PDA

View Full Version : Air Cond.

Bre
08-03-2004, 12:16 PM
Had the gas co. come out to look at it. The hose is leaking that carries the water:confused: Basically they can't fix it...so I need to find someone that can:frown:
So is anyone in my area??? Chino/ Chino Hills...or know of anyone that can tell me how much it's gonna cost before they fix it:eek!:

AngryJosh
08-03-2004, 12:17 PM
One Miiiillion Dollars!!!!!:eek: :D

summerlove
08-03-2004, 12:19 PM
Sorry can't help, but I also have a few questions of my own!
I do not have A/C at my house in San Diego (we're only 1.5 miles from the beach) but I wold like to add it. How much should a a/c system cost in a 2 story home with 2500 sq ft. Currently have forced air heating so I'd think the same ducting would work. Any ideas? Thanks.
And thanks Bre for having your A/C shut down on you so I can ask my questions....;)

OGShocker
08-03-2004, 12:24 PM
SL,
We completly replaced our old system last year with a five ton 15 sear unit. 3000sqft ranch. I think the cost was around 6k or so.
Bre, I will have Denise answer you when she gets home. Our guys were pretty good.

Lightning
08-03-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by summerlove
Sorry can't help, but I also have a few questions of my own!
I do not have A/C at my house in San Diego (we're only 1.5 miles from the beach) but I wold like to add it. How much should a a/c system cost in a 2 story home with 2500 sq ft. Currently have forced air heating so I'd think the same ducting would work. Any ideas? Thanks.
And thanks Bre for having your A/C shut down on you so I can ask my questions....;)
I know a great heating and ac guy in San Diego. He helped ROz out with some stuff a while back. Let me know if you want his info.

MAINEVENT
08-03-2004, 12:27 PM
Bre....
My mom just got their air put in and i think they do repairs, This guy did a very clean job for a killer price he has done all my families houses i will try to get his # for you or i will call him and tell him to hook you up :D
MAINEVENT :cool:

Bre
08-03-2004, 12:35 PM
Thanks

Ivan Dan
08-03-2004, 12:44 PM
Hey Bre~
Give this guy Mark (949) 310-9380 a call....he did some work for me on my old house last summer when my dog decided to chew all the wires off the A/C unit. Anyways he did a good job and was very affordable. He is a friend of a friend and came highly recommended to me.

Scream
08-03-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Forensic
I was just quoted 5G for a new AC and Furnace in my place. Its only about 1200 sf and I have existing forced air heating. I plan on getting a couple more quotes before I consider it final.
Depending on the age of the house will determine if you want to reuse your heating unit. Mine is almost 30 years old. It could have been a sales ploy or the guy was just bieng honest.
Either way, its gonna cost me a lot more than I had originally thought.
Forensic
Just a note, but most older furnaces and heaters are either too inefficient or have been recalled for safety concerns. Two of my 5 siblings have purchase homes within the last 2 years and both have had to replace thier heaters, and the homes were'nt that old, just that the heaters were on some national recall list.

jas0502
08-03-2004, 01:11 PM
My .o2, not only are old heaters inefficent, but alot of times the builder installs an undersized fau if they do not install ac.There are some job that we have had to upgrade the fau and ducting because of this. Heaters can still heat up your home if they and the duct work are undersized, but there is no way that adding ac will work.:)

ROZ
08-03-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Forensic
I was just quoted 5G for a new AC and Furnace in my place. Its only about 1200 sf and I have existing forced air heating. I plan on getting a couple more quotes before I consider it final.
Depending on the age of the house will determine if you want to reuse your heating unit. Mine is almost 30 years old. It could have been a sales ploy or the guy was just bieng honest.
Either way, its gonna cost me a lot more than I had originally thought.
Forensic
I did most everything myself and got some good advise and furnace from Lightning's friend. The only thing I haven't done is have it charged yet.... Haven't needed the ac this year yet...

1stepcloser
08-03-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Bre
Had the gas co. come out to look at it. The hose is leaking that carries the water:confused: Basically they can't fix it...so I need to find someone that can:frown:
So is anyone in my area??? Chino/ Chino Hills...or know of anyone that can tell me how much it's gonna cost before they fix it:eek!:
What's the problem? Are you talking about an A/C unit or a swamp cooler?

Bre
08-03-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by 1stepcloser
What's the problem? Are you talking about an A/C unit or a swamp cooler?
An A/C unit. Every year we have to fill this thing on the bottom with water. It helps keep the air thats coming out cold. Real cold. Well the guys that came today said that the water was all gone. It was just re-filled last week . Last summer...the one time filling of water...lasted us all summer. They said that they could see it dripping from the hose?? Looks like a garden hose or something they said. They said depending on where it is leaking from it could be just a lil bit of money or????? So bascially the air wasn't coming out cold anymore because all the water was gone... but that was because there was a leak??? Make sense??? Hope so:D

HOOTER SLED-
08-03-2004, 05:48 PM
Bre, just get all sweaty and post some pics dammit. Forget about the A/C. :D ;)

Bre
08-03-2004, 07:32 PM
:eek:

Bre
08-03-2004, 07:32 PM
It's fuggen hot..anyone gonna help me out:eek: ;)

Infomaniac
08-03-2004, 07:51 PM
Is there a valve open letting the water drain from the hose?

Bre
08-03-2004, 07:54 PM
:confused: hummm???
I have never looked at the thing myself:jawdrop:
All I know that they said is they can see water dripping down the hose. Which means there is a leak. They said as long as the leak isn't in the walls we might be able to fix it ourselves??? I can look at it more tomorrow when the kids are napping.... but it's too dark right now... and Andy isn't home yet either to look at it.

mike37
08-03-2004, 07:56 PM
The only water would be from condensation
You don’t need water in an AC unit to make it cool
There is a condensation line that takes water to the out side of the house

Bre
08-03-2004, 07:57 PM
In ours you do.
It is a gas AC
There is a thing on the bottom that you have to keep at about 4-5 inches of water at all times.

mike37
08-03-2004, 07:59 PM
how do you get the water in there

Bre
08-03-2004, 08:05 PM
Like I said I have never watch the Gas Co guy do it. I just call him and he comes and does it for free:confused: But from what I have seen from the window:D and from him talking... he opens the bottom of the AC unit ( with screw drivers:D ) then he takes this plastic tray out that has holes in it...that also has to be cleanned with a tooth brush every summer so the water can go through it..... and asks me for a 5 gallon bucket.... he fills it up a lil bit and dumps it in I am assuming.... he doesn't take a cup with him or anything.

mike37
08-03-2004, 08:13 PM
how old is this thing
and are you shure thats not part of the filter sytem

Bre
08-03-2004, 08:15 PM
I have no f-en clue LOL
Bre<---- is clueless:rolleyes:
It was here when we moved in.... we will have been here 3 years in Dec. So it is an older AC unit.

Bre
08-03-2004, 08:16 PM
All I know is when the water is filled up it runs cold...when it's not it feels like the air outside

Bre
08-03-2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Floatin'
If it was me I would contact "Where's my Keyes" from RRL either Dean or Mark can give you the best advise, imo. They know HVAC

locogringo
08-03-2004, 11:33 PM
Bre sweety... try posting pics. Might open up some people's eyes on what you are talking about.
If you want, post some more pics of you also...:D
LOL
Good luck!

Bre
08-04-2004, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by locogringo
Bre sweety... try posting pics. Might open up some people's eyes on what you are talking about.
If you want, post some more pics of you also...:D
LOL
Good luck!
:eek:
Maybe once the kids are napping..or around 5pm I can do it:p