PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

Scream
07-29-2004, 08:44 AM
Ok, here's the scoop.
My sister and her significant other have purchased a condo in Arrowhead. They have lake rights and want a boat PRONTO. Most on that lake are pontoons, and there are some runabouts. I'm trying to convince them into getting a production deckboat, probably a Chapparal, but would like some input on these. They're not the custom hot boat types, but they are getting into boating, which is a cool deal for me.
Also, they've looked at a dealer up in the hills there, Hardin Marine Arrowhead. I bought a boat from Hardin Marine in Mira Loma (gone now) and don't know if they're connected, but does anyone have any info on these guys also.
Scream <--- lookin out for sis.

gramps
07-29-2004, 08:46 AM
are they gonna get any extra props??????

dicudmore
07-29-2004, 08:47 AM
don't know much about Hardin....
Like the idea of the family boat for the sis :D

carbonmarine
07-29-2004, 08:49 AM
In arrowhead there no where to go ? Get a pontoon, something you can fit people on comfortable and mix drinks.... hang out.:cool:

Scream
07-29-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by gramps
are they gonna get any extra props??????
Geez, you're just full of it aren't you...
Hey, how come you didn't schlep over to the lake last week y'old fart? Hell I even had a gallon of Vodka!
:D

mirvin
07-29-2004, 08:50 AM
Is this their first boat?? If so, maybe go with something cheap and easy before making the big descision to buy new;)
I bet they could find something like that already sitting on the lake up there.
mirvin

Scream
07-29-2004, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by carbonmarine
In arrowhead there no where to go ? Get a pontoon, something you can fit people on comfortable and mix drinks.... hang out.:cool:
Well, if that's the only body of water they'd be on, I'd be with ya, but I'm getting them thinking of using it on other lakes, rivers, etc. and IMO a deckboat would be a better all around fit. I might be full-o-shit (Ok, I'm usually full-o-shit) but that's my brain working away for ya.

dicudmore
07-29-2004, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by carbonmarine
I like pontoons....
Think I might take mine out this weekend :D

gramps
07-29-2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Scream
Geez, you're just full of it aren't you...
Hey, how come you didn't schlep over to the lake last week y'old fart? Hell I even had a gallon of Vodka!
:D
I REALLY tried to get over there but it was nutso around here.......
tell your sis that 'cause Arrowhead is so small she should go with a pontoon..............
are they gonna keep it there or bring it down the mountain? if they are new to the whole boat thing go with an easy maintence boat.

Scream
07-29-2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by mirvin
Is this their first boat?? If so, maybe go with something cheap and easy before making the big descision to buy new;)
I bet they could find something like that already sitting on the lake up there.
mirvin
Well, In my sisters own words "My motto is spend it like you got it". She'll spare no expense to get the best or what she considers the best. I tried talking them into a used anything and they gave me a :yuk: look. lol

superdave013
07-29-2004, 08:55 AM
Chapparal makes a nice production boat in general. I've never been on one of their deck boats but all in all they are one of the better cookie cutter builders.

Scream
07-29-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by dicudmore
I like pontoons....
Think I might take mine out this weekend :D
Don't get another ticket for noise...LOL (sorry, had to say it)
I REALLY tried to get over there but it was nutso around here.......
Oh, that's alright. We had a great piece o beach and had some fun. I think Donna's chest still hurts after going through the narrows...LOL poor girl...
Come to think of it, my boobs hurt from that too...:eek:

mirvin
07-29-2004, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Scream
Well, In my sisters own words "My motto is spend it like you got it". She'll spare no expense to get the best or what she considers the best. I tried talking them into a used anything and they gave me a :yuk: look. lol
Well if ya got it ya might as well spend it;) Maybe that will change once they see what they're payment will be.........or not:D
mirvin

gramps
07-29-2004, 08:59 AM
Well, In my sisters own words "My motto is spend it like you got it". She'll spare no expense to get the best or what she considers the best.
do they need an agent??????

dicudmore
07-29-2004, 09:02 AM
well sounds like we're talking chappy or ebbtide or some something then...
or one of
these (http://www.cheetahboatmfg.com) decks

Hustler
07-29-2004, 09:02 AM
I know a couple people that have the Chapparell deck boats and they love them, they also have 30'+ cats and they use the deck boats more:rolleyes: :D

RiverOtter
07-29-2004, 09:10 AM
Hi Scream, I have a Chaparral 230 SSI (bowrider). This interior in this boat is laid out like a deckboat. It has the Merc 350 Mag w/ BIII drive. Great boat pull hard cruised very nice and tops out at 54mph on the boat's speedo. This is the 3rd Chap I have owned. No problems with any of them except for the friggin bimini. I would not go any older than a 2000. In 2000 they to fully molded self bailing cockpit. Chap's 243 deckboat is a really nice boat and what I really wanted but could not find a used one at a good price and most of them were outfitted with that pos 5.0L Merc :yuk: . I know this is getting long. I have also owned and driven Sea Rays and Four Winns. By far the Chap out performs them. Anyway I hope this helps. If she can find a 2000 to 2003 Chaparral 243 deckboat with at least a 350Mag/BIII combo she needs to buy it.

Outnumbered
07-29-2004, 09:28 AM
I used to live in Arrowhead and had a dock on the lake. There is a 26' max on boat size and a 35mph speed limit that is radar enforced. Noise laws are also enforced with db meters. A deck boat or pontoon would be good, but I would go deck boat. The midweek skiing/boarding is the shiznit and I would recommend a boat that can pull a skier or boarder. FYI, tubing and lake lice are not allowed on the lake.
As for Hardin Marine at the dam, it is owned by Barry Lieberman. He seems like a cool guy but I don't know any good or bad things about his business. All I can say is that it is such a small town that if you screw someone everyone will hear about it so I would say he should be a safe bet. I believe he owned/owns the Hardin Marine Arrowhead store that is off the 15 and 91. I don't know if it is still there.
OL

My Man's Sportin' Wood
07-29-2004, 09:46 AM
Jeff's dad was the marina manager for several years. He worked for Hardin in Newport Beach and then moved up there to run the marina that they lease. He had two heart attacks three years ago and his doctor told him he needed to work less hours (7 days a week was too much:confused: ) so when he told his boss he needed to take a couple of days off a week, they fired him. Nice people. The lake is really nice though and big enough to ski on. Lots of celebrities up there.
BTW, Hardin sells Sea Rays. One step up from a bayliner. They do have a nice deck boat that will pull a skiier though.

Debbolas
07-29-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Mrs. Sportin' Wood
BTW, Hardin sells Sea Rays. One step up from a bayliner. They do have a nice deck boat that will pull a skiier though.
Ouch! We use to have a Sea Ray......
Debbolas<----------wondering why her husband needs advice...lol:D

BigDogIvan
07-29-2004, 11:59 AM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Mrs. Sportin' Wood
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUOTE]Originally posted by Debbolas
Ouch! We use to have a Sea Ray......
Debbolas<----------wondering why her husband needs advice...lol:D [/QUOTE]
OUCH!!! I would'n even put a Bay_liner anywhere near my Searay.!!! Anyone that would even try to compare a Bay-liner with any other boat has not done there homework. I'm on my second Searay and totaly love it. Its a '99 210 Sundeck and have had no problems. Lots of room and runs great. Dealer has been very nice and easy to work with. Yea its not a "custom " boat but it is reliable and gets us on the water.
BD

Todd969
07-29-2004, 12:01 PM
Take a look at the Crownline 212 deck, my mom loves hers and I gotta admit that for a production boat it's very nice qaulity. She's run it at Havasu,perris, piru, castaic etc... Loves it.... Berts gave her a screaming deal and it's never had a problem.

19cobaltcd
07-29-2004, 01:02 PM
If she likes the best but wants production, look at the new 240SD from Cobalt. IMO it is one sweet looking boat. My Cobalt is 25 years old and still solid as a rock.
http://www.cobaltboats.com/model_line/240sd/index.html
Hopefully the link will work.

dicudmore
07-29-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by BigDogIvan
OUCH!!! I would'n even put a Bay_liner anywhere near my Searay.!!! Anyone that would even try to compare a Bay-liner with any other boat has not done there homework. I'm on my second Searay and totaly love it. Its a '99 210 Sundeck and have had no problems. Lots of room and runs great. Dealer has been very nice and easy to work with. Yea its not a "custom " boat but it is reliable and gets us on the water.
BD [/B]
BD I'm sure that reference was made in jest....
Mrs SW knows her way around a boat...
Sea-Ray builds great family production boats. They are certainly not on the same level model for model.

RiverOtter
07-29-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by 19cobaltcd
If she likes the best but wants production, look at the new 240SD from Cobalt. IMO it is one sweet looking boat. My Cobalt is 25 years old and still solid as a rock.
http://www.cobaltboats.com/model_line/240sd/index.html
Hopefully the link will work.
24' Cobalt = $60,000 (no doubt the best but jeeze)
24' Chap = $45,000