PDA

View Full Version : Hot Intake Manifold

Hawaiian
07-05-2001, 03:01 PM
I'm running scj heads, and a stealth intake. The heads are bolted to log exhaust, made for a 460 (the exhaust ports are mismatched, the exhaust manifolds are smaller than the heads)
I'm have a cooling problem it runns now between 160 at full throttle and 210 at cruising. The is with the adjustable valve wide open. When I hook A hose up in will only come down to 150 degrees.
The intake manifold get real hot but the heads can be touched and the motor is running cool.
Is anyone else running this set up having this problem. Last year I had the same set up and I could get it to 100 degrees or so with a hose from the house.
Any help would be greatly accepted as I'm going crazy trying to figure this out.
I put all clear hoses on and the water is flowing from the pump good. The pump will fill the boat with water when disconnected. The pump is tight.

mister460
07-05-2001, 03:34 PM
160-210 is the perfect temp for a motor to run at! The manifold will usually be pretty hot cause of the crossover. Are your manifolds aluminum? If so it would be really easy to open up the ports with a die grinder. If your motor ran any cooler than 160 I'd be restricting the water flow to get the temp up. Cold motors like to eat gas like it's cool. Not a whole lot of power either. I'd keep your setup just how it is. And to be sure nothings wrong, flush the block with a garden hose, exhaust water lines off. Just to be sure there's no sand in the block.

Oldsquirt
07-05-2001, 03:43 PM
Hawaiian, I see you are still having a problem. By chance did you make any changes to boat/engine since last year?

Hawaiian
07-05-2001, 03:53 PM
None
I only removed the right side exhaust and put back on!
Also mr460 its the exhaust that does'nt match (the exhuast manifold is smaller than the ports on the exhaust side of the head.
[This message has been edited by Hawaiian (edited July 05, 2001).]
[This message has been edited by Hawaiian (edited July 05, 2001).]