PDA

View Full Version : Great Guy / Fun Guy !!!!!

BILLY.B
07-30-2004, 04:10 PM
For many of you that attend the Needles trip in April you may have seen this guy riding around on his bike with his dog asking you how your boat was running, when you were putting her to make a pass, and if you were having a great time. His name was Don Spangler and he was very good friend of mine who at the very young age of 60 passed away last Friday after dealing with a very rare form of cancer. At his funeral today they played a great video of his life and at the end of the tape he layed down a pass in front of Needles in his blown gas Sanger hydro. Don loved it when he knew we were all coming to town to make some noise and hang out. This year he was under the weather but that didn't stop him from coming down and hanging out under DOSSANGER'S shade and talking to Julian Pettingill for hour's about the good ol' day's. He loved people, the river, his friend's, his family, and most of all his wife. In this day and age of people just walking out if time's get tough it's comforting to see couple's this close after all the years of being together. Don and Rene just finished building a beautiful home down river from Needles marina on the California side, you can't miss it due to the "HUGE" window's that over look the river. So the next time you pass the house give the engine a "BIG REV", Don would love that. So long BUDDY, you'll be greatly missed. :(

dmontzsta
07-30-2004, 04:18 PM
Very sad to hear, thanks for the great run down Billy, sounds like a great guy.

Hustler
07-30-2004, 04:19 PM
So thats where you were when I came by today to say hi. I know the house your talking about, it's very nice.
Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family

BILLY.B
07-30-2004, 04:23 PM
Sorry Chief. Give me a call next week and try it again.

ColeTR1
07-30-2004, 04:26 PM
I hope after I’m gone people say such nice things!! Well done Billy B. Sounds like Don did a fine job! (At Living Life) and at the end that is what is most important.

Kindsvater Flat
07-30-2004, 04:50 PM
Sounds like he was a good ol' guy. 60 is on the early side.:frown: I'm sure right now he's already on the river watching Billy.

superdave013
07-30-2004, 05:09 PM
Billy, Sorry to hear about your friend. Cancer is just a hard way. Lost my best friend to that a little over a year ago.

dossangers
07-30-2004, 05:18 PM
I was sitting there listening to him& julian talk and it was great Next time down to needles i will make a pass in his honer in front of his house . Rest In PEACE

07-30-2004, 06:22 PM
Very sad to hear, 60 is too young. He sounds like the type of guy I would have liked to have known. God Speed and I'll hoist one tonite in his honor.

VD CRUISER
07-30-2004, 07:11 PM
Sad story, but sounds like he really enjoyed his life. God Bless.

GofastRacer
07-30-2004, 07:13 PM
Sorry to hear that, may he rest in PEACE!..:frown:

BILLY.B
07-31-2004, 04:30 AM
Thanks for all the nice reply's. I'm going to print this out for his wife as i'm sure she'd like to keep it. And MONEYPITT thanks for the PM. I'll be sure to honor your request as long as zoomies are still around :D :D .

wsuwrhr
07-31-2004, 07:23 AM
I remember you telling me about him. Sorry to hear about your friend. I never got to meet him.
Godspeed.
Brian

DansBlown73Nordic
07-31-2004, 10:56 AM
Very sorry to hear the Bad News!!! I had a very close friend who got Pancreatic Cancer. In about 3 months he was gone. He was only 54.
:frown:

CircleJerk
08-01-2004, 08:48 AM
OK, some of you know that I have only been to Calif once and that was when I knew a few car drag racers who lived there. It must have been about 1989 that the owner of the funny car I drove, named Harold Doolin, suddenly died at 58 while we were at the World Finals! I reluctantly delived his Corvette racer to the Garden Grove area in my old 1965 hauler and then had a royal tour of some great hot rod shops there. This had to be the time I heard the name and was supposed to visit him or I had met him. I think he knew Harold. Don must have been well know within the drag racing folks there.
So sorry to hear of another racer who lost the ultimate race of live. Doesnt it seem like it goes just too fast? My condolences to all the family!
Boy, itsnt it hard to put to words things of this nature? I have lost too many friends close to this age, and heck, I'm also there! But I wanted to contribute to this post to the best of my jerKish capacity.........

Cousin Bob
08-01-2004, 05:29 PM
I got to meet Don a couple of times while at the river, and as everyone has said, he is a hell of a super guy. Always nice, and fun to be around.
My prayers go out to his Family.

Stab-n-Steer
08-03-2004, 07:19 AM
My condolences Billy... Lost my dad to cancer in his early 60's... Hopefully Don and my dad and all the other gone v-drivers can get together and have a heavenly v-drive reunion!
S&S

Brendellaracin
08-03-2004, 11:23 AM
Billy, Sorry to here about your friend Don. It sounds like he was a great guy.
After having battled with cancer twice in my life, when
I here something like this it always makes me think how lucky I
am and also how sad it can be when we lose a good friend.
Don sounds like a great guy, It's a shame I never got to met
him.
Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family & friends.
- Marty & Cheri

Her454
08-03-2004, 12:43 PM
Billy, Sorry to hear about your friend. 60 is way too young but it sounds like he lived life to the fullest. God Bless.
Traci