PDA

View Full Version : synthetic oil or slick 50

BigDaddy
08-25-2001, 09:42 AM
hey I am wondering if any one has had any Problems with synthetic oil or slick 50 in 455 olds or any application as long as it is in a Jet boat or v-8 powered Boat and the pros and cons and is it worth it I use it in my Race car Butt dont know if i should in my Boat or use Royal Purple Please coment or leave any question or reply Thanx.
BigDaDDy

GN2RVER
08-25-2001, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by BigDaddy:
hey I am wondering if any one has had any Problems with synthetic oil or slick 50 in 455 olds or any application as long as it is in a Jet boat or v-8 powered Boat and the pros and cons and is it worth it I use it in my Race car Butt dont know if i should in my Boat or use Royal Purple Please coment or leave any question or reply Thanx.
BigDaDDy
Been using 10w30 Mobil 1 Sythetic in my 454 BBC. Works fine.

Chestah Cheetah
08-25-2001, 10:59 AM
Having my 455 put back together this week and I plan on using Mobil 1 synthetic, been hearing good stuff about it.

Oldsquirt
08-25-2001, 11:03 AM
CC, make sure you break the engine in with regular oil, not the synthetic. Put the synthetic in at first oil change.

Chestah Cheetah
08-25-2001, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the tip Oldsquirt! We're also gonna install Mondello's oil restrictors like you advised before. As far as break in, any tips?
Where are you located? You coming out to Copper Castaic on Sunday? I'm stenciling your name on 12er.
[This message has been edited by Chestah Cheetah (edited August 25, 2001).]

jet496
08-25-2001, 01:56 PM
I heard from a pro, who used to work in the oil industry, that you should use a synthetic blend if you already had regular oil in your motor. He recommended a Valvoline 10-40 synthetic blend. Don't know if it matters, but that's what I use at this point. I've also heard nothing but good things about Mobil 1.

BigDaddy
08-25-2001, 11:23 PM
Cool I have had lots of luck in Race cars with Synthetic Oil and in other Boats and it is a good Idea to Braek it in good like Two Oil Changes at least Before Putting in The None friction Type Oil or Synthetic Oils. I am thinking of using that Royal Purple I have used Torco Oil and have Had real Good luck with it Becouse of the Zinc Blend That they use for the friction reducer Butt I dont Know That it matters what Kind Just as long as it reduces the friction and doesnt break Down like conventional Oils do Under stress and or Heated Conditions any way Thanx everyone and Keep on Jetten or just Keep on Floaten.
BigDaDDy

best1syn2oil
10-03-2001, 04:23 PM
It may be wise to check the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) website regarding sanctions against many manufacturers of oil "treatments" . It's not a pretty picture at all. A premium synthetic has all the necessary ingredients in it. When mixed with the products mentioned(many of which contain chlorine compounds)there can be a disagreement between chemicals to say the least. This cannot be good for anyone's investment.

nastyhabit
10-03-2001, 06:24 PM
oldsquirt is right about break in , but synthetic is a wast of time you still have to change it the same amount its a boat not a car it runs at high rpm almost 100% of the time in my old 18ft squirt 455 mondello moter 450 hp i ran strait 50 weight,in nasty i run strait 60 weight val racing oil 750 hp and shes 8 years old just turn key and go. a 350 hp moter is just the same call some JETBOAT moter builders to find out, not car people---nasty

Old Charger
10-03-2001, 06:45 PM
I think I was reading it in one of the tech articles in Hot Boat....
Synthetic in a boat is probably a bad idea. Inherently, synthetic is super slippery. Thus it tends to slip into oil pan over a period of time. Overnight, such as in cars isn't a problem. But since you dont drive your boat as often, you would be leaving your engine vulnerable to heavy wear at start up.
Now, this is just something I read, but sounds like a very sound theory. I personally love that synthetic stuff. Mobil 1 is the shizznit. Yes, if your very anal, you'll be changing every 3000 like you should. But if yer like me, lazy, synthetic will last alot longer before viscosity break down, especially in high revving applications such as boats, jets inparticular.
Hey look.... I just found 2 pennies... http://free.***boat.net/ubb/rolleyes.gif
[This message has been edited by Old Charger (edited October 03, 2001).]

wrightnow
10-03-2001, 09:02 PM
I was told that synthetic oil does not have any properties to prevent rusting, so not recomended for a boat. I dont know how true this is, but I have stayed away from synthetic oil for that reason.

moomba
10-04-2001, 04:19 AM
I read the same article. Synthetics are great in cars, but not boats. Corrosion is a big factor as is the extra load. Use a straight weight racing oil like Valvoline or Kendall.

custom-cruiser
10-04-2001, 05:55 AM
In the new Powerboat mag. Bob Teague says synthetic is ok for boats as long as you use a high viscosity like 20-50. The hotter the weather the thicker the oil you need to run. He said DO NOT USE 10-30 SYNTHETIC in a boat application it gets to thin and not enough protection. Redline won in their non scientific shootout. If you use conventional oil you need to run a straight weight,the hotter the thicker.... http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

lakecrazy
10-04-2001, 08:23 AM
Hey Big D, Whats happenin??
I use 20-50 synthetic blend Castrol with zero problems.

rivercrazy
10-04-2001, 08:33 AM
I've been using synthetic in my 454mag jet boat since 100 hours. It now has 310 hours. I wouldn't go back to conventional oil. The benefits are great. Higher oil pressure when hot and great protection all the way around. I've heard the Syn oil actually bonds to metal engine parts so wear at start up is reduced over regular oil. If your really worried about wear at start up either take the coil wire off and crank the motor for a few seconds or get a pre-oiler.
To me the only bad thing about Syn oil is the high cost. However to me rebuilding a boat motor is both expensive and takes you off the water for too long....
CC when you break in the motor, constantly vary your rpm for the first 10 hours. Don't gun it for sustained runs. Short spurts are OK after a few hours. Change the oil after a few hours and then again at 10 hours. Then hammer away (except with that olds don't run at WOT for over 10-15 seconds at a time).

rivercrazy
10-04-2001, 08:35 AM
Oh and by the way. DO NOT use any oil additive. Especially Slick 50 or Prolong. Slick 50 will reduces the clearances between bearings and moving parts and has Chlorine in it. Prolong was responsible for spun main and cam bearings in a motor I used it in.

SeaSlut
10-04-2001, 06:44 PM
$.02
My olds loves synthetic. seems to run better, higher oil pressure, I think it even get better mpg. I use either castrol or Mobil 1. Both 10-30.
I'm running Royal Purple in my Harley and have picked up 2mpg. I might use in the boat next season.
I don't think an open cooling system would benefit from the higher viscsity oils though becuase of the more effective heat transfer.