PDA

View Full Version : What's A Good Boat Wax?

INXS
08-04-2004, 12:17 PM
I'm looking for a wax that's good in salt water and lasts. I'm using 3m marine wax now, It gives a great shine buts it doesn't last long.

Huckleberry
08-04-2004, 12:20 PM
I've been using Driven to Perfection with good results. I recently bought some of Warlock 25's Shark stuff, but haven't tried it yet. Many have great things to say about it.

OGShocker
08-04-2004, 12:45 PM
Go with the stuff Warlock 25 sells. Better yet have him detail your boat. He'll fly to Jersey... He is doing ours tomorrow.....I hope..:D

Daytona19
08-04-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by OGShocker
Go with the stuff Warlock 25 sells. Better yet have him detail your boat. He'll fly to Jersey... He is doing ours tomorrow.....I hope..:D I would say do the same, great stuff.. Nice shine for a 91 with no finish work done to it, except using warlocks waxing frenzy wax..

INXS
08-04-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by OGShocker
Go with the stuff Warlock 25 sells. Better yet have him detail your boat. He'll fly to Jersey... He is doing ours tomorrow.....I hope..:D
Does he have a web address or Phone#

SHOCKWAVETOM
08-04-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by INXS
Does he have a web address or Phone#
http://www.attn-to-detail.com/

INXS
08-04-2004, 01:29 PM
I just got a Bob's nosecone and 6" hydr. jackplate. Now I'm going to get a 26" Chopper prop and have it labed by Boger. I hear this will give me a good 76 mph top end. Blueprinting the hull may add 4 or 5 mph more but I here it costs about $3K to do. I here it also makes them more likely to flip? For the $3K I can do some porting and boost the HP to about 260. Better option maybe?

INXS
08-04-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by SHOCKWAVETOM

HammerDown
08-04-2004, 01:39 PM
I'm looking for a wax that's good in salt water and lasts. I'm using 3m marine wax now, It gives a great shine buts it doesn't last long.
Did you try the 3M Ultra Performance Marine Paste Wax?
Nothing I've tryed thus far beats it above and below the water line.

rivercrazy
08-04-2004, 01:45 PM
Unfortunately, nothing is salt water is going to last very long...
But Mcquires top of the line marine wax will outlast most. I've been using Mcquires Gold Class wax for a long time and think its one of the best.
And for a non-wax polish, go with 3M Finesse-It III.

Dave C
08-04-2004, 01:49 PM
mcquires shines the best. :D
anyone have something that lasts longer?

INXS
08-04-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by HammerDown
Did you try the 3M Ultra Performance Marine Paste Wax?
Nothing I've tryed thus far beats it above and below the water line.
I think that's it, Great shine but it doesn't last with Salt water.

HammerDown
08-04-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
And for a non-wax polish, go with 3M Finesse-It III.
Must say I just compared side by side (Polish only) 3M Finesse-it Marine Polish @ 20+ a bottle against Meguiars Marine polish(blue bottle) @ 8$ on my black gel...Meguiars kicked butt for a deep rich wet color and the 3M Ultra Marine Paste Wax locks it in.;)

OGShocker
08-04-2004, 01:55 PM
I just got a Bob's nosecone and 6" hydr. jackplate. Now I'm going to get a 26" Chopper prop and have it labed by Boger. I hear this will give me a good 76 mph top end. Blueprinting the hull may add 4 or 5 mph more but I here it costs about $3K to do. I here it also makes them more likely to flip? For the $3K I can do some porting and boost the HP to about 260. Better option maybe?
Sounds like a "whacka" question so, I don't know. Sorry.

LUVNLIFE
08-04-2004, 06:28 PM
Racers Edge for us. Do not know how it does in salt water though. ;)

CBLavey
08-04-2004, 06:34 PM
Mother's is great stuff. Easy to apply, great shine. Better yet is Rejex. After you apply it, it needs to cure for 12 hours but the shine is unbeatable and [B]nothing sticks to it. It was originally developed for airplanes...

K9Blitz
08-04-2004, 09:05 PM
Keep it simple. It lasts long if that's your top priority. I've used the Waxing Frenzy several times and you can't beat the shine, but it does not last long.

essexjet
08-04-2004, 09:09 PM
Just bought from warlock 25 the trial pack. The boat wash is the best I used and the wax is awesome :) I would buy the trial pack it worth trying!!!!!

INXS
08-20-2004, 12:00 PM
Thanks SHOCKWAVETOM, I tried it on my Explorer, it never looked better, it should help me sell it. It went and came off easy. I have to get it on the Checkmate. I'll give some of the other brands a try too. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

eliminatedsprinter
08-20-2004, 12:19 PM
If it's done right, blueprinting your hull should make your boat more stable, not less.
Is this wax for making the bottom of your hull more slippery? Because a wet sanding with approx 600 grit sand paper will create just enough micro irregularities to break up the surface tension of the water and make your hull less sticky than wax will.

INXS
08-20-2004, 01:42 PM
If it's done right, blueprinting your hull should make your boat more stable, not less.
Is this wax for making the bottom of your hull more slippery? Because a wet sanding with approx 600 grit sand paper will create just enough micro irregularities to break up the surface tension of the water and make your hull less sticky than wax will.
eliminatedsprinter, I heard the Mfg., Checkmate, puts a hook in the hull to keep it in the water? Someone told me it's to keep the boat from flipping? The wax isn't for the bottom, but if I do wet sand do I do it across the bottom or parallel with the lenght. Will add much speed it, both blueprintting and sanding?

eliminatedsprinter
08-20-2004, 01:52 PM
eliminatedsprinter, I heard the Mfg., Checkmate, puts a hook in the hull to keep it in the water? Someone told me it's to keep the boat from flipping? The wax isn't for the bottom, but if I do wet sand do I do it across the bottom or parallel with the lenght. Will add much speed it, both blueprintting and sanding?
Hmm, I think checkmate is a better manufacturer than that, but I guess it is possible. Either way it should be possible for a good blueprinter to take out the hook and do a little re shaping and with the right set up and prop etc.. Your speed, range, and stability should improve.
P.S. I wet sanded my bottom running pad and when I did it, I did it lengthwise. However, I just did it that way, because it seemed logical, I have never heard that it really mattered either way.
Also, when you sand on the bottom, always sand so that you sharpen, not round, the edges of your chines, pad, or stern etc...