PDA

View Full Version : Is Commander so bad??

AngryJosh
07-27-2004, 12:51 PM
I own a 1988 Commander that I'm happy with. I bought it used, so I never dealt with Commander directly. I have been to there site looking at there new boats quite a bit, and feel they offer an awesome product. Particularly their 26 and 28' CATS.
But, I constantly read here on ***boat about how they suck, their this, their that... Whats the deal??

OGShocker
07-27-2004, 12:57 PM
Does it float and provide your family with enjoyment? If your answer is yes, then that my friend is all that counts!

220EagleXp
07-27-2004, 12:58 PM
Is the sky blue, is water wet, do women have secrets:D

dicudmore
07-27-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by OGShocker
Does it float and provide your family with enjoyment? If your answer is yes, then that my friend is all that counts!
Agreed.....the bottom line is you're out there on the water having a good time with your family, regardless of the stickers on the side...

Dr. Eagle
07-27-2004, 01:02 PM
The boats really look nice, I think the problems people have run into was getting customer service when they had a problem. And with less than above board business practices (used boats sold as new, etc).
Otherwise they look like a hell of a nice boat...

Havasu_Dreamin
07-27-2004, 01:02 PM
OG is right, it's what makes you and your family happy that really counts. Everyone on here has opinions about Commander, me included. But you are the one that needs to be happy.

Kilrtoy
07-27-2004, 01:03 PM
I dont think all this would pertain to you.
And like stated if your having fun and all you are putting into the boat is GAS, Don't worry.
All this is geared towards NEW BOATS BEING BUILT

h2oski2fast
07-27-2004, 01:05 PM
My buddy is selling his 2002 2800 Cat. We worked all the bugs out of the boat, but dealing with Commander has put a bad taste in his mouth to the point were he doesn't want the boat any longer. Everytime the boat went in for service/warrantee, it would come back with more problems then it went in with. Commander's service and repair people are incompetent, rude and just plain unprofesional.
I finally took care of all the problems related to warrantee myself.

AngryJosh
07-27-2004, 01:07 PM
Thats what I mean. In the future, I might sell my little boat and go BIG. So should I steer clear of Commander??

HalletDave
07-27-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by h2oski2fast
My buddy is selling his 2002 2800 Cat. We worked all the bugs out of the boat, but dealing with Commander has put a bad taste in his mouth to the point were he doesn't want the boat any longer. Everytime the boat went in for service/warrantee, it would come back with more problems then it went in with. Commander's service and repair people are incompetent, rude and just plain unprofesional.
What type of problems?
Power plant, outdrive, hardware, cosmetic or structural problems?

dicudmore
07-27-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by AngryJosh
Thats what I mean. In the future, I might sell my little boat and go BIG. So should I steer clear of Commander??
I believe that might be the general consensus around here Josh..
Anytime you want to come out to LV (moving next week) I can arrange you a ride in my 29' Cheetah, or lots of other options from the lasvegas***boats crowd....

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-27-2004, 01:12 PM
Good boat :D. service :confused:, What they need is an ass kicking Q/C person to get things done. It should take 4 weeks to get a 20 hour service. But my boat does run good in rough water and in cruise to catalina So I am happy with it.

dicudmore
07-27-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by SHAKE-YO-AZZ
Good boat :D. service :confused:, What they need is an ass kicking Q/C person to get things done. It should take 4 weeks to get a 20 hour service. But my boat does run good in rough water and in cruise to catalina So I am happy with it.
It's all about having a good time isn't it SYA :D
I ran next to a 29' Signature at Mead memorial weekend, and have seen it out there since. Looks like the boat they had at the LA show, pretty nice lookin' boat.

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-27-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by dicudmore
It's all about having a good time isn't it SYA :D
You got that right :D and I love to have fun Dicu

Ziggy
07-27-2004, 01:28 PM
There will always be someone who can't be please to satisfation by any maker, bottom line is you enjoy it and its fun.
Personally I have had good luck with both my Commanders, both purchased new, second one custom ordered and on time, with even a few extras thrown in for me. Better results with them if done with Sugar rather than with Spice. And maybe a few extra ZipTies like the Cheetahs.
It floats, it goes, everyone is happy.

h2oski2fast
07-27-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by HalletDave
What type of problems?
Power plant, outdrive, hardware, cosmetic or structural problems?
Cosmetically it looked good, the gel did not turn out as it was drawn. Bad spots in the mold (which only took over 2 years and at least 4 months i at Commander to get fixed). The boat was said to do close to 80 mph, when my buddy told me that I laughed. Turns out the first weekend out we could only squeek 57mph out of it, and that's with a DPX 500hp Volvo. Turns out Commander didn't even know what drive they had put on the boat. The interior wasn't finished when the boat, that was more than 2 weeks behind schedule, was delivered. Upon removing the interior panels to install the stereo, the wires were just hanging there not attached to anything. They also looked like a rats nest with wires hanging out of the bundle.
I could go on for days, but I'm tired of typing. Bottom line, if it were me, I wouldn't buy a Commander (especially after they filed BK).

Phat Matt
07-27-2004, 01:33 PM
I bought mine new/custom and haven't had any major issues. A few problems here and there but Commander took care of them for me. Overall I have had a good experience with them. Maybe I'm lucky, but they put out a lot of boats.

Kilrtoy
In the past commander was a good quality boat,
But as in most everything, if you dont step up when the rest of the competition does, you get left behind. Case and Point Commander and now BK, I say we let this thread die as most everyone on here already knows not to BUY FROM THEM.....

h2oski2fast
Shake Yo Azz,
I threw you the "Shocker" at the Sandbar on saturday. I was on the 2800 cat that was side tied to the silver Mas28 (the euro, James Bond, looking boat), that we call the Sliver Dildo.

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-27-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
In the past commander was a good quality boat,
But as in most everything, if you dont step up when the rest of the competition does, you get left behind. Case and Point Commander and now BK, I say we let this thread die as most everyone on here already knows not to BUY FROM THEM.....
:eek:
Or you can buy a ShockWave and need tape to keep your tailer light on :eek:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1616Picture_002-med.jpg
You will see Kilrtoy with me in my COMMANDER :D for Dam Run II
LOLOLOLOhttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1616Picture_004-med.jpg

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-27-2004, 02:18 PM
Shake Yo Azz,
I threw you the "Shocker" at the Sandbar on saturday. I was on the 2800 cat that was side tied to the silver Mas28 (the euro, James Bond, looking boat), that we call the Sliver Dildo.
Whats up h2o, did you have a good weekend

Kilrtoy
07-27-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by SHAKE-YO-AZZ
:eek:
Or you can buy a ShockWave and need tape to keep your tailer light on :eek:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1616Picture_002-med.jpg
You will see Kilrtoy with me in my COMMANDER :D for Dam Run II
LOLOLOLOhttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1616Picture_004-med.jpg
That is a good one, But actually the light went bad so I replaced it and the rubber was also bad so I replaced it. The light burned out after the second use again. But, I made the mistake of buying it from COMMANDER, so that is why it is held together with tape.....

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-27-2004, 02:54 PM
;) sure you did LOLOLOL

Kilrtoy
07-27-2004, 02:59 PM
Where is plya when you need him. He has some pics to post....

ahhell
07-27-2004, 03:18 PM
I bought my Commander used and that was from a third time Commander owner. Only problem i had was an oil leak, which was quickly fixed the JB weld way(my bitch is with Dooley oil pans), other than that, im happy. Sounds like everyone is bitching about the boat instead of the f-up selling them, would it be the same if you got bent over on a Mercedes deal? ...Mercedes-benz sucks???
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1518107_0786-med.jpg
just my 2 cents;)

ROZ
07-27-2004, 03:19 PM
Where is plya when you need him. I figured he was the one who fixed your light and lost the screws checkin' out a 9th wonder booty :D

Acommanderguy
07-27-2004, 03:23 PM
only problem Ive ever had was i got a bad forward and reverse cable from dominator. I called sy and it ws in the middle of summer and he told me to bring it on down which isnt close to me, they dropped everything and got me in and out in 2 hours. but in 9 years thats the only problem i had with my boat and they stepped to the plate for me

PlyaPlya22
07-27-2004, 03:23 PM
While these two were arguing over the light and who did what. I was playing with the ninth wonder of the world:eek!:

SoCalOffshore
07-27-2004, 03:29 PM
The bottom line. Giving your hard earned cash to any company in BK is, to say the least, very risky!!! Buyer beware. Remember, if they go Chapter 7, you loose your money.

Kilrtoy
07-27-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by ROZ
I figured he was the one who fixed your light and lost the screws checkin' out a 9th wonder booty :D
Oh hell no, After the oil cap drain plug and then wait till you see the HAIRCUT he gave himself. I would never let him touch my light

dicudmore
07-27-2004, 03:35 PM
Oh hell no, After the oil cap drain plug and then wait till you see the HAIRCUT he gave himself. I would never let him touch my light
screw that.....make sure he keeps his hands off your wife ;)

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-27-2004, 03:38 PM
You are not right LOLOLOLOLO

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-27-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by dicudmore
screw that.....make sure he keeps his hands off your wife ;)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1616Picture_054-med.jpg
Yes and I think he wants to still the kids too :eek:

PlyaPlya22
07-27-2004, 04:08 PM
This guy has no time for a decent hair cut. I gotta make my rounds. They have a good team but they need a new coach:D