PDA

View Full Version : Full or Empty Gas Tank During Storage

Inciong_A
08-02-2001, 08:47 AM
When putting the boat away, I always siphon out the remaining gas and put it in our cars. My rationale is that the gas will get old and I should use it before it gets stale. A friend told me that an empty tank is more dangerous than a full one because the gasoline fumes in the tank are more likely to explode than a tank full of liquid gasoline.
What do you experts do?

spectras only
08-02-2001, 08:58 AM
Your friend is right,A full tank is safer than an empty one,plus keeps condensation down to minimum.Fill your tank up and put a can of fuel stabilizer in.You'll have no problem at the start of the new season.I give you an example; my friend lost his Corvette in a fire a long time ago,the car burned beyond recognition,the fuel tank remained intact completely full.Corvettes have a safety fuel shut off in case of a fire.I also lost my motorcycle in the same fire with the fueltank 1/4 full and it did blew to smitherins.

rivercrazy
08-02-2001, 09:02 AM
I agree with Spectra. Keep those tanks full and use Stabil to keep the has from turning into varnish and gum. Gas in a full can will very likely not explode. A partially empty can can level a few houses on a neighborhood!
If its stored for a really long time, you could always drain the full tanks then.

rivercrazy
08-02-2001, 09:04 AM
Also, make sure you add stabil on your last planned trip of the year and run the motor for a while. That way the fuel stabilizer gets disbursed throughout the fuel system.

nitro557
08-02-2001, 09:22 AM
dont fill the tank to the rim , 3/4 or slightly above is best it leaves room for expansion in the spring other wise the gas goes out of your vent .are you winterizing the boat if so how are you putting antifreeze
in it ? i took a 5 gal bucket and installed a bilge pump in it , i hook it to the incomeing water line hook the bilge pump to the battery and fill the bucket with antifreeze and fire it up , i tend to be over anal and run 10 gal total thru it but i never had a freeze problem

RiverDave
08-02-2001, 09:47 AM
I use my boat quite a bit in the summer so I fill it up before I leave. Never really though about the boat exploding or anything I just don't like filling up the boat after a 4 hour drive. This way I can hook it up when I get there and drop it in the water.
RD

wrightnow
08-02-2001, 10:01 AM
I am with you RD, I always put the boat away full and ready for the next trip. I am usually at the river by 5:00pm on every other friday and with a full tanks of gas I can get run in before the sun sets and start my weekend.
As for the winter and condensation it is best to store the boat full full tanks.

RiverToysJas
08-02-2001, 10:03 AM
I try to tow close to empty because I don't want tow 400lbs of fuel for 300 miles. Last winter I stored it almost full of fuel but pumped it out and put it in the cars before my first trip. Never thought about anti-freeze, but then last winter it only got into the 40s here in Orange County Ca. and that was only for a few days! :P

nitro557
08-02-2001, 10:57 AM
only the fortys hell id be boating year round im in northern virginia

77Spectra
08-02-2001, 06:27 PM
River, You got 80 gal. tanks?

RiverToysJas
08-02-2001, 06:49 PM
I don't know the exact number for the conversion anymore (I haven't been into flying for a number of years, used to know then) but I think it's about 8lbs to the gallon. My 18' jet boat holds a whopping 46 gallons - 2/23 gallon tanks. So it's more like 368lbs., if my conversion number is accurate. BUT, in any event, it's a lot of weigh on a single axle trailer over a 300 mile trip.

77Spectra
08-02-2001, 06:55 PM
This may be helpful for everyone to know. Fuel is 6# per gal. Less than water.

Havasu Hangin'
08-02-2001, 07:01 PM
The HH Tugboat specs:
35 gal x 2 = 70 gal x 6 = 420lbs http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/sad13.gif

jroos
08-02-2001, 07:03 PM
Wow, I never did reaslize that it mattered wether full or 1/4. I new about stabilizer. I have 2 saddle tanks with 45 gal. a piece. I did have drain plugs installed, but If it works for you winter guys it`ll damn sure work for me in Louisiana. Only problem here is humidity and heat. You lose 1 octane per month is the rule of thumb. But I will fill mine at least 3/4 to prevent ignition. That is very good advice. I spent a month in the hospital for getting burned in a gas fire already. You don`t want to expieience that, Hurts like Hell or worse.

skijake
08-02-2001, 09:04 PM
you should beable to fill the tank almost full.most people store thier boat before the gasoline vapor pressure is changed to winter specs. This means you sould not get as much evaporation as with winter gas.
Even with fuel stabulizer you may want to change out your fuel before you begin the next season.
Like jroos said you will lose octane while it is being stored. When the gas evaportates you will be losing the light ends (C4's and lighter) which carries alot of the octane.
If you do run this fuel you may be to low on octane and lose a motor.
I use the stored boat fuel in my older truck that can handle low octane, then refuel the boat.
Just my 3 cents

CoastGuardSteve
08-02-2001, 10:14 PM
REMEMBER......
Fuel vapors are what burn, not the liquid petrol.
Gasoline vapors can be ignited up to 25' from the vapor source.
Never fill a plastic gas can unless it is grounded to the earth.
Never use teflon tape on fittings which will be filled with petroleum products.
Gasoline will last longer in a metal container than in a plastic one.
Have fun & be safe!!! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif>

bilgewiper
08-03-2001, 07:05 AM
Ok, this is my experiance only. In the last 20+ years of boating here in N.Ca. where we boat from March to November I have never used Stabil in my gas. Yes, I store the Jet boat with a full tank premium. My other non- trailerable boat with 100 gal capacity sits in a marina all it's life and never gets any Stabil either. I run maybe only 20-30gallons thru it a year Maybe because it is constantly moving with the wave action is why I never had any problems with it in the last 10 years. I have seen other big boats in the marina that run just fine with 3+ year old fuel that don't use Stabil. But maybe low compression engines and operating only at 3000 rpm vs. jet boats at 4600+ rpm makes a difference. Someone also told me once that the new fuels use so much alcohol that it disperses water (where does it go?) and Stabil isn't needed anymore. Could that be true? My spare lawnmower still starts with 3+ year old gas in it. Maybe I am just lucky.......or?
Ethan