PDA

View Full Version : Stringer repair questions?????

FoMoCo
08-03-2004, 08:28 AM
I am in the process of redoing a totally rotted stringer in my 18ft Kachina(full stringer boat), and I have the wood part of the stringer cut out but I was wondering why there is about a 3/4 inch resin under the wood? Was this there to level the wood? Should I grind this out or use it to level the new wood??? Also I was also told by Tapps Plastic not to have any 90-degree corners with fiberglass cloth so they told me to do a fillet like Bondo for a rounded corner? Is this right? I just donÂ’t want to EVER do this kind of crap again so I want to make sure its right, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

FoMoCo
08-03-2004, 10:37 AM
Holy Crap! Look at all the people lookin but not posting!! :eek:

dgie
08-03-2004, 10:39 AM
Try posting it on the barney site, there may be more over there right now.

BrendellaJet
08-03-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by dgie
Try posting it on the barney site, there may be more over there right now.
Doubt it. That place is dead.
You have to establish why the resin was used. Resin will not add strength, though it may have been used because where the stringers were set the hull was angled, so the resin was used to square the floor off. The cloth will not stick well to a 90* corner, hence the reason for the radius. You can do this with a router easily, or with sandpaper and a file if you must.
Are you just replacing one? Id do both, unless you are absolutely positive that the other is 100%-hard to beleive if the other was so rotted. Try searching on Barneys site, Im sure this has been covered in the past...If you are not in a hurry, you can post over there, it may take a few days but someone will get to you.

Screemy1
08-03-2004, 01:10 PM
I am a looky no posty... You wouldn't want my advice... I have no idea how to replace stringers.....just tryin to learn from other posts for down the road..... good luck :)

Challenged Pimp
08-03-2004, 01:46 PM
Wow look at all this activity!!
I have some advice....... Go buy an Eliminator Daytona!!! :D ;)

squirt
08-03-2004, 02:51 PM
Hey phil, I know a few guys have done it that are over on Banderlog. Might try there too. I also might have saved some info I'll look when I get home. The resign on the bottom might have been there from "bedding" the stringer. I'd grind it off and start anew.
Don:D

460rogers
08-03-2004, 03:09 PM
Yes rounding the top corners helps when you glass them in,the cloth will not stick on a 90 and you will have air pockets.
(cool an echo)
And yes the resin under the stringer was either to level the top of the stringer or fill imperfections in the hull.

Delta Jets
08-03-2004, 03:21 PM
I am replacing stringers in my miller went ahead got douglas fir clear grain for both stringers the others lasted around 30 years so i figure if these will last another 30 that will probably finish me up. I was told to put down 2 layers of wetted out mat set your stringers and let that go off then start laying glass over the top go at least 2layers at least 2feet on each side of the repair. the mat on the bottom bonds the stringer to the boat which is where your strength comes from. I am still gathering information on this job but i will help all i can