PDA

View Full Version : Got her wet, finally.

INEEDAV
08-05-2004, 06:55 AM
I finally got to run the boat, had one hell of a good time. Only got to have it out for a few hours though, storm rolled in on me. Was close to running out of fuel anyway, race gas is a little tough to procure in SE Kansas.
I am still having problems getting the engine to idle much below 1500 rpm. Had the carbs on and off a few times trying to get the secondaries cracked open to allow some more air in so I could close the primaries so I was on the transfer slots. No real help there, couldn't get the idle to react much to the idle screws either. Need more time with it.
I even tried holding the carbs over the water and threatening to drown them and go injection, didn't seem to help either.:D
I will update this when I get it back in the water and get it running how I want it. We are living in a motel in the mountains until I get transferred to my new job, so the boat is in storage in Oklahoma, I miss it already :frown: .

Snowboat
08-05-2004, 07:24 AM
Did you scare yourself? How many r's? Take a set? Buy a jock yet?

INEEDAV
08-05-2004, 07:34 AM
Of course I scared myself. I only ran it sustained to about 4500 rpm, don't know how fast that is, there is still quite a bit there that rpm just felt good for now. Luckily I forgot my balls in Courtney's purse, so I don't need a jock yet. The seat actually fits me pretty well, not much bouncing around in it. Never really tried to bring it up real fast and set it. Just easing into it until I am little more used to it. I can tell when it is getting out of the water though, it takes off like a mashed cat.
I ran it in the strip pits in SEK, the longest stretch I could run was about a mile and then a 90 turn. The water was flat though, which was really a bonus when I was out with the carbs off the motor floating around. If I can not get it to idle right in the next few trips out it will have stack injectors on it.

V-Drive Tom
08-05-2004, 07:56 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! BILLY.... Glad you finaly got to feel the good vibration!! Your going to have fun making it work just right. TOM..

Snowboat
08-05-2004, 07:57 AM
Fool with these calculators. Figure the slip to be more, rather than less. The lowest I could get that cam to idle is 950 to 1050, in gear. Any fuel dribbling in when you look in the throat? Took Justin (back from Iraq) out yesterday.

INEEDAV
08-05-2004, 08:08 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! BILLY.... Glad you finaly got to feel the good vibration!! Your going to have fun making it work just right. TOM..
Thanks Tom.
Ken
I am glad to here Justin is home.
There is not any fuel coming out of the booster while it is idling, at least not that I can see. With the cam and tunnel ram and resulting lack of idle vacuum, I am wondering if maybe the pv's are opening at idle. They are 6.5's now, I need to make a port and put a vacuum gauge on it to see what I need for pv's. If I have to I can deal with a high idle this summer, I am hoping to go blown alky this winter, the tuning sounds to be so much easier, especially with the resources we have here on the boards.

Hud
08-05-2004, 08:09 AM
Billy, glad to here you got to drive the boat. On the injection, put a hat on the tunnel ram, I think you would be a lot better off than the stacks! C'mon!

INEEDAV
08-05-2004, 08:13 AM
I need to take a minute and thank everyone on here for your help, support, and input. This forum has been instrumental to me getting the boat put together.
There a few of you that have truly been great to me with information and help.
Fiat48, thanks for everything you have done. With all the question and such I have asked I am surprised you do not ignore my pm's and postings. There is no way I would have ever gotten this done without your help.
Snowboat, I am not sure If I should thank you or hunt you down for taking me out in the Beismeyer, got a bad bug from that ride. Thanks for all the info as well.
V-Drive Tom, Thank you for all the help with the v-drive. The time you spent on the phone is much appreciated.

INEEDAV
08-05-2004, 08:14 AM
Billy, glad to here you got to drive the boat. On the injection, put a hat on the tunnel ram, I think you would be a lot better off than the stacks! C'mon!
Not a bad idea since I will need a hat for the blower anyway:D. Thanks.

Snowboat
08-05-2004, 08:17 AM
I don't think you need PV's in something that light. There will be a lot less fooling around if you block them off. Your fuel economy will come from the 2 1/2 gallon can you'll carry for emergencies.

INEEDAV
08-05-2004, 08:27 AM
I don't think you need PV's in something that light. There will be a lot less fooling around if you block them off. Your fuel economy will come from the 2 1/2 gallon can you'll carry for emergencies.
I know you mentioned in your tr setup you had no power valves. I had that paper with your setup on it here in my office somewhere, I must of eaten in though. What were you for jets, shooters, and acc pump cam setup?

Snowboat
08-05-2004, 09:00 AM
50 cc pumps, all around
Spring loaded off road needles and seats
Primary jets 68
Secondary jets 72
Primary shooter 31
Secondary shooter 25
Primary and secondary cams, green in the second hole
Jet extensions
Large needle and seat assy, not round hole, I forget which size.
This is at 4500' elevation. Watch your plugs, but this wasn't lean mean.
Could not get rid of a little bog without the 50 cc pumps, no matter what I did to the shooters.
Heading to Cheyenne to look at a campground for sale. Talk to you in 36 hours. Ken.

INEEDAV
08-05-2004, 09:09 AM
Going to Cheyenne you are only 2.5 hours from me, ought to come on down. I have VIP passes to a wonderful little club in the Springs.
50 cc pumps, all around
Spring loaded off road needles and seats
Primary jets 68
Secondary jets 72
Primary shooter 31
Secondary shooter 25
Primary and secondary cams, green in the second hole
Jet extensions
Large needle and seat assy, not round hole, I forget which size.
This is at 4500' elevation. Watch your plugs, but this wasn't lean mean.
Could not get rid of a little bog without the 50 cc pumps, no matter what I did to the shooters.
Heading to Cheyenne to look at a campground for sale. Talk to you in 36 hours. Ken.

78Eliminator
08-05-2004, 10:46 AM
Damn you Billy!!! We need some picures here!!!!

INEEDAV
08-05-2004, 11:00 AM
Damn you Billy!!! We need some picures here!!!!
No pictures. I went out by myself. I will get some the next time I have it out.

78Eliminator
08-05-2004, 11:49 AM
You know I am going to hold you to it!! :D

Morg
08-05-2004, 06:46 PM
Congrats Billy,
We need pics. Start planning your trip out for Needles & fathers day.

INEEDAV
08-06-2004, 05:05 AM
Congrats Billy,
We need pics. Start planning your trip out for Needles & fathers day.
Thanks Morg.
I hope that I can make it out to Needles next year. It will be a two day trip by that time though, from Moline, IL to Needles looks like about 1789 miles. Guess I will have to make a week of it :idea:.
I will get pics when I go out the next time for sure.

INEEDAV
08-09-2004, 03:48 PM
After watching that video of Guru I went to my boss and whined about how since I am moving and all I will not get to run my boat much this season. He either finally bought it or got sick of the whining, but he told me to take off the rest of the week and "work" from home. I am driving back to Kansas tomorrow and will have the rest of the week to play with the boat. Hopefully I can get Courtney to go out with me and take some pictures.
Hopefully I can get it lined out and running how I want it, wish me luck. :)

INEEDAV
08-12-2004, 04:33 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/169000_0552resize.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/169000_0553resize-med.JPG
Still having trouble getting the idle down, to idle in gear at 1200, it wants to idle out of gear real high. Had it pop back once while accelerating hard, looking at going to 50cc acc. pumps to take care of that. Seems like I might be a little lean towards the top as well, may try a little bigger jets and check the plugs after a run.
I can already see that the seat is too far forward, left leg is still skaking from holding the pedal down. 6'4" all crouched up makes for a lot of work to hold the pedal down partially when cruising.
I also found out that to have a boat on the Mined Land Wildlife area you have to be fishing or hunting. Game warder was nice and told me to get a fishing pole in the boat if I was gonna run it there.
Pulling the carbs tonight to put in different PV's, and bump the jets up a little. Going back out tomorrow.

INEEDAV
08-13-2004, 06:34 AM
New powervalves are in, waiting on jets till I can get it lined up for a better run to look at the plugs after a run. Trying to line someone up to go take pictures of the boat underway.
put a cane pole in the boat to satisfy the game warden :D , so it is time to head for the water.

78Eliminator
08-13-2004, 10:26 AM
Finally Billy!!!! Nice pictures man! Did you back off the butterflys for the idle? What carbs do you have? If you have four corner idle adjustments, it sounds like you are just letting to much fuel go down the tubes....

INEEDAV
08-13-2004, 12:27 PM
Finally Billy!!!! Nice pictures man! Did you back off the butterflys for the idle? What carbs do you have? If you have four corner idle adjustments, it sounds like you are just letting to much fuel go down the tubes....
To try to help the idle out I have drilled holes in the butterfly's, cracked the secondaries a little to let air in. The screws are 1.25 turns out right now, there is no real effect when turning them. Primaries are all but closed to stay on the transfer slot. I think the power valves may have been opening at idle which ay have been causing my problems, I am heading to the pits right now to test. Wish me luck, hopefully it helps.
Billy

Infomaniac
08-13-2004, 06:28 PM
You need to jet way up on a tunnel ram deal like that. They give a very poor vac signal to the carbs. Also a ton of squiter to get the fuel all the way down to the engine when accelerating. You might have to drill them yourself. If you do not want to remove the powervalves get a vac gage on it so you know for sure what size to get.

INEEDAV
08-13-2004, 06:56 PM
You need to jet way up on a tunnel ram deal like that. They give a very poor vac signal to the carbs. Also a ton of squiter to get the fuel all the way down to the engine when accelerating. You might have to drill them yourself. If you do not want to remove the powervalves get a vac gage on it so you know for sure what size to get.
Thanks for the advice Ron. I definitely need something for acceleration, I figure I am going to have to go to 50cc acc. pumps. I will get bigger squirters as well. If I do not get the idle issue worked out soon the carbs are gonna get canned and I am ordering a hat for it.
Weather permitting I am taking it out tomorrow, I will pull the squirters and open them up in the morning, I have drill bits for pilot orifices so I can step it up just a little at a time.
For anyone interested I put up a pass at 89 mph, still have throttle left and need to let off the down pedal a lot, couldn't make myself look at the tach to see rpms. Still got a ton to learn on driving, just need more time.

Fiat48
08-14-2004, 01:08 AM
What power valve do you have in it now?
What altitude are you running at approximately?
Are idle mixture screws responsive...or do they feel like no difference?
Is the timing quick? You need as much inital advance as will let you start. At least 18 degrees initial timing and 38 to 40 total. Lightest tension and quickest curve you can put in it. The camshaft is big and you have to have cylinder pressure and timing to cover it up.
It will idle but you gotta work at it.
Damn I been busy and whole layout here has changed. :jawdrop:

INEEDAV
08-14-2004, 08:02 AM
I have 4.5 powervalves in it. I readjusted the secondary stops. I am getting more control with the idle screws, I am getting closer I think. I found a gasket on the tunnel ram top that had pushed out and was leaking I think. Getting ready to run it again in just a little bit to see what I have.
4.5 PV's
800' 72degrees 40% humidity, today only then back to 85degrees and 70% humidity. Timing is 40 total, it is coming in at what I am getting it to idle at right now, so my initial should be 18, with 22 in the distibutor. I am idling out of gear now at 1600 and in gear at about 1350 or so.
I should have running pictures tomorrow, Courtney is suppose to go out with me for awhile.
What power valve do you have in it now?
What altitude are you running at approximately?
Are idle mixture screws responsive...or do they feel like no difference?
Is the timing quick? You need as much inital advance as will let you start. At least 18 degrees initial timing and 38 to 40 total. Lightest tension and quickest curve you can put in it. The camshaft is big and you have to have cylinder pressure and timing to cover it up.
It will idle but you gotta work at it.
Damn I been busy and whole layout here has changed. :jawdrop:

Snowboat
08-14-2004, 09:11 AM
Don't try to impress her. Keep the wing up where she can see it.
The judge ruled in favor of Arch, will know by close of business on Tuesday. Later.

Fiat48
08-14-2004, 12:17 PM
4.5 pretty low. Might cause a hesitation. It would really help to throw a vacuum gauge on it.
Should be able to get 1000 to 1200 rpm idle.

INEEDAV
08-14-2004, 05:31 PM
4.5 pretty low. Might cause a hesitation. It would really help to throw a vacuum gauge on it.
Should be able to get 1000 to 1200 rpm idle.
I am gonna have to drill a port for vacuum, not one I can find on it. I may be nuts, who knows.
Ran pretty good today, idling in gear at 1100, good for now.
I have a small video to post, but I do not have a good enough internet connection to get it posted, times out on me before it is done. Someone willing to host it for me? it is 2.5meg. If so let me know and I will email it to you.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/169000_0558resize.JPG
Have more pictures later when I get the cd from my wife.

INEEDAV
08-14-2004, 05:33 PM
Don't try to impress her. Keep the wing up where she can see it.
The judge ruled in favor of Arch, will know by close of business on Tuesday. Later.
Wing up, got it. I do not think I could impress her with the boat, unless I sold it for what I have in it. :rollside:
Keep me updated on the sale and whats going on.

INEEDAV
08-15-2004, 01:22 PM
Here are some more pics from yesterday......
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/16920_resize-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/16921_resize-med.jpg
Still have not gotten to a internet connection that is fast enought to load my movie without timing out. I will post it when I can.