PDA

View Full Version : Question for Republicans

totenhosen
07-29-2004, 08:52 AM
I know this site has some hardcore Republicans. I consider myself more a moderate. Some things I'm conservative (Ex illegal immigration and taxes) while others I'm liberal (abortion for one)
I just want to know what your views on stem cell research are. Do you think it's bad or ??? Personally I think we have the best medical researchers in all the world and I'd like to see us as a country be at the forefront of it.
(I'll leave the abortion issue and weed issues alone because those are seperate threads/issues.)

mirvin
07-29-2004, 08:56 AM
The problem is that the stem cel and abortion issues are directly linked.......
I'm all for stem cel research and I don't care where they get em from either, which obviously puts me into the "conservatives for abortion rights" group;)
mirvin;)

Scream
07-29-2004, 08:59 AM
Not all stem cells are derived from abortions, from what I remember reading. I seem to remember that stem cells can be gleaned from umbilical cords as well. If that truely is the case, I agree that we should be at the forfront of research into this technology. If the fact is that a fetus needs to be "discarded" like yesterday's loaded pampers then screw it, IMO.

Dr. Eagle
07-29-2004, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by mirvin
The problem is that the stem cel and abortion issues are directly linked.......
I'm all for stem cel research and I don't care where they get em from either, which obviously puts me into the "conservatives for abortion rights" group;)
mirvin;)
That'd be a ditto for me... So much we can learn from this research that will benefit the entire species... but that's Cell!

OGShocker
07-29-2004, 09:11 AM
I don't care where they get the cells. I do care who pays for it. I don't want our tax dollars going to fund the research. I feel the same way about abortion when used as birth control. My .02

Dr. Eagle
07-29-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by OGShocker
I don't care where they get the cells. I do care who pays for it. I don't want our tax dollars going to fund the research. I feel the same way about abortion when used as birth control. My .02
Love that Avatar. I am like you, one that has disdain for government in general. I would consider myself a libertarian. I don't care what research is done or where they get the cells either... but I don't think the government should fund it either. That is the real question it seems. Who is paying for the research. If the government beauracracies pay... then we all pay.

OutCole'd
07-29-2004, 09:14 AM
Should our Government fund the reserch to find a cure for Cancer?

mirvin
07-29-2004, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Scream
Not all stem cells are derived from abortions, from what I remember reading. I seem to remember that stem cells can be gleaned from umbilical cords as well. If that truely is the case, I agree that we should be at the forfront of research into this technology. If the fact is that a fetus needs to be "discarded" like yesterday's loaded pampers then screw it, IMO.
I was under the understanding that the "primo" stems cels are in the fetus and that the ones in the umbilical cord aren't quite the same, in scientific terms.
If you don't believe in abortion (rights) then I can see how that will get in the way of the stem cel issue.
mirvin

OGShocker
07-29-2004, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
Love that Avatar.
I like our matching Sig' line!:D

OGShocker
07-29-2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by OutCole'd
No, I do not believe that is the job of Government.
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Promote the general Welfare may fit but, I do not see it.

Havasu_Dreamin
07-29-2004, 09:21 AM
As everyone else on this thread, I'm a registered republican. I'm for the research, and I don't care where they get the cells for the reserch. I also have no problem with the governement funding the research since it will lead to a cure for a disease. I, like Outcoled, don;t see how the governement can fund research for one disease but not another. They both are diseases and if a cure can be found, then do what we can to find it. I rather have my tax dollars going to that then to other social programs. I also agree that abortion should not be used as birth control, but I support a womans right to choose as the Supreme Court has said it is legal. Until the USSC changes the law, why does it even get discussed?

Wally_Gator
07-29-2004, 09:23 AM
Stem cell research is good, Especially if the stem cells are derrived from the cord blood.
Cord Blood stem cells are harvested after live birth and are taken from the cord and placenta (afterbirth).
If the only reason to not support stem cell research has to do with embryo's, above is a way to not involve embryo's.

carbonmarine
07-29-2004, 09:26 AM
They are talking about harvesting cultures of preformed fetuses. They think if it doesn't look like a baby in a human form, than its not a human ...
The core issue here is support for abortion and only for abortion sake. More imporatntly what we are talking about here are MORES & VALUES that we as a SOCIETY must uphold togther by law.
Again, the central pilar subject here is of abortaion itself not the splinter subject of Stem Cell Research. The interest groups of SCR are NOW and other feminist interest groups. Outside of that there are Eductational Institutions that relay on Federal Funding and for that matter SCR would be just another revenue stream for free funding in an only emerging technological area...
Back to Society. What we may value, others in our world community may not subscribe to. Stem Cell Research is not outlawed in the USA, just Federal Funding of it is at present....
Take for instance the Howard Hughes Medical Institute (www.hhmi.org ) ...They are the largest most highly focused
and funded grouping of medical superstars in the world.!!!
They are doing their own research this area as are Countries
like China, Pakistan, India and other technical countries are making strong headway.....
Again, It goes back to values that we as a society honor.
I suppose I coudl go on, but thuat would make this post LONG......... Hope this offers some insight...
Rick32:cool:

Wally_Gator
07-29-2004, 09:27 AM
I was under the understanding that the "primo" stems cels are in the fetus and that the ones in the umbilical cord aren't quite the same, in scientific terms.
If you don't believe in abortion (rights) then I can see how that will get in the way of the stem cel issue.
mirvin
The stem cells in the babys blood travel through the umbilical cord and into the placenta. These are the same ones that would be in the body. I think it may have to do with actual counts.
Young fetuses may have a higher concentration of stem cells versus a term baby.

mirvin
07-29-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Havasu_Dreamin
I also agree that abortion should not be used as birth control, but I support a womans right to choose as the Supreme Court has said it is legal. Until the USSC changes the law, why does it even get discussed?
Because it's an issue that transcends all sectors of social and political arena's.;)

My Man's Sportin' Wood
07-29-2004, 09:32 AM
I took a human reproduction biology class a couple of semesters ago and I was suprised when my biology professor told us that stem cells are also located in umbilical cords. He has worked with two separate nobel prize winning groups. He told us that when they cut research, they are cutting it for all stem cells, not just embryonic. From what I remember, they are almost like blank cells and can be manipulated very easily. I say do the research--religion and science don't mix. We have the technology, lets cure some of these horrible diseases like Alzhiemers, aids, Parkinsons, Lou Gehrigs, etc.
I am also a registered republican for abortion rights. I don't believe that someone should be able to have one at 6 or 7 months, and I think that the father has a right to say no if he's willing to raise it on is own, I don't think 14 year olds should be able to get them without parental consent, but I think they should be available.

Wally_Gator
07-29-2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by carbonmarine
The core issue here is support for abortion and only for abortion sake. More imporatntly what we are talking about here are MORES & VALUES that we as a SOCIETY must uphold togther by law.
Rick32:cool:
The question was posted as stem cell research without the abortion issue.
There are those that think because stem cell research is funded, it will automatically support abortion. There are those that say that there are other methods of gaining stem cells. Additionally there is a way of growing new stem cells from existing ones in the lab.
I for one used to be pro choice. That was until I saw my daughter on the ultrasound and her movements. Now I think I am against abortion to a degree..
But then how can I dictate what a woman does with her body..

My Man's Sportin' Wood
07-29-2004, 09:38 AM
Because it's an issue that transcends all sectors of social and political arena's.;)
That's why the GOP should get it off their platform and quit talking about it at the convention! Drives me crazy!!!!:mad:
It's not a democrat/republican issue, it's a social issue. Jeff's grandparents are staunch FDR democrats and they picket women's clinics (you should hear some of the arguments on holidays:D ) It has nothing to do with political affiliation IMO, except when it comes to states' rights and who pays for it.

Wally_Gator
07-29-2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Mrs. Sportin' Wood
I took a human reproduction biology class a couple of semesters ago and I was suprised when my biology professor told us that stem cells are also located in umbilical cords. He has worked with two separate nobel prize winning groups. He told us that when they cut research, they are cutting it for all stem cells, not just embryonic. From what I remember, they are almost like blank cells and can be manipulated very easily. I say do the research--religion and science don't mix. We have the technology, lets cure some of these horrible diseases like Alzhiemers, aids, Parkinsons, Lou Gehrigs, etc.
The abreviated skinny on stem cells....
Stem cells are cells that can change into any type of cell in the body. They can become Nerve, muscle, liver, kidney, skin and blood cells. The biggest benefit seen so far has been for leukemia patients. Stem cells are introduced into the bloodstream
after the patients immune system is killed off. The new stem cells graft and become a new immune system for the patient. Everyone has heard of bome marrow transplants.. Bone marrow contains stem cells. This is the reason fro harvesting bone marrow. Yet bone marrow has very few stem cells compared to cord blood.
New research suggests that stem cells have cured one Multiple Sclerossis patient. It is a promising technology for both cancer patients and verious brain diseases.

Havasu_Dreamin
07-29-2004, 09:41 AM
Ok, here's a good question for those of us that are registered republicans, how do you feel about the religious right? I think I know the answer to this question but I'm asking it trying to see if there is some way the party could ever be swayed away from their grip? I'm a republican because more of my beliefs align with their party. That's not to say I'm not liberal on some things, abortion as an example, but I do not identify any way with the religious right tighty whitey as Dr. E put it. I'm sure ther are plenty of democrats that don't align themselves with the dumbocrats and liberals as well.

mirvin
07-29-2004, 09:46 AM
"The religious right is neither"!! I saw that on a bumper sticker......
I think they have become a lobbying group. It's sad. They've got these issues that pertain strictly to Religion and they manifest that into their politics and now here we are being labeled based on their ideals.......;)
I might be a Republican out of necessity more then choice. I mean to say that I disagree with the Dems MORE then I agree with the Reps:D
mirvin

carbonmarine
07-29-2004, 09:49 AM
Gator, the best candidates for research are in fact fetus cells.
This is not arguable at this stage in the research. This is where the debate is and where the supporters of abortion have focused - because with such a "good thing and so much promise" how could we turn our backs on the sick " ...
So. Until scientists can yield or harvest sufficient amounts of good candidates from other places, sources ... I dont believe it should be federally funded...
Rick32

THOR
07-29-2004, 09:51 AM
Hell yes it should.

OGShocker
07-29-2004, 09:53 AM
I have never been one for blind extremism. However, when extremist on both sides of an issue meet and rant at each other a more moderate consensis might be reached. The Jerry Falwell's and Larry Flynt's of the World only provide a balancing weight at the end of life's lever. IMHO.

welk2party
07-29-2004, 09:55 AM
NO! Government sucks at most things. Politics should be far removed from something so critical. Greed is a motivating factor for private industry. Neither are probably the best reason, but I think we would be better off with private industry.

Delta Jets
07-29-2004, 09:59 AM
My problem is save the whales save the trees save the oil be tolerant of any and everything but what i believe in . Protect murders, rapist dont attack after we have been attacked!
BUT KILL BABIES FOR REALY BIRTH CONTROL AND JUSTIFY IT IN THE NAME OF RESEARCH WHEN THE BOTTOM LINE IS SOONER OR LATER WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE and all you really have is the choice of heaven or hell and that is each individuals choice
Just a couple of things i have noticed wrong with the liberal picture

Ducatista
07-29-2004, 10:02 AM
As everyone else on this thread, I'm a registered republican. I'm for the research, and I don't care where they get the cells for the reserch. I also have no problem with the governement funding the research since it will lead to a cure for a disease. I, like Outcoled, don;t see how the governement can fund research for one disease but not another. They both are diseases and if a cure can be found, then do what we can to find it. I rather have my tax dollars going to that then to other social programs. I also agree that abortion should not be used as birth control, but I support a womans right to choose as the Supreme Court has said it is legal. Until the USSC changes the law, why does it even get discussed?
I agree with you're thoughts here H_D. What scares me is that the USSC could change the law, even though it could be against the "will of the people."
I personally think the Republican party is off base with their position on abortion and stem cell research. A womens right to choose should not be infringed, and the potential for stem cell research is too great, not to pursue IMO.

Wally_Gator
07-29-2004, 10:02 AM
Carbon,
Having a wife that has a long history of cancer. We chose to harvest the stem cells from our daughters cord blood.
Having done the research, talked with a couple of familes who have benefited from treatment, I disagree.
There si the moral issue of how to get the stem cells.
One source is the fetus or embryo.
There are other sources. The issue is not quality but quantity.
Ban the use of embryos and source from other non morraly offensive sources.

carbonmarine
07-29-2004, 10:05 AM
did you see the words : harvest and yield.?

rivercrazy
07-29-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Ducatista
I agree with you're thoughts here H_D. What scares me is that the USSC could change the law, even though it could be against the "will of the people."
I personally think the Republican party is off base with their position on abortion and stem cell research. A womens right to choose should not be infringed, and the potential for stem cell research is too great, not to pursue IMO.
I also ditto HD's thoughts there. I'm registered Republican and believe in the general economic policies. But keep religion and the religious right out of the government....

Wally_Gator
07-29-2004, 10:16 AM
Carbon,
Between the two statements it can be seen as a contradiction.
Gator, the best candidates for research are in fact fetus cells.
And
[/B]
Candidates would suggest that the cells are somehow better than the ones derrived from cord blood.
My point is they are the same. I am now understanding that you agree.
Yet from my daughters cord blood. There was enough yeild to supply her with 3 potential transfusions. God forbid she should never need them.
So my point is, there are many more babies being born than there are fetuses being aborted. There has to be a moral was here somewhere.

HCS
07-29-2004, 10:32 AM
Medically, I think we should do everything posible to come up with
cures.
Enviroment, Were are here to consume this planet. That's why were here.
Politically, We need to have another Boston Tea Party. I'm registered
Republican because that's the better of the two evils.
Abortion, Is a womens right to choose.
Religiously, I'm Catholic because my family is and that's how I was
brought up. I believe in God.

Tremor Therapy
07-29-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
I also ditto HD's thoughts there. I'm registered Republican and believe in the general economic policies. But keep religion and the religious right out of the government....
I agree with those sentiments as well. I am a registered democrat, but have not consistently voted that way for 20 years. I guess in the end what I am is a moderate. I personally do not believe in abortion, but I also do not believe I have the right to control a woman's choice. I believe that if we have the technology available to cure these horrible debilitating diseases, we should carry on. But I believe using embryo's for the research is not right.
Now having the government in charge of medical research? That seems off, but helping to fund dynamic research centers that are at the forefront of fighting these diseases....you bet! Stop giving our tax dollars away to the rest of the world and put it to good use here! :D

OutCole'd
07-29-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by THOR
Hell yes it should.
Thor, you know I agree with you on this I hope.

eliminatedsprinter
07-29-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by totenhosen
I know this site has some hardcore Republicans. I consider myself more a moderate. Some things I'm conservative (Ex illegal immigration and taxes) while others I'm liberal (abortion for one)
I just want to know what your views on stem cell research are. Do you think it's bad or ??? Personally I think we have the best medical researchers in all the world and I'd like to see us as a country be at the forefront of it.
(I'll leave the abortion issue and weed issues alone because those are seperate threads/issues.)
A. I think it is primarily an issue for the AMA and outher scientific ethics committies.
B. Stem cell reasearch is not banned like the Dems would like us to think just federal funding for some types.
C. It is the job of the legislature and the executive branch to determine what gets funded with our tax dollars.
D. Yes it goes agianst some peoples strict regious beliefs to tamper with any neonatal cells. But then again, Christian Scientists would not support any medical reasearch. Do we let them dictate medical funding policy?
I think the AMA and other physiological science organization's ethics commeties should draft a proposal for funding and the government should respond accordingly as the budget allows. However, niether party has a very good track record when it comes to letting those who actually know something about a subject or an issue influence their positions. Just look at the Dem's policy on global warming, they seem to be listening to everyone but the climatologists. Neither party seems to listen much to biologists or wildlife management experts when they make their evironmental policies either.

Dave C
07-29-2004, 12:54 PM
if stem cell research can find the cure for cancer or MS.... you can be damn sure that private companies will find it.
Consider how much money is at stake for the company that finds the cure. That would result in huge profits for them.
the government could not find their ass if you gave them directions.

Schiada76
07-29-2004, 01:00 PM
I support stem cell research from aborted illeagal aliens!:D :eek: :eek:

HCS
07-29-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by BradP
I support stem cell research from aborted illeagal aliens!:D :eek: :eek:
No controversy in that comment.:D

OGShocker
07-29-2004, 01:09 PM
Interesting.
Canadian Stem Cell Expert Speaks Out on Adult vs. Embryo Stem Cell Research
Says "embryonic stem cells have yet to be used to treat any form of disease"
TORONTO, November 20, 2003 (LifeSiteNews.com) - Dr. Peter Hollands, who holds a PhD in Stem Cell Biology from Cambridge University in the UK has spoken out on the controversy over adult and embryonic stem cells. In comments to LifeSiteNews.com, Dr. Hollands, who has worked with embryonic stem cells, noted the often overlooked fact that while adult and cord blood stem cells have been widely used for treatments, "embryonic stem cells have yet to be used to treat any form of disease."
Dr. Hollands, who worked as a clinical embryologist at Bourn Hall Clinic - the world's first IVF unit, says that "common sense" dictates that resources be directed toward adult over embryonic stem cell research. "Embryonic stem cells have many legal, moral, ethical and religious objections before even the practicalities of obtaining the cells, growing them, storing them and not least transplanting them are addressed," Dr. Hollands told LifeSiteNews.com. "Adult and umbilical cord blood stem cells are readily available, have no objections associated with them and are tried and tested in clinical use. Umbilical cord blood stem cells, for example, have been used over 3000 times for 45 different diseases!"
With numerous publications to his credit on the subject of stem cells and clinical embryology, Dr. Hollands takes issue with certain other researchers in the field who suggest that embryonic stem cells 'may work better'. A recent finding that adult stem cells can be used to repair muscle tissue, saw one of the researchers involved in the study, UBC's Dr. Fabio Rossi, said that "proposing (adult stem cells) as an alternative to embryonic cells, which may work better, is not the right thing to do." Commenting on Dr. Rossi's statement, Dr. Hollands said, "Why may they work better? We do not even know if they (embryonic stem cells) will work at all! The public must know that adult and umbilical cord blood stem cells are available, proven and ready to use for a range of diseases. We must get away from this idea of the promise of embryonic stem cells and look at the realities of adult and umbilical cord blood stem cells."
Dr. Hollands, who is currently the Scientific Director of Cells for Life, a private cord blood bank in Markham Ontario, also disagreed with those who contend there is a great need to continue study of embryonic stem cells. "We should focus our attention on the most readily available and usable type of cells and these are adult and umbilical cord stem cells. Embryonic stem cells at present are largely political rhetoric and scientific hype. Adult and umbilical cord blood stem cells are proven and ready to use. The public
needs to know this," he said.
See the Cells for Life website at:
http://www.cellsforlife.com
I am going to to the RIVER now.

HCS
07-29-2004, 01:15 PM
I am going to to the RIVER now. [/B]
After lighting up the key board like that I don't blame ya.:D
I would if I could.:cool:

summerlove
07-29-2004, 01:56 PM
Ok, here's a good question for those of us that are registered republicans, how do you feel about the religious right? I think I know the answer to this question but I'm asking it trying to see if there is some way the party could ever be swayed away from their grip? I'm a republican because more of my beliefs align with their party. That's not to say I'm not liberal on some things, abortion as an example, but I do not identify any way with the religious right tighty whitey as Dr. E put it. I'm sure ther are plenty of democrats that don't align themselves with the dumbocrats and liberals as well.
well said.