PDA

View Full Version : Finally, my 2000 21' Rogers Open bow pic on the net.

Metal_King
08-04-2004, 11:08 PM
I'm not the best at computers. I actually had a friend help me get this up.
http://www.doom-metal.com/iB_html/uploads/post-19-88014-boatpic.jpg
I think it is the last boat that Mr. Weiman ever built. Roger reitred about 3 years ago and mine is a 2000. SO, I think me gots the very last one. That is, unless Roger was thinking about building one for himself.
SO, anyway. I am thinking about replacing the cam on it. The cam I have is a stock cam...
Any suggestions on what cam to get to boost up HPs a little??
I have a 1985 454 that is an LS6. I had GS marine install the MSD ignition.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
08-04-2004, 11:47 PM
What kind of rpm's are you spinning right now? do you plan on spinning more rpm's? My rule of thumb on cams is no more than 230 @.050 with a motor 9-1 compression and under. You wont spin the r's or have the compression to make the horsepower where the cam makes it the most. Are you heads stock or ported? What kind of intake are you running? What size of carb? Whats your compression? Do you have a diverter? Answer these questions and we can help you. These are "key" questions. trust me, if I idnt ask them then someone will eventually;) You will be suprise what you motor will do with a intake an carb upgrade! Also, if you dont have a diverter you need to get one of those FIRST! The best upgrade for the money for any jetboat followed by a loader.

Metal_King
08-05-2004, 12:00 AM
(1) What kind of rpm's are you spinning right now? do you plan on spinning more rpm's? My rule of thumb on cams is no more than 230 @.050 with a motor 9-1 compression and under. You wont spin the r's or have the compression to make the horsepower where the cam makes it the most.
(2) Are you heads stock or ported?
(3) What kind of intake are you running?
(4) What size of carb?
(5) Whats your compression?
(6) Do you have a diverter?
Answer these questions and we can help you. These are "key" questions. trust me, if I idnt ask them then someone will eventually;) You will be suprise what you motor will do with a intake an carb upgrade! Also, if you dont have a diverter you need to get one of those FIRST! The best upgrade for the money for any jetboat followed by a loader.
Thanks 396....
1) Well, the engine is maxing out at 4700 rpight now. I would like to get that up to 5200.
2) Stock...the whole engine is stock...I originally had this engine in a 1985 18' Bahner...It's all stock. I have not done a thing to the engine.
3) That I don't know...you mean intake manifold??
4) Holley 750
5) It was measured somewhere between 8.5-1 and 9-1
6) Yes, I do...and I had GS Marine add a droop snoot to get more of the boat out of the water. It was originally running at about 4500. The droop got it up to 4700. But, the engine ran 5200 all day in the old Bahner. Now, I know I have a bigger boat...so obviously some tinkering needs to be done.

essexjet
08-05-2004, 12:05 AM
I would think about a set of new headers (ie.. Lightnings or some to it). Anything to make to motor breath easier.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
08-05-2004, 12:14 AM
Thanks 396....
1) Well, the engine is maxing out at 4700 rpight now. I would like to get that up to 5200.
2) Stock...the whole engine is stock...I originally had this engine in a 1985 18' Bahner...It's all stock. I have not done a thing to the engine.
3) That I don't know...you mean intake manifold??
4) Holley 750
5) It was measured somewhere between 8.5-1 and 9-1
6) Yes, I do...and I had GS Marine add a droop snoot to get more of the boat out of the water. It was originally running at about 4500. The droop got it up to 4700. But, the engine ran 5200 all day in the old Bahner. Now, I know I have a bigger boat...so obviously some tinkering needs to be done.
Ok this is what "I" would do if it was mine.Change the intake to a weiand stealth and maybe play with a few carb spacers(since they are cheap and easy to change at the lake). As far as the cam, i would run something like this comp. 1600-5800 rpm,226/236 @.050 lift,112 lobe. That cam is good with an "A" impeller,strong mirange,good throttle response,noticable idle.
Are your heads oval,large oval,or rectangular? What impeller are you running? Do you ski with the boat? What kind of exhaust are you running? I noticed on my"first" jetboat I ditched the logs and picked up 500 rpm's But i have a open motor. i see that you dont but lightening and a few other companies make really great thru transom headers that wake motors up.you sai you have a droop but do you have a diverter?

1Bahnerjet
08-05-2004, 06:32 AM
I think it is the last boat that Mr. Weiman ever built. Roger reitred about 3 years ago and mine is a 2000. SO, I think me gots the very last one. That is, unless Roger was thinking about building one for himself.
Funny you should mention that, awhile ago there was a thread where Mr. Roger's & some other Retired Boat Builder had moved to Havasu. every morning they would hang around the Dock tryin' to hitch a Ride to the Sandbar! so it looks like he "forgot" to build one for himself before he closed shop...

flat broke
08-05-2004, 07:27 AM
I'd like to know where the molds for that cruiser are. :) Great bottom, better looking top than my Spectra 20. Get the Schiada non-skid on the deck and you'd have a nice looking cruiser.
Nice looking boat Metal King. The difference between your previous 18'er and your current setup is probably the impeller in the pump. For reference the 330hp 454 in our old Carribean 20.5 open bow spun a berk A to 4500-4700. If you motor is a true LS6, you compression should be higher than quoted and would be sportin rectangle port heads.
Good luck with it.
Chris

1978 Rogers
08-05-2004, 07:32 AM
Very Nice.