PDA

View Full Version : Sunscreen messes up vinyl?

Mandelon
07-30-2004, 06:58 PM
I've got a couple of spots on my vinyl seats that I believe are from some sunscreen. It looks as though the vinyl is sort of melted and raised up a little. :mad: Itts only slightly discolored.
Just FYI, be careful with that stuff. I don't know which brand did it, cuz we had several going at once........
Also bug repellent will mess up plastics too.

Dr. Eagle
07-30-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Mandelon
I've got a couple of spots on my vinyl seats that I believe are from some sunscreen. It looks as though the vinyl is sort of melted and raised up a little. :mad: Itts only slightly discolored.
Just FYI, be careful with that stuff. I don't know which brand did it, cuz we had several going at once........
My wife used to use a spray on sunscreen. She ruined the windshields on my old boat with that stuff... only by where she was sitting spraying that stuff...:rolleyes:

Debbolas
07-30-2004, 07:05 PM
WTF?!?!?
(really, sunscreen can damage your seats)
Where is Warlock when ya need him?!:eek:

Dr. Eagle
07-30-2004, 07:06 PM
POOP
Some sunscreens are harsher on vinyl and other plastics than others...

LASERRAY
07-30-2004, 10:38 PM
Also bug repellent will mess up plastics too. Yes, Skin Cancer is much easier to deal with mandy................................!:rolleyes: :D

hoolign
07-30-2004, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by LASERRAY
Yes, Skin Cancer is much easier to deal with mandy................................!:rolleyes: :D
probably alot easier to drive around with a t-ee shirt on than a boat cover:p

Mike67rs
07-31-2004, 04:40 AM
I've got a couple of spots on my vinyl seats that I believe are from some sunscreen. It looks as though the vinyl is sort of melted and raised up a little. Itts only slightly discolored.
I got the exact same damage to one of my seats last weekend. It must be the spray on oil that my friends were using. I couldn't figure out where it came from until I read your post. Ban it from your boats.

RiverOtter
07-31-2004, 05:02 AM
Shoulda bought a production boat. My vinyl is fine :D

Coach
07-31-2004, 06:44 AM
Check out this thread. They use Colemans White gas to help with stains from sunscreen.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52036&perpage=25&pagenumber=2

welk2party
07-31-2004, 08:28 AM
I too have that problem. However, I only have it on the driver seat and I use Bananna Boat. I make everyone use towels and that prevents any problems. The Mr. Clean erasers have gotten a lot of it off. Will have to try the White Gas for the rest.

Debbolas
07-31-2004, 08:31 AM
Wow, we have towels on all seats people sit on and I do use that spray on Bullfrog to "touch up" our sunscreen protection after putting the lotion on.
What brand of sunscreen was it?
Debbolas<-------------banning all sunscreen in her boat. Only clear liquids allowed (beer is a clear liquid):D