PDA

View Full Version : Who has made the conscious decision, to never have kids?

78Eliminator
07-27-2004, 12:01 PM
Just cuious here.....

Froggystyle
07-27-2004, 12:02 PM
Me, big time.

Slick
07-27-2004, 12:02 PM
ME !!!!!!!
Ever again, that is:D

hd&boatrider
07-27-2004, 12:03 PM
Tom Leykis :) I am done...I have 1 and he is enough to handle....

Sleek-Jet
07-27-2004, 12:04 PM
All the women I've been involved with have made the decision for me. :rolleyes:

Dr. Eagle
07-27-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by 78Eliminator
Just cuious here.....
Is this for "the good of mankind" LOL or other reasons?

HCS
07-27-2004, 12:08 PM
I was one of those guys. Now I have 2 kids.:eek:

superdave013
07-27-2004, 12:11 PM
Me and I have to admit I'm kinda regretting it now.

slink
07-27-2004, 12:13 PM
I was until my daughter came along.................now cant wait to get home every night. She's 3 1/2 so ask my again in 10 yrs :D

78Eliminator
07-27-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
Is this for "the good of mankind" LOL or other reasons?
For any reason. I'm just kind of wondering; kind of wanted to get a general consensus. We all have our own reasons, I am just wondering who has made this decision.

OGShocker
07-27-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by HARDCORE-SKI
When are you going to marry the girl?... :D

Froggystyle
07-27-2004, 12:17 PM
Here is my reason... The world already has enough booger eaters.
In actuality, I think it takes a whole lot more than perciverence to raise a kid. The WANT to succeed, and the love of your kids is mandatory. I think it takes a whole lot more than that to contribute some meaningful new human to society. I have many reasons not to have them, but here are a couple big ones.
A) I would need to start my own school. School is bullshit, and the best teachers are limited by what nearsighted adminstrators and crooked politicians can allow them to do. Teachers have to often pay for their own materials, and work a million hours without pay to just keep the classes going forward. I learned little in school, far more in field trips. I would hire one retired teacher, and one brand new idealogical teacher, get five or six of my freinds kids that are the same age, get a big ass van and watch the learning commence. They would be through reqired school curriculum in about 1.5 hours a day. Spend the rest of the day doing field trips, learning to cook, play music etc...
And private schools are no answer. Most are religious, so we have problem #1. They are damn near as backwards. No threat of lawsuit is the only way to practice medicine or teach kids. Period.
B) I hate most kids. Nothing pisses me off more than some little craphead in a restaurant standing on their seat and looking at you over the back of the booth. Parents do not want to control their kids. I have met some very well behaved and adjusted kids, but as soon as they make it into society, they are no longer under your control. They are under the control of the MTV generation, and the lazy ass rest of the world. If you try to keep a grip, in comparison to the rest of America you will appear overbearing, and there is no better way to lose total control, as they will rebel as soon as they are able to.
C) Discipline. I am positive I would go to jail in todays society for what I would discipline for, and how I would do it. One screaming kid in a department store would do it for me. That kid would be spanked into submission! This goes across the board. For the most part, parents have been pansied into not disciplining their kids in public, and so the kids pay in "private" if at all. I watched one of my buddies mutant little shit run away from him as he was trying to scold them. Then he started counting... then he got to three and started yelling again... then he started counting.... etc... If my parents had even gotten to the counting phase, that was the number of licks I was going to get no matter how fast I made it over there!
D) I like my weekends the way they are.
Boy, am I going to piss off some parents with this post... ;)

78Eliminator
07-27-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by superdave013
How can you regret it when you are still young enough to do it?

Essex502
07-27-2004, 12:21 PM
That's me! 48 and never had any of my own - wife has one that's now in her twenties and on her own. I realized right from the start that I wasn't suited to be a daddy! :D

lucky
07-27-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by superdave013
I'm 35 i love boats and i will play catch with you -- DAD can i take the boat out now ? :cool: :D

Havasu_Dreamin
07-27-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Froggystyle
If my parents had even gotten to the counting phase, that was the number of licks I was going to get no matter how fast I made it over there!
Exactly! I got my a$$ beat numerous times, deservedly so and I think I turned out pretty good and I'm still very proud of my parents.
Good topic 78, I've been pondering this subject as of late.

Essex502
07-27-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Havasu_Dreamin
Exactly! I got my a$$ beat numerous times, deservedly so and I think I turned out pretty good and I'm still very proud of my parents.
Good topic 78, I've been pondering this subject as of late.
Any particular reason....???? Just keep the raincoat on at all times until you're abso-focking-lutely sure you want to be locked into 18 years of support!:D

Sleek-Jet
07-27-2004, 12:25 PM
Here is my reason... The world already has enough booger eaters.
In actuality, I think it takes a whole lot more than perciverence to raise a kid. The WANT to succeed, and the love of your kids is mandatory. I think it takes a whole lot more than that to contribute some meaningful new human to society. I have many reasons not to have them, but here are a couple big ones.
A) I would need to start my own school. School is bullshit, and the best teachers are limited by what nearsighted adminstrators and crooked politicians can allow them to do. Teachers have to often pay for their own materials, and work a million hours without pay to just keep the classes going forward. I learned little in school, far more in field trips. I would hire one retired teacher, and one brand new idealogical teacher, get five or six of my freinds kids that are the same age, get a big ass van and watch the learning commence. They would be through reqired school curriculum in about 1.5 hours a day. Spend the rest of the day doing field trips, learning to cook, play music etc...
And private schools are no answer. Most are religious, so we have problem #1. They are damn near as backwards. No threat of lawsuit is the only way to practice medicine or teach kids. Period.
B) I hate most kids. Nothing pisses me off more than some little craphead in a restaurant standing on their seat and looking at you over the back of the booth. Parents do not want to control their kids. I have met some very well behaved and adjusted kids, but as soon as they make it into society, they are no longer under your control. They are under the control of the MTV generation, and the lazy ass rest of the world. If you try to keep a grip, in comparison to the rest of America you will appear overbearing, and there is no better way to lose total control, as they will rebel as soon as they are able to.
C) Discipline. I am positive I would go to jail in todays society for what I would discipline for, and how I would do it. One screaming kid in a department store would do it for me. That kid would be spanked into submission! This goes across the board. For the most part, parents have been pansied into not disciplining their kids in public, and so the kids pay in "private" if at all. I watched one of my buddies mutant little shit run away from him as he was trying to scold them. Then he started counting... then he got to three and started yelling again... then he started counting.... etc... If my parents had even gotten to the counting phase, that was the number of licks I was going to get no matter how fast I made it over there!
D) I like my weekends the way they are.
A.) Agreed, but there are options. Smaller schools are better, but you usually have to move to a small town to get those (speaking as a small town kid who went to a small school)
B.) I used to until my Niece came along 5 years ago. Now, I can see why people have kids. She is made to behave in public though, unlike some kids.
C.) Agreed... no arguments here. The teach kids to tell the teacher if mommy or daddy hit them. :rolleyes: Which has it's place, but the people who abuse their kids have them so scared there is no way they are going to tell anyone about it.
D.) Kids are great for fetching beer. :D

C-2
07-27-2004, 12:31 PM
We planned on getting set financially before we started a family. When it beacame apparent those plans were somewhat vague and unachievable (afterall, when is enough money - enough money), we decided to start our family. We didn't plan on having problems getting prego, which almost sent our "plan" down the tubes (no pun intended).
So after 12 years of marriage we finally had a little one, and it's been great every since.
This coming from a guy who THOUGHT he would never have kids.
:rolleyes:

Freak
07-27-2004, 12:34 PM
The wife and I are 34 and have "currently" decided not to basically because we have no internal urge to. (I applied no pressure. She came to her own decision by me stating I would consider if she wanted them.) Now it is a woman’s prerogative to change her mind at anytime for no reason. So……

78Eliminator
07-27-2004, 12:35 PM
I guess I can lay my ass out here as well, since Wes did. The following are in addition to the comments Wes made, which I agreed with 100%
These are just some of maybe a list of 100.
#1 I will not have kids because I can't raise them and give them 100% of my time. Like mentioned above, my words and my guidance will fall to the wayside as soon as our public or any private scholastic system gets a hold of them. I will not "half ass" raise a human being. I will not send them to day care, have a baby sitter, and subject them to low digit IQ bullies who beat the enthusiasm and human spirit out of them on the playground. I don't want them to be taught to MEMORIZE things and take them as factual; I want them to be taught to THINK.
#2 The first time my child gets beat up, picked on, bullied, threatened or physically assaulted, I would be arrested for homicide.
#3 The people who are having children, for the most part, would not compliment my child. I am stopping my family tree right here and now. The world can't abuse any more of us.
#4 I want to be something exceptional. I will never achieve that with a child. I know some people have, but I know I would not be able to because of #1 and #2.
#5 I would take personal responsibility for all the pain and suffering my child would endure during their life. I can't take that kind of guilt.

Freak
07-27-2004, 12:37 PM
#3 The people who are having children, for the most part, would not compliment my child. I am stopping my family tree right here and now. The world can't abuse any more of us.
LOL...

Froggystyle
07-27-2004, 12:42 PM
I#3 The people who are having children, for the most part, would not compliment my child. I am stopping my family tree right here and now. The world can't abuse any more of us.
I am thinking of putting this as my signature!
I am really trying to find that quote about the Revolution looking like a Sea Doo though. If I can find that.... I have a new sig....

malibuken
07-27-2004, 12:43 PM
I am one of the few who decided at a young age to not have kids, and it has not changed over the years. Do not get me wrong, it is not that I do not like them, I just do not want to raise my own.
As stated by others, I like my weekends the way they are, kids would get in the way. That may be selfish, but I am enjoying life, as well as the lady in my life. :)

Ziggy
07-27-2004, 12:44 PM
I guess I can lay my ass out here as well, since Wes did. The following are in addition to the comments Wes made, which I agreed with 100%
These are just some of maybe a list of 100.
#1 I will not have kids because I can't raise them and give them 100% of my time. Like mentioned above, my words and my guidance will fall to the wayside as soon as our public or any private scholastic system gets a hold of them. I will not "half ass" raise a human being. I will not send them to day care, have a baby sitter, and subject them to low digit IQ bullies who beat the enthusiasm and human spirit out of them on the playground. I don't want them to be taught to MEMORIZE things and take them as factual; I want them to be taught to THINK.
#2 The first time my child gets beat up, picked on, bullied, threatened or physically assaulted, I would be arrested for homicide.
#4 I want to be something exceptional. I will never achieve that with a child. I know some people have, but I know I would not be able to because of #1 and #2.
#5 I would take personal responsibility for all the pain and suffering my child would endure during their life. I can't take that kind of guilt.
All valid reasons but there is nothing like coming home from a hard day at work and having your child come running to you with open arms, then the big squeaze hug and loving eyes...its unconditional and irreplaceable with anything....and I mean ANYTHING;) Unless you have your own there is no way of knowing what we parents do have......outside of the tantrums/hissyfits/Ihateyous and all the other BS they throw our way.

Froggystyle
07-27-2004, 12:44 PM
The real bummer is, I am the fifth. As in GW Inskeep V. What a bummer to have to break that line, huh?

hoolign
07-27-2004, 12:46 PM
I think my parents could chime in here :D

Racer277
07-27-2004, 12:48 PM
I'm with you both froggy and 78 to an extent.
I don't worry so much about school, I don't think it teaches sheet, except how to get along in social situations-which I think is equally or more important than intelligence.
I also don't (with no kids mind you) think I will be too stressed over the little punk getting hurt. He/she needs it, scars cause nicknames, that's ok.
Everything else, right on.
Are you doing the right thing bringing a kid into this world?
I still don't have very many answers, how can I raise/teach/train another human being?
If I was closer to my parents (the best in the world) it might be a different decision, but I refuse to do a half-assed job.
That being said, I know both types of parents, some are the best in the world (a single mother friend comes to mind) some are a joke (successful husband, stay at home mom comes to mind).
Maybe I'll be missing out without someone to wipe my ass when I'm 70. Oh, Well.

Essex502
07-27-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Racer277
Maybe I'll be missing out without someone to wipe my ass when I'm 70. Oh, Well.
Be successful in life and hire someone to do that for you later in life...they'll kiss your ass too if you make enough money! :D

MAINEVENT
07-27-2004, 12:50 PM
I here you, i now have three at 22 :confused:

NorCal Gameshow
07-27-2004, 12:51 PM
The real bummer is, I am the fifth. As in GW Inskeep V. What a bummer to have to break that line, huh?
The race isn't over yet..;)

Boozer
07-27-2004, 12:52 PM
Based on the fact that I am only 23 right now I can't say for sure as to whether or not I will have children. There's a lot of criteria that I have to meet before I will consider having a child. I must be independantly wealthy, own a home, have all the toys I want already and so on. I have seen to many people say they are going to hold off for this reason or that reason and then they dont and the next thing you know they are no longer living for themselves. They can no longer take risks to better their career but instead must make sacrifices in their careers and lives to ensure that they will have enough money to get by with for the sake of their children. I like being child free and knowing that at just about any givin time I could be unemployed for 5-6 months and not have to worry about money. If I bring a family into the picture that will completely change things. If I have kids I want them to live a good life and never know what it's like to have to go without things.
If I dont achieve all of the things I want to achieve until I'm in my 40's then I will not be having children because I feel that 40's and up is to old to be having children.

Froggystyle
07-27-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by NorCal Gameshow
The race isn't over yet..;)
Yeah, no s hit. Everyone buy a Trident so I can afford my own school!!!
Think of it as a charity! ;)

78Eliminator
07-27-2004, 12:55 PM
One two fee foe, FIFTH!!!!!

Havasu Hangin'
07-27-2004, 12:56 PM
People don't have kids because they are selfish (time, money).
That's not necessarily a bad thing- it's better than having kids and ignoring them.

78Eliminator
07-27-2004, 12:59 PM
I have heard the statement "I had kids so I have someone to take care of me when I'm older." WAY too many times....
Talk about selfish.
When I get too old to take care of myself, or am shitting the bed on a regular basis, or I start sending money to Jerry Faldwell, I am going to kiss a bullet.

FREIND OF AA AND TA
07-27-2004, 01:00 PM
I used to hate kids until mine! The first time you see your kid ride a bike or say I love you, ITS ALL OVER!:)
It's the person you do it with is the question. :D

1stepcloser
07-27-2004, 01:03 PM
Me, big time.
:confused:
Wes, have you not personally thanked your father in your last company letter, for all he has done for you, something to the effect of "I could not have done this without all his support...etc."
Why wouldnt you want to share your life, or, more importantly, your future with your children?
Ask your Dad.....it's the kids that it worth it all.
Every reason you posted is indeed valid, but thats what defines a parent.
You put all your effort into a company, making it into what you believe will be the best boat built.
Put the same effort into your kids.
Someones gotta run the company when you're dead.

Froggystyle
07-27-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
That's not necessarily a bad thing- it's better than having kids and ignoring them.
That is certainly part of it. But, selfish in a weird way.
I am too selfish to have kids at less than 100% dedication.
Stupid analogy... I never got into DJ'ing before this year. I wanted to DJ, and you can get a cheap rig used for under $500 and start practicing. Eventually, you may be able to get some more stuff etc...
I didn't want to do that. I stayed out of it until I had the $5000+ to dump into gear. Once I had the moolah, I bought the best stuff, got good a lot quicker than the norm, and I am having a total blast now. Big PA, killer wheels and mixer, CD Dj setup, Final Scratch etc... I am now having a lot more fun because I was ready to do it right.
I see kids the same way. I want to do it right. I am already a little too old to be doing it perfectly, and as the days go on I get even further from what would be optimal.
The selfish part is because I don't want to do it part way. I want to do it as well as I can, not as well as can be expected considering...
So, I am selfish. My freinds are happy I waited on the DJ thing. No listening in an apartment at volume level 1 while I murder my way through a pair of crappy belt drive Vestax tables. I gave myself the best shot at success, and am happy with the results.

ROZ
07-27-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by 1stepcloser
Build a company that someone wants to buy from ya for mucho dinero....
Besides, boating as we know it will probably be outlawed in 30 years :frown:

Froggystyle
07-27-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by 1stepcloser
:confused:
Why wouldnt you want to share your life, or, more importantly, your future with your children?
Even by that example, in the best case scenario (I know everyone thinks their parents did a great job... I really believe it!) which is what example my parents provided... in the BEST CASE SCENARIO...
Your kid turns 30 and asks to borrow half a mil to start a boat company... and wants you to help!
NO THANKS!!!! ;)
Never! The plans die with me!
Nobody has said anything about clones. I have been working on it for years...

hot_diggity_dog
07-27-2004, 01:12 PM
Me, big time.
Me too!
Been together for 23years That's almost 7,000 times http://www.riverratlife.com/forums/board/ubb/graemlins/shag2.gif http://www.riverratlife.com/forums/board/ubb/graemlins/shag2.gif http://www.riverratlife.com/forums/board/ubb/graemlins/shag2.gif http://www.riverratlife.com/forums/board/ubb/graemlins/shag2.gif
HDD:D

rivercrazy
07-27-2004, 01:12 PM
Personally, I think having kids or not having kids is equally selfish. Your just decide what you want one way or the other. If you want kids your selfish for deciding that. Same applies on the other side of the coin.

Froggystyle
07-27-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by hot_diggity_dog
Me too!
Been together for 23years That's almost 7,000 times [IMG]
HDD:D
Beer math says that is every 1.18 days...
You get laid more than I do :mad:

78Eliminator
07-27-2004, 01:14 PM
Nobody has said anything about clones. I have been working on it for years...
Wes, you need to work on your self esteem. ;)

Mr.Havasu
07-27-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Ziggy
All valid reasons but there is nothing like coming home from a hard day at work and having your child come running to you with open arms, then the big squeaze hug and loving eyes...its unconditional and irreplaceable with anything....and I mean ANYTHING;) Unless you have your own there is no way of knowing what we parents do have......outside of the tantrums/hissyfits/Ihateyous and all the other BS they throw our way.
Well a dog comes darn close:D without the hizzy fits!

78Eliminator
07-27-2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by warlock25
Well a dog comes darn close:D without the hizzy fits!
And they learn how to shit and piss in the right place a lot faster....

hot_diggity_dog
07-27-2004, 01:18 PM
That's why I look so young. Toe shocker thought I was 29. LOL
HDD:cool:

ROZ
07-27-2004, 01:18 PM
The real bummer is, I am the fifth. As in GW Inskeep V. What a bummer to have to break that line, huh? Your brother could do it....

Froggystyle
07-27-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by ROZ
Your brother could do it....
Already asked him to. Said no.

uclahater
07-27-2004, 01:24 PM
some are a joke (successful husband, stay at home mom comes to mind).
Why is this a joke:confused: :confused:

THOR
07-27-2004, 01:25 PM
it's better than having kids and ignoring them.
HH, wanna come over to my crib and tell that to my neighbor. He is sitting in front of the computer with his 6 month old screaming hysterically for attention. A baby cries for only a few reasons, most of which the parents can help out with if they get off their lazy a$$es. If I can hear your kid from my living room, I know you can mutha ****a. Also, tell him to shut his f&^%ing dog up too.
Whew!!
Now, like what Froggy was addressing. When my daughter is not in a good mood at home and is crying or making noise, I make it a point to not let my neighbors hear out of respect. Also, when we are out and she is a tad loud, either I get up or my wife does and take her outside and apologize on the way out. That is just me, but I tend to respect folks and their time.

Havasu_Dreamin
07-27-2004, 01:29 PM
I never got into DJ'ing before this year. I wanted to DJ, and you can get a cheap rig used for under $500 and start practicing. Eventually, you may be able to get some more stuff etc...
I didn't want to do that. I stayed out of it until I had the $5000+ to dump into gear. Once I had the moolah, I bought the best stuff, got good a lot quicker than the norm, and I am having a total blast now. Big PA, killer wheels and mixer, CD Dj setup, Final Scratch etc... I am now having a lot more fun because I was ready to do it right.
Been there, done that. Technics 1200's and a Numark 1650 mixer is what I used to use back in the day. Have not done it in at least 10 years.

Froggystyle
07-27-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by THOR
Now, like what Froggy was addressing. When my daughter is not in a good mood at home and is crying or making noise, I make it a point to not let my neighbors hear out of respect. Also, when we are out and she is a tad loud, either I get up or my wife does and take her outside and apologize on the way out. That is just me, but I tend to respect folks and their time.
It is all about responsibility. I just spent a bazillion dollars on landscaping only to watch a neighbor walk his dog down the hill and watch it take a grumpo on my new lawn... :mad:
I didn't even ring his doorbell. I just walked up to his house with this steaming pile of hank in my shovel and put it on his doorstep, all while he watched from inside.
Oooops. Guess where I put it next time? Better leave your windows rolled up...

Froggystyle
07-27-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Havasu_Dreamin
Been there, done that. Technics 1200's and a Numark 1650 mixer is what I used to use back in the day. Have not done it in at least 10 years.
I just got the new Numark TTX's and a Tascam X-9 mixer. Industries finest! I was going to get Technics, but I noticed that every single set of them I saw used was because the owner bought TTX's. Do the math.
Too bad you are from the middle of nowhere... you should come over and spin!

THOR
07-27-2004, 01:33 PM
It is all about responsibility. I just spent a bazillion dollars on landscaping only to watch a neighbor walk his dog down the hill and watch it take a grumpo on my new lawn... :mad:
I didn't even ring his doorbell. I just walked up to his house with this steaming pile of hank in my shovel and put it on his doorstep, all while he watched from inside.
That is some funny shit. I love it when guys have the balls to do $hit then hide in their house.
Froggy,
Are you sure we dont live next door to each other? All of this stuff you are saying sure sounds like my crappy neighbor.

uclahater
07-27-2004, 01:35 PM
LMFAO:D

hoolign
07-27-2004, 01:35 PM
my dads neighbors let their mutt drop a bomb on his newly seeded lawn, dad just put up a sign that read"hey Fred your dog forgot to wipe his ass", he had a roll of toiletpaper hanging under the sign , the whole neighborhood saw it as they drove by..no more bombs on the lawn:D

OGShocker
07-27-2004, 01:36 PM
Yeah, but your sex includes a partner...:D

Havasu_Dreamin
07-27-2004, 01:36 PM
I just got the new Numark TTX's and a Tascam X-9 mixer. Industries finest! I was going to get Technics, but I noticed that every single set of them I saw used was because the owner bought TTX's. Do the math.
Too bad you are from the middle of nowhere... you should come over and spin!
At the time 1200's were the sh!t to have. I'm in So. Cal but it's been so long since I've done any mixing I'd probably sound like a first generation hack!

Havasu Hangin'
07-27-2004, 01:40 PM
Like I said, Thor...it's all about being a good parent (which takes up alot of time and commitment).
My neighbors are the same way...their kids are walking all over the neighborhood streets in diapers in 60 degree weather- very nice.
No one said parenting is easy...in fact- it's not. Like I said...it's not for everyone.
Wes- I know you are going to find this hard to believe, but I actually agree with 1stepcloser. If you put as much effort into parenting as you do with everything else in your life, you'd be surprised how much it would pay you back.
As for the rest of you jokers...if you have doubts about being a parent- then don't. There are too many half-ass parents out there already.

Essex502
07-27-2004, 01:41 PM
Having a little Xerox copy of you is the most selfish thing you can do.

BarryMac
07-27-2004, 01:49 PM
I don't hate kids, I just hate other peoples kids. I totally agree with the comments of having kids screaming in public, running all over restraunts, looking over your shoulder while your eating, that shit pisses me off. I will gaurantee you all one thing, you will never see my girls acting like that, I have taught them to respect others, we are invited places and we are always asked to bring our girls along because they behave so well and know how to respect their elders.
Parents that think we should all laugh when their little booger eater's act up piss me off. :mad: :mad:
Thanks for letting me rant...
gjb -------> stepping off the soap box...

BarryMac
07-27-2004, 01:50 PM
As for the rest of you jokers...if you have doubts about being a parent- then don't. There are too many half-ass parents out there already.
I concur...
gjb

HCS
07-27-2004, 01:50 PM
After reading some of the above comments I have to laugh.
Some of you guys better get your balls snipped.
Or else don't have sex. If you knock some bitch up and she
decides she wants the kid your f uc ked. Your going to have
a kid.
Then you have a whole different ball in your court.
For one you'll be cutting a check for the next 18 years.
:rolleyes:

JB in so cal
07-27-2004, 01:51 PM
I come from a family of five; my wife from a family of eight. Between us, we've got 17 nieces and nephews; I am a Godfather to 3. I have two dogs...
Really. I just didn't feel the urge to have kids and luckily for the both of us, my wife feels the same way I do (good thing because we probably would be apart, by now if that were the case)
I am selfish and I realize it! No problemo.
JB

gnarley
07-27-2004, 01:52 PM
I can agree with both sides of the fence, kind of like the way I see politics. I kind of always thought I’d have a kid or 2 and was so consumed by my own desires that by the time I met my wife who was then 39 and I 38 we were playing catch up. Seven years later and 2 pregnancy’s that ended early and many hormone shots later for my wife and we have no kids.
It took a huge toll on our relationship of which we are still healing from and have decided to not have children. Now the problem for us is finding friends who are not consumed by their kids and are able to relate to other adults without every other sentence spoken about the kids or school or sports and on and on. We live surrounded by families and don’t really want to get involved with families whose main focus is kids, which is about 99% of everyone. Though we do like kids if well behaved we don’t want to police them or correct them. But since we don’t have them we don’t care to deal with the problems or listen to the parents complain about them.
Let’s face it though; those of use who have chosen not to have kids or weren’t able to are a minority and it’s difficult to find other kid less couples to hang with.
And a message for any of you who are on the edge of waiting till the time is right to have kids. The time is never right and if you choose to wait it may become too late as in my wife’s case. We read a lot of literature about fertility and if you don’t know about it I recommend reading up on it. If you want the little ankle biters around the sooner you try to have them the better your chances. If you wait till age 35 for your wife her chances are already going down hill, and by age 40 the odds of having a healthy normal pregnancy are about 5% and at age 44 most fertility clinics won’t even talk to you any more.
So now in our mid 40’s we are somewhat of an anomaly and two years after giving up have mixed emotions and always looking for new friends who aren’t consumed by their kids or don’t have them.

78Eliminator
07-27-2004, 01:54 PM
My girlfriend wants to have kids.... :(

Racer277
07-27-2004, 01:59 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
[B]People don't have kids because they are selfish (time, money).
I think that is completely backwards. People have kids because they are selfish.
People have kids because "they want children". Yet my taxes go to putting these kids in school? My taxes pay the cops to keep them in school? And they get the tax break? WTF?
And meanwhile there are millions of kids who need homes, care, parents and are up for adoption. -"But we want our own" FU.
Why don't we let anyone who can afford kids have them. And by that I mean afford to completely raise, clothe, monitor, supervise, school, and teach a child until 18. They could also be required to pay for CPS types to check on them once in a while. Then these people won't use my tax money to raise their children.
I am aware that I like am selfish with my time, so I am not having children. Are others aware how selfish they are being by bringing more kids in the world?

JB in so cal
07-27-2004, 02:00 PM
Gnarley,
I'm with you. I don't even want to get into the "I need to leave early to__________with/for my kid" crowd.
I can't tell the boss I need to leave early to wax my boat or give my dog a bath!
JB

framer1
07-27-2004, 02:01 PM
me twice, wish I would made that decision about twice as much four would have been nice. Oh well.

Racer277
07-27-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by uclahater
Why is this a joke:confused: :confused:
My wife and I know a single mother who has the two best boys we have ever met. She is excellent with them, we would have her raise our kids if we were selfish.
I also know a couple-the husband is Very successful, wife is stay at home. Young son is a B$#@ARD. Can not go in public, and I refuse to have anything to do with it.
I don't know what it takes, if I did, maybe I would try. I know it takes more than money, more than "wanting a child". More than intentions. It takes an Angel to raise a child properly.
I am no Angel. I will have no kids, unless it is to adopt someone who really needs it.

uclahater
07-27-2004, 02:06 PM
My wife and I know a single mother who has the two best boys we have ever met. She is excellent with them, we would have her raise our kids if we were selfish.
I also know a couple-the husband is Very successful, wife is stay at home. Young son is a B$#@ARD. Can not go in public, and I refuse to have anything to do with it.
I don't know what it takes, if I did, maybe I would try. I know it takes more than money, more than "wanting a child". More than intentions. It takes an Angel to raise a child properly.
I am no Angel. I will have no kids, unless it is to adopt someone who really needs it.
Is this an only child?? and Kudos to the single mom thats the hardest job out there :) I dont know how they do it:cool:

Dave C
07-27-2004, 02:07 PM
I agree with Ziggy..... nothing beats those crumb crusher's unconditional love.... all the trantrums, episodes, cuts, bruises, etc. are only temporary.....
and you can de-program them from their school.
But if you don't want them then definitely don't have them!!!... you will go nuts.

Froggystyle
07-27-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by framer1
me twice, wish I would made that decision about twice as much four would have been nice. Oh well.
The rooster flies over the barn at midnight...
I assume we are speaking in code for some reason.. ;)

Tom Brown
07-27-2004, 02:12 PM
You're screwed.

ROZ
07-27-2004, 02:12 PM
My girlfriend wants to have kids.... :( You'd better get out your bud nippers :D

NashvilleBound
07-27-2004, 02:15 PM
Buddy of mine in VC is right around 49-50...2 grown kids...playing with some chicky and got her pregnant. 18 years at $1200. OUCH! I got cut after my second kid...no worries here.

BarryMac
07-27-2004, 02:23 PM
My thought on this comment is that parents like this expect everyone else to raise their kids. They are too busy trying to be someone that they lose sight of their child and he in this case becomes a little asshole that nobody wants to be around...
gjb

BowTie Rick
07-27-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by JB in so cal
Gnarley,
I'm with you. I don't even want to get into the "I need to leave early to__________with/for my kid" crowd.
I can't tell the boss I need to leave early to wax my boat or give my dog a bath!
JB
LOL, I've left early to clean the boat before the weekend. Boss said yes. Of course he has a boat too :D

AngryJosh
07-27-2004, 02:32 PM
I thought I would never have kids, because I enjoyed MY time. However, when my daughter came along that changed. Now I cannot wait to get home and see the silly things she says and does. A true joy in my life. I will also say that my wife and I agree that one is enough. We are young enough to watch her grow up, and then do the things we want to do. And we have taken the necessary measures to ensure that happens. SNIP SNIP.:eek: :eek:

gnarley
07-27-2004, 02:38 PM
I remember telling a few of my old friends who didn't want kids they better make sure and go get snipped, they didn't and ended up playing around with some younger gals also and got them pregnant. Now I say to them when I see them was the F*U*C*K*I*N*G you got worth the F*U*C*K*I*N*G your getting?
If you don't want kids and you’re a guy do the responsible thing, make sure a mistake doesn't happen. If it does you need to stand up and pay for your child because of the actions you chose. We shouldn't have to pay for a deadbeat dad or mom if they want kids, but that now gets into a whole other area that I won't discuss here, F’ing deadbeat parents! :mad:

Racer277
07-27-2004, 02:41 PM
A big thumbs up to all of you good parents. I can tell there are quite a few on these forums and you have my respect.
I am impressed to find there are so many who have decided not to have children. My outlook on the world brightens sometimes.

Desert Rat
07-27-2004, 02:43 PM
I did you one better. I knocked on the door and when the old fart opened the door he got a dust pan of Poodle crap down his hall way. Now I have two boys who witnessed this so I had to do A little parenting on the spot.. Boys when said dickhead respects our lawn we will respect his hallway :D

NashvilleBound
07-27-2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by gnarley
I remember telling a few of my old friends who didn't want kids they better make sure and go get snipped, they didn't and ended up playing around with some younger gals also and got them pregnant. Now I say to them when I see them was the F*U*C*K*I*N*G you got worth the F*U*C*K*I*N*G your getting?
If you don't want kids and you’re a guy do the responsible thing, make sure a mistake doesn't happen. If it does you need to stand up and pay for your child because of the actions you chose. We shouldn't have to pay for a deadbeat dad or mom if they want kids, but that now gets into a whole other area that I won't discuss here, F’ing deadbeat parents! :mad:
GO Charlie.....

Havasu Hangin'
07-27-2004, 02:48 PM
I am impressed to find there are so many who have decided not to have children.
This isn't exactly the "Hot Stroller Forums"...

Tom Brown
07-27-2004, 02:52 PM
I was sure that I didn't want to have children but now that I'm not able to and I feel kind of weird about it. It still feels like the right thing to not have kids but now it feels like it wouldn't have been so bad if it had happened.
I must be sprouting ovaries.

Floatin'
07-27-2004, 02:52 PM
No kids for the wife and I. 40 & 41. I have a friend with 5 girls from ages 2-12, he loves his kids but he wishes he had my lifestyle and freetime, oh and discretionary income.
My question is what quality of life can the children of today expect when they are older ? Less violence? Better education? Cleaner air and water? Less traffic? I think the days innocense (sp) ended in the 1950's-early 60's.
And another thought if I did ever have kids I definately want to have girls. At least with girls (usually) they want to have some kind of a relationship with their parents whe they grow up, no way is a grown son going to change his dads muddy diaper when he is older.

Bre
07-27-2004, 02:53 PM
I didn't read this whole thread..... but...
Andy did not think he wanted kids until he had one.... then we quickly tried for another one.
I quit my job...which I would have been making more money than Andy by now, to stay home with the kids. I didn't wanna miss a second... or have someone else raise my kids for me.
If you have the time, have one or two;) They will change your life forever. There is no other love like the love you will have for your children. It is even a stronger love than you have for your spouse. Maybe.... not stronger...but if I had to pick...... i would pick my kids any day over my hubby. He would do the same.
My kids have changed my life for the better...and neither one of us would ever regret having them.

Froggystyle
07-27-2004, 02:57 PM
To me, kids are kind of like an expensive car or boat that you are upside down in for payments... you really love it so much more when you can't get out from under them... ;)
J/K, but not really. It is easy to love something you are committed to no matter what. I loved being in the Navy. While I was in the middle of an enlistment anyway. Once out though I was like DAMN!!!!! This is so much nicer!

lucky
07-27-2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Tom Brown
I was sure that I didn't want to have children but now that I'm not able to and I feel kind of weird about it. It still feels like the right thing to not have kids but now it feels like it wouldn't have been so bad if it had happened.
I must be sprouting ovaries.
i thought you still where one ???? claify if i'm wrong :D

clownpuncher
07-27-2004, 02:59 PM
B) I hate most kids. Nothing pisses me off more than some little craphead in a restaurant standing on their seat and looking at you over the back of the booth.
C
I LMAO at that one. :D I can picure in my mind, some little kid banging on the back of the booth, pissing Wes off to no end. Using his skills learned in life and the SEAL teams, Wes manages to control his urges.
Then, the little kid has the balls to stand up and go eyeball to eyeball with thte already pissed off Wes Inskeep. Wes leans over and motions to the kid and whispers in his ear "psst, tell your dad to take control of his kid, or I will choke your dad until he shit's his pants" With a smile, Wes turns back around and actually enjoys the rest of his meal, in peace.
Hey Wes, I'm a parent, HELL I'm a grandparent, and you didn't piss me off or offend me at all. The same things bother me too. I guess I'm old school when it comes to kids ar grandkids. Discipline is where I'm strong. Gotta have it.

Tom Brown
07-27-2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by lucky
i thought you still where one ???? claify if i'm wrong :D
Yes. I have a strong urge to suckle.

Froggystyle
07-27-2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by clownpuncher
"psst, tell your dad to take control of his kid, or I will choke your dad until he shit's his pants" With a smile, Wes turns back around and actually enjoys the rest of his meal, in peace.
LMAO!!!
In movie speak, there is a thing called a "cutscene" where the story takes a decidedly different turn to some wild destination and then is reeled back in as a fantasy of one of the characters.
In "True Lies" Arnold has one when the used car salesman is trying to sell him the Corvette. The guy is sitting there talking about how much chicks dig this whole spy thing he is feeding them and Arnold reaches over and rips the guys throat out. Then in a blink, he is back in the car with the guy nodding about the "conquest".
I have those all of the time, and the one you just described is typical. :) In fact, my life is lived to a large degree in cutscenes. I often consider the satisfaction of taking that big turn, and sometimes just imagining it is enough to calm me down a little as I just nod and chew my food...
hehe.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
07-27-2004, 03:05 PM
Me and Jason are currently kid-less and don't really plan on having any. We like to think of our dog as our child. :D
While I am sure that having a child will change your life etc. I don't think there is anything wrong with being selfish and not having kids. We enjoy our lifestyle and while we have plenty of friends with kids who enjoy simliar lifestyles, I can honestly say I am happy with my husband and our dog.
This maternal clock is not ticking. :D

Tom Brown
07-27-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Mrs. Bordsmnj
Transation: Jason doesn't need to know that I've stopped taking my pills.

Froggystyle
07-27-2004, 03:08 PM
While I am sure that having a child will change your life etc...
Everyone acts like that is a good thing. Thing is, a bullet wound would change my life too. So would a lottery win, so would... etc.
I wouldn't want to change my life. I have the world by the balls right now. I am focused on a couple of things intently, and don't even want a second dog as it would complicate things right now.
I am selfish... :frown:

Mrs. Bordsmnj
07-27-2004, 03:09 PM
Transation: Jason doesn't need to know that I've stopped taking my pills.
LMAO :D
Will you be our first born's Canadian godfather?

Bre
07-27-2004, 03:10 PM
Me and Jason are currently kid-less and don't really plan on having any. We like to think of our dog as our child. :D
While I am sure that having a child will change your life etc. I don't think there is anything wrong with being selfish and not having kids. We enjoy our lifestyle and while we have plenty of friends with kids who enjoy simliar lifestyles, I can honestly say I am happy with my husband and our dog.
I know plenty of people that are really happy and don't have kids either. Kids aren't for everyone:p It's whatever makes you both happy. I grew up knowing I wanted kids. And as I got older that never changed. I really don't think I could have married Andy if he didn't want kids. Thank god for make up sex:eek: :D ;)

Mrs. Bordsmnj
07-27-2004, 03:11 PM
Everyone acts like that is a good thing. Thing is, a bullet wound would change my life too. So would a lottery win, so would... etc.
I wouldn't want to change my life. I have the world by the balls right now. I am focused on a couple of things intently, and don't even want a second dog as it would complicate things right now.
Don't put a frowny face for being selfish, I totally agree with you and think there not a dam think wrong with that.
:cool:
Linda <-------- I, too, am selfish :D

mbrown2
No kids here...
Just no urge for them...(both of us feel the same)...
We still like kids, well, the wife likes them more then I do, and we do kid trips to the river with the neices and nephews and they have a blast....I just want to the uncle with the river house, maybe then they will wipe my a$$ when I am old so they can get it and the boats when I am pushing daisy...or maybe just off me when I am going downhill, better yet..
Seriously, about 4-5 years ago, we still felt the same way, but my neices (7-9 at the time) were going to have to live in a foster home (drug issues)...well we said screw that; ain't gonna happen on my watch....We took them for 2 years...wife changed jobs and we changed our lives around so they could have the best home possible...did the whole soccer mom thing, made friends with other families (met a ton of other good and bad families)..did the Havasu thing with the other fams...and got a lot of enjoyment out of seeing them grow and become young ladies....
Their mom got her shit together and my bro got his shit together and the mom got them back...we did not fight it, we felt kids should be with their parents...we just made sure she really did have her shit together...
It was really sad to see them go, but afterwards, we were not sitting with some urge to have kids...in fact the contrary...we bought a river house, boat, and started living each day like it was last and started enjoying each other....if we change our minds we can later and if we are too old, we can adopt (possibly), but right now we just enjoy our life the way it is.
I respect others that have families and I respect those that come to the decision that kids are not for them.

franky
Man that is just a plain old personal choice. If you are so selfish about maintaining your own existence than please don't haver kids. You will be the one with the kids loooking over the back of the restaurant seat cause you have no interest in spending the time it takes to nurture a well behaved, grounded, stable kid. Thank GOD for my wife who pretty much raised my kids while I buried myself in my work building a business, travel, etc.
They (we have two, now 16 and 20) both went to private school and were both heavily involved in the church (once agin thanks to my wife). I have two great kids, one of which I completely missed growing up with except for the boating trips which was the only time I really relaxed. She learned good study habits, had her head in the books and is now on a full ride academic scholarship. She went from my little baby girl to a grown kid and I missed it.
I promised not to do that with my son so sold my business, guit my job and moved to Havasu where I spend excellent quality time with my son. He is a hoot and a great friend. It is so rewarding to have someone totaly dependent on you and how you choose to help them be e better person.
A guy told me a long time ago that you (I) would never have anything until you (I) got married. I think you will never have anything until you have a family.
To each his own.

Tom Brown
07-27-2004, 03:12 PM
Will you be our first born's Canadian godfather?
I'd be honored. :cool:
You know... I am the godfather to two children. In both cases, when I was asked, my first thought was, "are they serious?" What is wrong with people that they want their children to turn to me for advice in times of trouble? :D

little rowe boat
07-27-2004, 03:14 PM
The wife and I made that conscious decision to not have kids,so this last march she dropped the bomb on me and told me she was pregnant,this November I am going to be a father at 41 yrs of age.Oh well,so much for the conscious decision.:eek:

Mrs. Bordsmnj
07-27-2004, 03:15 PM
You know... I am the godfather to two children. In both cases, when I was asked, my first thought was, "are they serious?" What is wrong with people that they want their children to turn to me for advice in times of trouble? :D
Maybe for entertainment purposes? :D
"Bran! Bran muffins will solve all your problems kid"
J/k Tom, I know you are great guy and I am sure the parents of your godchildren were only partially drunk when they asked. :D

HCS
07-27-2004, 03:17 PM
Don't feel selfish. My Dog died after 13 Years.
13 years of walking, playing, petting, feeding.
I will not have another dog. It takes up too much time in my life.
As far as the kids goes. Iv'e had my last one. I'm getting to old.
My daughter is 22 years old and lives on her own. She's doing
great!. God Bless her.
My son will turn 5 years old in 2 weeks. He's one of the best
things that has happen to me. He's my little buddy.
He wants to do everything dad does. I will keep him under my
arm and show him the world.:)
And that's post 5000.:D

Tom Brown
07-27-2004, 03:19 PM
... I am sure the parents of your godchildren were only partially drunk when they asked. :D
:D :D :D

totenhosen
07-27-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by franky
Man that is just a plain old personal choice. If you are so selfish about maintaining your own existence than please don't haver kids.
Why is it that people who choose not to have kids are branded as selfish. One could easily say that people that have kids are selfish and so consumed with themselves that they want to see little versions of themselves running around.

Tom Brown
07-27-2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by totenhosen
Why is it that people who choose not to have kids are branded as selfish. One could easily say that people that have kids are selfish and so consumed with themselves that they want to see little versions of themselves running around.
Totenhosen, take two common sense points out of petty cash. :cool:

fat rat
07-27-2004, 03:24 PM
For any reason. I'm just kind of wondering; kind of wanted to get a general consensus. We all have our own reasons, I am just wondering who has made this decision.
We made the decision many years ago, 20+. the wife and I were both military (career). We shared alot of duty stations together, but occasionally we didn't. That was enough strain on our relationship...........putting kid's in the picture, I just could not imagine............and most of this was before internet. Now adays it's not bad, at least you have daily communication ie. email digital camera's ect.. Just my .02. :cool:

XTRM22
07-27-2004, 03:26 PM
This is really a fascinating topic, just enough serious posts and joke to make it entertaining and still interesting. I have to agree with a lot of Wes's points (not just cause he's a retired Seal and I don't wanna piss him off:D ) but I was also a river kid, and know there are parents of a lot of river kids on here, I sometimes think I'd like to be a part of raising another generation of river kids. WHen my wife and I met we knew we couldn't have kids togather, and we dated for 5 years to make sure that wouldn't be an issue later, we've been married 5 years and have 2 really spoiled dogs but don't really feel like we missed out on anything. If I had ever had children I think I might have been to hard on a son, and not nearly stern enough for a daughter. WHile I didn't envy JRocket when his daughter barfed in the back of his new truck repeatedly on the way to the river, the way he talked about her and how she enjoyed riding in the boat truly touched my heart. I think there are huge pluses and minuses to both sides of this coin, I admire those of you who have their kids and raise them right, but I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything either.
Chuck

Racer277
07-27-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by totenhosen
I agree totally. I can think of nothing more selfish than inflicting a small version of myself on this world!
Anyone who decides to wait or not have kids, then changes their mind later, there are millions of kids that need good parents already.

twistedpair
07-27-2004, 03:28 PM
Me. I figure I can raid my own liquor cabinet, and wreck my own cars. And I probably won't be knocking up any cheerleaders any time soon either. (Of course that last part could be good or bad, depending on your POV)
;)

mbrown2
07-27-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by XTRM22
have 2 really spoiled dogs but don't really feel like we missed out on anything.
BTW...we have a really old and spoiled Zhit Zhu...:)

jbtrailerjim
07-27-2004, 03:47 PM
I wasn't real crazy about kids until I had my own. I now have two boy's (15 months & 3 1/2 yrs). Watching my wife give birth to our children has been the highlight of my life so far. Coming home from work everyday to there smiling faces and to here them yell daddy when I walk in the door makes even my worst days, seem better. People that don't have kids will never understand how it feels. No words can describe the feeling of being a parent. I know kids are not for everyone and not everyone is not cut out to be a parent. I'm glad I decided to have kids and I have never once regreted it.
Oh, and if you want to wait till you think you can afford them; you never will have them. I wondered how and the hell my wife and a would afford them but we just managed and figured it out.

gnarley
07-27-2004, 03:48 PM
Anyone who decides to wait or not have kids, then changes their mind later, there are millions of kids that need good parents already.
The problem is that a lot of them are already screwed up from the deadbeats who had them or didn't give themselves good prenatal care.
I might be selfish also, if I were to raise a child I want my own not one that was born with a preventable syndrome or psychologically screwed up or from a third world country that cost me $50,000 to adopt and continued life long medical bills for someone else’s genetic problems. I don't have that much love, time or money to give. If it were mine that would be another story if we chose to keep it. In our case we had a downs pregnancy and choose to end it early, we wouldn’t want someone else’s. If someone has that much to give they are certainly better than I am, God bless them.

NashvilleBound
07-27-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by jbtrailerjim
I wasn't real crazy about kids until I had my own. I now have two boy's (15 months & 3 1/2 yrs). Watching my wife give birth to our children has been the highlight of my life so far. Coming home from work everyday to there smiling faces and to here them yell daddy when I walk in the door makes even my worst days, seem better. People that don't have kids will never understand how it feels. No words can describe the feeling of being a parent. I know kids are not for everyone and not everyone is not cut out to be a parent. I'm glad I decided to have kids and I have never once regreted it.
Oh, and if you want to wait till you think you can afford them; you never will have them. I wondered how and the hell my wife and a would afford them but we just managed and figured it out.
That has to be the closest to words it's been put. I try like hell still to have more kids but my vacectomy is still going strong.

AZKC
07-27-2004, 04:05 PM
Well if you chose to have kids spend alot of time with them they grow up damn fast :eek:

Krazy K
07-27-2004, 04:58 PM
I like my freedom too much to have kids. I want to be able to up and go somewhere without having to figure out babysitting or getting the kids things together. If I do change and want kids later, I'll adopt. There are MANY kids out there that are longing for a family.
Also, you need a significant other to have kids in the first place and I ain't got one....

Blown 472
07-27-2004, 05:03 PM
78 and froggy I see your point of view as a so cal thing, but not totally. I was the same way when I lived there didn't want to bring a kid up in that shit. The biggest reason I moved to the midwest, granted it has it's ups and downs but not as bad as there. My kid goes to a small school, all the teachers care it is a great school and most of the parents are involved in some where or another, heck I spent the day there had lunch, swings etc.
I do believe in respect and I pound it into my kid everyday, some of my non kid friends say I am too hard on him but he is zero drama, no problems in school, doesn't run around like an ass clown. When kids pull that shit and he askes why they do it I tell him their parents dont love them enough to disipline them.
And as far as doing everything right, good luck, last time I checked no one wrote a book bout bringing up a kid, they are their own person, the biggest thing that I use to teach my kid is my past experiences, knowing how a situation turned out by the choice I made. I give him the chance to chose an outcome and tell him what happend to me when I made the choice I did.
And Ziggy is right anit nothing cooler then coming home to the little man and getting a big hug and wrestling on the floor.
One more thing, froggy field trips are the best, we dont have tv in my house nor do we have nitendo or any of that mind numbing crap, I kick my kid outside to play with the neighbors or just sit and read. Lots of peeps use the tv as a baby sitter.
I respect your choices but to tell you the truth you dont know what you are missing.

HCS
07-27-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Blown 472
78 and froggy I see your point of view as a so cal thing, but not totally. I was the same way when I lived there didn't want to bring a kid up in that shit. The biggest reason I moved to the midwest, granted it has it's ups and downs but not as bad as there. My kid goes to a small school, all the teachers care it is a great school and most of the parents are involved in some where or another, heck I spent the day there had lunch, swings etc.
I do believe in respect and I pound it into my kid everyday, some of my non kid friends say I am too hard on him but he is zero drama, no problems in school, doesn't run around like an ass clown. When kids pull that shit and he askes why they do it I tell him their parents dont love them enough to disipline them.
And as far as doing everything right, good luck, last time I checked no one wrote a book bout bringing up a kid, they are their own person, the biggest thing that I use to teach my kid is my past experiences, knowing how a situation turned out by the choice I made. I give him the chance to chose an outcome and tell him what happend to me when I made the choice I did.
And Ziggy is right anit nothing cooler then coming home to the little man and getting a big hug and wrestling on the floor.
One more thing, froggy field trips are the best, we dont have tv in my house nor do we have nitendo or any of that mind numbing crap, I kick my kid outside to play with the neighbors or just sit and read. Lots of peeps use the tv as a baby sitter.
I respect your choices but to tell you the truth you dont know what you are missing.
I could pick that apart a little. But it's not worth it, you made alot
of good points.
My boy does not sit around and play on the computer, he uses his imagination.
And he plays with dad. It is very rewarding.
Until you have a child you have no idea.
But I must say the first 5 years of a childs life takes the most time
away from you, as far as having a little personal freedom.
Their enjoyable but very time consuming.
Feeding babies and changing diapers is not my ball of wax.
I must say.:rolleyes:

ratso
07-27-2004, 08:02 PM
My son is 21...by my first wife, and I wouldn't have traded him for the world. At the age of 44 now and liking younger women, I quite often run into the problem of them wanting more kids, and almost every single one of them already have one. I don't want to be in my mid sixties going to graduation and putting one through college. It's time for me to start living instead of living for everyone else. Child support sucks too. Wanna have a kid? I'll bet if you are in your 20's you will be paying child support in your 30's. At least I was smart enough to get custody of my son after the system screwed me the first time. I also have a problem with the 1-2-3 BS, everytime I hear that crap I'd like to grab them by the throat and say "IT'S NOT WORKING YOU STUPID ASS MOTHER ****ER!!!" My current girl and I will be having our talk probably this week. She has a six year old that is a total freaking terror and no discipline. She still wants a girl (she is 30) and I am going to have to tell her absolutely no way am I having another...and that will be the end of us. It sucks because we get along fantastic, don't fight, and have a blast together, but I will not give in. There is already almost no time alone the way it is, which I accept, but another and I'm screwed for life. As it stands I have been married 5 times to women in their 20's...or younger. My first wife never wanted another child so we have Justin, and that is it. My second wife had another child and she has divorced numerous times. My third wife had two kids after we divorced...feel real damn sorry for those two guys paying out the ass. My fourth wife never had another but calls me weekly with a story to tell. This little bastard is always in trouble for drinking or drugs and is about as worthless as they come. He wasn't like that when I was married to his mom, but now he runs all over her, and bless her heart she has done everything for him while she has struggled the past few years...the best clothes, high dollar hair dos, a car that he ragged completely out in two months...you name it. Wife number five...I practically raised that boy with her. He will be 7 soon and I love him with all my heart. She wanted another one too, and I was supposed to oblige even though we fought all the time...you know, what's a little child support and another kid from another broken marriage? Some of you people need to wake the **** up...especially the men...because the court system will **** you over in a heartbeat. This thread should be titled..."How many of you have kids from a broken marriage?"...or..."How many guys on here got raped because I Love You turned into...Well, I love you, I'm just not IN love with you anymore."...
I guess I'm done now.:D

ratso
07-27-2004, 08:09 PM
Almost forgot...ex #5 asked me about a month ago, if she isn't married with a child on the way by the time she is 35, would I "donate?" I told her I was flattered but No Thanks.
Now she isn't talking to me again...

Blown 472
07-27-2004, 08:21 PM
Better you then hanson or holigan I guess.:p

DogHouse
07-27-2004, 08:50 PM
Very interesting to read the expert opinions from folks who don't have children and have never actively participated in raising a child. Guess what, kids aren't perfect and neither are parents. Chances are you're not either. Next time you see a family having a less than stellar moment in public, try not to be so judgemental and understand that sh!t happens and kids act up, even when the parents are trying to do the right thing. I have a whole lot more understanding for a kid having an immature moment (it's what they do, a natural part of learning and growing up) than some self-indulgent so-called adult getting all annoyed because the kids have somehow invaded his perfect little world. Don't get me wrong, I don't let my kids run amuck in public or anywhere else. They get plenty of attention, direction, coaching, etc, and discipline/spanking when necessary. I just don't need a bunch of attitude from self-proclaimed experts that have no f'ing clue what they're talking about!
:D

Goldilocks
07-27-2004, 08:53 PM
Here's something a little different.....I have never wanted kids, but my boyfriend does. I am terrified of being a mom, terrified of what labor would be like, and lastly, terrified of what my boobs would look like after I breastfed :D Everyone tells me I will change my mind, but I don't know if I will.

Racer277
07-27-2004, 09:02 PM
Well the thread is "Who has made the conscious decision, to never have kids?" I believe there is another thread for people who have made the conscious decision to have kids. LOL
Seriously, I just get annoyed sometimes when people inflict their kids on me. Whether in public, or even at their "private school" which is HEAVILY funded by federal taxes.
I will not keep it to myself if I think it will do any good. I have scolded many a child in the restaraunt/movies/airport and will continue to. You have every right to bring your children in public, no matter how they act. I also have every right to make my public experience enjoyable. If we agree, great, if not, great.

ratso
07-27-2004, 09:04 PM
Sure, kids act up. What I can't stand is one back talking or calling their mom a bitch or their dad a bastard because there wasn't enough discipline. I know a couple going on 4 years now with the 1-2-3 crap, and this kid gets worse everyday. They are always going to spank him...going to ground him...going to take his toys away. Don't even get me started. I've been around quite long enough to figure out which ones will be the pricks when they grow up.

Racer277
07-27-2004, 09:09 PM
A big thumbs up to all of you good parents. I can tell there are quite a few on these forums and you have my respect.
My wife and I have said many times that if we had kids, boating would be one of the many family events we would participate in. I've said that there can be nothing more difficult in the world than raising a child, you are angels if you do it well.
But don't forget-You asked for it, not me!

ratso
07-27-2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by ShockwaveBob
You do not have the right to scold my children. I don't know why you think you do, but if you did that to my kids, the resulting experience would likely leave a bad taste in your mouth. If you try to exert your will on people, don't be surprised when it backfires on you.
I'll bet your babysitters and schoolteachers are in for at least 18 years (per child) of pure Hell...:D

Racer277
07-27-2004, 09:13 PM
Hitting a 1 iron is harder than raising children. ;)
Don't you mean having children?

DogHouse
07-27-2004, 09:16 PM
I will not keep it to myself if I think it will do any good. I have scolded many a child in the restaraunt/movies/airport and will continue to. You have every right to bring your children in public, no matter how they act. I also have every right to make my public experience enjoyable. If we agree, great, if not, great.
That's actually an interesting point as well. Sometimes a well timed (and more importantly appropriate, as in NOT threatening to choke the father as earlier suggested!) word or two from someone who is not the parent can really make a misbehaving child step back and think about what they're doing. We all know that our parents didn't know anything until we turned 22 or so!

ratso
07-27-2004, 09:17 PM
...so you are saying schoolteachers cannot scold your kids???:D

Racer277
07-27-2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by DogHouse
That's actually an interesting point as well. Sometimes a well timed (and more importantly appropriate, as in NOT threatening to choke the father as earlier suggested!) word or two from someone who is not the parent can really make a misbehaving child step back and think about what they're doing. We all know that our parents didn't know anything until we turned 22 or so!
I have been thanked by parents for that exact reason before. I do not ever remember threatening to choke someone. Not a parent, certainly not a child. Quiet stern words from strangers will do wonders for an unruly child. Never a threat, never a touch. I apologize if I sounded like a monster, that isn't the case, and I didn't assume that your children were a problem.
I think by now this thread has been jacked, is everyone here someone "Who has made the conscious decision, to never have kids?"

DogHouse
07-27-2004, 09:27 PM
I do not ever remember threatening to choke someone.
That wasn't you!
It was said by someone else in jest, sort of, I think...

ratso
07-27-2004, 09:34 PM
...so I have been seeing someone for quite a while now. We go to movies, out to eat, out on the boat. I always bring her boy a surprise once or twice a week. We are out on the boat and he is sitting in the passenger seat beside me while she pulls the boat trailer up. He tells me he is going to jump in the water (at the boat ramp) and swim up there and wait on his mom. I tell him to wait a minute and we will pull up to the dock and pick his mom up as soon as some of the boats move. He yells at me...my own son never did that...and screams that he is swimming to his mom. I tell him again to wait so someone doesn't run over him with a boat. Had this been my son he would have been knocked into next week. He starts to climb over the side of the boat and I grab him by his life jacket about the time his feet hit the water and he starts screaming bloody murder and telling me that I'm not his daddy and I don't make the rules. I bring him right up to my face and very softly and sternly tell him that I DO MAKE THE RULES AS LONG AS HE IS ON MY BOAT OR ANYWHERE ELSE AROUND ME. DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME BOY??? We pick his mom up and he tells her that I wouldn't let him swim to the ramp to meet her...and she asks me why not...so I have to explain to her now like I just did to her 6 year old. Of course she "asks him" if he would like to be grounded and I know she counted to THREE AT LEAST 20 DAMN TIMES THAT DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't guess he wanted to be grounded because he was playing his X-Box when I talked to her just after midnight on the phone.

ratso
07-27-2004, 09:36 PM
I think by now this thread has been jacked, is everyone here someone "Who has made the conscious decision, to never have kids?" [/B][/QUOTE]
...but it is a lot more fun since it got "jacked":D

Tyson Ross
07-27-2004, 09:46 PM
Wife and I had our 1st 8 months ago. I will never forget the ride to hospital or the actual delivery of my son. :D It's not easy and to avoid babysitter I work graves so I can watch him during day while mom is at work.
He already goes out in the boat and everywhere else w/ us. We just don't get to hang w/ everyone late night on weekends at the bars. Don't miss the hangovers though!!! I have friends whom are married and do not want children. I completely respect their decision and would never be one to try to convince them to have children. I just hope years down the road when their friends move away or pass away they don't then regret their decision. I know my parents are rejuvenated now that they have a grandson and they now come out to the river a lot more to see him.
I just plan on doing my best as a parent while keeping my marriage strong and remain happy.....:cool:

KrazyKa
07-27-2004, 09:54 PM
Truth be told, it has never happened nor will it ever happen, I don't present myself as somebody that you would want to do that around, if you smell what I'm cooking.
...fap...fap...fap...e-toughguy running his mouth trying to persuade us his kids aren't brats. Not so convincing by the admission of his own lack of restraint.

Racer277
07-27-2004, 09:56 PM
Simply scolding him because you're upset about his mother's lack of parenting skills won't do anything but alienate him. You're trying to reason with a six year old when he's upset. Six year olds are not reasonable when they're upset. Everything, to them, is black and white. You're not his daddy, he's simply stating a fact. You want him to act like an adult around you? Try talking to him like one. Wait until he's calmed down and sit down with him and explain why you didn't want him to swim. Ask him if he understands that he could have been hurt. Ask him if he'll listen to you from now on when you ask him to do something because you're always looking out for his safety. You might be surprised how well he responds to this type of treatment. I can tell my kids "because I'm the daddy and I said so, that's why", you can't.
I think the immediate concern here was safety, not being upset. At lease that's what I got out of it. I don't think you can wait until he's calmed down if he is putting himself in danger. Other than that, you SWB are the parent here, not me, so I will digress to your experience.
I had a similiar experience in a grocery store, quietly told a kid he should be helping his mom (around the corner) push the cart rather than dancing in it. Well he and mom yelled at me to foff. On the next aisle, he fell out on his head. I wasn't happy and didn't feel justified, it made me sick to my stomach. Not necessarily the kids fault, more like the mom's, but he paid for it.
That sucked.
I can also say that I am WAY more paranoid and jumpy with kids around as I haven't the experience with them. You parents are amazing at times when you can laugh things off because you know when they are really in danger. I see the worst case scenario I guess.

ratso
07-27-2004, 09:56 PM
Bob...we've done that. There are two totally differing ideas of discipline here. She has her way, I have mine. Hers actually involve no discipline at all...only threats. I get along great with most kids, I have a ton of nephews and one niece...and they don't act this way. I don't expect him to act like an adult...he can act like a kid, but he will mind and not act out like that around me again...no and I mean absolutely no excuse for that kind of behavior. The time for me to deal with it was that moment...not later after he gets run over by a boat.

Scream
07-27-2004, 09:58 PM
I can't imagine myself being much of a success without being a father. My family is my life, my business is a means to an end, I get out of it what I put into it. The more work I do the more I'm able to do with my family.
I have 3 kids that I can't image being without. They make me proud on a daily basis, even when they screw up (they learn from thier mistakes). When I die my worth will be measured by the legacy I leave behind, and it won't have $$$ next to it, that's for sure. I like being a parent so much that other kids call me dad when they can.
For those that don't want children, That's cool because that's your decision, but I think that if you ever had your own, you'd change your tune in a heartbeat. Kids change you in a big way.
Now, as for having kids later in life, I think those folks are nuts. I love my kids and can't stand to be away from them for any length of time, but when I'm of retirement age (50's ...) I'm only gonna want to baby sit my grand kids and not worry about taking my 8 year old kid to a soccer game.
Scream

ratso
07-27-2004, 10:01 PM
Sounds like you need to have a talk with your girlfriend and not a six year old. Unless you are there to parent him all the time, a few hours here and there is not enough positive reinforcement. Simply scolding him because you're upset about his mother's lack of parenting skills won't do anything but alienate him. You're trying to reason with a six year old when he's upset. Six year olds are not reasonable when they're upset. Everything, to them, is black and white. You're not his daddy, he's simply stating a fact. You want him to act like an adult around you? Try talking to him like one. Wait until he's calmed down and sit down with him and explain why you didn't want him to swim. Ask him if he understands that he could have been hurt. Ask him if he'll listen to you from now on when you ask him to do something because you're always looking out for his safety. You might be surprised how well he responds to this type of treatment. I can tell my kids "because I'm the daddy and I said so, that's why", you can't.
I just re-read this...good God Bob...1-2-3...........................
Look, I know we are in the hospital now and I saw you sticking your hand into that fire...but I figured we would talk about it later since I've been reading this really good book on the pansy ass way to raise kids...:D

ratso
07-27-2004, 10:07 PM
Can you smell what I'm Cookin'? Popcorn.
Now this has turned into an "I'm bigger than you thread"
Gotta love ***boat...
BTW...my son is 21...call me when yours are 21.
I must say I did an outstanding job.:D
Ratso patting himself on the back.

Racer277
07-27-2004, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by ratso
I just re-read this...good God Bob...1-2-3...........................
Look, I know we are in the hospital now and I saw you sticking your hand into that fire...but I figured we would talk about it later since I've been reading this really good book on the pansy ass way to raise kids...:D
I read the same thing out of it as you Ratso.
As for the shopping cart, it wasn't great, but again, you parents are amazing sometimes.
I also had the "I'm a big bad ass and my kids will do whatever they want in public and no one is aloud to say anything" impression.
I hope it just comes out wrong on screen. I do appreciate the love and protection you are showing your children.

gnarley
07-27-2004, 10:11 PM
Been out to the movies and wanted to see how this thread was doin. So far it looks way off topic and hijacked.
You do not have the right to scold my children. I don't know why you think you do, but if you did that to my kids, the resulting experience would likely leave a bad taste in your mouth. If you try to exert your will on people, don't be surprised when it backfires on you.
I don't think he has the right to scold your children if you are paying attention to them. If you are paying attention there isn't a problem is there? If your not and I'm around I would probably speak up as well to you or your child if the annoyance was great enough. But since you portray yourself as a great parent that would never happen in public, right?
So let’s get back to the topic.
Who has made the conscious decision, to never have kids?

MagicMtnDan
07-27-2004, 10:13 PM
I can have kids anytime I want - I can borrow them from anyone who has 'em :D (my sister has three I can borrow).
I've never had kids and I don't think I have any offspring - at least none that I know of :D
I've got a 21 year old step daughter and 22 year old step son and I'm looking forward to them moving out (they've only been here a year).

ratso
07-27-2004, 10:15 PM
Bob...I must say I do admire you as far as what I've read in these threads. I am a lay down the law type and will not tolerate an unruly child. There is a thing called respect and too few parents teach their kids what that is. I practically raised my stepson and two of my nephews (one of them works for me) and they are all awesome kids or in some cases now adults. One of them (19 years) backtalks my parents and his mom and dad...but not me. We get along great, but they let him get away with everything growing up, and I don't feel sorry for them one bit. Seems to be your demeanor, but hey, if it's working then that's great.:D

Petrofied
07-27-2004, 10:17 PM
Love Kids..............As long as their your's and you take them when you leave. :)

ratso
07-27-2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Petrofied
Love Kids..............As long as their your's and you take them when you leave. :)
At my age those are my thoughts exactly...and I really sincerely mean that. I love spending time with kids, there are a lot of them in my family, but at the end of the day I'm ready to get on with MY life.:D

Racer277
07-27-2004, 10:23 PM
Exactly as I suspected SWB.
Also, I have never screamed at a kid or his parents. How would that improve my enjoyment? Please note the previous posts on quiet stern words.
If I had been there when your kids acted up, you never would have known. A child acting up and quickly being corrected has never bothered me, on the contrary, the parent earns some of my respect. It's is the inattentive parents that seem to be the problem. My unprofessional opinion is that these kids want attention and anyone giving them seems to fix their problem quickly.
No Offense Intended.

ratso
07-27-2004, 10:25 PM
It's past 1am here and I have to get to bed.
Bob, MMD, Tyson, Racer, Krazy, Scream... have a good one.
Nite.......................:D
Been nice talking to ya'll

RiverToysJas
07-27-2004, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Scream
I can't imagine myself being much of a success without being a father. My family is my life, my business is a means to an end, I get out of it what I put into it. The more work I do the more I'm able to do with my family.
I have 3 kids that I can't image being without. They make me proud on a daily basis, even when they screw up (they learn from thier mistakes). When I die my worth will be measured by the legacy I leave behind, and it won't have $$$ next to it, that's for sure. I like being a parent so much that other kids call me dad when they can.
For those that don't want children, That's cool because that's your decision, but I think that if you ever had your own, you'd change your tune in a heartbeat. Kids change you in a big way.
Now, as for having kids later in life, I think those folks are nuts. I love my kids and can't stand to be away from them for any length of time, but when I'm of retirement age (50's ...) I'm only gonna want to baby sit my grand kids and not worry about taking my 8 year old kid to a soccer game.
Scream
I agree with this 110% !!!!
We waited a long time have kids. Married about 9 years, had the first kid on my wife's 30th Birthday. The next two and a half years later, and now we're done. It's THE best thing that we've ever done. It's hard work, very hard. We've made sacrifices in all areas of our lives. It's all worth it to look into the eyes of my child though. To play with him and her (I have a boy and girl), and watch them experience life. Once we had the first, we wondered why we didn't do it sooner.
To have kids or not have them, IMO can't be a reational, over-thought plan, go with your gut, and have faith you can handle it.
One more thing.......I also think everyone should raise and train a Rottweiler before having kids, it sure helped us to prepare!!! ;) :D
RTJas :D

78Eliminator
07-28-2004, 07:03 AM
Hey I think I saw you and your family in the movie theater a couple times.... :(

78Eliminator
07-28-2004, 07:07 AM
...so I have been seeing someone for quite a while now. We go to movies, out to eat, out on the boat. I always bring her boy a surprise once or twice a week. We are out on the boat and he is sitting in the passenger seat beside me while she pulls the boat trailer up. He tells me he is going to jump in the water (at the boat ramp) and swim up there and wait on his mom. I tell him to wait a minute and we will pull up to the dock and pick his mom up as soon as some of the boats move. He yells at me...my own son never did that...and screams that he is swimming to his mom. I tell him again to wait so someone doesn't run over him with a boat. Had this been my son he would have been knocked into next week. He starts to climb over the side of the boat and I grab him by his life jacket about the time his feet hit the water and he starts screaming bloody murder and telling me that I'm not his daddy and I don't make the rules. I bring him right up to my face and very softly and sternly tell him that I DO MAKE THE RULES AS LONG AS HE IS ON MY BOAT OR ANYWHERE ELSE AROUND ME. DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME BOY??? We pick his mom up and he tells her that I wouldn't let him swim to the ramp to meet her...and she asks me why not...so I have to explain to her now like I just did to her 6 year old. Of course she "asks him" if he would like to be grounded and I know she counted to THREE AT LEAST 20 DAMN TIMES THAT DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't guess he wanted to be grounded because he was playing his X-Box when I talked to her just after midnight on the phone.
My advice you ask? :D Don't date women with kids from broken marriages. I would rather be alone forever than date with someone elses problem....

KrazyKa
07-28-2004, 09:44 AM
Not exactly sure what you're referring to by my "lack of restraint", I certainly have never made a post to give anyone the impression that I routinely go around beating people up. My point was that I'm a big guy, most people wouldn't say anything to me in person. You might actually want to ask somebody before you go running off at the mouth, I'm sure you wouldn't.
I'll respond to this and it can address the PM you sent also. Either you decided the post I responded to seemed out of character for you after writing it OR I got the wrong impression from it. Either way, after reading the rest of your posts in this thread it appears I responded inappropriately. My apologies.
It doesn't matter that you are a "big guy" or anything else. If you're a person of principle you either say something or not based on that principle. The opposition, no matter the size, you may face taking a stand should not bend or dictate your principles. That's what my dad taught me and if I ever decide I want to drag crying brats all over town - that's what I'll teach them. :D

Havasu Hangin'
07-28-2004, 09:59 AM
...I walk around imposing my will on people because I'm bigger than they are.
Yeah, Bob...quit picking on us little people.
Short people are people, too.

78Eliminator
07-28-2004, 10:22 AM
Yeah, Bob...quit picking on us little people.
Short people are people, too.
Actually, that's why guns are so damn cool. All that time in the gym, all that muscle, and a .45 will go right through it :D

Havasu Hangin'
07-28-2004, 10:32 AM
Actually, that's why guns are so damn cool. All that time in the gym, all that muscle, and a .45 will go right through it :D
See, Bob...you big bullies bring out the psychos.

mirvin
07-28-2004, 10:42 AM
Ok, I'm not sure how I found this, but if you're really never going to have children the you gotta check out this wacko!! FUnny, interesting, and horrifying all at the same time......
http://www.vhemt.org/
mirvin ;)

78Eliminator
07-28-2004, 10:59 AM
Uhhhh. Actually I agree with what he has to say.

Jrocket
07-28-2004, 11:12 AM
I love my 2 year old daughter and wouldnt trade the warmth and happiness that she gives me for anything in the world.At first I was scared to be a parent,now Im happier than I have ever been since she came into my life.

mirvin
07-28-2004, 12:15 PM
I'ts hard not to;) I'm hoping for nuclear anihillation.........
mirvin:D

Havasu Hangin'
07-28-2004, 12:16 PM
Uhhhhh....it's not him I'm worried about.

78Eliminator
07-28-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by mirvin
I'ts hard not to;) I'm hoping for nuclear anihillation.........
mirvin:D
I was more hoping for some kind of nuclear poisoning that results in sterilization.

Essex502
07-28-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Jrocket
I love my 2 year old daughter and wouldnt trade the warmth and happiness that she gives me for anything in the world.At first I was scared to be a parent,now Im happier than I have ever been since she came into my life.
Come back in 12 years and tell us your horror stories...it's the teen years that all hell breaks loose!

Jrocket
07-28-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Essex502
Come back in 12 years and tell us your horror stories...it's the teen years that all hell breaks loose!
You could be right or wrong...Ill call ya in 12 years.:D

rvrtoy
07-28-2004, 01:20 PM
I am SOOO glad to hear that there will never EVER be another one of you running around this world!!!!:D

Froggystyle
07-28-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by rvrtoy
I am SOOO glad to hear that there will never EVER be another one of you running around this world!!!!:D
Gong.... not funny...

rvrtoy
07-28-2004, 01:39 PM
:D :D Tell the little woman I said HEY!!:D :D

racecar.hotshoe
07-28-2004, 01:48 PM
I have 4 one is 21 one is 16 one is 7 and one 5.They can be the biggest joy or the biggest pain.(like a boat) but the bottom line is I wouldnt have it any other way.

Froggystyle
07-28-2004, 01:49 PM
Well, it has been a couple of pages since I responded, but here are my thoughts on our new thread-jacking parents.
Kids don't belong in nice restaurants. Period. Get a sitter. I am not talking about sitting in Chuck E. Cheese and having some little punk popping his head over the bench, I am talking about Outback, or PF Changs or somewhere. I am trying to enjoy a nice meal, your kids are ruining it. Sorry if you are offended by my selfishness.
Kids belong in McDonalds. I don't dine in at McDonalds because kids are there and I can't stand kids running around in a restaurant.
If you have a brat for a kid, and it is running around the restaurant, expect a visit from the manager, and expect to overhear me bitching to him about your kids. That is how I deal with it, as obviously trying to talk sense into a parent willing to let their kids act out in public is stupid. This is the managers problem now.
I don't care how much you like to, or deserve to eat out. If you have kids, that is one of many things you should put on hold. Movies are another thing. I expect a million kids in Shrek II. I don't complain about the kids or the noise created by them. I don't expect them at Anchorman.
The kids aren't getting anything out of it if they are too young to control tantrums, so don't bring them.
OK, that being said. I have two kids I love to death. My partner's kids Ashlyn and Emma. Both are ruled with an iron fist, and less tolerance. Craig raises kids like I would. They are imaginative, enthusiastic and respectful to a degree I didn't think was possible. Emma (3 years old) is the best behaved kid I have ever met, at any age. I can't wait to see her grow up.
I don't ever blame the kids. I blame the parents 100%. I look at a bratty kid, and I look for his idiot parent. The child is a symptom of a far greater problem. It is like I said, I don't like the direction society has turned, and I don't want to try to bring someone up to be as disappointed as I am in it. Daily I struggle with the buffoonery that is America. The only small areas of responsiblity and character I have found is the SEAL teams and the boating community.
Y'all have fun, this thread went the wrong way for me... :D

Jrocket
07-28-2004, 02:05 PM
Kids don't belong in nice restaurants. Period. Get a sitter. I am not talking about sitting in Chuck E. Cheese and having some little punk popping his head over the bench, I am talking about Outback, or PF Changs or somewhere. I am trying to enjoy a nice meal, your kids are ruining it. Sorry if you are offended by my selfishness.
Im so glad you decide not too have kids.Ill take my daughter anywhere I want,nice restaurant or not.
BTW,you have no idea of how my kid acts in public.So ease up with the blanket through about all kids.

Froggystyle
07-28-2004, 02:16 PM
Im so glad you decide not too have kids.Ill take my daughter anywhere I want,nice restaurant or not.
BTW,you have no idea of how my kid acts in public.So ease up with the blanket through about all kids.
You are missing the point JR... if your kids are not running around the restaurant, they are not a problem.
I should re-phrase. PROBLEM kids should not be in a nice restaurant. That actually goes for a lot of adult activities. Car dealerships, movies, cell phone stores, basically anywhere that isn't designed for kids.
Didn't mean to offend.
Most boaters take a lot of additional responsibilities on in their lives. These are responsibilities that they don't HAVE to do, and sacrifices they don't HAVE to make. Boaters tend to be responsible, and as a result, most boating families are very respectful and conscientious of others and their stuff, as they expect the same in return. I don't know of a whole lot of brat boating kids. These parents, who are used to taking on additional responsibilities are almost always going to take responsibility for their own kids. No problems here.
Has your kid ever stood on a seat and grabbed the girl in the next booth's hair?
Didn't think so. Kid was fine, parents were a waste of oxygen.

Jrocket
07-28-2004, 02:29 PM
You are missing the point JR... if your kids are not running around the restaurant, they are not a problem.
I should re-phrase. PROBLEM kids should not be in a nice restaurant. That actually goes for a lot of adult activities. Car dealerships, movies, cell phone stores, basically anywhere that isn't designed for kids.
Didn't mean to offend.
Most boaters take a lot of additional responsibilities on in their lives. These are responsibilities that they don't HAVE to do, and sacrifices they don't HAVE to make. Boaters tend to be responsible, and as a result, most boating families are very respectful and conscientious of others and their stuff, as they expect the same in return. I don't know of a whole lot of brat boating kids. These parents, who are used to taking on additional responsibilities are almost always going to take responsibility for their own kids. No problems here.
Has your kid ever stood on a seat and grabbed the girl in the next booth's hair?
Didn't think so. Kid was fine, parents were a waste of oxygen.
Thank you for the re-phrase.I do agree that kids that are out of hand due to parents lack of attention(discipline) need not be in calm public places but its the parents that need a good swift kick in the ass.If my daughter starts to cry or get loud in a public place where noise is not needed,I simply take her out of the quiet area and calm her down until she is ready to join everyone else.
If my kid ever grabbed a strangers hair in that situation,she would apologize and then be delt with by me.
I love to take my daughter with me everywhere I can,keeping her in line and teaching her right from wrong is what my job is.Hopefully I do a great job and she turns out to be a respectful individual in life.

Froggystyle
07-28-2004, 02:40 PM
I love to take my daughter with me everywhere I can,keeping her in line and teaching her right from wrong is what my job is.Hopefully I do a great job and she turns out to be a respectful individual in life.
Until I can convince all my freinds not to have kids, that is the best I can hope for!
Sorry for the confusion. As with everything else in life, 99% of the parents ruin it for the rest of them... ;)

XTRM22
07-28-2004, 02:41 PM
I think I understand Froggy's point here, I am certain that JRockets daughter will always behave in public cause I beleive him to be the kind of parent that would require it. When I was a kid, we lived in a small town so eating at nice restaurants was an uncommon event for my parents and they usually took us 3 kids along, misbehaving in public meant a trip outside for attitude adjusting, and we knew it. Today my 2 nephews behave better for me then for their mother in public, she counts to 3 to settle them down, it's common knowledge that Uncle Chuck can't count past 1. ;) I am a little disturbed by kids running around a restaurant, I think it's usually caused by a limited attention span on the parents part.
Chuck

XTRM22
07-28-2004, 02:44 PM
Oh yeah and for the record my two dogs are the least trained most disobedient hounds that walk, so if they're not in my house or yard, they are on a leash! I don't inflict my pets on anyone and think people should have similar consideration.
CHuck:)

Froggystyle
07-28-2004, 02:48 PM
Perhaps this attitude is a result of my upbringing, but there was absolutely zero tolerance on my parents part in public. Growing up, I remember going out to eat with my folks, and regularly have multiple different couples come over to the table to compliment my parents on how well behaved their kids were. I think of how readily I would compliment someone for that. I ask to speak to a manager if a waitress does a good job, I would probably buy the family dessert if I saw some kids being well behaved at dinner!
The problem is, there is nobody to compliment. People act as if their kids are my burden. On one hand, they don't want people telling them how to raise their kids, or scolding them for obvious social infractions. On the other hand, they don't want to do it themselves.
Maybe I hate bad parents, not kids...

Jrocket
07-28-2004, 03:00 PM
My dad never laid a hand on me once.If it got to that point he would give me the straight stare and that was it.No words from him or anything just that "look".Dad was very big guy with no patience at all.I was raised in a very strict househould and no meant NO.one more no meant ass whoopn from mom or worse cold shoulder from dad which even hurt more to me.Im happy with the way they brought me up in the end.

Tom Brown
07-28-2004, 03:03 PM
My dad never laid a hand on me once.
I think that's why you haven't been able to make anything of yourself.

Froggystyle
07-28-2004, 03:06 PM
My dad never laid a hand on me once.If it got to that point he would give me the straight stare and that was it.No words from him or anything just that "look".Dad was very big guy with no patience at all.I was raised in a very strict househould and no meant NO.one more no meant ass whoopn from mom or worse cold shoulder from dad which even hurt more to me.Im happy with the way they brought me up in the end.
I had wooden spoons broken over my ass by a similar principle!
The only time I ever got it from Dad was for not telling the truth, or anything in the same ballpark as disrespect to Mom. Dirty looks included BTW. Actually, thoughts of dirty looks included!
Today's society doesn't jive with this though. I fear prosecution for corporal punishment.

Froggystyle
07-28-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by mirvin
Ok, I'm not sure how I found this, but if you're really never going to have children the you gotta check out this wacko!! FUnny, interesting, and horrifying all at the same time......
http://www.vhemt.org/
mirvin ;)
Just read some of it.
I'm in.

Jrocket
07-28-2004, 03:11 PM
I think that's why you haven't been able to make anything of yourself.
No thats due to the 8 years of Catholic shool that I put in!

Jrocket
07-28-2004, 03:15 PM
Today's society doesn't jive with this though. I fear prosecution for corporal punishment.
True,because some kids cry fowl when they get slapped on the hands nowadays or the parents take it way too far and beat their kids senseless for chewing gum too loud while they have a hang over.
It all comes down to laziness,rudeness and a lack of respect for other peoples well being.
Worlds going to the shitter.:D

Froggystyle
07-28-2004, 03:17 PM
It all comes down to laziness,rudeness and a lack of respect for other peoples well being.
Worlds going to the shitter.:D
Too true. I just don't think I want to add more turds to the whirlpool so to speak!

Tremor Therapy
07-28-2004, 03:33 PM
Wes and others,
While I can respect the reasons behind your decisions, I have my own unique point of view. If the good people of the world choose not to "bring kids into this world" then it will inevitably be the rats that keep breeding.
I will whole heartedly agree with you that it takes good parents to raise decent respectful human beings. And I, as with many, felt the wrath of my disappointed parents when I wasn't doing as I was taught (notice I didn't type angry parents, and do as I was told). My parents instilled in me many of the core values I know try to instill into my kids.
Because of their persistent hard work, I was one of those kids who was complimented on their excellent behavior, and I am trying just as hard to raise my 2 kids the same way.
I will agree with you that the schools, society, and many other of the MTV forces are making it harder to raise decent kids, but I made a conscious choice to bring them into the world, and I will make sure I try my damnedest to raise decent respectful human beings. Because I for one see the population of rats on the rise, and I want to make sure that when I am done raising my kids, they will at least be able to play the flute! ;)

Froggystyle
07-28-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Tremor Therapy
Because I for one see the population of rats on the rise, and I want to make sure that when I am done raising my kids, they will at least be able to play flute! ;)
A literary reference on Hot Boat?
Lookout for the four horsemen!
I applaud your decision. I have no doubt my kids would be respectful at the very least. All I know is that I was raised with a lot of discipline, and I was still a monster at 19. I pissed away opportunities beyond my wildest dreams, and I am sure I broke my parents hearts on more than one occasion. I am making up for it, but who needs it! ;)
Audrey and I just don't want kids, and nothing appears to be changing our minds.
Did I mention we went to see Paul Oakenfold last weekend? And had a party on Friday of the week before that, and saw DJ Monk the next day? All while working 12-14 hours a day on Trident?
I don't have time to turn around right now, let alone have some kids.
I'll be over here being selfish... :D

HCS
07-28-2004, 03:45 PM
Is everyone still having kids over here?:D
It's going to be a big family.

ratso
07-28-2004, 03:49 PM
Is everyone still having kids over here?:D
It's going to be a big family.
We are still choosing not too...didn't you read the title to the thread. At least butt pirate hasn't turned it into a political thread. :D

HCS
07-28-2004, 03:54 PM
We are still choosing not too...didn't you read the title to the thread. At least butt pirate hasn't turned it into a political thread. :D
The more you talk about not having kids the more likely you will.
It's the jinks.:eek:
That's what I expected to see when I open this up. Was BP's
political garb.:D

ratso
07-28-2004, 03:59 PM
The more you talk about not having kids the more likely you will.
It's the jinks.:eek:
That's what I expected to see when I open this up. Was BP's
political garb.:D
I finally decided to get fixed...double the insurance, and I already have an outstanding son...really don't want to take a chance on raising a ****-up.:D

Tremor Therapy
07-28-2004, 04:00 PM
Unfortunatley I know I caused my parents some great disappointment as well, but it is a learning process.....I for one applaud you for making a well thought out decision. I hate it when I hear that it was a mistake, or wasn't in the plans, because we all know there are numerous methods of prevention, and that in the end, it was a conscious decision you made when you didn't protect yourself!

HCS
07-28-2004, 04:07 PM
Story,
I was scheduled for a vasectomy, but when I got to the doctors
office I was referred to, it was a mess.:eek:
A taxidermist probably has cleaner tables. Either that or I made a
wrong turn.:rolleyes:
I left and never went back. Now I'm chicken.:eek:

ratso
07-28-2004, 04:12 PM
Story,
I was scheduled for a vasectomy, but when I got to the doctors
office I was referred to, it was a mess.:eek:
A taxidermist probably has cleaner tables. Either that or I made a
wrong turn.:rolleyes:
I left and never went back. Now I'm chicken.:eek:
:eek!: :eek!: :eek!: :eek!: :eek!:

mirvin
07-28-2004, 04:29 PM
Just read some of it.
I'm in.
It's a little wacky but an interesting read....;) I'm not saying I subscribe but I could go for some of it:D I'm on the fence about having kids. I did get married so it's probly inevitable. I'm not gonna worry about it until the wife says "let's get it on!!". THen I'll have to figure my chit out pretty quick.
mirvin;)

DogHouse
07-28-2004, 05:32 PM
Wes, I have read your posts, and I don't even know where to start to respond, so I won't attempt to answer/debate individual points. Your attitude about kids and families just blows me away. Your decision to not have kids is a good one, but your intolerance of others is disappointing to say the least. You have a lot to learn about life my friend.
-brian

rvrtoy
07-28-2004, 06:47 PM
Wes, I have read your posts, and I don't even know where to start to respond, so I won't attempt to answer/debate individual points. Your attitude about kids and families just blows me away. Your decision to not have kids is a good one, but your intolerance of others is disappointing to say the least. You have a lot to learn about life my friend.
-brian
I think that about sums it up for the vast majority of us.

rvrtoy
07-28-2004, 06:57 PM
Froggy....Do you plan on building family boats, or just party boats for singles and/or married couples with no family?
Just some free advice, not that i would know better that you would, but I would stop insulting the kids and/or parenting skills of your potential clients. Not (IMO) a good way to kick off the sale of a new product from a start-up boat company.
I have one last question for you, What if your parents had the same attitude and views of children that you do?

cal-air
07-28-2004, 07:13 PM
Froggy....Do you plan on building family boats, or just party boats for singles and/or married couples with no family?
Just some free advice, not that i would know better that you would, but I would stop insulting the kids and/or parenting skills of your potential clients. Not (IMO) a good way to kick off the sale of a new product from a start-up boat company.
I have one last question for you, What if your parents had the same attitude and views of children that you do?
I've been following this thread and I admire Froggy for being 'true' enough to post his thoughts and opinions. He can't kiss everyone's ass because they are potential customers.....being that he posts he actual thoughts says alot in my book.

rvrtoy
07-28-2004, 07:21 PM
Very true. You should never try to be some one you are not however, I feel there is a way to voice your opinion without being insulting.
This is just an observation of some comments I feel may have been out of line.
I actually share some of his thoughts re: having diner at a nice place. Keep your kids under control. If you can't then leave. Better yet, don't show up in the first place. I do.

Essex502
07-29-2004, 06:03 AM
I admire the fact that Froggy had the guts to post his real feelings versus some that are in business and would post only what they think their customers/clients or potential customers/clients want to hear. Honesty is refreshing...unlike some other boat builders who have been less than honest in the personal or business dealings.

Essex502
07-29-2004, 06:08 AM
Another thought...
Some have posted that those of use who don't want to ever have children are self ... just what is selfish about that decision?
Definition:
selfish
\Self’ish\, a. 1. Caring supremely or unduly for one's self; regarding one's own comfort, advantage, etc., in disregard, or at the expense, of those of others.
Who in this desire NOT to have kids are we "disregarding" their feelings? Other parents who feel we must have children also to validate their personal choice? Our parents who feel we must give them grandchildren? The unborn child who we are choosing NOT to bring into this world? The homeless starving children around the world that already are here on this planet? Just WHO'S FEELIGNS ARE WE DISREGARDING IN THE INTERESTS of our own?
Thinks on that a bit.

Backtanner
07-29-2004, 06:32 AM
The wife has our first in production with an expected arrival of Jan 1st.
If we weren't going to have one of our own, our plan was to adopt. I saw this 17 y/o blond Russian girl who needed a loving home but I guess that idea is pretty much done.

Havasu Hangin'
07-29-2004, 06:49 AM
Another thought...
Some have posted that those of use who don't want to ever have children are self ... just what is selfish about that decision?
Definition:
selfish
\Self’ish\, a. 1. Caring supremely or unduly for one's self; regarding one's own comfort, advantage, etc., in disregard, or at the expense, of those of others.
Who in this desire NOT to have kids are we "disregarding" their feelings? Other parents who feel we must have children also to validate their personal choice? Our parents who feel we must give them grandchildren? The unborn child who we are choosing NOT to bring into this world? The homeless starving children around the world that already are here on this planet? Just WHO'S FEELIGNS ARE WE DISREGARDING IN THE INTERESTS of our own?
Thinks on that a bit.
Man...I'm glad you guys aren't parents.
Selfish- as in thinking about your own personal time being more important that carving out enough time, money, and energy to raise productive members of society.
Parenting ain't easy (nobody said it was). To do it right, it takes commitment- that commitment is to someone other than yourself. Now...there are rewards, but I don't want to tell you guys about that for the fear that you may actually try to have kids, and bring in more homeless starving children who behave badly in public and irritate others (cuz those kids aren't coming from parents who actually care).
I am now starting a fund. I will put in $20 towards a complimentary sterilizing for certain forum members who have posted in this thread.

ratso
07-29-2004, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by Backtanner
The wife has our first in production with an expected arrival of Jan 1st.
If we weren't going to have one of our own, our plan was to adopt. I saw this 17 y/o blond Russian girl who needed a loving home but I guess that idea is pretty much done.
17? Where do I find her at?:D

ratso
07-29-2004, 06:55 AM
-brian
I think his problem was from kids that misbehave and parents that do nothing about it...kind of like the ones that come into your showroom with $100,000+ boats and they let their kids run and jump around on every frigging boat you have in there, and then go buy a Bayliner.:D

Essex502
07-29-2004, 07:09 AM
Man...I'm glad you guys aren't parents.
Selfish- as in thinking about your own personal time being more important that carving out enough time, money, and energy to raise productive members of society.
Parenting ain't easy (nobody said it was). To do it right, it takes commitment- that commitment is to someone other than yourself. Now...there are rewards, but I don't want to tell you guys about that for the fear that you may actually try to have kids, and bring in more homeless starving children who behave badly in public and irritate others (cuz those kids aren't coming from parents who actually care).
I am now starting a fund. I will put in $20 towards a complimentary sterilizing for certain forum members who have posted in this thread.
Selfish to WHOM? In order to display selfishness there has to be someone whom you are putting your feelings or concerns above...since the child is unborn, where's the selfishness...to SOCIETY? GIVE ME A FOCKING BREAK!! It's not our problem nor requirement to populate society. Why do YOU feel it is your DUTY to provide productive members to society? Rewards? For what? Added to the population? It's a crapshoot as to what comes out of the womb. Furthermore...I'm not looking for a reward for continuing my bloodline.
Try to have kids...I know my wife & I won'l be having any.
Keep you $20 bucks...you'll need it to add to the other $200K to raise your child.

Scream
07-29-2004, 07:23 AM
That's why God invented Liquor!
Deb and I are really fortunate, IMO, in that we have undoubtedly the 3 best kids on the planet. I researched it, it's a proven fact...LOL
My 17 yo daughter finds fault with everything we do. But when I start gettin pissy about it, I remember that when I was 17, my parents had no clue either. Funny how that happens.
My sister has two sons. When she was a teen, she was hell on my dad. When her youngest started acting just like her, my dad would just say "what comes around, goes around" and start grinning from ear to ear.
God I love kids, even other peoples kids. What's wrong with me...
I work alot with young men in my son's Scout troop. I have absolutely no quams about correcting a misbehaving boy in front of his parents, and correcting the parents as well. I have a couple of kids with bully tendencies. I've had to correct them repeatedly for this. I take them aside and talk to them, then I take them to thier parents and talk together about thier issues and what needs to happen at home. Most parents, like myself, can easily turn a blind eye to thier kids when they misbehave. I do respect those parents that correct thier children immediately and remove them from a bad situation, like the restaurant or movie theater senario. That's absolutely the right thing to do.
Scream <--- getting more opinionated every day.

N2Lake
07-29-2004, 07:26 AM
Ditto that, where do I send my 20 bucks. Also maybe we could start a fund to pay the non-child rearing types to keep their advise about raising kids to themsleves. :argue: :yuk:

Racer277
07-29-2004, 07:45 AM
I'm with you Froggy!
Why is it that EVERY parent in the world feels it is ok to tell you that you should have kids (without ever considering why you don't)?
BUT, when you say to them they shouldn't have kids they get offended like you cussed them out.
And no one around here ever said a parent shouldn't have kids, all they've said is don't inflict them on us.
As far as selfish- if you make the decision to have kids, then why not adopt? Isn't it MUCH more selfish to have a child when there are millions who desperately need families?
I understand it requires being a hypocrite to raise a child, but sheesh!

Jrocket
07-29-2004, 07:55 AM
How did you come up with that?

Jrocket
07-29-2004, 07:56 AM
Keep you $20 bucks...you'll need it to add to the other $200K to raise your child.
Ahhhh the real reason,your a tight wad!:D

Racer277
07-29-2004, 07:59 AM
How did you come up with that?
Hope I didn't offend, but don't you spend your life advising the child not to do things you did when you were a child?
Maybe this shows my lack of experience, but if I raised a child, I would be the biggest hypocrite. I would constantly tell story of why he/she shouldn't do blah blah blah, "because when I did something like that, blah, blah, blah".
No insult intended.

Essex502
07-29-2004, 08:02 AM
Ahhhh the real reason,your a tight wad!:D
Not at all jrock...just realistic on the costs. It wasn't the cost at all that convinced me many, many years ago but the observations of all the requirements and responsibilities inherent with childrearing. I came to realize I wouldn't have the patience to do what is needed. Not being concerned about anything but my own personality and how that would affect the process.
Another comment...not aimed at you...
It's hilarious the cretins that crawl out from under rocks when a topic gets hot! :D

rvrtoy
07-29-2004, 08:02 AM
I'm with you Froggy!
Why is it that EVERY parent in the world feels it is ok to tell you that you should have kids (without ever considering why you don't)?
BUT, when you say to them they shouldn't have kids they get offended like you cussed them out.
And no one around here ever said a parent shouldn't have kids, all they've said is don't inflict them on us.
As far as selfish- if you make the decision to have kids, then why not adopt? Isn't it MUCH more selfish to have a child when there are millions who desperately need families?
Not every parent feels that everyone should have kids. By a few posts here I could tell you a few people who should NEVER have kids. No one is telling you to have kids, in fact...PLEASE DONT.
As I have stated before. If you can not control your kids, leave them at home. But they are still kids. As long as you correct them and handle the situations that arise in a tactful manner there should be no issues with taking them to public places. Nice resaurants included.
You are not selfish for not having kids. You know what you want out of life. Congratulations.
Hypocrite? I wont even go there.

Essex502
07-29-2004, 08:04 AM
Hope I didn't offend, but don't you spend your life advising the child not to do things you did when you were a child?
Maybe this shows my lack of experience, but if I raised a child, I would be the biggest hypocrite. I would constantly tell story of why he/she shouldn't do blah blah blah, "because when I did something like that, blah, blah, blah".
No insult intended.
Ain't that the truth...don't smoke...meanwhile lighting up those cigs...don't drink...holding a martini...don't smoke pot....while dealing with those 10 million brain cells lost in a pot smoke fillled haze...just say no to premarital sex...yep...sure.:D

nodigg
We decided not to hav any kids...3 times...the last time we stuck to it! (so far)

rivercrazy
Bottom line is misery loves company! :D :D
But on a more serious note, rugratless couples are some of the most discriminiated people of the planet....:rolleyes:

Essex502
07-29-2004, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
But on a more serious note, rugratless couples are some of the most discriminiated people of the planet....:rolleyes:
"discriminiated" ...what?:confused:

mbrown2
07-29-2004, 08:08 AM
There is some truth to that...

N2Lake
07-29-2004, 08:10 AM
It's hilarious the cretins that crawl out from under rocks when a topic gets hot! :D
Cretin. Well good to see you too Mike. I am going to be nice as I would hate to see you leave another board due to me. :D It sure is easy to call names from behind a keyboard.

rivercrazy
07-29-2004, 08:12 AM
"discriminiated" ...what?:confused:
Oops. Discriminated! Its worse in many ways than racial, ECONOMIC, religious discrimination, etc.
Did I say misery loves company! LOL! :D :D

Jrocket
07-29-2004, 08:12 AM
No insult intended.
No insult taken.Your last statement covers every situation in life not just raising kids.There isnt a person on the face of the earth that isnt a hypocrtie in one way or another.Whens the last time you got mad about somebody doing something and then a few minutes later though,I did that once myself?Just part of life,just like I want to raise akid in my part of life.
Theres nothing wrong with making the choice of not wanting kids.I fully stand by that choice if thats your choice.Ill raise my kid by teaching proper manners and respect to others,while still having fun and joking through life.I wont need any outside help from people who think they need to butt in and discipline my kid in public.
This is all just conversation and not directed at any one individual in here either.:)

N2Lake
07-29-2004, 08:19 AM
No insult taken.Your last statement covers every situation in life not just raising kids.There isnt a person on the face of the earth that isnt a hypocrtie in one way or another.
A great oppurtunity to imrove yourself.
This is all just conversation and not directed at any one individual in here either.:)
Not to say there are not some side bets going on. :rolleyes:

Racer277
07-29-2004, 08:19 AM
There isnt a person on the face of the earth that isnt a hypocrtie in one way or another.
1 Right!
2 Too Right!
We're all just sitting here in the bar (I wish) shooting the sht with some friends. Never meant it to get so heavy.
I have met some people on the boards (with their kids). They have all been great so far. I applaud all of your faith and determination for raising families. Just not my cup.
If you look a few pages back, many people commented how "we should do it", "we'll reget it", "it will change your outlook". No, but thanks anyway.

Essex502
07-29-2004, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by LoneStarRage
Cretin. Well good to see you too Mike. I am going to be nice as I would hate to see you leave another board due to me. :D It sure is easy to call names from behind a keyboard.
Why would you think it was referred to you?

N2Lake
07-29-2004, 08:22 AM
Why would you think it was referred to you?
If it wasn't my apologies.

Essex502
07-29-2004, 08:23 AM
Oops. Discriminated! Its worse in many ways than racial, ECONOMIC, religious discrimination, etc.
Did I say misery loves company! LOL! :D :D
Wasn't sure whether it was discriminated or discriminating. :D

Essex502
07-29-2004, 08:24 AM
If it wasn't my apologies.
Wasn't referring to anyone in particular but when you get a thread with 10 pages you start seeing all of the names that you never see...popping out and posting.
No appology required.

ULTRA28
07-29-2004, 08:26 AM
I think it is fine that people make the decision not to have kids. There are times that I run into people that I hope they make the same decision, not to breed. I don't feel that way about the people on these boards, because I do believe even though they made the decision, they could make good parents.
I do feel sorry for those of you that have made this decision and you will never really be able to understand why. Until you actually have kids you can't understand what it is all about.
Can you think of anything that you would give up everything you have for if you needed to, I mean EVERYTHING, including your life? I wouldn't think twice about giving up every last penny I had for my kids if I had to.
Again, I think it is fine that you don't want kids and I would not call you selfish for this, because you are giving up the single most important thing you could ever have in life.

jbtrailerjim
07-29-2004, 08:26 AM
I understand it requires being a hypocrite to raise a child, but sheesh! [/B]
Have you ever looked into how expensive and how hard it is to adopt a child? It's not like running down to your local pet adoption center and picking out a cute puppy or kitten and taking it home the same day. It's very expensive and not that easy.
As far as being a hypocrite. You could not be more far off than with that statement. It's called teaching your kids to learn from the mistakes you have made in the past. Thats not being a hypocrite. Thats called being a good parent and caring for your children.
This thread has now got interesting. At least I know who not to park next to when I'm at the lake with my bratty kids.:wink: :D

N2Lake
07-29-2004, 08:27 AM
Wasn't referring to anyone in particular but when you get a thread with 10 pages you start seeing all of the names that you never see...popping out and posting.
No appology required.
Just for fun how many of those people do you know are truly Cretins

Essex502
07-29-2004, 08:28 AM
As far as being a hypocrite. You could not be more far off than with that statement. It's called teaching your kids to learn from the mistakes you have made in the past. Thats not being a hypocrite. Thats called being a good parent and caring for your children.
I think what he meant was the parents that smoke, drink, smoke pot and then tell their children not to do those same things. Not that they did it in the past and quit but are still actively doing the deeds....

Essex502
07-29-2004, 08:29 AM
Just for fun how many of those people do you know are truly Cretins
I've met a few out on the lake that are definitely cretins! No names will be mentioned.

Racer277
07-29-2004, 08:33 AM
Have you ever looked into how expensive and how hard it is to adopt a child? It's not like running down to your local pet adoption center and picking out a cute puppy or kitten and taking it home the same day. It's very expensive and not that easy.
This thread has now got interesting. At least I know who not to park next to when I'm at the lake with my bratty kids.:wink: :D
I know more than you can imagine about the process. But, we were talking about how unselfish parents are weren't we?
Yes, it is called being a good parent, and being a hypocrite.
Well, I would hope that you and your kids would park next to me, as I've stated several times. But, if not, don't go away mad....

H20 Party Starter
07-29-2004, 08:34 AM
H2O=> no kids, just lots of puppies:D
1. I can lock the puppy in a closet and not get in trouble.
2. I can leave the puppy with enough food for the weekend and still go to the river.
3. Puppies don't tell anyone when you beat them
4. you can neuter/spay pets to control rude adolecent behavior
5. They can always go to the shelter, if I get arrested, deported or need to go on a trip around the world;)
Honestly, maybe someday, but not till I'm $RICH$$$.

N2Lake
07-29-2004, 08:35 AM
I know a couple who has raised a few adopted kids, from some very tough previous situations. It takes very special people.
On having kids or not to each their own. Kids have been a huge blessing in my life, and have helped to put things in a different perspective.

rivercrazy
07-29-2004, 08:40 AM
I think what he meant was the parents that smoke, drink, smoke pot and then tell their children not to do those same things. Not that they did it in the past and quit but are still actively doing the deeds....
Or romp off on trips without the kids while running around naked, doing the same sex grinding show, displaying MTV type behavior, getting drunk beyond all recognition, etc. But teaching their kids that those type of behaviors are wrong.:p ;)

Froggystyle
07-29-2004, 08:52 AM
What I build has no reflection on how I feel about kids. I have already stated that boaters on the whole take more responsibility for their children, and that makes all of the difference.
The good news is, I didn't overpay for that crappy advice. You know nothing about honesty or integrity in the build process, and nothing of commitment to the well being of your clients. I assure you that you of all people have no right or ability to debate me on this one. Lest we forget who sold me MY boat, or when I signed my loan papers...
Who cares? They didn't. That I don't feel it is my responsibility to reproduce and continue the race has no bearing on them whatsoever. In fact, it is a testament to the fact that they raised me to be successful at my endeavors, not strive for second place.
I don't think my parents would have had kids in todays world, in my situation. Your argument is without merit.
Check your PM's, and tread lightly...

Froggystyle
07-29-2004, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by ULTRA28
I think it is fine that people make the decision not to have kids. There are times that I run into people that I hope they make the same decision, not to breed. I don't feel that way about the people on these boards, because I do believe even though they made the decision, they could make good parents.
I do feel sorry for those of you that have made this decision and you will never really be able to understand why. Until you actually have kids you can't understand what it is all about.
Can you think of anything that you would give up everything you have for if you needed to, I mean EVERYTHING, including your life? I wouldn't think twice about giving up every last penny I had for my kids if I had to.
Again, I think it is fine that you don't want kids and I would not call you selfish for this, because you are giving up the single most important thing you could ever have in life.
BTW John, your two kids are on my "I would do anything for them list" too. You have two great kids, who I think are awesome and you know that.
I just think I make a better uncle at this point... I have seen the effort that you put into them, and while I applaud that, I don't even work out as much as I wish I would because of my schedule. And I only get busier.
I don't know how this got onto DINK bashing, but oh well.
Oh, and thanks to Gavin I have "Bluey the Ducky" stuck in my head forever...

jbtrailerjim
07-29-2004, 09:02 AM
Well, I would hope that you and your kids would park next to me, as I've stated several times. But, if not, don't go away mad.... [/B]
I was just poking fun at some of you. Honestly I don't worry about my kids when I'm parked next to somebody in Havasu. I keep a tight rein on my kids because I know not everyone enjoys somebody elses kid's.
I have no problem with anybody that decides not to have kids. It's a personal choice. I respect that and I don't find it selfish.

Essex502
07-29-2004, 09:04 AM
Or romp off on trips without the kids while running around naked, doing the same sex grinding show, displaying MTV type behavior, getting drunk beyond all recognition, etc. But teaching their kids that those type of behaviors are wrong.:p ;)
Agree on all points!

ratso
07-29-2004, 09:08 AM
I didn't realize that was unacceptable behavior...:D

rivercrazy
07-29-2004, 09:23 AM
I didn't either!
But as a parent if you teach your kids this stuff is wrong and then run off without them and don't practice what you preach, that's hypocritical. :D