PDA

View Full Version : How fast?

zmoz
07-27-2004, 03:49 PM
I think I'm going to be getting a jet within the next month or so. Not sure what yet, but it will be something from the '70s for about $4-5k. Either a 454 or a 455, 17-19 foot, with the low profile hull that pretty much any '70s jet has.
Anyway, I will be doing some engine work, maybe even a supercharger. I don't know much about jets...yet. Aproximately how fast am I looking at with about 400hp? 500hp?
Thanks ;)

MudPumper
07-27-2004, 03:51 PM
It all depends on the hull, pumpwork, bottom work, etc. etc. etc. Stay away from the 455 at all costs.

zmoz
07-27-2004, 07:53 PM
I know there are alot of variables, I'm just looking for a general idea here. 60mph? (god I hope not!) 70? 80? 300? ;)
I'm looking for something like this (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2485179637&category=66467) as an example. What's so bad about the 455?

Petrofied
07-27-2004, 08:02 PM
Average jet boat runs 65 to 72..........:)

zmoz
07-27-2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Petrofied
Average jet boat runs 65 to 72..........:)
And how about one with 500hp? ;)

BrendellaJet
07-27-2004, 08:26 PM
455's are not the best choice. Some people like em. Chevy is cheaper to build good power with. If you plan to go fast in a jet boat, you'll need plenty of that. 455 for one does not oil well. This can be addressed, but for my money Ill take a chevey or even a 460.

zmoz
07-27-2004, 08:40 PM
Not saying I'm going to get a 455, but if I find one I like for a good price, I'm not going to run from it...

dgie
07-27-2004, 08:45 PM
If you find one at a good price, make sure you include all the oiling goodies, then sit back and look at the price again. I say this from experience. When this 455 blows I will be ebaying all the engine crap including the OT headers and going 454...Listen to these guys they know what they are talking about. Just my 2 cents

BrendellaJet
07-27-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by zmoz
Not saying I'm going to get a 455, but if I find one I like for a good price, I'm not going to run from it...
Just make sure you know what your expectations will be. If you plan to go fast, go Chevy or Ford, the olds wont live nearly as long.

DeltaSigBoater
07-27-2004, 11:10 PM
If you plan to go w/ the olds, the boat will go as fast as your tow rig can pull it on the highway.

Petrofied
07-27-2004, 11:23 PM
And how about one with 500hp? ;) MRS. P's infamous Hot Dog boat with 525 hp runs 73 to 76 mph. No ride plate, droop or shoe. Boat has 9" of blocker in it with an FTN diverter.......Heres a picture. :) http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/999DSCN0305-med.JPG

zmoz
07-28-2004, 12:00 AM
So an "average" jet runs 65-72 and a 500hp jet runs 73-76? :confused:

sleekster
07-28-2004, 03:50 AM
I don't think there is no real direct hp to speed relationship due to the many variables, i myself have a 1979 sleekcraft and run a 454 dual 450 holley's 11:1 and put out an honest 475 hp 502 torque on the dyno berkely 12jg before my place divertor 80.4 mph on gps during a wide turn and coming out of the water! i set my rev limiter at 6500 so either there is a lot of hull work or satan has blessed my boat there is nothing special oh and my pump was rebuilt with no special attention except a tanzoli impellor.

BigBoyToys
07-28-2004, 04:33 AM
Too many variables there. Engine build specs are important to match up with the pump, hull selection is important, and of course, pump capabilities and setup are important.
I have a Hull with pump that I just sold the motor out of. It ran in the high 70's to low 80's with a basically stock pump and about 600hp, but I think the thing that made it able to run those numbers was/is the hull design. But, you can take the same motor/pump setup and put it in a different hull and run 10mph slower. BTW, the boat is for sale minus motor for $3500.00.

manuel
07-28-2004, 05:25 AM
Jets can be fast, Shannon Stewart, blown fuel jet, 161.68 MPH &
7.13 et at Firebird;)

Danhercules
07-28-2004, 06:16 AM
I got about 500 hp and am in the low 70's. Still tuning. The pump is very important. You can have 700HP and go 75 with a poorly set up hull and a loose pump.
Just about everyone over estamates their speed. If you buy a boat from someone that is not on here, run it with them and bring a GPS. You will be suprised. There have been many Ebay jets on here that claim 100MPH and will problaly bairly hit 70. 70 feels very fast on the water. Just bring a GPS.

Squirtcha?
07-28-2004, 07:09 AM
Why would you subject yourself to this?
"The never ending Olds 455 problem" (http://www.banderlog.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1268)
I'm not saying that you can't get an Olds to work in a jet, and as you can see from some of the posts..................some of the Olds users have repaired their problem. I'm just saying you won't have to worry about those issues with a BBF or BBC.

JET-O-VATOR
07-28-2004, 07:13 AM
whats up with the rear view mirror??:confused: http://i13.ebayimg.com/02/i/02/2b/01/11_12_s.JPG

Squirtcha?
07-28-2004, 08:09 AM
In some states it's legal to ski without a spotter (driver and skier only)............provided you have a rearview mirror.
I'd have some kind of mirror on mine, if it were legal in Arizona. Many times I wanted to ski and couldn't dig up a third person.

dmontzsta
07-28-2004, 08:43 AM
Most jet guys I talk to say they do 100+ :)
Is it true that the "average" jet boat does 65-72mph?

SoggyJet
07-28-2004, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Squirtcha?
In some states it's legal to ski without a spotter (driver and skier only)............provided you have a rearview mirror.
I'd have some kind of mirror on mine, if it were legal in Arizona. Many times I wanted to ski and couldn't dig up a third person.
Now Dan I doubt a minor thing like that would stop you from sking - just take along someone from NJ :cool: that can claim ignorance.
Doug McCoy

HavasuDreamin'
07-28-2004, 10:21 AM
What's so bad about the 455?
Nothing if you thoroughly enjoy the upper body workout that rowing provides. :D

LVjetboy
07-28-2004, 11:29 AM
zmoz, here's some numbers...
http://members.cox.net/lvjetboy/DragCurve.jpg
A well setup 18 foot shallow v or 21 foot tunnel jet can run mid to high 70's with 500 actual hp (not rated or corrected) and an 18-19 foot tunnel can run mid to high 80's with 500 hp. Poor setup, hook or other issues? Depends on how severe, a major problem could limit a small jet to less than 70 with that power.
As others have posted...too many variables to quote one number especially if you haven't picked out your jet yet...but that gives you an idea of average ranges based on quite a few jets. I can give you more specific examples if you like.
jer

Squirtcha?
07-28-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by SoggyJet
Now Dan I doubt a minor thing like that would stop you from sking - just take along someone from NJ :cool: that can claim ignorance.
Doug McCoy
Doug................you ol lurker you!
Come back out and we'll see if we can dodge Johnny Law again.

Petrofied
07-28-2004, 01:11 PM
I had alot of luck with 455s. Fact is I even had a blown one. Here is a picture of it with a 6-71 and the motor lived @ 6K+ for five years untill Detonation lifted a head. ( Drunk on Pump gas ) and was called out by a Flattie.........:D http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/999Nasty_Little_Girl_16_blown_455_Olds-med.jpg

Petrofied
07-28-2004, 01:17 PM
Here is a picture of it when I had it on NOS. Mrs. P. had the NOS bottle lettered it said, Push on the button step on the gas YES it's an Olds that will kick your ass!http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/999Nasty_Little_Girl_455_Olds_On_250_NOS-med.jpg

moneysucker
07-28-2004, 01:36 PM
I bet you wouldn't even fit in that boat now. Get back to work.

Mrs. Psycho Squid
07-28-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by moneysucker
I bet you wouldn't even fit in that boat now. Get back to work.
The luv nub would have to steer!! :D :D Hehe just kidding :p

Petrofied
07-28-2004, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by moneysucker
I bet you wouldn't even fit in that boat now. Get back to work. How do you get back to something you never left??? I can just see the hamster wheel turning in side your head. :rolleyes:

Mrs. Psycho Squid
07-28-2004, 04:49 PM
You are correct. That would make my boat above average :p

Floored
07-28-2004, 07:25 PM
the resale of a boat is greater with a BBC or BBF. I wouldn't trade my olds for either. when they are built slowly and carefully they are a "GOOD" motor, not great, but good. Cylinder heads are the main power limiting factor. If you want a lake racer then go BBC,BBF it's cheaper and easier but all engines can fail, just read the boards. I am quite happy with my modified Jacuzzi pump, but for easier parts replacement and servicing Berkely is the best way to go and then again their are certain ones you don't really want . You have to think about what are you going to do with the boat, ski, tube, cruise, or do you just want a pure Hot Rod and then go from there. do your homework then decide

seho
07-28-2004, 09:32 PM
"Please explain corrected horsepower"
Thats when you're on the lake and someone asks you how much horsepower you have and you say "750" and your buddy standing next to you says "Thats bullshit (which is Okie for 'You are incorrect') you MIGHT have 400 if you could keep the damn plug wires off the exhaust."

LVjetboy
07-29-2004, 01:49 AM
DragBoats, was your question to me about corrected horsepower serious? If so I'd be happy to answer. If not then soho's post works as well as any...funny enough. Hey! Let's do a social thread.
CORRECTED POWER:
- Ur sitting on the john n' that laxitive kicks in. Seriously corrected! And POWER to boot.
- Whoa...corrected power's when a v-drive spanks a jet...talk about corrected! Funny huh?
- Wait. My bad. Corrected power's when you say, "I'm the king" and she says, "then no sex for a month" What r.u. gonna do? Ha ha WAY freakin' corrected maybe not funny.
Or I could just post a technical answer to DragBoats question assuming he doesn't already know? Not a problem. Maybe more worthwhile than the above. So where's zmoz? Did this thread already scare him off w/social BS?
Guess I'd better stop before Rex censors 'n locks me down. That'd be CORRECTED cause he's got the POWER.
jer

jweeks123
07-30-2004, 12:03 AM
lv, u work at a comedy club when u not posting here or speedin at the lake in ur jet boat?
too funny:D
jw

LVjetboy
07-30-2004, 02:07 AM
No comedy club here as you can tell...I got little humor. Especially late nights. :) But I certainly do have a serious answer to DragBoat's question. If he or anyone cares that is. Naw let's just post "funny" sh*t.
jer

Back Forty
07-30-2004, 06:33 AM
I think this quote from that never ending problem thread sums it up.
"I have seen some bad ones in the past making allot more RPMs than most of us with no oiling problems. I must be overlooking something......................................... ......"
For all of you that complain about the Olds understand that the problem starts with you not the Olds. Incompetence does not mean a free pass from being responsible for your mistakes. If you can't use your brain then sell your ride and buy into an expensive rocking chair.
:o

Squirtcha?
07-30-2004, 08:31 AM
I understand your being defensive. If someone were to bash the BBFs, I'd probably get defensive too (What am I talking about.........people bash the blue oval every day).
I've been on all the boards for the past six years, and It does seem like they have more oiling issues, water in the oil, sustained high rpm problems etc. than the others. Maybe it's just my imagination?
My only point was that you needn't do anything special with the other two as far as oiling mods etc. Granted, it you build any of em wrong, it's a recipe for disaster.
I almost bought an Olds when I was looking for my last boat. The person that led me to the deal bought it out from under me while my loan was coming through (I was pissed). A week later that person had it out and it spun a main. The boat had run for years with that motor in it. This person ran it a little too hard for too long and that was the end of it.
Parts pricing is also a problem, but I'm also a victim of that,
running the BBF.
I must admit, I do kinda like the idea of running something other than what everybody else seems to have. However, if I had it to do all over again, I'd probably buy a Chevy just because of the availability of performance parts, and the stuff for em is cheaper.

Back Forty
07-30-2004, 09:52 AM
I hear you Squirtcha. I like them all and can't agree more about the others not needing the mods. Believe me when I say I wouldn't think twice about a big chevy or ferd in a hot application. Maybe over 600 hp or something who knows...
The Olds oiling system can go a long way in the stock configuration. As soon as the average coon ass hotrodder starts slapping all of the magazine hotrod parts on it like HV pumps and so on, the shit hits the fan and people start pointing fingers... Something else, the average Olds powered boat goes for less on the market which means the guy that gets into one may not be a foaming at the mouth gear head. When this person has to get engine work done, they take what they get from the local el cheapo machinist and make the terrible mistake of not making it there business to know and understand their clearences and what will work. The info is out there and you don't have to try to figure it out on your own. It's inconvient that the Olds stuff isn't all figured out like the Chevy or ford designs but thats life. Dumbasses come out of the wood work to make a slam about the Olds. I have to laugh because these are the same dust heads that will stick a Holley on everything because they're "easier to tune.":wink:
If you spin a bearing on a more or less stock 455 that had many years on it otherwise, it's the operator's fault most likely. Should have checked the oil level... Thats about the only thing that would go wrong aside from a total hammering due to detonation.
I've been running mine with 5qt.s of 10/30wt stock pump(60psi when cold maybe 42 when hot at rpm), oil cooler and a 140* thermostat this year. I run it hard as in 4000 + rpms for lengthy periods. I just ran it for two 4 hour runs at 3700 to 4000 rpms with WOT bouts peppered in there. If I pop the thing I'll be sure to come on here and show my cards. I'm pretty sure as long as I keep oil in it I'm never going to have the problem with all else being correct.
Just to state my position, I'm not one of the Olds r nothin, Chevy r nothin, Ford r nothin types. I do come from a family that happened to be into Oldsmobiles for several generations. I'm not a lunk head that hates everybody for not running an Olds. I'm just a hot rodder who doesn't like to put up with a dumbass.
Must be the internet thing. In person I would simply not have a gear head conversation with somebody that likes to talk shit. I've got better things to think about than that.
Most of the Olds guys around here are talking about lake boats. Not to many lake boats that an properly configured Olds mill wouldn't be fine for or for that matter a Chevy, Ford, or Mopar.:wink:
No biggy, have fun out there and please pile on now that I swatted the hornets nest.:D
I forgot... I can't wait to do a chevy project coming up on my priority list for no other reason than to build a hot car on the Chevy budget!:wink: I've already bought heads and obtained a large chunk of the hard parts. Stuff's fun because it's cheap! Least the chevy part of it is...:yuk: It's all expensive in the end!

BrendellaJet
07-30-2004, 10:01 AM
40- Relax man. Nobody is bashing the olds. Just pointing out the problems to a newbie.
And anyone who mocks those who "have to laugh because these are the same dust heads that will stick a Holley on everything because they're easier to tune" doesn't know how to tune a holley-they really are easier.:D

Back Forty
07-30-2004, 10:08 AM
:D
:cool:

LVjetboy
07-31-2004, 02:05 AM
How about this? "Life's too short to run the Olds learning curve. Especially if you're Old."
I've rebuilt Pontiac, Ford, Chevy and Honda engines. All have quicks, none are perfect. But why butt your head against known design flaws and limited performance parts? I don't mean to put down those who already have an Olds. But for those considering a first purchase? Why not choose and engine with better potential and not so many patches? I understand the novalty thing. But like I said, live's short.
Why not put that money saved into a killer stereo and have both performance and novalty?
jer

Back Forty
07-31-2004, 07:40 AM
Sounds right to me. Know your short comings and get the most out of your abilities! I think thats where quite a few go wrong.
As Grampa once said,"don't sweat the petty stuff, spend your time pettin' the sweaty stuff.";) :D
:eek: