PDA

View Full Version : New old boat that has been sitting 6 years

socalmoney
07-28-2004, 01:42 PM
I just picked up an old 81 Eliminator 21' Day Cruiser with a BBF 460 and a berkley jet. It has a Competitive trailer. The boat is in pretty good shape. New heads were put on 6 years ago and made two trips to the river.
I am looking for advise as to what I should tackel to get this boat back into the water. I grew up with Fords and can turn a wrench but never worked on a boat before. I am putting a master on the trailer, doing the brakes and putting wheels and tires on it. Would love some advise as to where I can get some wheels other than the standard boring trailer wheel. Also what tire is worth buying.
Anything I need to look at with the Jet?
How hard is it to rebuild the seat boxes, redo the vinyl and lay down carpet.
Any friendly advise would be great. I am excited to join you guys on the water.
Socalmoney

79miller
07-28-2004, 01:57 PM
A bunch of tips here: Any Tips? (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53347)
Killer trailer guy in Norco - Kustom Trailers and Welding 909-947-2147. They redid my trailer from the ground up. Perfect.
Can't help you with the Upholstery, but I did use Martinez Boat Interiors in Norco also, 909-340-9171. They redid everything on my boat, very clear and great pricing.
I would have loved to do this stuff myself, but that's why my boat sat for 5 years. Too busy to get to it.....

roostwear
07-28-2004, 02:29 PM
The first thing I would do (after changing the oil) is pull the distributor, get a 5/16 deep socket with a long extension (or old distributor shaft) and spin the oil pump. Look in through the breather hole to make sure the top end is getting oil. I didn't on mine, and it seized a cam bearing when I did try to fire it. Easy to do, and cheap insurance the bearings are oiled on startup.

HotHallet
07-28-2004, 02:54 PM
so cal money- What was the guys name that you bought that from? My buddy Mark Handler had an early 80's Eliminator with a 460 that looked just like that and was wondering if it was his old boat. I haven't talked to him in a while but I know his boat had been sitting a while and when i saw your post I though maybe it was his boat and he decided to sell it. Congrats nonetheless on your new toy.

flat broke
07-28-2004, 02:55 PM
Nice looking ride. Hope you get her running soon.
Chris

socalmoney
07-28-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by HotHallet
so cal money- What was the guys name that you bought that from? My buddy Mark Handler had an early 80's Eliminator with a 460 that looked just like that and was wondering if it was his old boat.
This Eliminator belonged to my best friend's family. They bought the boat new in 81 and had many family vacations with it. My best friend Steve and I used it to take chicks to the river in our early twenties (those where the days). It was sitting on his brothers side yard in Tustin all this time. My buddy Steve is in NYC, been there since late 2000 and his brother is moving to SF. I offered to buy it from them but they said just take it and give it the love it deserves. If my buddy Steve ever moves back to Ca then I will have a partner on it to split the cost of storage and parts. I got pretty lucky on this one and hope to bring a tear to Steve's dads eye when he sees it in the water all redone after all these years.
List of stuff to do
Trailer surge master and brakes
Trailer tires and wheels
Install batt (two if possible)
Drain Gas and replace fule line
Change oil (not sure how to do this yet, do I suck it out or what)
Change all filters
Make sure all electrical is secure
Hope the motor fires
Launch and have fun
socalmoney

1978 Rogers
07-29-2004, 08:31 AM
Damn nice boat. Contrats.
I've got a drain adaptor on mine that the previous owner installed. It's a hose that is attached to the drain hole on the oil pan. I pull the end though the bildge plug on the transom adaptor. It works great. Keeps my bildg clean. I'll try and post a picture of it.

HavasuDreamin'
07-29-2004, 08:38 AM
The first thing I would do is pull the wheels off and tackle the wheel bearings. Make sure the racers are clean and not too pitted and repack them with fresh grease and new seals. This will allow you to trailer your new rig without going through too much brain damage. New wheels and tires as you mentioned are also necessary.
Nice looking boat. Good Luck.

BarryMac
07-29-2004, 08:52 AM
It looks like a great boat, looks like a little bit of TLC and a good rub down is what's in store, have a blast bringing her back to life...
gjb

Keithb87
07-29-2004, 01:06 PM
Wheels should be no problem at any tire / wheel shop. Discount, Pep Boys, Big - O or any local shop.
A lot of the trailers use a standard GM 5 lug pattern. ( I think 5 on 4 1/4) .

LakesOnly
07-29-2004, 02:27 PM
Nice looking boat; I'll be happy to answer any of your Ford 460 questions.
LO