PDA

View Full Version : New Engine Help

summerlove
07-27-2004, 11:11 AM
OK Guys and Gals:
I sold the flat bottom and now have the cash to build my new motor. This is what I want and any suggestions would be appreciated:
not more than 500 HP....
ok, help me out. I don't want to go more than that because I don't want external rams and while my boat can handle just about any HP, I really don't want to go that fast....just faster than the 330HP 7.4 I currently run (about 52-54MPH).
I thought of a 496HO but too many problems. What about a HP500? Ideas?????

OGShocker
07-27-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by summerlove
OK Guys and Gals:
I sold the flat bottom and now have the cash to build my new motor. This is what I want and any suggestions would be appreciated:
not more than 500 HP....
ok, help me out. I don't want to go more than that because I don't want external rams and while my boat can handle just about any HP, I really don't want to go that fast....just faster than the 330HP 7.4 I currently run (about 52-54MPH).
I thought of a 496HO but too many problems. What about a HP500? Ideas?????
Too late.;)
see you for a beer this weekend?

phebus
07-27-2004, 11:23 AM
More power will definately be in order when you mount that huge jungle gym of metal (wakeboard tower) that your girls want. :D

carbonmarine
07-27-2004, 11:25 AM
Summer, the 500's are great engines ! I have over 240 hrs on both and NEVER a problemo.. They burn oil a wee bit, no more than most HP Engines but you watch and change the water impellorsm, filters and you all good .... They are cheaper due to being discontinued in favor of the 525's now...
Rick :cool:

Jrocket
07-27-2004, 12:36 PM
Ive got a turn key HP500 efi with everything you will need to put in your boat for sale.Wiring harness,computer,and cmi headers if you want or dont want.

summerlove
07-27-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by OGShocker
Too late.;)
see you for a beer this weekend?
not going to make it this w/e...our next scheduled trip is the w/e of the 13th....you gonna make it then?

summerlove
07-27-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Jrocket
Ive got a turn key HP500 efi with everything you will need to put in your boat for sale.Wiring harness,computer,and cmi headers if you want or dont want.
I've got the Imco Powerflows and MSD so I won't need those. How much?????? What year and how many hours?

Jrocket
07-27-2004, 12:59 PM
Everything except CMI's.Complete,bell housing,wiring harness,computer,fuel pump,just bolt it in and hook it up.I mean eveything.make me a reasonable offer.
2000 with 160hours.Oil changed every other trip.You can hear it run and drive it in my boat now.Call around to ask and see what its worth.I already called Pfaff,both Teagues,Peto and some guys from the east coast to get a ball park.You make some calls and see what you come up with.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2322000_DCB_Mach26_029-med.jpg

summerlove
07-27-2004, 01:15 PM
Thanks, I'll do that!
Everything except CMI's.Complete,bell housing,wiring harness,computer,fuel pump,just bolt it in and hook it up.I mean eveything.make me a reasonable offer.
2000 with 160hours.Oil changed every other trip.You can hear it run and drive it in my boat now.Call around to ask and see what its worth.I already called Pfaff,both Teagues,Peto and some guys from the east coast to get a ball park.You make some calls and see what you come up with.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2322000_DCB_Mach26_029-med.jpg

Jordy
07-27-2004, 01:22 PM
So you're selling the engine and keeping the boat? Selling them both? Keeping the boat and putting a sail in it? :confused: :D

summerlove
07-27-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by jordanpaulk
So you're selling the engine and keeping the boat? Selling them both? Keeping the boat and putting a sail in it? :confused: :D
Keeping my current boat, buying a new engine and hopefully selling my existing Merc 7.4 330 hp set up for a few dollars....

NashvilleBound
07-27-2004, 02:19 PM
I remember when my HP looked like that....anyways, go with the HP500EFI. You will have zero problems and a ton of power with the option of upgrading to the Whipple like me. Cant go wrong...170 hrs is nothin!

Jrocket
07-27-2004, 03:20 PM
Parting it out on ebay.:D

Jordy
07-27-2004, 05:38 PM
I'll keep my eye out. ;)
I did your boat, but for the fact it's a 26' and insurance is through the roof, not to mention a little on the small side of the cat line up for the big blue. :(
Other than that I'd be all over it. :D

Jrocket
07-27-2004, 05:46 PM
I'll keep my eye out. ;)
I did your boat, but for the fact it's a 26' and insurance is through the roof, not to mention a little on the small side of the cat line up for the big blue. :(
Other than that I'd be all over it. :D
Insurance has a twist to it.It can be done cheap.What big blue do you mean.Havasu doesnt bother it,now the ocean isnt a good place for the 26!

Jordy
07-27-2004, 06:31 PM
I'm talking the big blue as in the ocean. Looking for something for Havasu/ocean adventures for the next floating toy. :D

Jrocket
07-27-2004, 07:06 PM
I'm talking the big blue as in the ocean. Looking for something for Havasu/ocean adventures for the next floating toy. :D
You do remember how far you are from the ocean right?

KACHINA KEN
07-27-2004, 07:34 PM
7 short hours:D

paradigm shift
07-27-2004, 07:52 PM
500hp is a great motor. I have to say though that with a set of heads and a few parts you can take that 330 up close to 500hp pretty easy. Just depends on what you want to do and how much you have to spend. You could no doupt save a few coins if you do your own motor work and have a good machine shop to the prep on block. Depends on if you want to do the build up or buy turn key. Great to have choices. :D

summerlove
07-28-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by paradigm shift
500hp is a great motor. I have to say though that with a set of heads and a few parts you can take that 330 up close to 500hp pretty easy. Just depends on what you want to do and how much you have to spend. You could no doupt save a few coins if you do your own motor work and have a good machine shop to the prep on block. Depends on if you want to do the build up or buy turn key. Great to have choices. :D
I've been told by a number of mechanics/experts that my motor isn't worth the money to build. Whatever the good stuff is, mine doesn't have it. Hence, the search for either a replacement with a little more power.
What would you think 470 hp over 330 would give me in overall top speed. Currently about 52-53 MPH at WOT (4800rpm)?

sleekster
07-28-2004, 12:40 PM
just a thought here you can get a brand new crate 454 4bolt main and some other nice goodies putting out an honest 425 hp for approx. 4600.00 not enough power? swap a cam sell your core to offset the cost bada bing bada boom your floatin in the water a.s.ap. when you add up the cost and risk of putting your own stuff together it is a hard sell these days oh yeah not to mention the discrepencies between desktop dyno and real world, one never really knows what you got until you dyno it. unless of course you have the time and money to build motor after motor and change one component at a time to see the effect.

summerlove
07-28-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by sleekster
just a thought here you can get a brand new crate 454 4bolt main and some other nice goodies putting out an honest 425 hp for approx. 4600.00 not enough power? swap a cam sell your core to offset the cost bada bing bada boom your floatin in the water a.s.ap. when you add up the cost and risk of putting your own stuff together it is a hard sell these days oh yeah not to mention the discrepencies between desktop dyno and real world, one never really knows what you got until you dyno it. unless of course you have the time and money to build motor after motor and change one component at a time to see the effect.
yea, I don't want any reliability problems. My current package has never failed me (knock on wood). I have a friend who builds marine high hp motors, butn mostly for v-drives. I think I'll go with him and use your sugested route.
Thanks!

Jordy
07-28-2004, 01:13 PM
Yep, but whatever I do will work in Havasu, and the g/f has family with a house in San Diego, so it will work out good that way too. :D

Jordy
07-28-2004, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by KACHINA KEN
7 short hours:D
You drive way too slow then... ;) :D

Jrocket
07-28-2004, 01:21 PM
Yep, but whatever I do will work in Havasu, and the g/f has family with a house in San Diego, so it will work out good that way too. :D
You stud you....:D

N2Lake
07-28-2004, 01:28 PM
I've got the Imco Powerflows and MSD so I won't need those. How much?????? What year and how many hours?
I would be a player on the CMIs

Jrocket
07-28-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by LoneStarRage
I would be a player on the CMIs
Check Offshoreonly.com..in the classifieds area,they get CMI's go through there sometimes.If not Chief racing engines has great deals on them.

paradigm shift
07-28-2004, 04:58 PM
yea, I don't want any reliability problems. My current package has never failed me (knock on wood). I have a friend who builds marine high hp motors, butn mostly for v-drives. I think I'll go with him and use your sugested route.
Thanks!
If you have someone you trust go with them. 500hp is not that much. There are a LOT of cast cranks out there running 500hp no problem and in 2 bolt main blocks. The new hypeurtectic pistons on a non -blown motor make a sweet combination and will last with no detonation no problem. Rods are pretty cheap but a recondition and new good ARP bolts will go a long way on stock rods. Just my.02 but crate motors have been known to fail and you have no warranty anyway. Nothing wrong with a GOOD seasoned block and a trusted mechanic.
Big difference between 500hp and 850hp on parts required. I like to do my own stuff as you can tell. Hardest part to me is finding a GOOD machine shop to do prep work. Best of luck in your engine choice.

78Southwind
07-28-2004, 06:25 PM
:)

Havasu Cig
07-28-2004, 06:30 PM
I have 150 hours on my 500 EFI's with no problems at all, and my buddy just finally grenanded one but that was after 750 hours. Amazing motor.:cool: