PDA

View Full Version : CF Numbers and other requirments

tahitijet
07-28-2004, 10:45 PM
what is the law regarding CF numbers and placment?
Also I'm planning to go shopping this weekend for all the neccesaties for the boat. What is required by law to have? and what is a good idea to carry anyway?
Thanks

clownpuncher
07-28-2004, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by tahitijet
what is the law regarding CF numbers and placment?
Also I'm planning to go shopping this weekend for all the neccesaties for the boat.
Thanks
As far as CF number requirements, I'd email Boatcop and get the word from the horses mouth. "Course he's AZ but I'm sure he has a pretty good idea of what's up.
All the neccessary stuff? That can be a pretty large list and pretty subjective at that. I carry a full tool box, wire, fuses, a good supply of NOT required safety gear, required safety stuff and a ton of other stuff that may be construed as UN-neccessary. For me it works and gives me piece of mind. Hell, I'm surprised my boat gets over 25 mph with all I carry

tahitijet
07-28-2004, 11:12 PM
thanks I' will email him.
.. I'm more worried about the required items and those things that over time people have found to have on board... I never go anywhere without a tool box.. and I plan to carry one of those small jumper boxes as well..
As far as required itmes 1 flotation device per person? do seat cushions count if they float?
thanks

clownpuncher
07-28-2004, 11:28 PM
I'm by no means an expert. Check HERE (http://www.boatingbasicsonline.com/course/safety/4_1.php?PHPSESSID=f1723d8bb6dbfb64e8affed941cfe79d ) to get the right info

DeltaSigBoater
07-28-2004, 11:43 PM
CF #s not less than 3" in height must be affixed on each side of the forward half of the boat CONSRASTING COLOR TO BOAT. Along w/ CA "05" sticker.
1 USCG approved type I, II, III, or V PFD for every person on board along with a 1 USCG approved type IV throwable.
Visual Distress Signaling Device for both day & night time use.
Fire Extingishers one B-1 (but its always better to have 2)
Sond producing device: handheld air horn, whistle, bell, (human voice not acceptabel by federal laws)
Back Flame Arrestor on all engines manafactured after April 25th 1940
Ventilation System: all moterboats build after 1940 using gas a fuel must have at least 2 ventilator ducts for the efficent removal of explosicve or flammable fuems in bilges and enclosed compartments.
Muffeling System: noise levels @ 50 feet
82dB for engines manafactured on or after 1-1-1978
84dB for engines manafactured on or after 1-1-1976 & before 1-1-1978
86dB for engines manafactured before 1-1-1976
Navagation lights required on all boats opperating between sunset and sunrise.
Recommened Equipment: Anchor w/ chain & rode, Bailing Device (bucked or handpump), DRINKING WATER, Fenders, Dock Lines, Tool Box w/ proper tools, TOWING ROPE (not for water sports use), Paddles, handheld VHF radio, Cell Phone, Jumper Cables, Spare Parts, and Change of Clothes.

Sleek26
07-29-2004, 09:43 PM
I know what we see on the water but, LEGALLY do exposed engines have to have all the same equipment as covered engines? For example the flame arrestor?

Jordy
07-29-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Sleek26
I know what we see on the water but, LEGALLY do exposed engines have to have all the same equipment as covered engines? For example the flame arrestor?
You have to have some type of a flame arrestor if you're running a scoop facing forward, backward, I'm not sure of. You don't have to run anything if you're running a velocity stack that faces straight upwards. ;)