PDA

View Full Version : Buick Power for boat??

Keithb87
07-31-2004, 03:11 PM
I have a chance to obtain an early 70's Buick 455. Is this a good or bad choice for a Jet Boat power plant? Is it the same as the Olds with the oiling issues? Just thought I'd ask before I spent more money.
Thanks
Keith(don't really need it but hey.) B87 :D :D

Mr Twister
07-31-2004, 03:28 PM
Chevy or Ford is cheaper and easier HP. If you are "IN TO" Buicks and have the means to do it , I say go for it. There will be plenty of difficultys, but it sounds interesting. Plan on being the only one doing it, and getting asked "is that an Olds? I run a Pontiac, so I kinda know the road you would be walking. (or crawling).

Floored
07-31-2004, 03:47 PM
BBB is cool just finding the hardware makes it a pain. look at the buick in the Jegs engine masters challenge for brief info. totally different oiling system than olds. good luck

ssanddemon
07-31-2004, 03:58 PM
I have built a few 455's in the past, have a 500 or so hp 455 on a stand in the back bedroom awaiting the next project car. Recently bought my first jet, Ford powered. I would love to see a 455 in a jet due to the extremely low weight of these (a couple hundred lbs less than the Ford or Chev). The bore and stroke are 4.3125 x 3.900, a nice oversquare motor for high rpm. They will spin over 7k with only basic mods: the OE crank is high strength nodular and has small journals for great high rpm oiling, the rods are forged Perlite iron, good stuff. Factory power in the late '60s/early '70s were in the 360 hp 475 lbs. torque range. They are known for low oil pressure problems and for breaking that light block in high torque applications, remedied by the high flow oil pump kit and girdled oil pan from Poston. Unfortunately, the only aftermarket manufacturers I know of are Kenne Bell and Poston: everything you need to make big hp but PRICES ARE HIGH! Alas, I have never seen one in a boat.

manuel
07-31-2004, 05:06 PM
These guys seem to know something about Buicks, if they can get this tank to carry the fronts a boat should not be too difficult,
http://www.taperformance.com/_derived/welcome.htm_txt_Wagonstand_jpg.gif
http://www.taperformance.com/
Actually Buick did have marine engines but only the 225 V6, 300 V8 and 401 nailhead from what I found available under Buick marine manuals,
I like the idea of having something different, even if it does cost more to do it and takes more searching for Hi-Po parts, heads & intakes are no problem but the only exhaust manifolds I've seen for them are Glenwood logs,

Duane HTP
07-31-2004, 06:06 PM
Check and make sure that you can find marine exhaust manifolds somewhere that FIT, before you spend any other other money.