PDA

View Full Version : Towing Questions??

100mbs
07-27-2004, 10:13 PM
I have a 20' boat on a single axle trailer. How do I know how many inches of a drop do i need to go with?
I have a 3 1/4" drop now and when going over bumpy roads the boat and trailer will tend to bounce up and down at the bow.
The boat is well tied down so it's not the boat moving.
I put a level on the tongue of the trailer up by the ball. It reads level.
Any buddy have the same problem or know of a fix?
Thanks,
Chuck..

Tyson Ross
07-27-2004, 10:18 PM
If there is anyway you can move your boat forward on the trailer that would help as it sounds like you do not have much tongue weight. Some trailers are adjustable up front where the bow rest to help this problem. Or move the axel back:eek:

welk2party
07-28-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Tyson Ross
If there is anyway you can move your boat forward on the trailer that would help as it sounds like you do not have much tongue weight. Some trailers are adjustable up front where the bow rest to help this problem. Or move the axel back:eek:
What he said. Even a couple inches can make a huge difference.

100mbs
07-28-2004, 06:49 PM
The front part of the trailer is not adjustable and the axle I dont think can be oved either.
Does haivng a lower drop hitch have any affect on it? How do you know what drop on your hitch you need to go with?

Havasu Hangin'
07-28-2004, 07:01 PM
Your trailer is made to ride level- measure the distance from the ground to the tubing in the front and rear- it should be the same.
However, first make sure you have enough tongue weight. The tongue weight should be 10-15% of your total boat and trailer weight. For example, if your rig weights 3,000lbs...you should have 300 lbs of tongue weight. Take it to a scale and measure the jackstand and wheels separately.
By moving the boat forward, it will add tongue weight...moving it back will do the opposite. If you only need a couple inches, a trailer shop should be able to re-weld the front support. Moving tha axle may be a pain.
If you have one of those bar hold-downs in front, good luck. They may keep the boat from moving front to back, but the nose always bounces around. A band-aid would be a hold-down strap in front from the boat to the frame, but it doesn't add weight...just tries to stabilize the bow.
Perhaps a trailer shop could weld a front "v pad" support (and maybe a winch).
So...
1. make sure you have the right tongue weight.
2. make sure the trailer is level.
3. strap the front, or get a winch and pad setup.

nodigg
08-02-2004, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by 100mbs
The front part of the trailer is not adjustable and the axle I dont think can be oved either.
Does haivng a lower drop hitch have any affect on it? How do you know what drop on your hitch you need to go with?
On a single axle trailer the height of the tongue does not affect the tongue weight. On a two axle it does. If you lift the tongue higher on a two axle it will get heavier and lowering it will make it lighter, (somewhat). Like everyone said, the drop you want is what it will take to make your trailer ride level.

CrazyHippy
08-02-2004, 08:17 PM
Not 100% true. But not enough of a difference to matter.
Assuming the CM (center of Mass) of the boat/ trailer combo is forward of the axle (it better be), the Tounge weight will be greatest when the tongue is lowest (bring the CM closer to horizontal from the pivot point or Axle)
The 5* swing we are talking about though will not alter figures enough to matter.
Get a drop hitch to make the trailer level.
BJH

nodigg
08-02-2004, 08:24 PM
I used to have a little open bow that I set up light on the front when it was on the trailer so I could throw the coolers and other crap in the front when towing. It don't take much with a small boat...................

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
08-02-2004, 10:42 PM
get a tandum

CrazyHippy
08-03-2004, 01:42 AM
I want to see quad axles... or quintuplets... now that's cool
BJH:rolleyes:

cc322
08-03-2004, 04:46 AM
Are you usnig your boat as a truck? meaning do you carry all your stuff, lugage in the rear of the boat as you travel, If so is it in the rear of the boat?. If it is try to spread your stuff towards the front of the boat for added weight, just a thought.

100mbs
08-03-2004, 08:08 AM
I dont usually put stuff in the in boat when going to the water. I usually put it all in the truck.
The trailer is sittign level. I hooked it up to the truck and set a level on the removable tongue that hooks up to the ball.
Now I have a removable tongue on the trailer that is made up of swaure tubing and it slips in to another square tube that is slightly larger. A large pin holds it in place.
By cutting the square removable tube down will that put more weight on the hitch or will that make the hitch lighter?