PDA

View Full Version : Need a new Optima batt check this place

Jake W
07-30-2004, 02:28 PM
I was calling around for a Optima and they wanted any where from 178 to 235 for a blue top Optima(Marine).
I checked on the net and found this place[URL=http://www.tna-sports.com] and got one for 125 shipped they do not charge for sipping in the US.
They sent me two confermations and sent the tracking number the next day.And I recived it when they said it would be hear.
I DO NOT KNOE THIS PERSON OR COMP I just wanter to pass along the good deal.
Jake

riverbound
07-30-2004, 02:36 PM
Make sure you are comparing apples to apples when shoppping around for optimas. Thereare different levels of "blue" "yellow" top optimas.Some are not deep cycle some have less cca. Trust me there is not that much of a mark up on these things, we amke more on the $99 billet holders than we do on the $199 batt.

Jake W
07-30-2004, 02:44 PM
Well check the link.
The one I have is Marine Deep cycle
Part number is SC34DM
MCA 870
AH 55
CCA 650
RC 120
And they sell the bigger Marine one for like 145 or something.
This is the Blue top that fits the EddieMarine Rex Marine ect Optima battries.
Jake

jimthetoolman
07-30-2004, 03:02 PM
If I am not mistaken Cosco sells them for the same amount

Jake W
07-30-2004, 03:37 PM
Jim are we talking apples to apples ?
Like I said I called around and the prices were very high compared to what I paid.
They sell 3 diffrent types of them check out the link go to cosco and get the numbers I posted up and if they are the same by all means go there. I do not have a member ship to cosco so I clicked some buttoms and it came to my door.
One agine I do not have any thing to do with this comp.
Jake

Jake W
07-30-2004, 08:42 PM
OK I have some things to add.
Some one has PMed me on deep cycle battries and said they choose not to use tyem in favor of a normal car type batt and says they do not like to go under 1000 cranking amps.
The batt I bought has 870 cranking amps and only one other Optima Marine batt has more it has like 1010 (witch does not fit the Eddie or Rex type boxes),and it is a deep cycle meaning you can use your accressories for along time as to where a car type batt would die rather quick.Even the most a red top puts out is 910 cranking amps.And the yellow is even less with like 780 or something like that.
So hears the question what type do you use and why?
I have been using a Deep cycle marine Duralast from Autozone It only had 685 cranking amps and I never had a problem with it it started the 460 FORD fine and ran the MSD with no problem.
But then agine I was not turning over a high cop blower motor either.
What do you guys think?
Also they do sell the Red and yellow and orange tops too.
Jake

jimthetoolman
07-31-2004, 05:25 PM
Jake: My battery is the same as the one your talking about.
model 2854 mca870 cca750 ah55 and rc120 I paid $142.39 at costco. I thought that was a great deal. But if your not in a hurry your deal is even better, you don't even have to leave your house.

Ken F
07-31-2004, 06:20 PM
Jake,
I just had my Red-top take a shit last weekend. Duane had purchased it from Interstate batteries in Wichita. I called the Interstate dealer here in Spfld, and he said no problem just bring it out.
He tested the battery, and sure enough it would go bad immeadiatly when put under a load. I got to questioning him about Optima battries, and he finally smiled and said "since you are asking, I"ll tell you." He said he wouldn't OWN a red-top, because they have a little over 40% failure rate. I said that's not good as I don't want to get stranded out in the middle of the lake again. He said then go with a yellow-top. In 17 years in the business he's never seen one go bad.
Then he said let me show you something.
He grabbed my new yellow-top and walked over to the load-tester, and hooked it up. He showed me where it was rated at only 780 cranking amps, less than the red-top, but said watch this. He then cranked the load tester up to 1350 and held it for about 60 seconds. Needle never moved.
Anyway...for what that's worth.
Ken F

GlastronGuy
07-31-2004, 06:33 PM
I have run a yellow top for 5 years with no problem. We spend alot of time with the motor off, listening to music. 2 @ 6", 2 @ 6X9, 10" sub and an amp.

Cas
07-31-2004, 07:32 PM
My first red top went bad within about 5 months. It's replacement has now lasted 2 years but if it sits for more than 2 weeks, I need to recharge it. I'm guessing it's the begining of the end of this one too.

likeFATHERlikeSON3
07-31-2004, 10:55 PM
I had a yellow top in my boat when i bought it. It took a shit the first trip i had it up. Bought another yellow top and it's worked for two years.
I heard that deep cycle batt. dont like to have a constent charge on them from the alternator. I dont have any radio or anything so i think i might go to a reg. car batt. next time.
any one else hear the same thing?

Ken F
08-01-2004, 02:17 AM
Yes, I had that problem with a deep cycle in the Omega. Would not stay charged.
Took it back, and they traded me for a refgular car type, and told me exactly that. They need to be slow charged, not hot charged from the alternator
Ken F

socalmoney
08-03-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Jake W
Well check the link.
The one I have is Marine Deep cycle
Part number is SC34DM
MCA 870
AH 55
CCA 650
RC 120
Jake
Jake, can you post the link to the exact Batt you purchased, I don't see part numbers on the TNA site and the Batt you seam to be talking about looks like it is $146.95?
Thanks
socalmoney
PS can you run these in a dual batt setup. Should it be parallel or on a switch independent from each other.

Jake W
08-03-2004, 02:57 PM
If you look on th site threr is 3 diffrent Marine Blue tops mine is the one with the black bottom.
For your other questions look an the site and there is a place you can bring up that answers questions com asked.It covers your question on there.
Jake

rivercrazy
08-03-2004, 03:17 PM
Dark grey case = starting
light grey case = deep cycle
Starting battery is quite a bit less money than the deep cycle:D

Jake W
08-03-2004, 03:23 PM
It is kind of crazy how mine says Deep cycle on it hmmmm
Jake

dtr352
08-03-2004, 03:44 PM
Went to costco yesturday and saw the blue top deep cycle for $110 plus tax. Sounds like a great deal since I payed $160 for a red top three months ago.

Jake W
08-03-2004, 04:54 PM
COSTCO RULZ
Jake

throwerb
08-03-2004, 05:50 PM
I've bought 4 of the D31M from this guy in the last three years and they are all still going strong. He let me pick them up in Cypress for $150 Ea. Best deal anywhere. I have his number if anyone needs it.

fujimo
08-03-2004, 08:49 PM
I' had my red top for 6 or 7 years now. now it's in my father inlaws car. drained it down to nothin in the boat many times and it's still kickn,

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
08-04-2004, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by Jake W
.......Even the most a red top puts out is 910 cranking amps.
Jake
better check those numbers again. I just bought a red top 2 weeks ago at Orielly's and it says 980 cranking amps with 800 cold cranking amps. It was $119. I have been told the red tops put out way over 1000 amps and are the best choice for cranking. the red tops is what you see in most race cars. of course opinions are like a$$holes, everybody has one.:D
of course I just use my battery for strictly cranking, no lights, no radio, etc. I do run a pump to blow up a tube every now and then. I was told not to use an optima if you have an altenator that puts out less than 80 amps.:confused:
Omega

Jake W
08-04-2004, 04:35 AM
The numbers I posted were off the red tops on the site.You must be looking to pick at any thing you could to say I was wrong about thanks for the usefull info ?
Jake

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
08-04-2004, 05:49 AM
from your site. don't get all butt hurt!!! :rolleyes: oh and there price is $3 more than the local auto parts store. How easy is it to replace one bought thru them if something happens?
http://www.tna-sports.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=detail&id=74283&product=7
Omega

Jake W
08-04-2004, 07:42 PM
Wow a whole 3 bucks probley takes more gas to go there than that.Lets get real (It is not my site).Like I said befor if you can find a better deal go thear by all means.
I started this thread to help people find a better deal than 179 that was the cheapest I could find and that was + shipping.Thats it and thats all.
You win , I just do not really care to talk 3s of dallars diffrence 50 or so is worth posting about.
Every one please go to Costco and your local parts store for your Optima needs mabey you can get a trick shifter knob thear too.
Jake