PDA

View Full Version : fuel info

flatnfast
07-28-2004, 12:27 PM
someone tells me that aviation fuel is really not good for your motor, is there a conditioner that you could put in the fuel to prevent damage, am asking because av gas is sure cheaper then race fuel, any info would be great

Rexone
07-28-2004, 12:31 PM
Search I think in gearheads, there's some good threads on av gas vs race gas etc. :)

MudPumper
07-28-2004, 04:50 PM
i believe the trick is Marvel Mystery Oil.

Boatmike
07-28-2004, 05:13 PM
MP is correct I always used AV-Gas with a half a bottle of Marvell
Mystery oil. The AV-gas runs drier than regular fuel but works well when mixed.:D :D :D

superdave013
07-28-2004, 05:59 PM
I always ran it straight up with no problems. Did it for years.
Think about it, ever hear of an airplane falling out of the sky due to bad gas?

GofastRacer
07-28-2004, 06:13 PM
If you run AvGas straight up you ad 4oz of Marvel to 10 gals, be surprised how much longer the guides lasts, keeps the throttle shafts lubricated also!..:cool:

DaveA
07-29-2004, 09:28 PM
Re: lube for the guides-
When we've run unleaded mogas (automotive gasoline) in our planes, it's always been with the caveat that we needed to run some 100 low lead avgas thru them every 25 hrs or so just so the lead can be replenished on the guides. Well, that's never a problem 'cuz we were always going somewhere, refueling with 100LL, and coming home. Even tho the designation implies that there's low lead content, I think it's really quite a bit compared to the old 80/86 octane we used to run (and preferred in our stuff), so much so that we were concerned about lead fouling on the plugs. Of course you're dealing with 200 to 470 cid air cooled engines turning under 2500 RPM for the most part.
And yes, Marvel Mystery Oil can be found in all aircraft maintenance facilities, and most every aircraft owner's hangar. Dozens of uses. See below:
I recall a little incident in a Cessna 150 that ran mogas 100% of the time. A valve stuck open at about 500 ft just after takeoff.....:mad: :mad:....with me in it. Ride'm, cowboy....