PDA

View Full Version : silencers self made????

browning 302
07-29-2004, 05:23 PM
Hello guys, are there guys who have some idees ore planes for making silencers for an 3 inch tru transom hull exhaust
I have an ford 302 whit open exhaust and it is a little to loud for the channels here.

bighead
08-02-2004, 01:28 PM
Although this did not really silence it certainly toned the sound down quite a lot and gave the boat a very unique sound, basically what I did was got some 4" exhaust hose, the same stuff used for couplers in the boat. I clamped a 3' long chunk over the thru transom tips and then clamped a 4" 90 degree exhaust pipe to that in effect turning all of the sound directly to the water, I ran the outlet about 3" above the bottom of the hull, painted a off white they do not look bad at all and work great.

mike37
08-02-2004, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by bighead
Although this did not really silence it certainly toned the sound down quite a lot and gave the boat a very unique sound, basically what I did was got some 4" exhaust hose, the same stuff used for couplers in the boat. I clamped a 3' long chunk over the thru transom tips and then clamped a 4" 90 degree exhaust pipe to that in effect turning all of the sound directly to the water, I ran the outlet about 3" above the bottom of the hull, painted a off white they do not look bad at all and work great.
that pritty geto

SB
08-03-2004, 12:57 PM
I did the same thing with PVC. It looks terrible on the trailer, not really that noticeable on the water. You could do the same by cutting a valve cover in half and putting it over the exhaust, it would redirect flow downwards.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
08-03-2004, 01:07 PM
Bolt some turbo mufflers on dat biatch. Auto zone sells them for $35 each. make sure to get the stainless ones for marine use. your local meineke should be able to weld them to your thru hull tips
Omega

powerplay230
08-03-2004, 03:47 PM
How much difference do the slip in water baffles make, if that's what they are called?
Rick

blackdragster
08-03-2004, 05:52 PM
What I have done with my OT headers is buy a glass pack muffler, cut it in halve and install it cut side in. I know it sounds crude but it works well.