make a lot of money off trial lawyers.... if you can't beat em.. join em.
J/K - sort of..
If someone is found guilty of filing a frivolous lawsuit they should be taken outside of the court and whipped.

Stealth Marine
07-27-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by wsuwrhr
I think the Jurors on this type of case may shoulder some of the responsibility.
What do you guys think?
Brian
In my case once we got it in front of the jury it all came to a screaching halt. But it cost 2 years of legal wrangling to finally put it in front of the Jury. And those 2 years cost a heck of a lot of money in legal fees...
What the Jury couldn't do was force them to pay us back for all the costs they made us incure in defending ourself against their attack.

Seadog
07-27-2004, 05:13 PM
Hillary was saying that Kerry would see to it that more high paying jobs would happen. She didn't mention that they were all lawyers.