PDA

View Full Version : Best Hand Held Gps?for Boat

IMPATIENT 1
12-27-2005, 08:24 AM
MY WIFE GOT ME A NEW GPS FOR CHRISTMAS.I TOLD HER THAT I NEEDED A NEW ONE THAT HAD A MAX SPEED SETTING LIKE SOME OF THE GARMIN UNIT HAVE,BUT I GOT A MAGELLAN.NO MAX SPEED SETTING!THE SPEEDO IS DEAD ON WITH MY NEW RIDE'S SPEEDO BUT IT THINK IT WOULD BE DANGEROUS TO WATCH AT TOP SPEED!WHAT'S THE BEST HAND HELD CHEAP UNIT.GOTTA RETURN THE MAGELLAN. :idea:

Taylorman
12-27-2005, 09:14 AM
This one
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/vidrinek/Boat/DCP_5621.jpg

Aluminum Squirt
12-27-2005, 09:29 AM
I started off with a hand held, a GPS12 from Garmin. 3 GPS units and many 100's of dollars later, I have a Garmin GPS V. I now have mounts on pretty much every vehicle I own and don't quite feel right w/o it. Works equally well on a bicycle, motorcycle, car, boat etc. I recommend getting a little nicer unit and a couple of mounts and power cords so you can move it around and make the installation look nice. I think you'll like it. I'm partial to Garmin and their website is nice because you can compare most of their units side by side, but I'm sure there are other brands that work just as well. Go for a full feature unit and I don't think you'll be dissappointed. Really helps with tuning, that's why they call it the lie detector. Just my $.02-Aluminum Squirt

BigBlockOldsJet
12-27-2005, 09:40 AM
This one
That's the biggest hand held GPS I have ever seen.

Hemicbx
12-27-2005, 09:45 AM
I have the bottom of the line $99 eTrex. For use in the boat it's great. Not a lot of screens to screw around with; just the basics. Instant, average, & Max speed, odometer, waypoint marking, etc. Simple, basic, and to the point. Plus, if I screw up & lose it, I'm only $99 sad.
Hemicbx

HotDogz
12-27-2005, 09:51 AM
Rhino 120
Complete trip computer(max speed, moving time, elev., moving avg. etc.), GSMR 21 channel radio,downloadable maps, and water resistant (o-ring seals), electronic compass. If communicating w/ another will show rhino in 2mi range, it will show location of other broadcasting rhino.
Rhino 120 (http://www.garmin.com/products/rino120/)

atxwrangler
12-27-2005, 10:53 AM
i would buy one that is water proof if i had it to do again,mine has been dropped and found in the bilge half full of water.don't ask me how!it is a small green ghecko 201 by garmin,it has top speed!it is still working after all it has been through.there is also the ever constant fear of dropping it in the water at the boat ramp,one that floats would be the shiznit!!!! my 2 cents!!! :cool:

IMPATIENT 1
12-27-2005, 11:00 AM
I have the bottom of the line $99 eTrex. For use in the boat it's great. Not a lot of screens to screw around with; just the basics. Instant, average, & Max speed, odometer, waypoint marking, etc. Simple, basic, and to the point. Plus, if I screw up & lose it, I'm only $99 sad.
Hemicbx
WHO MAKES THE ETREX? I WOULD LIKE TO STAY CHEAP SO LOSING IT TO WATER OR SOMETHING WON'T MATTER MUCH.THE INDASH GPS SPEEDO'S ARE TO EXPENSIVE.I LIKE EM,JUST NEED THE GENERAL PURPOSE ONE BECAUSE I TEND TO GET LOST WHEN I'M ON A UNFAMILIAR LAKE.DAMN 12OUNCE AMNESIA!!

djunkie
12-27-2005, 11:13 AM
I have the Etrex by Garmin and it works great for what I do. Plots waypoints, tells speed, max speed, etc. Cheap too. Only down fall is it has a slight delay on the speedo part. But my boat doesn't accelerate fast enough to make a difference.

IMPATIENT 1
12-27-2005, 11:19 AM
I Think I'll Take The Magellan Back And Get The Etrex. Ya Gotta Have The Max Speed Setting With A Boat! Thanks Everbody

djunkie
12-27-2005, 11:20 AM
I Think I'll Take The Magellan Back And Get The Etrex. Ya Gotta Have The Max Speed Setting With A Boat! Thanks Everbody
Ya the max speed is the best part. I rarely even look at mine while I'm driving. I've learned what speeds I'm going at what RPM's so I usually just keep my eye on my tach.

IMPATIENT 1
12-27-2005, 11:48 AM
i would buy one that is water proof if i had it to do again,mine has been dropped and found in the bilge half full of water.don't ask me how!it is a small green ghecko 201 by garmin,it has top speed!it is still working after all it has been through.there is also the ever constant fear of dropping it in the water at the boat ramp,one that floats would be the shiznit!!!! my 2 cents!!! :cool:
I JUST LEFT THE GARMIN SITE, ALOT OF THERE GPS'S DO FLOAT!IT GIVES THE MODEL NUMBERS IF YOUR INTERESTED(GARMINGPS.COM)

sanger rat
12-27-2005, 01:09 PM
Get a hold of Chuck he is a member here. I'm sure he'll hook you up. WWW.GPSWORLDSUPPLY.COM

wet77
12-27-2005, 03:28 PM
I have a garmin etrex in my daytona and it works great!
http://www.***boat.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10314&stc=1

IMPATIENT 1
12-27-2005, 03:31 PM
I have a garmin etrex in my daytona and it works great!
http://www.***boat.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10314&stc=1
alot of you guys seem to run that etrex.i've decided to take mine back and get the etrex.
wet where did you get that mount?looks pretty sturdy.

sanger rat
12-27-2005, 07:31 PM
Garmin etrex with the belt clip works good on the steering wheel. :)

77charger
12-27-2005, 07:38 PM
garmin e trex here.I have used it on my gsxr 750 from a 75 -145 mph run it caught max speed speedo indicated 160(which if you rude bikes you know they are off big at that speed and it is off 7mph at 75)
Also used in a drag boat mph was always in 2 mph of the traps and i usually hel on til just past theM.
Point is these two things accelarate fast and it kept up til last second.I also use it for ocean runs and driving in glamis i really dont care for all the fancy maps and color on new ones cause where i use it mainly there are no roads and i dont get lost.

77charger
12-27-2005, 07:40 PM
Also my brother got one of the new color mapped ones he told me he ended up only using the compass part for the screen display to get back to camp at glamis.Aslo bumped into it in almost crashing and broke it :rollside: :rollside: :220v:

77charger
12-27-2005, 07:42 PM
This one
Looks like you will pass acoast guard inspection too.LOL throw ring,noise makin device,fire ext,oar,

El Prosecutor
12-27-2005, 09:55 PM
Amazon.com has the yellow Garmin eTrex GPS on closeout for $85 with free shipping! :2purples:

olbiezer
12-27-2005, 10:16 PM
i have a little yellow etexx.......works great and has a max speed section on it.......dont confuse water proof with unsinkable lol working on my second one as first one sunk like a rock......no it sank faster then a rock!!!!!!! water color here is a lovely turd brown and vis is about 3 inches so bye bye etexx hello new one........

Moneypitt
12-27-2005, 11:10 PM
Imp 1, check your PMs..............MP

Cs19
12-27-2005, 11:28 PM
Amazon.com has the yellow Garmin eTrex GPS on closeout for $85 with free shipping! :2purples:
thats a great deal, target has the same unit for the same price as well. It does what you need.

wet77
12-28-2005, 03:01 AM
the mount is from gander mountain but it is made by ram mounts :cool:
http://www.ram-mount.com/

Red Horse
12-28-2005, 05:16 AM
Garmin GPS 72. 160 or so bucks. Made for the marine enviroment, floats, water proof. I have one and beat the hell out of it and it has never let me down after about 5 years. My Dad had a magellen and it died in a storm. Screeen went blank. Wasnt as waterproof as they advertised.

Squirtcha?
12-28-2005, 02:33 PM
Yellow etrex. Works great, cheap, runs forever on two double AA batteries, has about everything you'd need, doesn't have a bunch of stuff you don't need, easy to use, max speed memory etc. etc. Mine's dead nutz on with my truck speedo. 1 second speed refresh (which is as fast as some of the more expensive ones). I highly recommend it.

76 Sleekcraft
12-28-2005, 04:07 PM
Hemicbx
Thats why I have one like that too!
I think I got mine at Target on sale for like $ 79.95

WUTWZAT
12-28-2005, 11:46 PM
Hemicbx
I agree here totally, its water proof and cheap and easy to use and if something happens to it, only $100 at Target and easily replaced.
Jason

IMPATIENT 1
12-29-2005, 08:49 AM
SWAPPED THE MAGELEN IN FOR THE ETREX TUES. NITE AND GOT MONEY BACK! THIS ETREX IS PERFECT FOR BOATS.EASY TO USE AND LARGE DISPLAY.THANKS FOR THE ADVISE GUYS,I'M VERY HAPPY WITH THE ETREX NOW. :)