PDA

View Full Version : Paint Work and Rogers Custom Boats

Burntaco
08-03-2001, 02:50 PM
Im ready to paint my 18' Rogers Cyclone and wanted to know the best way to remove that old lacquer paint job that was sprayed over the original gelcoat. I have heard about plastic media blasting and wondered if this would be a good way to go about it. I know its used for stripping the paint off of classic cars without harming the glass or rubber gaskets. I dont want to hand sand the hull and create uneven spots or waves. Also, does anyone know if Rogers Custom Boats is still in business? I thought about bringing the boat back to them for some work. Thanks in advance.

FoMoCo
08-03-2001, 03:52 PM
When I stripped the laquer paint off my Kachina, I had to use chemical paint stripper. It took a long and I used a razer blade and puddy knife. Be carefull not to leave it on to long becaue it started to eat the original Gel coat, But I guess that why they make filler primer! Good Luck

77Spectra
08-03-2001, 05:40 PM
Sand, sand, sand. Took me 22 months but I removed the gell. You may be able to just rough sand, 600 grit, fill and prime nicks. And paint over what you have. I would spray the bottom with an epoxy primer to prevent osmossiss (check spelling). Speedcoat it while you are at it. Emron would be the best, PPG Deltron with clear 2nd, PPG Delstar with clear 2nd and a half. Use 3m premium filler bellow the waterline. It is very new and very easy to work with. You may use spot putty to fill the pin holes. Any other paint Brand stories out there?

jaqquuuz
08-04-2001, 08:58 PM
I agree with Sprectra on this one sand sand sand except id start with 180 grit ( ok 100 ) and take your time cause it seems like its never gonna end but one day your ready for primer then you get to sand sand and sand some more then you get to paint buy a good quailty paint and primer after you put on some color guess what wet sand wet sand wet sand then comes the clear throw some pearl in then spray the clear and then its time to SAND SAND SAND SAND and if your happy with what you see you get to BUFF BUFF BUFF BUFF and then your done !!!!!!

jaqquuuz
08-04-2001, 09:01 PM
Oh as far as Rogers boats Bob last I had heard he was in Arizona somewhere he might be out by Havasu somewhere not sure but he builds a great boat.

wrightnow
08-06-2001, 08:21 AM
Rogers Boats was located in Bellflower Ca. off of lakewood, until about two years ago. I heard he is no longer building boats anymore.

Burntaco
08-06-2001, 09:01 AM
Thanks for all the info guys. Too bad I cant get ahold of him. Oh well. So do you guys know anyone I can trust to do a really good paint job? I was thinking of stripping the boat down to the original gel coat and then repainting it from there because I've heard that gel coat paint jobs are really expensive. What kind of $ am I looking at?

77Spectra
08-06-2001, 06:47 PM
Gel jobs usually run $100 a foot.

jaqquuuz
08-06-2001, 07:03 PM
and thats for 1 color

Burntaco
08-07-2001, 07:37 AM
$100 a foot doesnt sound bad at all. That's only 1800 bucks then. I wanted to have it done in white and then have my friend airbrush graphics on it.

77Spectra
08-07-2001, 05:54 PM
I don't know how well of a surface gel would make for graffics. If I wanted graffics done and had the money, I would gell below the rubrail and add some stripes. The top I would match white gel and shoot with Deltron. this would be a great surface to do the art on. Two coats clear, sand, then two more and you should have no edges.

PUMP kin
08-08-2001, 04:09 PM
100 sounds great! I had my Sanger re-done in Sacramento CA and the price quotes were in the neighberhood of $5000 and that is just for the top. I also was told that it is not a gel coat that is put on (as this is only used for the original fiberglass construction)it is a polyurethane type resin. Originally posted by jaqquuuz:
and thats for 1 color

77Spectra
08-08-2001, 05:15 PM
Going rate in Dallas $100 a foot.

old rigger
08-09-2001, 09:44 AM
burntaco, yeah Roger moved to Havasu, but not 2 years ago, only about 6 months back. He sold all the molds and property and retired. The shop that painted the stripes on the hulls for Roger (in the early days), and did the cap jobs, is still in business in Bellflower Ca. B K Boat Repair . Their # is 562-925-7111. Talk to Kenny. They are really the best in So Cal but they are expensive. On the other hand, you get what you pay for.

Burntaco
08-09-2001, 10:40 AM
cool thanks guys. I'll give them a call. Its a shame that Rodgers is out of business. I would have like to meet the man that built my boat. My parents were the original owners and have reall great boating stories from back in the day. When I got the boat from them they even still had the original bill of sale, berkely jet brochures and olds 455 rocket motor pamphlet. Thanks again!

Oldsquirt
08-09-2001, 12:22 PM
Old Rigger, any idea who bought the molds?
BTW, as the owner of a 73 Tahiti 18', I really enjoyed the history lesson a couple weeks back!