PDA

View Full Version : Help Rebuild Project

SGUILLERAULT
04-07-2006, 06:36 PM
I Recently Was Given A 1970 16 Foot Tahiti Boat With A 90 Hp Chrysler. It Is In Desperate Nedd Of A Complete Refurb. In Fact I Have Completely Strip The Interior Down To Bare Floor. I Am Having Trouble Finding Replica Seats And Rear Bench.

502 JET
04-16-2006, 06:40 AM
How to build seats:
I purchased my Eliminator with bad seats.I took apart the old seats and traced the old wood frames onto new plywood and cut it out.After cutting and cleaning up all the pieces I screwed and stapled all of them together forming new seat frames.I finished them with fiberglass reinforcements at the seams and coated them with resin.My old seat covering was not that bad so I reused it.
If you dont have old seats look at pics of other boats.Design and build frames to fit your boat and take them to an upholstery shop and have them covered.
I dont like to pay people to do things for me that I can do myself but if you have the money take the boat to a upholstery shop and have them do the whole job.

BoaterX
04-19-2006, 01:38 AM
Contact Rene @ www.QualityMarineInteriors.com
I think they moved locations, but the number should be good still.
They do custom work, clean and excellent prices.

Tom Brown
04-19-2006, 11:06 PM
I did the same thing as 502 JET. By carefully disassembling the old seats, you can make a pattern to build as many new seats as you want.
One thing that became obvious during the process was that seat frames are not built to fine furniture standards. I fixed a lot of things I didn't think were right on the original seats (like angles that didn't seem to match up perfectly and panels that didn't quite meet up). I'm positive that I wasted my time building the seat frames so well. Rough something together, have someone cover them for you, and let the vinyl hide your chain saw carpentry.
I wouldn't be afraid to take it on yourself. It's not hard. :cool:

doc_texoma
01-31-2007, 09:37 AM
thanks for the link to QMI.com - I will be needing to do interior soon as well and wont have the time to do it myself.. They look like they do good work.

jetboat
02-06-2007, 08:35 PM
tryed to enter your suite,did not go thru!whats up?

Zaairman
02-06-2007, 10:42 PM
When I bought my Tahiti, it's seat frames were toast too. So, I retraced what I could of the pattern, and rebuilt them. They don't line up everywhere exactly, but it's good enough for me. My vinyl was also still good, so I reused it.

Jetaholic
02-07-2007, 11:00 PM
I did the same thing as 502 JET. By carefully disassembling the old seats, you can make a pattern to build as many new seats as you want.
One thing that became obvious during the process was that seat frames are not built to fine furniture standards. I fixed a lot of things I didn't think were right on the original seats (like angles that didn't seem to match up perfectly and panels that didn't quite meet up). I'm positive that I wasted my time building the seat frames so well. Rough something together, have someone cover them for you, and let the vinyl hide your chain saw carpentry.
I wouldn't be afraid to take it on yourself. It's not hard. :cool:
WOW...Brown bein' all serious and shit...:D