PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Guru's

MAINEVENT
08-04-2004, 08:32 PM
Need help i have 2-12" kicker L-5's with a mono amp of 1200 watts when i first installed it about 4 months ago it sounded great now it sounds like $hit :devil: , flat like if the woofer was blown but its not, but if i unplugg the wires from one or the other woofer, the single woofer sounds like it used too it doesn't hit with both hooked up???? the amp is a 2 channel (bridged to one) 1200watts...
any suggestion before i have to drive it all the way from where i bought it...
maybe i am over seeing something???? :confused:
TIA
MAINEVENT :idea2:

Havasu Hangin'
08-04-2004, 08:50 PM
Need help i have 2-12" kicker L-5's with a mono amp of 1200 watts when i first installed it about 4 months ago it sounded great now it sounds like $hit :devil: , flat like if the woofer was blown but its not, but if i unplugg the wires from one or the other woofer, the single woofer sounds like it used too it doesn't hit with both hooked up???? the amp is a 2 channel (bridged to one) 1200watts...
any suggestion before i have to drive it all the way from where i bought it...
maybe i am over seeing something???? :confused:
TIA
MAINEVENT :idea2:
If that is a class D amp, it is a mono amp- just with two terminals.
If your speaker wires aren't grounding on any metal, and the woofers aren't blown, I'd say the amp is probably vacationing in Mexico, and doesn't like the low ohm load.

Froggystyle
08-04-2004, 09:14 PM
Need help i have 2-12" kicker L-5's...
Found your problem.
J/K. Jeff was right on. You could test the ohm load of the speaker with it disconnected, then actuate the woofer up and down by hand. You should have smooth increases and decreases of the ohm reading. The speaker should also be very smooth in actuation. Any grinding or gritty feeling is a blown voice coil.
Adding double the power (removing one of the speakers) will overcome a lot of problems. Especially if you remove the bad one from the mix. Depending on your wiring, removing one speaker from the system will likely increase the ohm load, and make the amp work a lot less as HH stated.
It all kind of depends on your wiring. Dual voice coils? Two 4 ohm's? Two 2 ohms? Single 4 ohm voice coils?
Need the info...

SpectraJoel
08-04-2004, 09:19 PM
if i unplug the wires from one or the other woofer, the single woofer sounds like it used too it doesn't hit with both hooked
Sounds like you might have 1 speaker wired backwards.

MAINEVENT
08-04-2004, 10:51 PM
Yeah it was working fine for months and now out of the blue i have no more bumps :cry:

MAINEVENT
08-04-2004, 10:57 PM
Found your problem.
J/K. Jeff was right on. You could test the ohm load of the speaker with it disconnected, then actuate the woofer up and down by hand. You should have smooth increases and decreases of the ohm reading.
Depending on your wiring, removing one speaker from the system will likely increase the ohm load, and make the amp work a lot less as HH stated.
Single 4 ohm voice coils?
Need the info...
The speaker does move up and down smoothly...the amp is a 2ohms ( i think :confused: ) bridged to one ohm
Coming off the amp the installer ran one speaker wire to the box then split it to both speakers :idea2:
Appreciate the input its just that i have never had a problem with amp and stuff sorry :confused:

Tom Brown
08-04-2004, 11:01 PM
Since they are wired in series, check your phasing.

ROZ
08-04-2004, 11:05 PM
Is it a kx1200.1 or the xs1250.1? Either way you're only able to "strap" or bridge it with another amp. There are many mono amps out today that have dual speaker outpus but play mono;However, Kicker only has one pair of speaker outputs(meaning left and right).
Can you see the entire run of speaker line comming from the amp? You may want to make sure all of your wires are connected to the correct tabs....

ROZ
08-04-2004, 11:10 PM
Also, that amp only performs the 1200 watts at 14.4 volts(alternator turning) with a 1ohm load.....

MAINEVENT
08-04-2004, 11:13 PM
Is it a kx1200.1 or the xs1250.1? Either way you're only able to "strap" or bridge it with another amp. There are many mono amps out today that have dual speaker outpus but play mono;However, Kicker only has one pair of speaker outputs(meaning left and right).
Can you see the entire run of speaker line comming from the amp? You may want to make sure all of your wires are connected to the correct tabs....
The amp is not a kicker i forgot the name of it it does have a right and left output but only one rca wire is coming in to the amp i did although make sure that the wires were hooked up right i cant figure out if the rca's were hooked up right or not but like i said it worked fine b-4 but now its sounds better with just one speaker....
I appreciate the input :smilespi:
MAIN(VERY CONFUSED :confused: )EVENT

MAINEVENT
08-04-2004, 11:16 PM
Also, that amp only performs the 1200 watts at 14.4 volts(alternator turning) with a 1ohm load.....
I HAVE NOTICED MY BATTERY IS GETTING DRAINED ALOT QUICKER WITH THE ENGINE OFF USED TO RUN FOR AT LEAST 2HOURS, EVEN WITH THE CAPACITOR IT A 2.0 FARAD THAT RUNS TO BOTH AMPS

ROZ
08-04-2004, 11:21 PM
The amp is not a kicker i forgot the name of it it does have a right and left output but only one rca wire is coming in to the amp i did although make sure that the wires were hooked up right i cant figure out if the rca's were hooked up right or not but like i said it worked fine b-4 but now its sounds better with just one speaker....
I appreciate the input :smilespi:
MAIN(VERY CONFUSED :confused: )EVENT
Usually in this input and output configuration the 2 pair of connections are to make hooking up a pair of speakers easy and are not to be bridged. I'd try wiring the speakers independently to their own pair of connections to see what happens.

ROZ
08-04-2004, 11:24 PM
I HAVE NOTICED MY BATTERY IS GETTING DRAINED ALOT QUICKER WITH THE ENGINE OFF USED TO RUN FOR AT LEAST 2HOURS, EVEN WITH THE CAPACITOR IT A 2.0 FARAD THAT RUNS TO BOTH AMPS
I was quoting those specs if it was a Kicker...

ROZ
08-04-2004, 11:30 PM
The more I think about this, I think HH is right. Disconnecting either speaker makes it sound better tells me it doesn't like the load.
Try wiring the speakers independently to their own pair of conections as stated earlier, or wire your 1 ohm setup into a 4ohm setup to see if this helps....

SCOTTC
08-05-2004, 01:40 AM
mainevent , he will probablly kill me for saying this , cause he thinks it's embarrasing kinda, but if u ever have any stereo questions again p.m.or ask racrjeff , he was like 3 time state champion and invited to the world finals of spl competition , he use to have a van with 48 bmf 1000ds to 12 digitial design 15s and he once ran a accord with 4 bmf1000ds to 1 15 and spanked everyone with more subs and in higher classes he's been sponsored by crossfire,mmats,crystal and massive audio , and a few stereo shops now hopefully he wont read this but trying to help u out !!!!!!

Mr. Naudio
08-05-2004, 04:52 AM
All are correct so far as to possible causes.
Would also loose the cap or at least try it minus cap to see.
If you can unplug either sub and get the same results, then most likley the amp or a voltage problem.(cap)
If the boat is ever in Havasu CarToyz will look at for free.
028-680-0203

Stupid Fast
08-05-2004, 05:14 AM
This is just one thing to check if the amp checks out ok....
Did you check to see if your box is still sealed? I have had the MDF suck in water where I could not see it and With that kind of power it could be the problem.....I am still leaning to the amp.....

MAINEVENT
08-05-2004, 06:57 AM
[QUOTE=ROZ]The more I think about this, I think HH is right. Disconnecting either speaker makes it sound better tells me it doesn't like the load.
Try wiring the speakers independently to their own pair of conections as stated earlier, or wire your 1 ohm setup into a 4ohm setup to see if this helps....[/QUOTE
The back of the amp only has 1 set of rca tho two connections how would i wire it from the output using the four connections :confused:

MAINEVENT
08-05-2004, 07:00 AM
Also, not sure if you said, but does the amp sound the same pushing either single speaker?[/QUOTE]
Yes

MAINEVENT
08-05-2004, 07:14 AM
[QUOTE=ShockwaveBob]OK, then you've got one of three problems:
1. Speakers out of phase, probably not the problem if you said you didn't change anything. Out of phase means that you have + and - hooked up correctly on one speaker and backwards on the other. Especially bad for bass.
I will triple check that again tonight :smilespi:

Havasu Hangin'
08-05-2004, 07:16 AM
OK, then you've got one of three problems:
2. Low voltage from your batteries not allowing the amp to drive low loads.
To rule out low voltage (before you pull the amp) I would put a voltmeter on the power post of the amp (after the cap).
If the voltage stays up during a hard hit, then I'd guess it's the power supply in the amp.
Hasta la vista, baby.

Evo22
08-05-2004, 07:23 AM
ok there could be a number of problems and you need to trouble shoot all of them and do a proccess of elimination 1st make sure batteries are good and are fully cahrged 2nd check all battery and ground connections to the amp 3rd check RCA's to the amp and back of head unit if all good ( why is there only one rca to the amp or is that one pair??) check the speaker connections are the subs in one enclosure or seperate if they are in one you could have a phasing problem (one speaker wired opposite from the other) check both speakers independantly do they both sound good by themselfs or does one sound better than the other?? what is the name and model of the amp?

MAINEVENT
08-05-2004, 07:50 AM
ok there could be a number of problems and you need to trouble shoot all of them and do a proccess of elimination 1st make sure batteries are good and are fully cahrged 2nd check all battery and ground connections to the amp 3rd check RCA's to the amp and back of head unit if all good ( why is there only one rca to the amp or is that one pair??)
tHERE IS ONE PAIRundefined
check the speaker connections are the subs in one enclosure or seperate if they are in one you could have a phasing problem (one speaker wired opposite from the other) check both speakers independantly do they both sound good by themselfs or does one sound better than the other??
tHEY BOTH SOUND GOOD BY THEMSELVES
what is the name and model of the amp?
I WILL CHECK TONIGHT

SpectraJoel
08-05-2004, 08:20 AM
Start with the obvious...check your fader/balance controls on the radio...dont ask why I am suggesting this. :D

SpectraJoel
08-05-2004, 05:09 PM
It's a mono amp.
I understand...but its signal is coming from somewhere else...

MAINEVENT
08-06-2004, 07:40 PM
Hey guys Thanx for all the input, i tore apart the suburby today, ran new wires from the amp to the box, and bought new optima red top (old battery was ready to go) and rewired the box and resealed it with liquid nail... The good part is i cant see shit out of my mirrors again(woofers are back hitting agai), The bad part is really dont know what was wrong cause did it all at once :confused: :idea: But hey it works again thanx again for the input :D

Havasu Hangin'
08-06-2004, 07:44 PM
...and bought new optima red top (old battery was ready to go)...
Probably just voltage...congrats.