PDA

View Full Version : The Rocket kicked out of Youth Baseball Game

Coach
08-02-2004, 01:04 PM
Roger Clements was kick out of his son's youth baseball game (10 and under) for spitting seeds on an umpire. It was just reported on ESPN.
Way to show your kid good sportsmanship. What a shinning example.:yuk:

Kilrtoy
08-02-2004, 02:28 PM
WOW, I would not expect that from him....
That is too bad

HCS
08-02-2004, 02:31 PM
That would be like a Bayliner builder trying to build a Schiada.

hd&boatrider
08-02-2004, 03:44 PM
Sounds like the 20 year old ump wanted to make a name for himself......
Roger Clemens got tossed for a spitter.
Ejected from a youth league game after his 10-year-old son was called out in a close play, Clemens was banished to the parking lot after an umpire said the Rocket spit a sunflower seed at him.
It happened Saturday in rural Craig, Colo., during a 10-and-under Triple Crown Sports tournament. The future Hall of Famer was away from the Houston Astros, as his team allows him to be when he's not pitching.
Photo gallery
Week in baseball
"It wasn't like he was shouting or came storming on the field, like a Mike Piazza moment," Ron Stapp, whose son made the phantom tag on Kacy Clemens on a steal attempt, said Monday.
Even so, Clemens wound up watching the rest of game from his car, peering over a fence as Kacy and the Katy (Texas) Cowboys lost to the Bakersfield (Calif.) Curve 11-5.
"I supported the umpire's decision and he respectfully left," field supervisor Jim Carpenter said.
A call to the Triple Crown coordinator for comment was not returned. Organizers did not identify the umpire.
"Roger told me he was signing autographs when the disputed call happened and didn't even see the play," said one of his agents, Randy Hendricks. "To his knowledge, no one ever asked him to leave.
"In his mind, it's a nonevent," Hendricks said.
Clemens was sitting in his own chair, behind a fence near the first base dugout, when Kacy was called out at second base in the middle innings.
Stapp's son Ryan made the tag - "my son admitted he missed him," the dad said - the Cowboys and their fans complained.
"But Roger never said a word," Katy manager Doug Hanson said. "He was holding his camcorder and never stood up. He didn't do anything wrong."
Roger Clemens ended up having to watch his son's baseball game from the parking lot after being tossed. (Pat Sullivan / AP)
Hanson said the umpire, whom he described as being about 20 years old, walked over toward the bench.
"All of a sudden, I hear him say, 'He's outta here!"' Hanson said. "I asked him who because I thought it was one of my coaches. And then he says, 'Roger.'
"I couldn't believe it. I said to him, 'You just ejected Roger Clemens?' and he said, 'Yeah."'
Hanson said the umpire told him that although Clemens didn't say anything, the pitcher spit a sunflower that hit the ump's pants cuff.
"There was a pile of 250 to 300 sunflower seeds there, I don't know how the umpire knew that was the one," Hanson said.
Carpenter was then summoned from an adjacent field and said it was time for Clemens to leave the premises. At that point, Clemens simply got up and left the Loudy-Simpson complex without an argument.
"He told me it wasn't worth it, that he didn't want to be distraction and to let the boys play ball," Hanson said.
Bakersfield manager Travis Sterling said he wasn't aware that Clemens had been ejected.
"I thought Roger had just gone over to the bleachers to sign more autographs. He signed a lot of them," Sterling said.
In fact, young Ryan Stapp approached Clemens shortly after his missed tag set off the episode.
"He signed my son's ball. He was real respectful and nice," Ron Stapp said.
Bakersfield won two more games and left town with the championship and several Clemens autographs.
Clemens was in northwest Colorado because his deal with the Astros gives him personal time to watch his four boys play sports. He pitched Houston past Arizona last Wednesday, and is scheduled to start Tuesday night when the Astros host Atlanta.
Clemens is 12-3 with a 2.77 ERA while pitching for his hometown team. When he's not playing, he's often at the fields with his sons.
"He knows more about baseball in his little finger than I'll ever know, but he's been great to have around this year," Hanson said. "He doesn't ask for any special treatment because of who he is."

MagicMtnDan
08-02-2004, 04:02 PM
At least the Rocket didn't throw a broken bat at the ump :D

Coach
08-02-2004, 04:08 PM
Interesting account. Does this kid have a clue of the kind of back lash that will come down on him from Roger's fans? :confused: I am glad he did not act like a "Little League Dad" . I was very disapointed after the initial reports on ESPN. Seems from this account he did nothing wrong, but be a quiet, supportive pop.

core attitude
08-06-2004, 02:23 AM
HOUSTON (AP) -- Roger Clemens was given an emphatic apology Thursday for "unjustly" being ejected from his 10-year-old son's baseball game last weekend in Colorado.
David King, president of tournament organizer Triple Crown Sports, said "Mr. Clemens was a non-aggressor and a victim of mistaken identity and confusion" by an upset umpire.
Clemens was asked to leave son Kacy's game Saturday in Craig, Colo., when a 22-year-old ump said the Houston Astros pitcher spit a sunflower seed at him. Moments earlier, Kacy was called out on a stolen base attempt -- the fielder later admitted he missed the tag -- and the Rocket watched the rest of the contest from a parking lot.
"Mr. Clemens never raised his voice, never physically confronted our official, nor was he ever on the field of play," King said in a written statement, underlining those words.
"Mr. Clemens was unjustly asked to leave the field of play," King said. "For all of this, we apologize to Mr. Clemens."
King spoke to the future Hall of Famer by telephone to apologize personally.
"I'm pleased with their statement," Clemens said through agent Alan Hendricks before Houston played Atlanta.
Earlier this week, Clemens became upset when discussing the episode, saying, "This is a shame and it's not even an issue."
Clemens was away from the Astros, as his deal with the team allows when he's not pitching, to watch his son play for the Katy (Texas) Cowboys in a 10-and-under tournament.
Clemens was sitting on a bucket, behind a fence near the first base dugout, when Kacy was called out at second base in the middle innings of a game the Bakersfield (Calif.) Curve won 11-5.
The Katy coaches and fans complained about the call, but witnesses said Clemens never said a word. The umpire came over to quiet the ruckus, and said he was hit in the pants cuff by a sunflower seed spit by Clemens.
Clemens left without an argument and said "he didn't want to be distraction and to let the boys play ball," Katy manager Doug Hanson said.
King said the Katy coaches were contesting the call and "our official was upset and angered and approached the area to remove someone. In our official's judgment, a seed had come from the area during the coaches' arguments.
"After reviewing the situation, including the location of the official, it is impossible to believe that a seed was spit at our official by Roger Clemens or anyone."
King also praised Clemens for talking to the young players, parents and coaches and signing lots of autographs.
"I have nothing but good things to say about Roger Clemens," King said later.
King did not identify the young umpire, but said he was a schoolteacher and in his seventh year of calling games.
"With all the complaining the Katy coaches were doing, one of them probably deserved to be gone," King said. "But the vision and the reality, it took it in a direction that didn't happen."