PDA

View Full Version : has anyone ever tried

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-27-2004, 08:49 PM
has anyone ever tried to quit smoking with smoke away?
just currious as to know if anyone knows how it works.. we are trying but need the best way and the some what easiest way to do it..
the vee's need help and input.. ;)

j-rod
07-27-2004, 08:50 PM
no

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-27-2004, 08:52 PM
quick and to the point..
I need to go to bed so if anyone can help out.. I'll read in the morning..
good night all.. and thanks.. ;)

MAINEVENT
07-27-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by MRS FLYIN VEE
just currious as to know if anyone knows how it works.. we are trying but need the best way and the some what easiest way to do it..
If it works for you let me know....
MAIN(NEED TO QUIT SMOKING TOO)EVENT

Kilrtoy
07-27-2004, 09:03 PM
You know what worked for me,
the misses ssaid until you stop no more kisses and you sleep on the couch.
Damn I quit that night after 15 years or so of smoking Camels.
One of the best things i ever did.........

rrrr
07-27-2004, 09:15 PM
quick and to the point..
I need to go to bed so if anyone can help out.. I'll read in the morning..
good night all.. and thanks.. ;)
Hey MFV, I quit and it stuck. I honestly think the reason I succeeded was the PRIVATE preparation. I decided in March or April that January 1 was the date. I DIDN'T TELL A SOUL....
Months went by and I convinced myself that tobacco was the most vile, disgusting thing on Earth.
On New Years Day, I said "I'm done." No buildup with the family, no pressure on myself. By the time January 1 rolled around, I was ready.
Problems? Oh, yeah. I gained 50 lbs. (I am 6' 2 "). After four years I have lost thirty of the fifty. I think it's a good trade. I watched my grandfather and favorite uncle suck on an oxygen bottle as they died from emphysema.
It's scary, sweetie. You have to succeed. Tobacco will rob your years on Earth.
Make a plan. You and your hubby are very successful because of your hard work. Take that same initiative and implement a plan that will keep you alive for many years.
Uh, after all...You gotta pay for the new boat. :D :D

Boozer
07-27-2004, 09:37 PM
I quit with the patch and managed to keep it up for 6 months.
I have been smoking since. I am going to do the patch again in the next week or two and if it doesnt work im going the hypnosis route. I have known several people who have had hypnosis done to quit and still arent smoking.

ratso
07-27-2004, 09:44 PM
If you quit smoking after sex, wouldn't that just about cut most of it out?:D

DogHouse
07-27-2004, 09:48 PM
My mom quit after smoking for 50+ years, I think because she realized that I would not bring her grandkids to her home and subject them to second hand smoke! She used the patch and never looked back. She is much better off for quitting, but sadly much damage has been done and she will suffer with mild emphasyma for the rest of her life.
Good luck!
-brian

SoCalOffshore
07-27-2004, 09:57 PM
I quit 11 months ago and I was smoking 2 packs of Marlboro per day. I used the pill for 10 days before and then added the patch. They worked perfect. Use both, the patch makes the cig taste bad. although, it takes a week or so to start to work. then the pill reduces the stress after you quit. The patch cuts back the nicotine withdraws. Now I can breathe. :D

C-2
07-27-2004, 10:03 PM
More power to all you folks! You can do it.
I only smoked about a year in my adolescent days, so it was no big deal for me. Now if I can just get rid of this mullett.....

Scream
07-27-2004, 10:06 PM
Hey Ms V. I quit twice. The first time with much fanfare on New Years. Used the patch for a time and then slacked off. Gained a bunch of weight and got pissy at the drop of a hat. Just ask Debbolas...lol
Started smoking again because I wasn't real serious about quiting in the first place and quit for the wrong reasons as well. That lasted 8 months.
The second time I quit I was bitching at my doctor that I couldn't breathe when I slept. He looked at me and just shook his head and said "What are you doing, you're crazy, why would you do this to yourself". About a month later my son was going through DARE. He had to write a story for the class. It went like this,
"There I sat, watching my favorite person in the whole world waste away on drugs..." I read the story at open house and found out he was talking about me and my smoking. I quit not too long after that because he means more to me than anything. That was almost 6 years ago and I will never smoke again and have absolutely no desire to or never had this time.
Good luck and watch the mood swings...LOL
Scream

LASERRAY
07-27-2004, 10:07 PM
I succeded with hypnosis for 2 years until I caved to peer pressure.:D And then finally quit over four years ago with Wellbutrin. (Used to be sold under the brand name Zannax). I'll never smoke again.;)
Good luck sweets. You can do it. You'll be digging the benefits of being smoke-free.

PlyaPlya22
07-27-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
You know what worked for me,
the misses ssaid until you stop no more kisses and you sleep on the couch.
Damn I quit that night after 15 years or so of smoking Camels.
One of the best things i ever did.........
That would definitely do the trick...Better hope she doesn't take the same approach with the boat:eek!:

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
07-28-2004, 03:55 AM
set yourself some goals.:) I quit cold turkey after 10 yrs. I played the rule of 3. start out shooting for 3 days, after you make 3 days push your self to 3 weeks, after that go for 3 months. When you make the 3 month mark your desires should subside considerably. If you can make it 3 months you pretty much have it whipped. I am looking forward to a 3 year celebration. be sure to reward yourself at every milestone you make:)
I am actually trying to coax the g/f into quiting. it has actually started to disgust me. she comes in the house after smoking OUTSIDE and smells like an ashtray, especially her hair:eek: anyhow I made her a deal in diamonds:D I told her if she could quit for one full year I would buy her a 3 ca. diamond ring. the power of 3's she is seriously considering quiting now. wonder why:idea:
Omega

JetBoatRich
07-28-2004, 04:33 AM
Quit smoking and think of all the money you will for other things:rolleyes:
I have never had the habit. So good luck;)

v-drive
07-28-2004, 05:03 AM
My oldest son was 5 and in kindergarden. I had tried to quit before without success. Anyway one evening I was getting ready to light up the after dinner smoke when he made the comment that his teacher said people that smoked were dirty! That was 28 years ago. Cold turkey is the only way to go.
:D v-drive

HCS
07-28-2004, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by JetBoatRich
Quit smoking and think of all the money you will for other things:rolleyes:
I have never had the habit. So good luck;)
Me either. It's a filthy habbit.:yuk:

gramps
07-28-2004, 05:54 AM
I had a 2 a pak day "habit" for 23 years. 10 years ago I went to a hypnotherpist (sp?)......................haven't touched 'em since.

welk2party
07-28-2004, 06:23 AM
You have to make up your mind 100% and just go for it. You need to decide that there is nothing you would rather not do than smoking and be convinced. The power of the mind can really help with the cravings.

RIPPINGNOLEGSKROKER
07-28-2004, 06:54 AM
I went cold turkey 3 weeks ago, and it has been rough. I'm pissed and hungry and my lungs feel worse. All hating aside, I know it is for the best and prepared for a month. Set a date and make sure that without a doubt you are over smoking. I know about temptation, I have gone to the river 2 weekends and went on a wedding bender the other and have made it. Pill, patch, shrink, whatever you think will work, only you can decide.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
07-28-2004, 08:05 AM
Hey Char,
I am quitting too. But I am actually going through Kaiser's quit smoking program to do it. I start on August 10th. We shall see how it goes. Its a 6 week dealio with a class once a week, kind of like AA, support group thingy, and they have dr's on hand too. I will also have access to any of the quit smoking aides, like the patch or some other pills if I want.
I am totally ready to quit but I know I need help doing it. Its worth a shot.
I will keep ya updated!
:cool:

RiverDave
07-28-2004, 08:17 AM
If anyone finds anything that works let me know... :(
I've tried twice now in the last year or so and have come up short both times.
RD

78Eliminator
07-28-2004, 08:31 AM
***Disclaimer: HARSH WORDS TO FOLLOW
I was not a smoker, but I dipped for several years. Dipping actually put more nicotine into your system than a cigarette does, thus the addiction is a lot stronger. But lets not debate that point. The point is GET A ****ING BACK BONE. I quit, cold turkey, and if I can do it, so can you.
The point is, you don't want to quit, and you don't have the will power to do it. So just give up. You will quit when you are put in the ground. Maybe you will quit when you have your lung removed and you are on oxygen tanks and can barely walk. You might quit when your voice box is removed and you have to burp min order to speak.
The point is, you will quit one way or another. Why not do it the easy way now? Get a god damned back bone!!!!! People out there love you, it is SELFISH to kill yourself. Do it for your mother and father, your children, your friends and all the people who breath your second hand smoke.
Get pictures of people with holes in their throats, oxygen tanks, get a picture if a lung cut in half that is filled with tar. Put these pictures up all over your house and place of work to remind you. EDUCATE YOURSELF. KNOW, it is going to be hard. Get pissed off and go against corporate america that is USING YOUR LIFE to make money. Sorry to be a hard ass, but I would rather say good bye to you later, than sooner. You reading this RD!!!!!!!!!!!!??
The patch, pills, gimicks... they are all bull shit. You have to commit to quitting mentally.

dicudmore
07-28-2004, 08:41 AM
GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU :D
The V's, MrsboardsmnJ, RD etc...
not real easy thing to do, but you'll be happy you did.
Extra $$$ for boat gas...
Or maybe a big party later in the year with some of the saved $$$

Bryan Rose
07-28-2004, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by LASERRAY
And then finally quit over four years ago with Wellbutrin. (Used to be sold under the brand name Zannax)
Don't you mean ZOLOFT.... Zannax is a muscle relaxer.
Bryan

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-28-2004, 08:54 AM
wow.. I thank you all for the insperation(sp) I will get my back bone.. I know I can do it..
The hubby and I are setting a date to do it together, it is too hard to try and quit when the other is smoking..
I really appriciate all the in put from everyone..
I got a call yesturday that my mother inlaw is on oxygen and is not doing well at all.. she is only 58 yrs old and she can't walk 5 feet without taking a rest..
Jamie is not doing well through this time with his mom but we can't do anything for her now.. just for ourselves.. and that is to quit..
I have been smoking since I was 14.. and I am now 36.. :eek:
it is going to be a long road ahead.. but we will do this.. I want to see my kids graduate from college and have a family.. I want to play with my grandkids and not from a wheel chair and an oxygen tank..
thank all of you for the support and encouragement.. and please be patient with me if I'm being a b itch while posting.. please just say Hey your being a b itch.. count to 10 and say it again.. :D
I am setting my goal and am going to start on friday.. that is three days away..I am going to try cold turkey and maybe get the patch.. Jamie is trying the smokeaway and see how that goes..
thank you all again.. and help us through this when possible.. ;)

78Eliminator
07-28-2004, 08:57 AM
whoops

78Eliminator
07-28-2004, 08:59 AM
Oh and one more thing, setting a date is also bull shit. Quit right now and be done with it. Don't rely on your sig. other to help you. YOU have to be the strong one.....
And don't "see how it goes". Tell yourself "I have already had my last cigarette". Do that and you are there.....
Justin (Hard Ass Drill Intructor)

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-28-2004, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by 78Eliminator
Oh and one more thing, setting a date is also bull shit. Quit right now and be done with it. Don't rely on your sig. other to help you. YOU have to be the strong one.....
And don't "see how it goes". Tell yourself "I have already had my last cigarette". Do that and you are there.....
Justin (Hard Ass Drill Intructor)
thank you sweetie.. oh sorry YES SIR.. :D :D

dicudmore
07-28-2004, 09:05 AM
thank you sweetie.. oh sorry YES SIR.. :D :D
yes sir mr drill instructor sir :D

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-28-2004, 09:07 AM
LOL!! :D

91nordic29
07-28-2004, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Bryan Rose
Don't you mean ZOLOFT.... Zannax is a muscle relaxer.
Bryan
no, you mean ZIBAN. wellbutrin is the same thing. most insurance companies will cover wellbutrin for depression, etc but will not cover ziban for smoking. its all in what your doctor calls it. Zoloft is for anxiety.

dicudmore
07-28-2004, 09:14 AM
I am setting my goal and am going to start on friday.. that is three days away..
OK so from this weekend forward if I see you at the river w/a cigarette expect a scolding...

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-28-2004, 09:15 AM
so most dr.s will not cover a med.. they would rather treat people for cancer.. :confused: did I read this right.. or am I talking out of my ass..:D :D
what will most dr's cover for people that are trying to quit.if anyone knows..:D

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-28-2004, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by dicudmore
OK so from this weekend forward if I see you at the river w/a cigarette expect a scolding...
promise.. :p :D

Mrs. Bordsmnj
07-28-2004, 09:59 AM
so most dr.s will not cover a med.. they would rather treat people for cancer.. :confused: did I read this right.. or am I talking out of my ass..:D :D
what will most dr's cover for people that are trying to quit.if anyone knows..:D
Kaiser cover the meds if you go thru their program. They have a higher success rate with peeps who go thru the program and take Zyban. (I think thats what its called) My dr. says that Zyban really helps with minimal side effects but insurance won't cover it unless you actually do the support program too. He said too many people want an easier way with minimal effort but end up smoking again.
78Eliminator-Yippy for you to have such willpower and a backbone but its nots that easy for everyone else. Its always nice to have ex-smokers, or chewers in your case, put down people who are trying to quit. :yuk: I appreciate what you are trying to say but just because it was so easy for you, doesn't mean its that easy for others. I agree one has to want to and be ready to quit. I don't think there is anything wrong with getting a little help.
Good Luck Char, hang in there. We can chew on celery sticks at the river together. :cool:

HCS
07-28-2004, 10:02 AM
I must say. I feel for people who can not quit.
My mother started smoking when she was 16 years old.
In the past 20 years she has tried to quit several times.
She has failed everytime. She has been smoking for 56
years. Her system is dependent on them. That many years
of smoking is taking it's toll on her. I'm almost sure they will
take her down.:(
She is addicted.

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-28-2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Mrs. Bordsmnj
Kaiser cover the meds if you go thru their program. They have a higher success rate with peeps who go thru the program and take Zyban. (I think thats what its called) My dr. says that Zyban really helps with minimal side effects but insurance won't cover it unless you actually do the support program too. He said too many people want an easier way with minimal effort but end up smoking again.
78Eliminator-Yippy for you to have such willpower and a backbone but its nots that easy for everyone else. Its always nice to have ex-smokers, or chewers in your case, put down people who are trying to quit. :yuk: I appreciate what you are trying to say but just because it was so easy for you, doesn't mean its that easy for others. I agree one has to want to and be ready to quit. I don't think there is anything wrong with getting a little help.
Good Luck Char, hang in there. We can chew on celery sticks at the river together. :cool:
thank you.. I can go to Kaiser too.. and I look forward to sharing those celery sticks with you.. :D

78Eliminator
07-28-2004, 10:20 AM
78Eliminator-Yippy for you to have such willpower and a backbone but its nots that easy for everyone else.
That's my point. It WAS NOT easy. Everything in life that is worth something is not easy.

rrrr
07-28-2004, 10:33 AM
thank all of you for the support and encouragement.. and please be patient with me if I'm being a b itch while posting.. please just say Hey your being a b itch.. count to 10 and say it again.. :D
Hey MFV, I forgot the best part about my quitting. About eighteen months later I was telling someone about quitting. They asked me if I had any mood swings or other problems. I said something like "Nahhh, it was no big deal. I felt fine".
My wife looked at me kinda sternly and said "You were a phucking azzhole for three months".
:eek!: :eek!: :D :D
BTW, I actually quit smoking and switched to Skoal Bandits. Used those for eight years. 78 is right, oral tobacco is like mainlining nicotine.
Wanna know the power the stuff has over you? I quit 4 1/2 years ago, and to this day I still have to carry sugar free Breath Savers in my pocket so I can put something in my mouth when I get the craving. I used to eat three rolls a day at the beginning, now I'm a one roll a day user.... :D :D

BarryMac
07-28-2004, 10:45 AM
I have been smoking since I was 14.. and I am now 36.. :eek:
it is going to be a long road ahead.. but we will do this.. I want to see my kids graduate from college and have a family.. I want to play with my grandkids and not from a wheel chair and an oxygen tank..
Your kids will feel a lot better too, second hand smoke is as dangerous if not more dangerous than draggin down on the cancer stick itself. Do it for your kids, not only do you want to be at their Graduation and other important events, they want you there...
good luck, I sincerly hope that you and the mr. are successful...
gjb

Dr. Eagle
07-28-2004, 10:46 AM
I did it cold turkey... it was tough but I managed to do it!

Mrs. Bordsmnj
07-28-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by 78Eliminator
That's my point. It WAS NOT easy. Everything in life that is worth something is not easy.
I have no intention of getting in a pissing match over this but why should it matter to you how someone quits, cold turkey or with help, the point is they are quitting. I don't think it makes anyone less worthy if they had help.

91nordic29
07-28-2004, 10:51 AM
the INSURANCE companies wont cover zyban for smoking cessation. they will, however, cover Wellbutrin (the exact same drug, different name) if it is prescribed for depression, etc.
stupid. yes, i guess they would rather pay for cancer treatment than to pay for the Zyban. just like years ago, they would not cover birth control. idiots.

dicudmore
07-28-2004, 10:53 AM
I have no intention of getting in a pissing match over this but why should it matter to you how someone quits, cold turkey or with help, the point is they are quitting. I don't think it makes anyone less worthy if they had help.
absolutely right Linda

Ziggy
07-28-2004, 11:09 AM
Do it for yourself Charmi, if not for the ones around you who love you.
rrrr made a VERY good point about just setting it privately. Way to many times have I seen someone make the BOLD statement, I'm quitting, yada, yada, yada.....then fail miserably because of the pressure you've put on yourself.
Just do it and don't tell us about it---We'll all notice in time, don't worry about that part.;) :D

78Eliminator
07-28-2004, 12:17 PM
I don't consider this a pissing match at all. The point I am trying to illustrate, is that you have to commit mentally. That's my point. Nothing more to it.

mirvin
07-28-2004, 12:19 PM
Justin, don't be a terd......
I don't mean to rub it in, but did you see the pic's from last weekend. I wish you would'a made it.....;)
mirvin

78Eliminator
07-28-2004, 12:22 PM
Like Bubb Rubb's homie, "Little Sis" says "That's it and that's all!!!!"

Screaming Pete
07-28-2004, 12:28 PM
Mrs V and Jamie ...Every time you guys get the Urge to smoke just hook up for some ruff sex till it passes. Where sholder pads and knee pads also, it may take a couple of months:D :D

BarryMac
07-28-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Screaming Pete
Every time you guys get the Urge to smoke just hook up for some ruff sex till it passes. Where sholder pads and knee pads also, it may take a couple of months:D :D
That's it, wifey and I are gonna start smoking just so we can quit...:D :D
gjb

Boozer
07-28-2004, 01:22 PM
Just as a sidenote. If any of you consider the wellbutrin dealio please make sure to ask about the side effects. Like a reduced sex drive and violent mood swings. MY last g/f went on Wellbutrin to quit smoking. She quit smoking but the Well butrin really did a number on her. Changed her personality completely she went from being a nice caring person to a complete and total bitch. Also, before taking the wellbutrin she had the sex drive of a rabbit Morning, afternoon, and night. Sometimes 2 times a night. We f*cked a LOT. Once she took wellbutrin her sex drive diminshed to nothing. It went from f*ck me f*ck me f*ck me to "I just want you to hold me."
On a positive note she only took the wellbutrin for about 8 weeks and once she got off she was back to her normal horny self.

dicudmore
07-28-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Boozer
Just as a sidenote. If any of you consider the wellbutrin dealio please make sure to ask about the side effects. Like a reduced sex drive and violent mood swings. MY last g/f went on Wellbutrin to quit smoking. She quit smoking but the Well butrin really did a number on her. Changed her personality completely she went from being a nice caring person to a complete and total bitch. Also, before taking the wellbutrin she had the sex drive of a rabbit Morning, afternoon, and night. Sometimes 2 times a night. We f*cked a LOT. Once she took wellbutrin her sex drive diminshed to nothing. It went from f*ck me f*ck me f*ck me to "I just want you to hold me."
On a positive note she only took the wellbutrin for about 8 weeks and once she got off she was back to her normal horny self.
well at least there was a positive in there somewhere :D