PDA

View Full Version : rolez connection???

TOBTEK
07-28-2004, 01:49 PM
Who has the good Connection for NEW rolex's...these jewelers are hard to grind on down here.....so-cal connection please. THANKS

Jrocket
07-28-2004, 02:07 PM
Rolex? Yuck..buy a Tag.

mbrown2
07-28-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Jrocket
Rolex? Yuck..buy a Tag.
Exactly....hopefully it is for the wife:D

Havasu_Dreamin
07-28-2004, 02:09 PM
Damn expensive watches. Eff that, I'll stick to my Seiko.

Jrocket
07-28-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by mbrown2
Exactly....hopefully it is for the wife:D
I just bought the wife a new Tag and it has way better looks and style than any Rolex.The Rolex is to out dated and plain.

Boozer
07-28-2004, 02:12 PM
What's a nice tag run? $5-6K?

Mr.Havasu
07-28-2004, 02:15 PM
The watch man at the riverside hotel has one for 19.95 but you have to find it amongst the other 10,000 watches!
Good luck!:)

THATJEFFGUY
07-28-2004, 02:27 PM
I agree, Rolex's are outdated and so "blah" looking...except maybe for the Daytona. Buy a Breitling ! (http://www.breitling.com) So far my Breitlings have outshined, held up better and look alot better than any Rolex I have owned.
By the way, I'm selling my Rolex SS Daytona if anyone's interested, PM me.

riverbound
07-28-2004, 02:27 PM
buy retail, You will be much happier. The "watch guys" I have used in the past were a pain in the @$$ to deal with. With retailers you can go in and walk out same day with the watch. Plus pricing on new rolex's is pretty standard accross the board. I got mine from Frederic reubel jewlers, they were about $100 less than everyone else.
As far as rolex's being dated, I have only heard people who dont have one say that.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/681Picture_328-med.jpg

carbonmarine
07-28-2004, 02:32 PM
Rolex's are priced fixed world wide... this is one reason tehy hold value. The best thing to do is either purchase a previously owned model or purchase in a tax free or low tax zone.... Nevada, Hong Kong, New Hampshire, Shang Hai, Dubai all come to mind.
Rick32 :cool:

SoCalOffshore
07-28-2004, 02:33 PM
Tags are fine, but my Rolex is worth twice as much as I paid for it new. Not many watches increase in value. I have the gold/stainless GMT Master II. The Omega Seamaster is a great watch too.

Havasu_Dreamin
07-28-2004, 02:40 PM
What's the desire/need for a $5-$6K watch? I don't understand it. :confused:

cigarette1
07-28-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by riverbound
As far as rolex's being dated, I have only heard people who dont have one say that.
:D :D :D
Ain't that the truth ;)

cigarette1
07-28-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Havasu_Dreamin
If you have to ask ... you WON'T understand it.
:cool:

Jrocket
07-28-2004, 02:43 PM
Probably shouldnt say yuck on the Rolex's.I do like their history and resale value,just not to hip on their styling.I almost bought a Explorer II last weekend because I like the white faced back ground but just didnt like it enough.Bought the wife a Tag instead,great looking watch.
So be easy on me Rolex boys.:D

Jrocket
07-28-2004, 02:48 PM
I wouldnt say that,I think their dates and I could get one right now.The guy who I buy my stuff from thinks their dated and he has one.Dated can be a good thing when it comes to a long history of craftsmanship.They dont change the looks just for that fact of keeping a trade mark look that nobody else has.They live off of their old styleing and looks.They all have somewhat of the same look and thats what makes them unique.I might still get one,but I havent had one grow on me yet.
Oh and NO GOLD!!!

Havasu_Dreamin
07-28-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by cigarette1
If you have to ask ... you WON'T understand it.
:cool:
There really is no need to be a condescending a$$ just becasue I ask a question.

Boozer
07-28-2004, 02:49 PM
Bling Bling! It's all a matter of status.
I'm lucky. All my friends and family wear timex, so I am bling blingin in their eyes with my $400 citizen. At the time I purchased my watch I thought I should have been locked away in an insane asylum for paying that much. However, 5 years later it still works and has held its accuracy dead on.
In a couple years I'll prolly up the antie to a Rolex but for now my Citizen works fine.

Jrocket
07-28-2004, 02:50 PM
Most people buy for status...I bought mine for the looks of it.

Jrocket
07-28-2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Boozer
Bling Bling! It's all a matter of status.
I'm lucky. All my friends and family wear timex, so I am bling blingin in their eyes with my $400 citizen. At the time I purchased my watch I thought I should have been locked away in an insane asylum for paying that much. However, 5 years later it still works and has held its accuracy dead on.
In a couple years I'll prolly up the antie to a Rolex but for now my Citizen works fine.
I have had my Citizen for almost 6 years.Titanium Chronograph divers style watch.The pin in the band finally gave up and broke.Almost lost her twice in the water at Parker. :eek:

Havasu_Dreamin
07-28-2004, 02:54 PM
Most people buy for status...I bought mine for the looks of it.
Thank you for an answer. And in a non-condescending manner. I can understand, contrary to C1, why some people would do that. Would I, no I would not. Not my thing. But if people want to do it then go for it. I just didn't think/realize people paid that much attention to the watch they wear, that's all.

mbrown2
07-28-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Boozer
What's a nice tag run? $5-6K?
Sounds high....
Worldofwatches.com
Some months they have them 40-55% off....Yeah, maybe not authorized through the factory, but I have had the 2000 chrono/auto for three years without issue...
Rolex's are the best for holding their value, and I don't care where you look, they are pretty much the same price...but I am thinking they need additional styles....The stainless Daytona is the watch I would love to have, but I go back and forth between the Breitling and the Daytona's...plus there is that cost thing I need to justify....then I look at the Tag and say well, it keeps the time pretty good, and that keeps me going until I get the watch bug again...

cigarette1
07-28-2004, 02:56 PM
There really is no need to be a condescending a$$ just becasue I ask a question.
Was it just a question, or was it a concealed jab?
G

Jordy
07-28-2004, 02:56 PM
I bought mine for the looks of it.
Funny thing is, lots of the Timex/Citizen/Seiko watches all offer a jubilee style band and a fluted bezel mount, just like the Rolex...

Jrocket
07-28-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by jordanpaulk
Funny thing is, lots of the Timex/Citizen/Seiko watches all offer a jubilee style band and a fluted bezel mount, just like the Rolex...
They do,and I like them too.I like all sports and classic style watches.My collection is very small but its growing.

ROZ
07-28-2004, 03:09 PM
Rolex design is a timelss classic status symbol. THere are better made watches, but they cost more$$$$

Jrocket
07-28-2004, 03:09 PM
Tag (http://www.tagheuer.com/watches/detail.lbl?watch=CT1115.BA0551&search=s:4;F:5;T:0;C:s;)
This my latest Tag that I got.Took 3 months to get it.Was hard to find for some reason at the time.

Boozer
07-28-2004, 03:13 PM
What grade is the steel that tag uses?
The problem I have had with watches is that even when they claim to have true stainless steel it still contains enough nickel to give me a big nasty rash. 2 years ago I bought a really nice movado that the jewler had told me wouldnt give me an allergic reaction to nickel because they use some of the highest grade stainless you can get. A week later I took the watch back and demanded a refund they gave me sh*t about it so I displayed the massive rash on my wrist that was a result of the watch. My titanium Citizen has not given me any problems whatsoever.

jbtrailerjim
07-28-2004, 03:15 PM
Tobtek,
I know its not close to you but my future bother-in-law owns a jewelry store in the Montebello Towne Center Mall in Montebello. He can get new and used Rolex's. His store is called Jewelry Express. There ph# is (323)888-6044. His name is Greg. My sister also works with him and you can talk to her also. Her name is Christy. Tell them Jimmy said to call them.
As far as Tag's go. I used to want one until I asked my sisters fiance about them. He told me they are not built anywhere near as good as a Rolex. They use cheaper parts and break more often. He told me if wanted a nice but cheaper watch than a Rolex buy an Omega. Excellent watch and cheaper than a Rolex. But I think Rolex's are the shit. I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of dough on a watch.

ahhell
07-28-2004, 03:18 PM
I usually wear a timex...tells the same damn time. but for the going out watch try a tissot
http://www.tissot.ch/
mostly known overseas, but i like mine:D

Tab
07-28-2004, 03:20 PM
Call Sanat at Bhindi Jewellers in Artesia 562 402-8755. They will work with you. bhindijewellers.com

ROZ
07-28-2004, 03:22 PM
My TAG is similar to the formula 1 but has a metal bezel. It was about a grand a 7 years ago. I beat the heck out of it, and it keeps on going....
Chasedurer and Zeno Watch Bezel are the watches I'm currently looking at...

bohica
07-28-2004, 03:22 PM
When I got married, I told my wife that I thought is was BS that I had to fork out thousands of dollars on the engagement ring, then more money on the wedding band, and all she had to buy was a lousy gold band for me. Told her I wanted a Rolex. She agreed and bought me a nice gold and stainless Submariner. :D

cola
07-28-2004, 03:27 PM
Thank you for an answer. And in a non-condescending manner. I can understand, contrary to C1, why some people would do that. Would I, no I would not. Not my thing. But if people want to do it then go for it. I just didn't think/realize people paid that much attention to the watch they wear, that's all.
How about the boat they drive.
Late, Mike

Spotondl
07-28-2004, 03:29 PM
I wonder how many Rolex's there are at the bottom of Lake Havasu? Gold and the finest stainless steel don't corrode. Hmmm, now I'm thinking that there may be something worth salvaging there... nah.... It's a watch... WTF?
I HATE when I get a pea stuffed under my mattress too..... Keeps me up all night long....

beer hunter
07-28-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by SoCalOffshore
The Omega Seamaster is a great watch too.
I really liked that watch (in titanium) when I saw it in Cancun in February but was told it's not widely available in the states. :)
Omega (http://www.omega.ch/omega/co_watch?ID=18841&line=116&gen=G&sublineID=18838)

Jrocket
07-28-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by jbtrailerjim
As far as Tag's go. I used to want one until I asked my sisters fiance about them. He told me they are not built anywhere near as good as a Rolex. They use cheaper parts and break more often. He told me if wanted a nice but cheaper watch than a Rolex buy an Omega.
I take it he doesnt sell Tag's?:D

riverbound
07-28-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Spotondl
I wonder how many Rolex's there are at the bottom of Lake Havasu? Gold and the finest stainless steel don't corrode. Hmmm, now I'm thinking that there may be something worth salvaging there... nah.... It's a watch... WTF?
I know of a few people that have lost their FOLEX:D in Parker.
My arm would have to come off before my watch does.

TOBTEK
07-28-2004, 03:42 PM
Probably shouldnt say yuck on the Rolex's.I do like their history and resale value,just not to hip on their styling.I almost bought a Explorer II last weekend because I like the white faced back ground but just didnt like it enough.Bought the wife a Tag instead,great looking watch.
So be easy on me Rolex boys.:D
too funny "J"...the two rolex's I have are a white faced daytona and a Explorer II.....we have simular taste's. I also sent you a care package today...spot remover, interior cleaner and a small amount of fast spray wax......your gonna dig it!:D
And on the whole Rolex thing....."it doesn't matter what an object costs, its what it costs you while you own it" Haven't seen to many Tags go up in value. And its for a present, not me, I dont need three of them.....well maybe a titanium faced daytona would be nice;)

jbtrailerjim
07-28-2004, 03:46 PM
I take it he doesnt sell Tag's?:D
Yep, He was wearing one the last time I saw him. But he's wearing a different kind of watch everytime I see him.:D Don't get me wrong he did not say they were junk by any means. He said there a good watch but there no Rolex.

cola
07-28-2004, 03:48 PM
When my daughter got married I gave my son-in-law a Oakley Time Bomb & told him, if your going to ever be late CALL. Only advice I gave him.
Late, Mike
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1268Enlarge_one_WEB.jpg

Spotondl
07-28-2004, 03:56 PM
I know of a few people that have lost their FOLEX:D in Parker.
My arm would have to come off before my watch does.
Reminds me of the guy that rolled his BMW on the 10 Freeway really bad... The guy crawls out of his totalled BMW and starts crying alligator tears and crying "oh, my BMW, my BMW" .
Fortunately, EMS was on scene fairly quickly. When they approached the sobbing driver they were amazed that he was so concerned about his wrecked BMW....
They get his attention after some effort and tell him that he is injured pretty bad but the driver keeps balling about his crashed BMW... The paramedic says, sir, you need to calm down. Your arm has been severed and we need to stop the bleeding....
The driver looks down at his missing arm in shock and then starts yelling... My Rolex, my Rolex....:D :D :D

cdog
07-28-2004, 03:57 PM
Tag's are great watches. I own two. TAG HEUER CLASSIC 2000 Chronograph & the TAG HEUER MONACO Chronograph. I've had the Classic 2000 for four years now and the watch is still like brand new. When I bought the Monoco I had to step up to a automatic watch winder. Man winder's are expensive. I am still waiting for the day that I can afford a Rolex. I'm saving for the Daytona. Watches are similar to cars, some people are happy driving a Honda and other's need and want a Suburban. They both do the same thing, but one of the two send's a statement. Anyone who has an expensive watch that say's they paid 1k or more for it because they liked the way it look's is lying. I enjoy my watch's and am proud that I can afford to have nice thing's.

summerlove
07-28-2004, 04:00 PM
Love my TAG but will have a Roley someday.....

welk2party
07-28-2004, 04:01 PM
I love Tags and cannot wait to get one. My wife and I are eying some for our anniversary.

cdog
07-28-2004, 04:08 PM
Try this site. Great prices and they are in Socal.
http://www.authenticwatches.com

Ultra5150
07-28-2004, 04:09 PM
My wife got me my Tag a couple of years ago, by far the best watch I own. This is my next one, I love the Panerai
http://panerai.com/s_home.xpd

Jrocket
07-28-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by cdog
Anyone who has an expensive watch that say's they paid 1k or more for it because they liked the way it look's is lying.
Not true,Im not a liar and I bought this Tag because of the way it looks.
You bought your watch because its built well?

cdog
07-28-2004, 04:30 PM
Yes, But that's not the only reason. I think it's safe to say that Tag's and other expinsive watch's are a luxury item and are oviously out of reach for the normal Joe as far as affordability. Just as I prefer to have a nice car,boat and home I prefer to have a nice watch. Yes, they look bitchin and yes they are a status symbol. I'm just being honest.

Jrocket
07-28-2004, 04:39 PM
Being honest is always best,and Im being honest when I say i bought it for the looks of it not the status of it.I wear my other watches just as much as my expensive ones,mainly because their all about the same style.Divers or racing oriented styles.Not big into dress watches,no matter how much status it would give me.One of my favorite watches that ive had was a 12 yeard old Timex that had an awesome looking dial and bezel with a really relflective backing,but its made its way to the box now,broke,unfixable.Just being honset myself.

One Particular Harbor
07-28-2004, 04:41 PM
Have both an Omega Seamaster and a Rolex Submariner. Frankly, the Omega is the better watch mechanically and less expensive, but it doesn't quite have the brand name or "bling factor" of the Rolex. Couldn't recommend Omega watches more highly.
Bought both retail, so I can't help with a connection for the watch. I have heard, however, that if you know where to shop in the Caribbean, that is the place to buy a Rolex. Friends swear that the price difference has paid for their trip to the Caribbean!?!
On the subject of Titanium watches, I really like the look of some, but I hate the weight. One of the things I really appreciate about expensive watches is the weight and substance of the watch. I want to know it's on my wrist. The titanium watches just don't give me that same feel.
All the above being said, the cheapest digital keeps more accurate time than either of my two watches (mechanical...they lose a few seconds every day). ;)

Chris Winn
07-28-2004, 04:55 PM
i'm in singapore right now, and my wife and were shopping yesterday, they still have some good prices on rolexes, i prices a 2 tone daytona (all new watches) for about $8400.00 (us) the dollar is trong here (about 1.71 sing to 1.00 us dollar.
i looked at a 2 tone submarinier with a black face for $5k (you still get the 5% tax back at the airport)
there are tags, breitlings, zeniths, paneri, ventura just about anything you could want, and they all deal here 9it standard i think)
its 8:50am here on thursday for me, but i will check the board later on afetr my meetings today, find a watch with a price and model # and i would wager the price is better here....
Chris
ps- the zenith is a very good watch, and they are far underated for their value, they manufacture movments for dozens of companies out there.

Jrocket
07-28-2004, 05:03 PM
Chris,
How much are the Yacht-master's going for.Should be part shiny,part satin finish.

sam pioske
07-28-2004, 05:14 PM
Rolex ! Always worth more latter. El Presidenti model the only way to go, St Thomas island has great prices.

Havasu_Dreamin
07-28-2004, 05:44 PM
Was it just a question, or was it a concealed jab?
G
Just a question. I'm sure if you ask most people who have been on this board for as long as I have, and longer, I'm not one to cause drama.

Havasu Cig
07-28-2004, 06:13 PM
I have had a stainless Rolex GMT Master for 18 years. I have sent it back to the factory twice to be cleaned up, but other than that it has been a great watch.
I had a Rolex Date Just that was a nice watch as well. Not as heavy as a GMT or a Submariner if that is what you are looking for.
My favorite watch that I have owned was a Corum. It was made from an 18k $20 gold coin. Unique and comfortable. It was ripped off during a burglary, but I will buy another someday.:cool:

rrrr
07-28-2004, 07:06 PM
I have had a Tag for around 13-14 years, same watch. In spite of my best attempts to mess it up, it still looks good and the crystal is perfect. I have never had a problem with it.
I have never wanted a Rolex, just not my style.
But, just for grins I bought a Faux-lex from some Chinese website a couple years ago. The box and paperwork was a dead nuts copy and the sweep is pretty good, not perfect. So it's funny, sometimes I wear it when I know I will be around obvious status seekers and they say "Oh, nice Oyster. How much did you pay for it?" "Uh," sez me, "$22.00 plus $5 shipping."
Those horse people are sumthin' else.
:D :D :D

stoker
07-28-2004, 07:19 PM
Just picked up the Yachtmaster today. Nice watch.:)

Jrocket
07-28-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by stoker
Just picked up the Yachtmaster today. Nice watch.:)
Nice..Where did ya buy it from?How much are they getting for them?

SoCalOffshore
07-28-2004, 08:01 PM
When I got my private pilots license, I celebrated and purchased my Rolex GMT Master II. It could tell both regular time and Zulu time (GMT). Maybe the status and bling helped a little. :D But, how can a group of people who own over priced performance boats question an expensive watch purchase? :confused:

clownpuncher
07-28-2004, 08:08 PM
Some of the people that like 5 grand watches may ask the same of some of us.
"100 grand for a boat? I don't get it"

XTRM22
07-28-2004, 08:32 PM
Maybe the status and bling helped a little. :D But, how can a group of people who own over priced performance boats question an expensive watch purchase? :confused:
THat's a great point, I generally alternate between my Luminox (cause it's durable, cost under 300.00 and says Navy Seals on it:D) and my steel Omega Seamaster professional. I also have a 40 something year old Seamaster that my dad bought my Granddad in Switzerland, and a new 18c. gold on steel SeaMaster that I got cause I always wanted it and the price was right through a friend in the jewelry bz. I think of my Seamaster professional the same way I think about my DCB, it's afew years old, but it's still the real deal.
CHuck

mbrown2
07-28-2004, 08:36 PM
But, how can a group of people who own over priced performance boats question an expensive watch purchase? :confused:
You make a good point there:cool: :) :D

cigarette1
07-28-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by clownpuncher
Some of the people that like 5 grand watches may ask the same of some of us.
"100 grand for a boat? I don't get it"
And I'd say the samething ... If you have to ask ... you won't get it.
;)

Dr. Eagle
07-28-2004, 09:26 PM
Damn expensive watches. Eff that, I'll stick to my Seiko.
Seiko HELL! I wear a Mickey Mouse Watch... seriously!

boatnam2
07-28-2004, 10:38 PM
what about a concord mariner boys!any good?

clownpuncher
07-28-2004, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
Seiko HELL! I wear a Mickey Mouse Watch... seriously!
Can't really put my finger on why, but, for some reason i really believe that :D :D :D

castaway
07-28-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by THATJEFFGUY
I agree, Rolex's are outdated and so "blah" looking...except maybe for the Daytona. Buy a Breitling ! (http://www.breitling.com) So far my Breitlings have outshined, held up better and look alot better than any Rolex I have owned.
By the way, I'm selling my Rolex SS Daytona if anyone's interested, PM me.
Does is have a black or white face? How much??

castaway
07-28-2004, 10:56 PM
Chris,
How much are the Yacht-master's going for.Should be part shiny,part satin finish.
thats what i have... shiny stainless band, w/ satin platinum face and bezel... i just paid $7,075 out of texas... they had just had a price increase like they do every year:yuk:

Chris Winn
07-28-2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by castaway
thats what i have... shiny stainless band, w/ satin platinum face and bezel... i just paid $7,075 out of texas... they had just had a price increase like they do every year:yuk:
i looked at the all silver one yesterday (not really silver, it has a platinum bezel and face) and the price was around $6200.00 (before the 5% tax back at the airport GST)
i really like the YM, it has a different look from the rest of the sub series of watches. i'm really not a yellow gold person, so the 2 tones dont do much for me.
the best and most unuiqe watch that i saw yesterday was the ventura watch, all titanium with COSC (the expensive swiss certifacation that claims the watch is accurate within (i think) +/- 15secs per month, which is good for a mechanical watch) (that would be any watch without a quartz circut handling the time function). the ventura was really neat! they have many models, but their design is basic an will stand the test of time.
i have quite a few watches, during my time oversea's (i spend about 2 months a year in asia), i have purchased many watches. i have 3 omega's (i agree this watch is great bang for the buck) a zenith (very good but underrated) 2 rolexes (the GMT and a regular oyster pertetual) 2 paneris (SP) (these get more attention than any of my other watches)
a watch is kind of like a boat in some ways, you can start with a good lower cost (but equally functional one) then upgrade and upgrade, problem is that it is hard to go back to buy lesser watch (you have allready been there) even if you have kept all the rest (i have only traded a few, but i don't like to sell them, they each have a certain meaning or purpose). you might go back and wear the other less costly wtaches at times, but you are less likely to buy a new one of them if you have the means to purchase more costly versions (does this sound like boats???).
anyway, watches are what you make of them, as long as you can enjoy them and not regret the purchase than it was a good buy.
chris

unleashed
07-28-2004, 11:18 PM
Whats up Chris, Whens your next trip back to Havasu??
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :devil:

locogringo
07-28-2004, 11:22 PM
I didn't read all the thread but if it were me I'd want to be unique and get her something that most people wouldn't know about but know it's damn expensive at the same time... here's some of those under that classification...
Patek Phillipe
Dubey & Schaldenbrand
Breitling (the high end stuff)
Girard-Perregaux’s (the Opera Three is over $400k..D'oh!)
Ulysse Nardin
Piaget
Vacheron Constantin (my favorite)
If all else fails, then just give her a good night of sex all her way!
I actually don't even know if you were referring to a watch for a woman or not, oh well, that's what I get for not reading all of it!

Chris Winn
07-28-2004, 11:23 PM
hey dean,
i'm just sitting here in Singapore, between meetings.
i think we will be there the weekend of the 15th or so in august. if not it will be the beginning of september.
i need to get ahold of you when i get back (i arrive in la on the 8th), i'm having a suprise party for Emily the last weekend of August, and wanted to see if you are avilable.
by the way we just found out Emily is 6 weeks pregnant! i'm in deep sh*t now....
hope alls good on your end

Steamin' Rice
07-29-2004, 07:06 AM
......But, how can a group of people who own over priced performance boats question an expensive watch purchase? :confused:
I was thinking the same thing?? :D
My wife and I bought each other Rolexes as wedding gifts when we got married. These are gifts that will last for many years and we're both glad that we have them. My parents have Rolexes that are over 20 years old and still look like new.

Essex502
07-29-2004, 07:14 AM
I wouldn't buy a Rolex because their ordinary in the luxury watch market. Step up to the plate and purchase a truly great watch like a Patek. Or an Audemars Piquet. Or a Breguet. Forget the ordinary watches that any hood from Compton wears.

THATJEFFGUY
07-29-2004, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by castaway
Does is have a black or white face? How much??
SS w/White face..asking $10,500..all papers and box, only worn a few times.

rrrr
07-29-2004, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by locogringo
I didn't read all the thread but if it were me I'd want to be unique and get her something that most people wouldn't know about but know it's damn expensive at the same time... here's some of those under that classification...
Patek Phillipe
Dubey & Schaldenbrand
Breitling (the high end stuff)
Girard-Perregaux’s (the Opera Three is over $400k..D'oh!)
Ulysse Nardin
Piaget
Vacheron Constantin (my favorite)
If all else fails, then just give her a good night of sex all her way!
I actually don't even know if you were referring to a watch for a woman or not, oh well, that's what I get for not reading all of it!
I bought my wife an Baume & Mercier 18K Catwalk with the diamond bezel for Christmas a while back. I was thinking along your lines, I wanted to get her something that was out of the ordinary. Nice thing about this watch, even thought the diamonds are small, they are all exceptional stones.
I might add there are all kinds of places out there that advertise watches like this one for 60-70% off list.....but none of them are authorized dealers. I went to a reputable shop and verified they were certified by B & M, too much money at stake to get skinned.
http://images.overstock.com/f/102/3117/8h/www.overstock.com/images/products/P918596.jpg

castaway
07-29-2004, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by THATJEFFGUY
SS w/White face..asking $10,500..all papers and box, only worn a few times.
i was in italy just about a month ago and saw a ss daytona w/ black face (very hard to get) and they wanted 16,000 euros which would be about 20 grand:eek: :confused: :eek: can you f****n believe that??? we laughed at them and walked out...
like someone said before you can stumble across great deals in st. thomas... a few years ago a bunch of us were over there and we walked into a store that had a black face daytona and they wanted like $5,500 for it which was CHEAP at the time (under msrp) so we bought it on the spot... after wearing it for about 4 or 5 years its probably worth about 9-10 grand...
thats the beauty about rolex's...if you buy them right you can wear them for years and at least get your money back if not make some...

carbonmarine
07-29-2004, 08:45 AM
HOW CAN THIS LOOK DATED OR TIRED.......???? Its simply classic and take a beating. I will most definitly be giving mine to my Son someday.
http://www.rolex.com/oyster/images/professional/submariner/16610-93250.jpg

PowellScooter
07-29-2004, 11:08 AM
I have the stainless Submariner just like the picture above except the Submariner is printed in red, bought it at a pawn shop in 78 as a present for myself for 300.00 Just had it redone at Rolex factory center for 700.00 and it was appraised at 4250.00, I will hand it down to my #1 son soon and buy a 50th anniversary Submariner (green bezel) to wear and then hand down to #2 son. For my money you cant beat the Rolex. But on the water I wear my TechnoMarine chronograph (200.00)

KingCole
07-29-2004, 12:15 PM
Dated? Tired? Common? Boring? I don't think I've ever heard those words in the same sentance as Rolex befor.

Essex502
07-29-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by KingCole
Dated? Tired? Common? Boring? I don't think I've ever heard those words in the same sentance as Rolex befor.
Have you been collecting luxury watches lately? While undoubtedly Rolex makes a fine watch it isn't the finest watch, nor the most innovative watch nor the most interesting watch. It has become a misplaced status symbol.
Investigate:
Lot* 608 SFr. 6'603'500 / US$ 4,026,524 Patek Philippe, Ref. 1415HU, c. 1939. Probably unique platinum "World Time" wristwatch. WORLD RECORD for ANY WRISTWATCH.
Lot* 606 SFr. 2'918'500 / US$ 1,779,573 Patek Philippe, Ref. 130, of 1944. Rare white gold square button chronograph wristwatch. WORLD RECORD for ANY CHRONOGRAPH wristwatch.
Lot* 130 SFr. 2'753'500 / US$ 1,678,963 Patek Philippe, Ref. 1415HU, c. 1939. Rare pink gold "World Time" wristwatch with cloisonné enamel dial of 4 continents. World Record for this model.
Lot* 591 SFr. 1'477'500 / US$ 900,915 Patek Philippe, Ref. 1526, 1940s. Rare yellow gold perpetual calendar and moon phases wristwatch. World Record for this type of watch.
Lot 308,
SFr 416,000 ($317,283), a magnificent Rolex Oyster ‘Daytona’, Ref 6265, case No 6047425, with red dial and white subsidiary dials (consequently immediately renamed the ‘Spirit of Japan’ by all the collectors), chronograph seconds scale, tachometer and stainless steel Oyster bracelet. This was the first time in the world that such watches have been presented for sale.

19cobaltcd
07-29-2004, 12:49 PM
I've bought 7 Oyster Perpetual Datejust Rolex's in Italy over the last couple of years. I paid about $75.00 each. Yea, I know they are knockoff's but I could lay it out next to an identical real thing and you couldnt tell the difference. Other people I know have had theirs to jewelers that have had them opened up and still could not tell any difference. I've worn on everyday for 2 years now and it keeps perfect time. Everyone I bought is still working and keeping the time. However, when I go to Italy I wear my $30.00 Timex I've had for 5 years, the Italians cant tell the difference either and steal them all the time.

cigarette1
07-29-2004, 01:33 PM
I bought myself a S/S GMT-Master II w/ Red&Blue bezel as a gift or reward for maintaining a reasonably successful life and career(and because no one else was going to buy one for me).
Rolex is not the end all, it IS one of many fine timepieces I would like to own. I would love to have a fine gold/ white face w/ alligator band for dinner parties and other dressy events. Right now, the GMT works for me as a general purpose watch. I do put on the 18 year old TAG when working with wrenches.
Automatic watches are addicting. For other than fun, I don't see myself buying another quartz watch, there's nothing magical about them.
Believe it or not, other than a strong persona, nothing a man can do or wear says more about him than the watch on his wrist. The watch is a statement. It tells the general public that you have an appreciation for the finer things in life.
If all I needed to do was impress people, I would buy knock-offs, but when it is a gift to myself, only the real thing will do.
G

cdog
07-29-2004, 01:54 PM
I bought myself a S/S GMT-Master II w/ Red&Blue bezel as a gift or reward for maintaining a reasonably successful life and career(and because no one else was going to buy one for me).
Rolex is not the end all, it IS one of many fine timepieces I would like to own. I would love to have a fine gold/ white face w/ alligator band for dinner parties and other dressy events. Right now, the GMT works for me as a general purpose watch. I do put on the 18 year old TAG when working with wrenches.
Automatic watches are addicting. For other than fun, I don't see myself buying another quartz watch, there's nothing magical about them.
Believe it or not, other than a strong persona, nothing a man can do or wear says more about him than the watch on his wrist. The watch is a statement. It tells the general public that you have an appreciation for the finer things in life.
If all I needed to do was impress people, I would buy knock-offs, but when it is a gift to myself, only the real thing will do.
G
Well Said! Plus if you bought a knock off you'd be a poser.

cigarette1
07-29-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by cdog
Well Said! Plus if you bought a knock off you'd be a poser.
Dude ... you always got my back :cool:

NoCal NoBoat
07-29-2004, 02:34 PM
First wife gave me a Seiko for a wedding gift. Seiko lasted far longer than the marriage did.
Second wife gave me a Seiko for a wedding gift. Seiko lasted about as long as the marriage did.
Nothing against Seiko, but, recognizing a trend, I bought myself a Tag.
Life is good, and I love the watch...