PDA

View Full Version : Carfax question

Fiat48
07-29-2004, 06:46 AM
Since I am looking for the wife a car, I thought about using Carfax to find history on vehicle.
I typed in the vin # and it comes back and says there are X amount of reports in the Database. Then they want $20 to tell you what those reports are.
As a little test...I entered in my Vin # for my Toyota p/u and it comes back there are 6 reports on that vehicle.
What reports could these possibly be? I bought the Toyota brand new and no dealer nor any vendor of any kind has ever touched it nor has it been in any accident.
I am wondering what these reports would be. Anybody use carfax?

572Daytona
07-29-2004, 06:50 AM
I've used it once before and it will have entries in there for the title transfer history and the mileage at each of those transfers, it will also have entries for any warranty work or major repairs that were done at dealers. I think it is money well spent if you are considering a used car. I think they also have an option to look up unlimited VIN's within a certain time period for a little bit more so if you want to see yours or are looking at several cars you might want to go that way.

EliminatorJet
07-29-2004, 06:51 AM
I just found out the same thing a couple days ago. I put in my truck that I bought new, and it came back with 3 results, but I've never had any accidents or anything.
I'm figuring it has some maintanence records on it too, since I did bring my truck to the dealer for brake work and a faulty sensor a while ago.

Fiat48
07-29-2004, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by EliminatorJet
I just found out the same thing a couple days ago. I put in my truck that I bought new, and it came back with 3 results, but I've never had any accidents or anything.
I'm figuring it has some maintanence records on it too, since I did bring my truck to the dealer for brake work and a faulty sensor a while ago.
Funny deal is..my Toyota has never been in anyones hands and yet they have 6 reports? And yours had 3.
Just wondering what reports I am buying.

sleekster
07-29-2004, 06:58 AM
yes i used it once on a older car and the same thing it came back with some reports so i bought it only to find out that it reported things like title transfer from who to who thats 2 reports their and some other trivial registration info etc. i am sure thats what your toyota has which is misleading you think your going to find out about accident or major damage and no ah ah

NorCal Gameshow
07-29-2004, 07:02 AM
if you buy a car, go to register it and there is a problem with the mileage it can be a headache...so something as simple as the mileage at service or smog on the carfax is worth the $20

dicudmore
07-29-2004, 07:06 AM
we stopped using it at the dealer here because we found info to be wrong several times.
for instance no indication of body repairs on cars we knew had been in accidents...

Starloans
07-29-2004, 07:25 AM
My GF's attorney says carfax is not a good comprehensive report. Just DMV stuff.
The GF is sueing a car dealer for selling her a car that had been wrecked before. No prob really about the wreck except the dealer that sold her the car wrote on the paperwork and signed "no accidents" Always lots of rear end noise since she had it. Well she rear ends someone on the freeway. Bent the hood, broke the lights, etc. Also a guy bumped her rear bumper at the same time. The car is at BMW and during the repair they pull the rear bumper. Shop says prior wreck, major rear damage and the frame is STILL bent. Not a result of current wreck. You could see all the bondo and bent parts under the rear bumper. The dealer that sold the car to her was not a BMW dealer. Of course this shitbag won't call us back now. All we've done so far is ask him questions. She gets an attorney and they think, without any retainer fee, they want the case. The attorney actually went to the dealer to inspect the car. Yep, been in a wreck.
He instructed her to get a CHOICE POINT report on the car. He says it's a better report. Not sure where she got it. But I can find out. I guess it's the same company the does insurance reports for homes. I think that's called CLUE.
According to the attorneys the car dealer is required to have a bond. The ones I've done financing for have a $50,000 bond to sell cars. And that was a small dealer. Maybe the big dealers would have to have a bigger bond. Bonds are like insurance in case something goes wrong and you win a judgement of some sorts against the bonded person. If the dealer doesn't have the money, and they never do, the bonding co. pays. I guess that is what the attorneys go after. And I guess if they don't maintain their bond they can have their license suspended to sell.
Well wouldn't boat dealers have to have that also????? I've seen a lot of people on here that were pissed at dealers because they didn't get their motor, or interior, or boat or whatever. This attorney seemed to be real interested in going after this guy. That's all they do is car stuff. Maybe some of you guys that are having trouble getting your money and/or boat out of some of these shaddy dealers should go after their bond....if they have one.
I've had probs with a boat dealer in the past. F*#@ him. Never again. Now I've seen the light. I buy all my boats from Dave!! :D