PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion on this sleekcraft.

Back Forty
08-02-2004, 04:56 AM
What do you all think of this Sleekcraft?
Panther pump with adjustable ride plate?
I ask because a friend is considering the boat.
This is a loaded question because I have seen this thing before in person and of course have heard all of the panther slam but I would like to hear anybody elses thoughts on it. This is CJ Battens boat.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2485382947&category=31270&sspagename=WDVW#ebayphotohosting

LiquidJ
08-02-2004, 06:06 AM
If you are interested in a Sleekcraft , I have the following for sale:
1979 20' Sleekcraft Aristocrat. Completely rebuilt 454 .060 over. All new internals. Completely rebuilt heads. 850 Holley. 1 hour on motor. Berkley Jet w/ Place diverter. Tandem axle trailer and full trailerable boat cover. I will have pictures next week. PM me if you are interested or have any questions. I can provide more details, looking to get $6000.

Back Forty
08-02-2004, 06:12 AM
Thanks. I'll get back to you shortly.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
08-02-2004, 08:26 AM
injected headers under closed engine cover = fire or huge explosion.
the shifter is mounted upside down:confused:
the paneling on the front of engine compartment doesn't appear to be marine grade:wink:
I think I would find a better way to hold the boat on the trailer than throwing a 1 inch strap over the top:p
all in all it may be a good starter boat but for the current bid (5,100) I think he could start off better with a mixed flow pump. I know from experience that axial flow pumps are not performance pumps and you are just wasting money by throwing more hp at them. If your friend wants to ski and tube this may be a great boat. If he wants to go fast look elsewhere. Should he decide to persue this boat I would definitely loose the headers FAST. they are very dangerous under a closed hatch. the other stuff is strictly cosmetic.
Omega

Mr Twister
08-02-2004, 08:40 AM
Those headers look like "water jacketed" lightnings, not water injected.

AZKC
08-02-2004, 08:47 AM
Hell that thing is pimp, Love that gelcoat. Panther with trim tabs will make a good cruiser. Not going to be the fastest but a good boat probably.
http://members.cox.net/battenparts/boat1.JPG
:D

Jetdriver
08-02-2004, 08:55 AM
Dont waste your time on a piece of garbage!

superdave013
08-02-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Mr Twister
Look like injected Bassets to me. That's a fire waiting to happen.

victorfb
08-02-2004, 09:32 AM
holy crap i cant believe that thing hasnt blown up allready. look closer, definatly water injected headers. and those are not vents in the motor well, they are speakers. funny that i had the same exact stereo and equalizer in my first truck in high school. (69 F250). damn i thought that was a cool stereo. :p

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
08-02-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Mr Twister
I double dare you to touch those 'water jacketed' headers after a good run.:rolleyes: no need for a cigarette lighter in the boat with those INJECTED headers, just pop the hatch and fire it up.:p
If a float stuck or a fuel leak developed somewhere under that engine hatch...........KA...F U C K I N.......BOOM!!!!
Safey first;)
Omega

roostwear
08-02-2004, 10:08 AM
How long until that thing finally quits because the Supertrapp's have corroded? Not pushing exhaust OR water. Must explain the new engine.....

superdave013
08-02-2004, 10:36 AM
Other then the headers that boat could be a pretty pimp party rig!

MudPumper
08-02-2004, 10:47 AM
How is he calling that a NEW stereo system?? And the motor is new and hasn't run since the Dyno tune??? So what he is saying is that he built a new motor but put all the old corroded crap from the old motor back on, manifold, bolts, carb, valve covers......etc.... What kind of ghetto shi t is that? I must have missed it but I'm sure it said somewhere that it goes 100+.:D
http://members.cox.net/battenparts/boat15.JPG

AZKC
08-02-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by superdave013
Other then the headers that boat could be a pretty pimp party rig!
:D Dim ladies be all up in it;)

Back Forty
08-02-2004, 11:18 AM
New radio system.
New gauges.
New
New
New....
Looks like the boat used to have some sort of turn buckle type cav lookin plates. Nice improvement.:yuk:
This guy was asking 14k for it a little over a year ago. I bet not much has changed.:rolleyes:
Nice wood paneling.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
08-02-2004, 12:23 PM
you might also think about putting a bassett t-valve in those lines running to the headers. I'm gonna guess that a motor putting out 630 DYNO hp is gonna have a pretty good overlap in the cam and reversion can suck alot of water into that hotrod engine.
I don't get it the guy spent $$$$ putting in braided stainless lines but no stainless bolts? It is one hell of a sleeper if it is what he says it is.:rolleyes:
Omega

Mr Twister
08-02-2004, 12:31 PM
I took closer look at the images, I agree they do appear to be water injected. Yikes.

Screemy1
08-02-2004, 01:24 PM
Whats the little thingy hangin down? Is it the parachute release cord?? :smilespi:

Back Forty
08-02-2004, 01:39 PM
Thats the new wiring harness.;)

riverbound
08-02-2004, 01:41 PM
shouldn't he have said "new to me" on his list of "new" parts? that boat looks like fire hazard waiting to happen. If the water injected headers dont kill you the electrical will.

castaway
08-02-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by MudPumper
How is he calling that a NEW stereo system?? And the motor is new and hasn't run since the Dyno tune??? So what he is saying is that he built a new motor but put all the old corroded crap from the old motor back on, manifold, bolts, carb, valve covers......etc.... What kind of ghetto shi t is that? I must have missed it but I'm sure it said somewhere that it goes 100+.:D
sorry to change the subject, but what kind of camera did you use to take that shot?

460rogers
08-02-2004, 05:02 PM
I gotta get one of them thare adjustable on the fly rideplates.
Thats my next project.Must be a Panther only option.
How would you make the control lever for 1/8" adjustments?
http://members.cox.net/battenparts/boat10.JPG

BLUBYU
08-02-2004, 05:53 PM
Gotta love the wood paneling. Looks like something out of someones den...:(

ChetCapoli
08-02-2004, 08:40 PM
Where's cas to defend this panther powerhouse? Looks like a neat boat and it appears to be a tunnel and also appears to be more like a 21' and not a 19'.
CHET

MudPumper
08-02-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by castaway
sorry to change the subject, but what kind of camera did you use to take that shot?
I didn't take the pic, the guy selling it did, I guess.

berk
08-02-2004, 08:59 PM
:eek: we have a word for boats like this in my neighborhood : GHETTO!!! i hate metal flake almost as much as tinted windsceens and how much of that paneling have we ripped out of our collective shitty rentals anyway? must be square miles by now! i am not familiar with sea pigs like this but could this thing ever dry out with all that weight up front (and i mean without the 10 people!)
i say part it out

460rogers
08-03-2004, 02:45 PM
I don't like being negative about other peoples boats BUT.
If you do want it check that transom out real good,it looks like water has gotten to the plywood through all those holes.In this pic it looks like its getting soft.
http://members.cox.net/battenparts/boat10.JPG
This is just an opinion,I have not seen this boat in person just something to check first$$$$$$$$$