PDA

View Full Version : Sheriff's office sees sharp increase in OUIs

nodigg
08-05-2004, 07:03 AM
BY MARK HALL
Wednesday, August 4, 2004 11:13 PM MDT
Mohave County Sheriff's Office this year has already exceeded the number of operating under the influence citations it issued in 2003, a lieutenant said Wednesday.
Lt. Randy Johnson said through June deputies on Lake Havasu issued 46 OUI citations.
Johnson said the high totals are not necessarily reflective of a more proactive approach by deputies, but because of the low occurrence of major boating accidents and fatalities this year, and increased visitation to the lake.
"It's been a lot. In fact, that's equal to last year's total," he said. "What's helped over the two holiday weekends (Memorial Day and the Fourth of July) was we haven't had a lot of accidents."
In past years Johnson said high accident totals redirected deputies to perform associated investigations, instead of performing routine patrols on the lake.
So far, the office has only investigated one fatal accident, which occurred in early July after Roy Addington, 28, of Sandy, Utah, was ejected from a boat off the shore of Crazy Horse Beach. Authorities believed alcohol was a factor in the accident.
Additionally, the office's records through June showed that personnel responded to 23 minor boating accidents and 13 injury accidents.
According to Today's News-Herald records, there have been three other boat-related deaths on the lake this year, which fell under the jurisdiction of the San Bernardino Sheriff's Department. All are believed to have been alcohol-related.
One accident resulted in the death of Steven Patchett, 48, and his 10-year-old son, Tyler, both of Simi Valley, Calif. The accident occurred after the boat the victims were on collided head-on with another boat, near Havasu Springs.
The third death took place last weekend, resulting in the death of Lance Furman, 32, of Norco, Calif., after the boat he was driving was struck by another boat near Havasu Landing Marina.
You may contact the reporter at mhall@havasunews.com.
Victim's mother thanks community for its support

SHOCKWAVETOM
08-05-2004, 08:03 AM
BY MARK HALL
Wednesday, August 4, 2004 11:13 PM MDT
Mohave County Sheriff's Office this year has already exceeded the number of operating under the influence citations it issued in 2003, a lieutenant said Wednesday.
Lt. Randy Johnson said through June deputies on Lake Havasu issued 46 OUI citations.
Johnson said the high totals are not necessarily reflective of a more proactive approach by deputies, but because of the low occurrence of major boating accidents and fatalities this year, and increased visitation to the lake.
"It's been a lot. In fact, that's equal to last year's total," he said. "What's helped over the two holiday weekends (Memorial Day and the Fourth of July) was we haven't had a lot of accidents."
In past years Johnson said high accident totals redirected deputies to perform associated investigations, instead of performing routine patrols on the lake.
So far, the office has only investigated one fatal accident, which occurred in early July after Roy Addington, 28, of Sandy, Utah, was ejected from a boat off the shore of Crazy Horse Beach. Authorities believed alcohol was a factor in the accident.
Additionally, the office's records through June showed that personnel responded to 23 minor boating accidents and 13 injury accidents.
According to Today's News-Herald records, there have been three other boat-related deaths on the lake this year, which fell under the jurisdiction of the San Bernardino Sheriff's Department. All are believed to have been alcohol-related.
One accident resulted in the death of Steven Patchett, 48, and his 10-year-old son, Tyler, both of Simi Valley, Calif. The accident occurred after the boat the victims were on collided head-on with another boat, near Havasu Springs.
The third death took place last weekend, resulting in the death of Lance Furman, 32, of Norco, Calif., after the boat he was driving was struck by another boat near Havasu Landing Marina.
Victim's mother thanks community for its support
Here was the rest of that article:
BY MARK HALL
The mother of a California man who died in a boating collision last weekend said she's received an outpouring of public support from Lake Havasu City residents.
Rollene Williamson, who has lived in Lake Havasu City for three years, said Wednesday she has received condolences from many people that she knows, and people she doesn't know. Her son, Lance Furman, 32, of Norco, died Saturday after the boat he was driving was struck by another boat.
"I can't tell you the support from the people here," she said. "It's been amazing."
While Williamson struggles to deal with the death of her son, she is anxiously waiting news about her grandson, Nicholas, 11, who was critically injured in the collision and was still being treated Wednesday in the intensive care unit at University Medical Center in Las Vegas.
It's been hard, she said, because a family feud has limited her access to the hospital.
"I can't even get into the hospital to see my grandson, and I'm not leaving until I see him," she said. "I have grandparents' rights."
A boat allegedly driven by William Wayne Anno, 35, of Downey, Calif., struck the Furmans' boat. Wendy Furman, 33, Lance's wife, was also seriously injured in the wreck. The couple's two youngest children were uninjured, authorities said.
San Bernardino Sheriff's Office arrested Anno and charged him with manslaughter involving a vehicle and boating under the influence with injury.
The collision is still under investigation.

nodigg
08-05-2004, 08:33 AM
Thanks Tom, just realized I did not get the whole thing! There are just so many boaters out here...more every day.....what the heck are we gonna do? Used to be you came to the river to get away form the crowds that you found on So Cal lakes. Its getting harder and harder to escape when you feel like it. Hope Powell fills back up soon!

SHOCKWAVETOM
08-05-2004, 08:38 AM
Thanks Tom, just realized I did not get the whole thing! There are just so many boaters out here...more every day.....what the heck are we gonna do? Used to be you came to the river to get away form the crowds that you found on So Cal lakes. Its getting harder and harder to escape when you feel like it. Hope Powell fills back up soon!
You know...that probably is contributing to some of this. Smaller area to boat and all. Throw in the fact that people have used the housing boom to purchase the new boats combined with little experience and you have accidents and congestion. Of course the alcohol component does make things a lot more scary while boating.
Part of the solution for the locals would be to get out on the lake during the week.

Mr.Havasu
08-05-2004, 08:44 AM
no kidding, It's not the serene place it use to be. Although it still is a fun place to get together and meet other board members, many of which are now our dear friends. But if you want peace and quite you almost need to find a bigger lake.

Mrs. casean
08-05-2004, 08:45 AM
Shockwavetom,
Good point... I have thought about that a time or two as a contribution to the problems out there... But when the housing market starts to take a shit, bye bye big boats for some... and maybe to some of the accidents caused by ignorant drivers... who knows though... there are pleanty of stupid people out there regardless. The small space doesn't help though.

SHOCKWAVETOM
08-05-2004, 09:06 AM
Shockwavetom,
Good point... I have thought about that a time or two as a contribution to the problems out there... But when the housing market starts to take a shit, bye bye big boats for some... and maybe to some of the accidents caused by ignorant drivers... who knows though... there are pleanty of stupid people out there regardless. The small space doesn't help though.
I agree with you totally