PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing on a 460 Ford.

soldme_downtheriver
04-27-2002, 10:03 PM
Any one know the right plumbing on a 460 ?
With Hardin Marine log type exhuast?Mine comes off the pump ,then to the "T"& then back into the front of the exhaust maniford, at this point it comes out the bottomof the risers and up to the top of the motor before coming out the water pump cover back into the logs to exit thru the exhuast.The engine has just been rebuilt, It has good even compression, in all cylinders yet I keep getting water in the oil.This happening when the boat is hooked up to a water hose and is being tuned .Not in a lake.
I would appreciate any help.

Oldsquirt
04-27-2002, 10:20 PM
Although you seem to misunderstand the flow circuit, it sounds like you are hooked up correctly.
Water flows from pump to "T" to a fitting on log. It then flows through the log's water jacket and exits at front where it then enters engine through the water pump plate.
Water exits engine at T-stat housing. This hose should be connected to the riser, allowing hot water to exit the boat thru the exhaust.
There are lots of potential causes of water in the oil, from leaking gaskets to cracked engine components. Personally I would start by checking the water pump plate and timing cover for corrosion. Could be enough to prevent gasket from giving a good seal. Same goes for the intake manifold water passages.

propless
04-28-2002, 05:21 AM
I assume that you realize that you must first start the motor, then turn on the hose. When your done running it, turn off the hose first, then the motor.
I learned the hard way.
Originally posted by soldme_downtheriver:
Any one know the right plumbing on a 460 ?
With Hardin Marine log type exhuast?Mine comes off the pump ,then to the "T"& then back into the front of the exhaust maniford, at this point it comes out the bottomof the risers and up to the top of the motor before coming out the water pump cover back into the logs to exit thru the exhuast.The engine has just been rebuilt, It has good even compression, in all cylinders yet I keep getting water in the oil.This happening when the boat is hooked up to a water hose and is being tuned .Not in a lake.
I would appreciate any help.

sandsucker
04-30-2002, 12:24 PM
look at the gaskets & fit between exhaust manifolds & risers if you have a leak there it will run into engine . had it happen.

Taylorman
04-30-2002, 03:52 PM
Propless,
Why do you say you must shut off the motor after the water and start the motor before water?

Wet Dream
05-01-2002, 07:06 PM
Keep pumping that cold water on a hot engine and you'll find out.

82SleekCraft
05-02-2002, 06:37 PM
Keep pumping that cold water on a hot engine and you'll find out.
I've always thought that hydrolocking a motor is more of a problem on OT exhaust. I can't see how I can hydrolock a motor with TT exhaust since the hoses for the exitting water are lower than the cylinder heads.