PDA

View Full Version : Fuel capacities vs run time

Hallett of a Dream
09-01-2001, 07:46 PM
I was just curious as to what other boats has for fuel capacities versus running times. is my Hallett, with twin 10 gallon tanks (20 total) with a 455 Olds and a single 850 Holley w/ vacuum secondaries will run about 2 hours, give or take, on those tanks. Thats not a whole lot especially when finding a fuel pump on the lakes that I usually go to is hard to find. not loke California out here. I now carry 10 - 12 extra gallons in cans just to be sure and have to go to town to fill them up again.

Bubbledeck2
09-01-2001, 07:53 PM
That's alot of gas!
I have 2 12s in my boat and I usually burn about 16-18 gallons a day, but I spend most of the day turning beer cans upside down http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/happy14.gif
When I run I usually chug around at about 3000 rpm .. I probably put 2-3 hours a day on my boat

Hallett of a Dream
09-01-2001, 08:01 PM
Maybe I'm running it hard, I have only had it in the water 3 times before I lost a couple of rod bearings, but since I just bought the thing it hardly ever ran less than 4000 revs. I am hoping it gets better. My tanks are mounted on the sides and i was thinking of cutting out the space under the bow to add a third tank just so I have more fuel capacity.

Caribbean19'
09-01-2001, 08:22 PM
I have two 15's, and I can usually do a couple hours of skiing and then cruise the afternoon.

LVjetboy
09-02-2001, 12:38 AM
That's not too hard to estimate Mr Hallett. Required fuel can be calculated by:
Required fuel = (HP x .5)/6 GPH
So if you average 1/2 throttle during your time out and have 300 hp at full throttle, then:
Req. fuel = (150 x .5)/6 = 12.5 GPH
So in two hours you'd go through about 24 gallons, assuming you run the entire time and average half throttle hp.
Realistically, with shut-downs for blender drinks, a little dip in the pool and such, you'd burn less than this amount.
jer

jroos
09-02-2001, 05:28 AM
When I worked for an OMC dealership, the rule of thumb was for every 10 hp you would burn a gallon per hour at WOT. Although the FICHT motor would have burned less the same rule applied. In other words if you had a 200 hp then you would burn 20 gals per hour at WOT.

rivercrazy
09-04-2001, 08:26 AM
Mine has 40 gallon capacity. I've gone about 110 miles in mine / 30 mph average = 3.6 hours and 2.75 mpg. Not bad for a big block jet boat. Most big block outdrives probably get 3-6 mpg. Kept rpms at 3500 or less on that trip though. Mostly average about 2mpg overall (skiing, etc). Boats suck gas period!!!

GOT WATER ??
09-04-2001, 02:04 PM
My co-worker was giving me crap about my boat. he said that boat burns toooooo much gas! I said lets compare boats. Mine 73 Spectra20 455 jc berk 52 gallon cap. His 97 18' Bayliner w/some little 4 banger IO I don't know how much gas his carries. Mine PAYED FOR! His $145.00 per mo for the next 8 years! Mine burns about 30 to 40 gallons a day depending on if we are sking or cruising. His burns about 15 to 20 gallons a day depending on the same. Mine right now 48.2 mph gps. (In about two weeks we will see how much a place diverter helps.) His: well I will just say if water was dust his air filter would have been pluged a long time ago. Me I love my boat. I try to take it out every weekend. Him I hardly ever see him out on the lake.
I think that his boat cost him alot more money than mine cost me.
But I might just be bias!
Kelly

rivercrazy
09-04-2001, 02:23 PM
If he has a long term loan and didn't put much $$$ down on it, he is underwater on the deal already. Bayliners are not known for holding their value very well....

Cas42
09-04-2001, 02:38 PM
kind of reminds me of a guy I used to boat with a few years ago. He had 1966 Beismeyer 16' flat bottom v-drive, 389 Pontiac with a 6 pack full of carbs. He use to give me crap to no end about he being able to go at least 2 more hours on about the same amount of gas.
We were running along one day when he caught a sand bar, not real bad but just enough to give his boat a vibration.
After finding out it was going to cost about $1500. to replace the prop, repair the rudder, replace bearings and seals, and straighten the shaft, he was rather upset. All I said with a straight face was, "I sure can buy a lot of gas for $1500.00"
He never said a word to me again.
btw, I have 2-16 gallon tanks and get about 3 hrs per tank running around 3000 in a 21' Tahiti with a BBC in my current boat.