PDA

View Full Version : Shockwave and B&H Boats

Bob Hostetter
07-27-2004, 11:46 AM
Anyone had any dealings with either of these companies or their product's?
What was your opinion of the staff, their business dealings, and boats?
Don't want to start a flame war, just curious about their repuations?
Thanks,

hd&boatrider
07-27-2004, 11:57 AM
I have a SW and I have had nothing but good luck with it. Well, the bimini snapped and they gave me a new one. The entire staff is very friendly and do what they say they are going to do. The boats are put together very well. Go visit their shop in Corona. Barry is the man to see. Jennifer works the front area and she just bought a SW herself.
We just had out SW regatta over the weekend and it was a blast. Someone even proposed to their GF there and she accepted. Good times for all.

rivercrazy
07-27-2004, 12:18 PM
Another very satisfied long term Shockwave owner here. They build a top notch product and they give you outstanding service before, during, and after delivery.
Personally, I don't think there is any comparison between the brands mentioned....:D

rposton1
07-27-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
Another very satisfied long term Shockwave owner here. They build a top notch product and they give you outstanding service before, during, and after delivery.
Personally, I don't think there is any comparison between the brands mentioned....:D
DITTO!!!

ULTRA28
07-27-2004, 01:07 PM
Nothing against B&H, but there is really no comparison between the two in my opinion. Shockwave builds a great boat, everybody there is top notch.

dicudmore
07-27-2004, 01:09 PM
only ever heard good things about Shockwave, and met some really cool Shockwave owners :D
B&H used to be laid up by Aftershock, not sure their current deal. Decent looking boats, don't know any actual owners at this point. All of their models appear to "share" lines of other boats
EDIT: The guy posting above me probably knows a little bit more about it than I do :D

Steamin' Rice
07-27-2004, 01:57 PM
I don't know anything about B & H.
My experience with Shockwave has been great. I bought a 29 from them in 2002, and am currently having them build a 34 for me. Barry has gone out of his way to help us out several times in the past.

bordsmnj
07-27-2004, 03:15 PM
nobodies gonna post the pic of that boat dumped on the ramp?:D
<<-------just thought shit needed stiring.FLAME ON!
seriously though i'm not a fan of shockwave for my own personal reasons but i still would not even compare the two AT ANY PRICE.:rolleyes:
just go buy the shockwave and fuggita'bout it:D

PlaneNutz
07-27-2004, 04:32 PM
Happy as hell with mine!

slink
07-27-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by PlaneNutz
Happy as hell with mine! Same here.

FRENCHIE
07-27-2004, 07:17 PM
ditto....what all previous have sai had mine three months now!!!ecellent cust service, great quality boat and for my motor package and size 25'...almost nothing with comparable stuff keeps up with me!! not bragging jus tthe truth!!;)

XTRM22
07-27-2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by ULTRA28
Nothing against B&H, but there is really no comparison between the two in my opinion. Shockwave builds a great boat, everybody there is top notch.
HMM hey ULTRA28, you know anything about those guys over at Ultra, I hear they're pretty cool.;) Sorry, sometimes I just crack me up!! :D I don't know anything about B&H either but I've seen a lot of cool ShockWaves and talked to some happy owners. For the record I think Ultra does a hellofa nice job to.
Chuck

roln 20s
07-27-2004, 08:03 PM
I don't own a shockwave, but have toured their factory and it was one of the best boating experiences I have had--just a top notch company--and their boats are pretty bad ass :) :D
Frenchie-- what speed are you seeing with that "blue motor?"
BTW- I love your colors, and boy does it look good on the water.
As for B&H, no experience with them at all. Not a bad looking boat though.
Roln 20s

SoCalOffshore
07-27-2004, 09:12 PM
I vote Shockwave over the Water Rod. :D

FRENCHIE
07-28-2004, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by roln 20s
I don't own a shockwave, but have toured their factory and it was one of the best boating experiences I have had--just a top notch company--and their boats are pretty bad ass :) :D
Frenchie-- what speed are you seeing with that "blue motor?"
BTW- I love your colors, and boy does it look good on the water.
As for B&H, no experience with them at all. Not a bad looking boat though.
Roln 20s
dont have the blue...have the 496 ho and ...i dont rely on the factory speedo although it dont seem to far off ! several weeks back down by topac gps at 72.6 mph...last dam run with DHO....we had it on the gps at 71.4 mph...
it seems to do right around 70-70.4 pmh pretty consiistently with 4- 6 people on board...no probs...but to hit the 71-72 mph jus the wifey and i on board! cant complain with this one....BD over at SHockwave along with almos tanyone who has boated with me or next to me:D (i.e. Force26 with 500 e.f.i) thinks i got a hot motor! p.m. force 26 onthis one he will let y aknow what happened....he wants revenge at dam runII!!:rolleyes: ;)

Essex502
07-28-2004, 06:02 AM
Go Shockwave if it's down to the shortlist of the two. Just get you deal in writing. :D

Quality Time
07-28-2004, 08:07 AM
I don't own a SW, but ran with a few on the Dam Run I. They ran great, handled any of the conditions we encountered and are great looking boats. Have spoke with a few owners and they are very pleased and proud of their rigs and from what I see, they should be :cool:
Who/what are B&H?

dicudmore
07-28-2004, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Quality Time
I don't own a SW, but ran with a few on the Dam Run I. They ran great, handled any of the conditions we encountered and are great looking boats. Have spoke with a few owners and they are very pleased and proud of their rigs and from what I see, they should be :cool:
Who/what are B&H?
this is all I know about them....other than the infamous launch incident that someone has pics of. I'll dig it up if somebody wants to see it...
B&H waterrod website (http://www.waterrod.com/)
This website appears to be down. I looked at it a while back and they had some pics of different models...

Bob Hostetter
07-28-2004, 10:15 AM
B&H is a small company located in San Bernardino, Ca. They appear to have their hulls laid up by someone else and then do their own rigging at their place.
I would love to the pictures of and hear the story of the "launch Ramp Incident"...............
Thanks for info guys,

dicudmore
07-28-2004, 10:35 AM
story and pictures here (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30334&highlight=B%26H+Water+rod)
sample picture
http://www.havasudoug.com/images/posts/rampmishap1.jpg

FRENCHIE
07-28-2004, 10:36 AM
as you can see im part of those who live in the san berdoo region (highland) im a little skeptical of this B & h ...ive heard of them....but do yourself a favor ... wear a bullet proof vest if ya go down to check em out!!;) :p

dicudmore
07-28-2004, 10:50 AM
more info as well here (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45165&highlight=Water+Rod)

KineticoH20
07-28-2004, 12:22 PM
Although i just purchased a Genesis 251 my second choice would have been Shockwave,they do thier job well and as stated Barry is a nice guy!

RobR.
07-28-2004, 12:41 PM
That picture cracks me up. The guy with his hands on his head is classic. That boat sure looks like an aftershock.

Havasu_Dreamin
07-28-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by RobR.
That picture cracks me up. The guy with his hands on his head is classic. That boat sure looks like an aftershock.
You think?? :D

jbtrailerjim
07-28-2004, 02:13 PM
Well if I was choosing between the two. Shockwave would be my definite choice. They build a damn nice boat. I've never owned one but did visit them several times when I was shopping last summer for a boat. I've also have yet to hear of one unhappy Shockwave owner. Everyone that owns one on here seems very happy with there boat and the way they have been treated.
Water Rods I know nothing about them. I've seen a few in Havasu. They look ok but I'm not too crazy about there gel coats.They all kinda look the same and have the same 3 or 4 colors in them. Fades are kind of crappy and they just look kind of blah. But maybe thats how the buyers wanted them. If I'm not mistaken. I thought I had heard Aftershock lays up there hulls. I may be wrong though on that.
My parents ran into a family friend in Havasu last month that was about to take delivery of a new Water Rod 270. I have not had a chance to talk to him yet. But I'm eager to see his boat and get a closer look at one.

beer hunter
07-28-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by slink
Same here.
Me too!!!! :D
I own a 25' Tremor and couldn't be happier with the overall performance of the boat. This is a hull that has good speed (70+mph W/496HO and light load) and will leave most 25s looking like 23s (most are only 23.5') when the water gets rough. :D
The boat has excellent fit and finish and the customer service I've received has been outstanding. It's also very reasonably priced. :)
As John said, "there is really no comparison between the two in my opinion" and I agree! :D

RiverDave
07-28-2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Bob Hostetter
Anyone had any dealings with either of these companies or their product's?
What was your opinion of the staff, their business dealings, and boats?
Don't want to start a flame war, just curious about their repuations?
Thanks,
You have got to be kidding right? LOL... :D
B & H "WaterRod" vs Shockwave? If it's between those two then it wouldn't even be a close decision.. Shockwave hands down.
If you want the answer to your question just call WaterRod and ask to talk to the owner.. Scoopy I believe his name is.
RD

Tremor Therapy
07-28-2004, 03:12 PM
I'll chime in on this debate as well. I am on my second Shockwave, and really did a lot of research prior to this purchase. I looked at Nordic, Lavey, Hallet, Ultra, Essex, Howard, DCB, and Eliminator.
They all had excellent qualities, and many satisfied owners to back them up. But in the end, the boat I found that had the greatest value was the Shockwave. Not to mention the customer service and friendly people.
I am extremely satisfied with my 25 Tremor. In fact, the only thing I would do different if I had to do it all over again, would be to give it more power. ;)

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-28-2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
B & H "WaterRod" vs Shockwave? If it's between those two then it wouldn't even be a close decision.. Shockwave hands down.
If you want the answer to your question just call WaterRod and ask to talk to the owner.. Scoopy I believe his name is.
RD
:confused: :eek: :D LMAO

shockwavebd
07-28-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
RD
Classic...Dave..:D

FRENCHIE
07-28-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by shockwavebd
Classic...Dave..:D
what about my sexy tractor comment in the sanbar for ya BD!!??:( :confused: :p

THOR
07-28-2004, 07:52 PM
Scooby?
No f'n way.......
THOR <--- will post again when he is done laughing his a$$ off

playdeep
07-28-2004, 08:58 PM
....I thought it was Scooby?
I met the guy a few years ago while anchored by the bouy's at Copper Canyon.
He floated around trying to get someone to race his self pro-claimed "bad-ass v-bottom".Finally made enough noise that a couple of motored up Daytona's took him up on his offer.
Ended up getting smoked,and we all got a good laugh at his expense...
The guy is a trip:rolleyes:

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-28-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by playdeep
....I thought it was Scooby?
I met the guy a few years ago while anchored by the bouy's at Copper Canyon.
He floated around trying to get someone to race his self pro-claimed "bad-ass v-bottom".Finally made enough noise that a couple of motored up Daytona's took him up on his offer.
Ended up getting smoked,and we all got a good laugh at his expense...
The guy is a trip:rolleyes:
I remember a 32 Commander :D smoked off 6 of his water rods from the 270, 300 and a CAT :eek: all at the sametime at Lake Mead last year. In fact I heard the 32 was the last to exit the no wake zone and the water rods were on full throttle, but the were run down one by one :eek:

Kilrtoy
07-28-2004, 10:09 PM
remember a 32 Commander smoked off 6 of his water rods from the 270, 300 and a CAT all at the sametime at Lake Mead last year. In fact I heard the 32 was the last to exit the no wake zone and the water rods were on full throttle, but the were run down one by one
i didnt realize that commander with twin 496's was that fast:D :cool: :D

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-29-2004, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
remember a 32 Commander smoked off 6 of his water rods from the 270, 300 and a CAT all at the sametime at Lake Mead last year. In fact I heard the 32 was the last to exit the no wake zone and the water rods were on full throttle, but the were run down one by one
i didnt realize that commander with twin 496's was that fast:D :cool: :D
;) me neither it must have been a tail wind I caught

dicudmore
07-29-2004, 10:07 AM
Scoopy or Scooby???
I've read here a few times Scoopy.....
I remember a 32 Commander smoked off 6 of his water rods from the 270, 300 and a CAT all at the sametime at Lake Mead last year. In fact I heard the 32 was the last to exit the no wake zone and the water rods were on full throttle, but they were run down one by one
I didn't know there were that many of them on the water :eek:
was it a regatta???

BROS&HOS
07-29-2004, 03:03 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dicudmore
[
B&H used to be laid up by Aftershock, not sure their current deal. Decent looking boats, don't know any actual owners at this point. All of their models appear to "share" lines of other boats
Shockwave's used to be laid up by West Coast Tooling (dba Aftershock). They use to share a building down in Elsinore. I think thats how Alex @ Aftershock came up with the name.
I would definetly go with the Shockwave, super cool guys with a great product.

redneckgirl
07-29-2004, 09:49 PM
Another happy Shockwave owner here!!! We have the baby boat 21' Step Skier... and love it... We have GPS our SS with 7 people (4 adults & 3 kids) at 62 MPH... we have the 6.2 MPI!!! Customer service is awesome!!! Just got back from the regatta last night... what a blast... My first trip to the zoo... it handled the chop awesome!!! IMHO go for the Shockwave... PM me with any ???
RNG

rivercrazy
07-30-2004, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by BROS&HOS
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dicudmore
[
Shockwave's used to be laid up by West Coast Tooling (dba Aftershock). They use to share a building down in Elsinore. I think thats how Alex @ Aftershock came up with the name.
Alex used to work at Shockwave. Shockwave's have always been manufactured by Shockwave.:wink:

BROS&HOS
07-30-2004, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
Alex used to work at Shockwave. Shockwave's have always been manufactured by Shockwave.:wink:
So Alex was running a his business (West Coast Tooling) while he worked for Shockwave?
He laid my boat up and 3 other non-Shockwave boats that I know of during a couple week period that I was dealing with him. I wrote a check to West Coast Tooling, not Shockwave. He was also tooling a couple Aftershock boats while they were "sharing" the building.
Not trying to cause any drama, this was back in early '99. I don't think he was every on the Shockwave payroll, but I could be wrong.
Either way, they still build a sweet boat.

rivercrazy
07-30-2004, 08:51 AM
My understanding was he was an employee of Shockwave before breaking out on his own with Aftershock.
West Coast Tooling was doing business before Shockwave was formed and Danny, Bob, and Alex were all involved in WCT. Before building Shockwave's, WCT was freelancing building boats for a lot of other manufacturers like Eliminator, Caliber One, Cole, Ultra, and a few others.

bordsmnj
07-30-2004, 02:21 PM
i thought alex was actually a partner in shockwave. ? the whole story isn't being told here(i know this for fact).....and i don't think it should be. it ain't my business.

Kilrtoy
07-30-2004, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by bordsmnj
i thought alex was actually a partner in shockwave. ? the whole story isn't being told here(i know this for fact).....and i don't think it should be. it ain't my business.
In an old article in 98, 99 in HB, it states this I. I remember him from when I used to make that 135MPH trac all the way down there when I was buy my boat....

Magic34
08-04-2004, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by ULTRA28
The people at Ultra have a lot of class.
Every Shockwave I have seen is very nice, never seen a B&H.

BoatFloating
08-04-2004, 09:14 PM
B&H is a small company located in San Bernardino, Ca. They appear to have their hulls laid up by someone else and then do their own rigging at their place.
I would love to the pictures of and hear the story of the "launch Ramp Incident"...............
Thanks for info guys,
Aftershock does the layup for them. I can tell you that the layup is good, what happens after that is anyones guess. Alot of them are all white then B&H paints them :eek!: