PDA

View Full Version : Reverse cable keeps getting tweaked

dgie
07-30-2004, 10:14 PM
I might be rigging my reverse cable wrong. This is the second one that has bent up by the control lever. Is there a special way to rig these things? Any help is appreciated.

Moneypitt
07-31-2004, 12:41 AM
Sure, there is a reson why the cables are failing. The question is what can you do to make it live. Somewhere the angles/dangles of the setup/hookup are not right. Where the problem is has to sorted out by carefully looking at the angles, the travel length, where the end of the casing is mounted in relation to the end of the travel etc....... Where, which end of the cable, is it failing? I've found that the clamping area, the actual angle of operation, in a "production" type installtion leave alot to be desired. I would guess that your reverse handle is taking the cable "over center". Meaning that the amount of handle travel exceeds the "pivot" angle of the cable. The alignment of the clamp, and where the cable actually must get to may be off, or, the amount that you are moving the cable may be un necessary to move the reverse gate the required distance. I seem to remember my jet boat had the same problem, and it was the handle trying to get the cable over center because of excessive movement. A stop, mounted to the side of the boat, cured the problem.............MP

dgie
07-31-2004, 11:23 PM
Thanks Moneypitt, here is my cable setup for my reverse not sure if I am hooking this up right any help would be appreciated
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/1850revcable2.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/1850revcable.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/1850revcable3.jpg

79miller
07-31-2004, 11:49 PM
I'd take a picture of mine but it's in the shop. Moneypitt's got the idea. As you push the lever forward something needs to stop the travel before the arm on the shifter is parralel with the cable, maybe 5-10 degrees before. You can use another stop, kinda like the piece of angle iron that's already there to limit how far you can pull back in reverse. If I remember on mine there is a stop on the gate that hits before the shifter over centers. It will probably help if you move the mount for the cable (where the hose clamps are) up putting more angle on the cable as you move the lever forward.

Rexone
08-01-2004, 03:13 AM
These cables are designed to have the "end" of the cable jacket as your mount point and incorporate a slot for that purpose. Several types of cable mounting brackets are available to accomplish this and fabricate to. Mounting it back further on the plastic jacket which you appear to have done may be allowing the cable to flex beyond its angle design at the normal mounting point (which would normally be fixed). Once subjected to force at an angle beyond the design intent, the weakest point gives up, in this case bending of the end of the cable. In other words mounting it on the flexible jacket location allows the jacket to flex in the opposite direction of the force, thus exceeding the operating angle design of the cable end portion. Make sense? A little hard to explain in words.
My guess from your pictures is that you should remount the end of the cable at the intended mount point on the metal end of the cable jacket and that your present "flexible" mounting point is contributing to your problem.
I think the guys are on the right track with the stop as well. I've had to do this in several rigging situations. The majority of these cables are designed for 3" of total travel. If you push them beyond that and bind the end up (run it out of travel), again the weakest point will fail.

79miller
08-01-2004, 03:01 PM
That's where this little beauty comes into play. I'm sure Rexone has a few for sale...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/1850morse_2.jpg

Duane HTP
08-01-2004, 04:57 PM
Here is a product that will help you with your problem.
http://www.eddiemarine.com/cart/details.asp?SubCategoryID=596&CategoryID=73
When this is used, the cable angle will be in the proper place.

dgie
08-06-2004, 07:01 PM
I recieved my new cable today in the mail and have further questions. I am not sure how everyone is rigging these cables. Are they rigging them where the cable is on the bottom as shown in my picture above or are they rigging them reverse of that where the cable is on top and the arm is below. I am doing my best at trying explain what I mean. Hard to put it into words, let me know if you all need any further clarification. The problems I am facing is when I mount the cable above it rubs on the inside, and when I mount it below I do not have anywhere to mount the second stop. :confused:

Duane HTP
08-06-2004, 07:15 PM
You mount it with the cable lever arm below center. When you use the part shown above, there is no need for stops.

dgie
08-06-2004, 07:19 PM
If thats the case. I assume the way it is the picture, is correct then? also I need to put in a block like they posted above but not sure where or how to do it, where it will not get in the way of the cable....any ideas? The other way is blocked with a piece of angle iron as shown in the picture above.

dgie
08-06-2004, 07:24 PM
Your faster then me, you edited your message before I finished typing :eek!: :) ....are you sure about the fact that stops are not needed? I have the clamp bracket above that 79 miller posted.

malcolm
08-06-2004, 07:27 PM
That's a pretty good pic, but I can't quite tell if the lever is hitting or not. Looks like you need to get rid of that forward stop under there to get some more travel. Then maybe you can get it adjusted so you won't cam over when you go forward with your handle. Is that what's tweaking your cables?

malcolm
08-06-2004, 07:29 PM
Looks like I pulled in a little late for the party... :)

dgie
08-06-2004, 07:40 PM
No the party is still going. They mentioned above that I need to add another stop just as the one I have in there already to stop the travel in the oposite direction. It was binding in that direction. Do you have any stops in yours? or is the clamp enough?

malcolm
08-06-2004, 07:57 PM
No stops on mine. Although mine also has the throttle cable with it, so it's really complicated and works a little different.

79miller
08-06-2004, 08:16 PM
I don't have stops either. You just need to get the cable in the right position. It looks like it needs to point more downward towards the bracket on the shifter, in other words, the clamp should be higher then the centerline of the shifter. Does that make sense? I tried looked at mine but there is no way in hell I can get the camera in there for a picture with pulling my drivers seat. Let me see if I can make up a picture....

79miller
08-06-2004, 08:34 PM
Now this is some of my finest artwork here. Does this help?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/1850shifterfwd.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/1850shifterrev.jpg

Cheap Thrills
08-06-2004, 08:50 PM
I don't need reverse , I ain't comming back :D
Seriously I try to route all cables as straight as possible with slow curves, mounted in the controll / slave housings as firmly as possible then I use zip ties and anchors along the route to keep the rest from flexing . make sure nothing is binding those Morse type cables should last a lifetime . I've never had to replace one of my own due to breakage . it's usually broke when I get it . :rolleyes:
anyhoo
C.T. :wink:

dgie
08-06-2004, 09:11 PM
Miller I am not sure if I would be able to get that angle on the mounting clamp that I have. look at the picture I took above looking at the shifter from the outside. See the holes next to it? it looks kind of like a shotgun blast, I know. But those are the holes I have to choose from unless I drill more. It was in there from the factory somehow using those holes and I am confused how....

79miller
08-06-2004, 09:27 PM
Looks like one of the upper holes might get you a better angle. Can you hold the cable by hand while you move the shifter? If you find the right place, pop another couple holes and seal up the rest with some resin, then cover with some paint or maybe some hot velvet or pleather....

dgie
08-06-2004, 09:37 PM
I could do that, I hate to drill holes, but if necessary then thats cool. I am really curious on whats up with all the holes in there right now. I wish I could find someone else with a Bojo boat and see if this was infact factory or someone blasting holes in there for who knows what.

79miller
08-06-2004, 10:12 PM
Good luck! Time to crash.............................