PDA

View Full Version : New Guy with BBC question. Please Help.

BadBahner
08-02-2004, 03:41 PM
I have been reading the board for many months and finally decided to post. Thanks in advance for your help.
I have an 81 Bahner 19' BBC Berk 12JG OT Bassetts
The last place that worked on it changed the setting for how much water goes to the headers and they made a milkshake of my oil. I just wanted my carb rebuilt...idiots(K and H Marine in Orange).
I then took the boat to Wilkes Marine for them to fix everything K and H screwed up. Jim Wilkes told me the only thing he could not fix was the water injected header adjustment because he would have to run it in the water.
Now I have too much water coming out of my headers and I am afraid that I am going to get water in my oil again. Anyone have any tips on adjusting this correctly?
Right now I have the intake valve coming in at the pump wide open and I have the overboard valve also wide open. What is the proper amount of water going into the headers and what is the best way to adjust?
Other situation. Wilkes reccommends I go with a thru hull exhaust system. Is this a good idea? I am not all about performance and getting my gps to read 100. I just want my boat to start everytime and be hassle free. How much performance does it really cost you having a log setup.
Thanks for your help
Eric

flat broke
08-02-2004, 04:19 PM
Eric,
First off, welcome out of the shadows. In response to your question about the logs, here goes. The softer (less HP ) the motor, the less effect logs will have on it. In other words, you would see a much bigger loss slapping them on a 800hp naturally aspirated motor then you would by putting them on a 330 horse factory deal.
The good news (well kinda) is that you can have your cake and eat it too. They make Jacketed headers which will end the issue you are currently dealing with. They make good power stay pretty cool, and keep the water out of the exhaust stream until the end of the collector. The down side is they cost about $1600 for a basic set.
Alternatively you could do a search on here for info on the Banderlog valve for your current headers. The valve controls the water flw for you based upon RPM not pressure like its setup right now.
Good luck,
Chris

squirt
08-02-2004, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by BadBahner
I have been reading the board for many months and finally decided to post. Thanks in advance for your help.
I have an 81 Bahner 19' BBC Berk 12JG OT Bassetts
The last place that worked on it changed the setting for how much water goes to the headers and they made a milkshake of my oil. I just wanted my carb rebuilt...idiots(K and H Marine in Orange).
I then took the boat to Wilkes Marine for them to fix everything K and H screwed up. Jim Wilkes told me the only thing he could not fix was the water injected header adjustment because he would have to run it in the water.
Now I have too much water coming out of my headers and I am afraid that I am going to get water in my oil again. Anyone have any tips on adjusting this correctly?
Right now I have the intake valve coming in at the pump wide open and I have the overboard valve also wide open. What is the proper amount of water going into the headers and what is the best way to adjust?
Other situation. Wilkes reccommends I go with a thru hull exhaust system. Is this a good idea? I am not all about performance and getting my gps to read 100. I just want my boat to start everytime and be hassle free. How much performance does it really cost you having a log setup.
Thanks for your help
Eric
Eric, Why is the valve on the pump full open? Do you have a pressure regulator on it? If not you are seeing WAY to much water pressure in your motor and that is the likely sorce of the milkshake. Put your boat in the water and adjust the valve at idle so your engine temp is about 150 - 180. Then adjust the outgoing water valve so header water comes on at about 2,000 rpm by closing down the outgoing valve. The Banderlog valve is a great idea although you still need to address that incomming water pressure issue.
Good luck, Don

BigBoyToys
08-02-2004, 09:49 PM
Just run them dry and shoot it over the transom:D

BadBahner
08-03-2004, 08:43 AM
Thanks a lot guys for your help.
Don,
I think you are right on the money with too much water coming in from the pump. idle temp was about 120. The hard part is getting at that valve when the motor and the pipes are hot :mad: .
My mechanic is telling me to go with the TT Logs setup and forget about all the adjustment necessary to keep the pipes cool but it is an expense I think may be unecessary.
I like the look of the Bassetts but I do not like all this messing around with the valves.
My Motor is not High HP will the Logs kill my performance?
Motor is 454 375hp when stock but has a couple of mods.
1. Torker High rise
2. Holley 850 DP
3. CaM
4. Roller Rocker
5. MSD IG
I would say it has 400 hp now but I dont know.
Let me know what you think about the TT Logs option?
Thanks,

flat broke
08-03-2004, 09:59 AM
At maybe 400hp The logs are probably not going to make a seat of the pants difference in performance, in fact it may not even show up on the GPS. Others that have gone from logs to OTs on similar power will hopefully chime in and give their experiences.
Chris

BrendellaJet
08-03-2004, 10:07 AM
why not just adjust the inlet valve a little bit at a time, and then get in and see where the temp is at at idle. Should not take long to set it up right. Besides doing that is free.

BadBahner
08-03-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by flat broke
At maybe 400hp The logs are probably not going to make a seat of the pants difference in performance, in fact it may not even show up on the GPS. Others that have gone from logs to OTs on similar power will hopefully chime in and give their experiences.
Chris
Thanks Chris... If I do decide to change the exhaust this is very helpful information.
Eric

BadBahner
08-03-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by BrendellaJet
why not just adjust the inlet valve a little bit at a time, and then get in and see where the temp is at at idle. Should not take long to set it up right. Besides doing that is free.
You may have the most profound point of all. Maybe I will run it out to elsinore tonight and see if I can get it to work. Thanks.

flat broke
08-03-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by BrendellaJet
Simple reason.... injected headers are a bitch on valves. Yes there are plenty of guys that run them with no problems once setup properly, but they will ALWAYS let a little moisture come in contact with the valves. Over time that will suck for the valve life. Plus I'd bet for every 1 guy that has his injected headers setup properly and have never caused him a problem, I can count an equal amount of stories of hydrauliced motors, milkshakes and overall less than stellar times on the water due to injected header setup. Gate valves, bassett Ts with springs etc are archaic setups prone to failure.
If the guy wants a no brainer "safe and sane" exhaust solution, logs are a good place to start in terms of expense, and then you can go up from there.
Just my. 02,
Chris

BadBahner
08-04-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by flat broke
Simple reason.... injected headers are a bitch on valves. Yes there are plenty of guys that run them with no problems once setup properly, but they will ALWAYS let a little moisture come in contact with the valves. Over time that will suck for the valve life. Plus I'd bet for every 1 guy that has his injected headers setup properly and have never caused him a problem, I can count an equal amount of stories of hydrauliced motors, milkshakes and overall less than stellar times on the water due to injected header setup. Gate valves, bassett Ts with springs etc are archaic setups prone to failure.
If the guy wants a no brainer "safe and sane" exhaust solution, logs are a good place to start in terms of expense, and then you can go up from there.
Just my. 02,
Chris
Ok here is the lowdown. I went to elsinore and attempted to tune the flow of water through the engine and the pipes. All of you guys gave me a ton of good information. Getting the water flow to work correctly was a pain in the a$$ but I finally got it. The other factor is I have kids that like to ride in the boat and I am not willing to risk thier saftey on the pipes.
This morning I dropped my boat off at Wilkes Marine and he showed me a center rise system by indmar that is really cool looking and supposedly at my horsepower level won't affect performance. It is being installed right now.
Thanks for all your help. How much can I sell those headers for?
Eric