PDA

View Full Version : This will piss you off

Desert Rat
08-05-2004, 02:26 PM
Woman Sues After Being Fired For Eating Pork At Work
POSTED: 7:40 am EDT August 5, 2004
ORLANDO, Fla. -- A woman is suing her former employer, a telecommunications firm with Muslim workers and clients, claiming she was fired because she ate pork products in the company lunchroom.
Pork is unclean, according to Islamic beliefs, and Rising Star Telecommunications CEO Kujaatele Kweli said his company has a policy against openly eating or preparing the meat.
But the attorney for Lina Morales, an administrative assistant fired in March 2003, said the company admits there is no written policy against pork. And when Morales complained she was being disciplined for a policy of which she was unaware, she was fired for insubordination.
"If it's a religiously-motivated policy that impinges on other people's rights, we're arguing that's de facto discrimination," attorney Travis Hollifield said Wednesday. The case, filed earlier this year in Orange County, currently is in the discovery process and there is no indication when it will go to trial.
Rising Star, which works on television productions and Internet filters, hired Morales during the summer of 2002 and both sides agree she quickly became a quality employee.
It wasn't until 10 months later that Morales ran afoul of Rising Star's no-pork policy, when she brought into the lunchroom a pizza with meat.
Morales was warned, Kweli said, that she was violating a policy verbally announced to employees during their orientation. However, she then brought pork products into the building another two times. The last instance, she prepared bacon in a company microwave for a BLT sandwich.
"I think she was trying to make a statement," Kweli said.

91nordic29
08-05-2004, 02:29 PM
she was tryin' to make her lunch! :confused:

Desert Rat
08-05-2004, 02:32 PM
I hope this Kujaatele Kweli dick head gets it broke off in him big time. Sheezzz now you can't eat pork because in offends the Muslums? Hell the ones I have worked with should have been fired for lack of higene!!! :burningm:

Drunk tank
08-05-2004, 02:37 PM
Thats pure bullshit! I hope she takes them to the cleaners for that. firing someone for what they eat? If I ate a ham sandwich or a peperonni pizza it has absolutly no bearing on anything! I think the3 worst part about that is it almost sounds liek theyre firing her beacause she's not muslim.... like religious racism in essence. If I remember correctly we have this little thing called the constitution... and it happens to say some stuff about freedom of religion. Seems not many people care about that item now days despite our country being founded on it. :mad: BTW, I sent that to some of my turkish friends who are Muslim... they believe its completly wrong what the company did (they dont cuss as much as I do) as well

ROZ
08-05-2004, 02:44 PM
If she was aware of the policy when she was hired and broke it receiving several warnings, then she got what she deserved.
Our company has a dress policy. People have been fired for disobeying it....

Desert Rat
08-05-2004, 02:50 PM
Bull sh*t Eating pizza gets you fired? Bacon? This PC crap and the people who defend it to the death SUCK!!!!!!

ROZ
08-05-2004, 03:09 PM
Bull sh*t Eating pizza gets you fired? Bacon? This PC crap and the people who defend it to the death SUCK!!!!!!
Ehs should have had a bbq chicken pizza from uno's... ;)
I don't think it had anything to do with pc. They have a policy that she broke repeatidly. They burned her....
We have a no personal email or internet policy. I could be fired for it...

Jeanyus
08-05-2004, 03:09 PM
In America, you don't have the right, as an employer, to force your religios beliefs on your employees. If the lady got fired for eating pork, because muslims beleive pork is un clean, she is going to win the law suit.

ROZ
08-05-2004, 03:12 PM
In America, you don't have the right, as an employer, to force your religios beliefs on your employees. If the lady got fired for eating pork, because muslims beleive pork is un clean, she is going to win the law suit.
So if I happen to be Jewish and got fired for wearing an I killed Jesus t-shirt, could I sue my employer eventhough there is a dress policy?
Also, it does say openly eating or preparing pork. She could have eaten it in her cubicle or office.... I have a fridge and Microwave in my immediate area :D

Jeanyus
08-05-2004, 03:17 PM
I don't know. ask the ACLU. Violating a dress code is one thing, violating the pork code is another.

totenhosen
08-05-2004, 03:18 PM
If she was aware of the policy when she was hired and broke it receiving several warnings, then she got what she deserved.
Our company has a dress policy. People have been fired for disobeying it....
Apples to oranges there. It's more like reverse religious discrimination. If a company has a dress code that says no scarves or anything on your head can be worn I guarantee you that if a Muslim came to your company and got fired for wearing a turban or ??? the ACLU and etc would be all over the company.

Ducatista
08-05-2004, 03:21 PM
The company's policy is in fact illegal, she has good grounds to sue the towel heads.

ROZ
08-05-2004, 03:32 PM
You guys suck. I'm tryied to stir the pot and got nuthin' :yuk: Guess I'll leave the trolling to Lake Pirate :D
She should take them for all they have :D
My thoughts are along the line of totalhosen's and Forensic's....

Jeanyus
08-05-2004, 03:34 PM
You guys suck. I'm tryied to stir the pot and got nuthin' :yuk: Guess I'll leave the trolling to Lake Pirate :D
What is the definition of tryied

ROZ
08-05-2004, 03:43 PM
What is the definition of tryied
I'm just a dumb guy at a computer. You're the Jeanyus, please tell us what it means :D

DogHouse
08-05-2004, 03:44 PM
I hope this Kujaatele Kweli dick head gets it broke off in him big time. Sheezzz now you can't eat pork because in offends the Muslums? Hell the ones I have worked with should have been fired for lack of higene!!! :burningm:
Yeah no sh!t, LOL! We also work with many folks from India, and to a large extent they seem to share the same hygiene problem! :yuk:
:)

Jeanyus
08-05-2004, 03:46 PM
Websters II
Tryied, verb, I have attended publik skools in the USA.

73kona455
08-05-2004, 03:47 PM
most peoples lunch hour is their own time.... how can they tell you what to do on your own time?.. maybe it was against her religion to eat anything but pork?..

Big_Gunz_
08-05-2004, 03:48 PM
If you were trying to stir the pot, was there any pork in there? If so, YOUR FIRED!!!!! :D :pig_flyi:

waterslinger
08-05-2004, 04:57 PM
Men I have had it with the rag heads.
Send every one back to the sand box they come from.
As a poor old white boy I have no rights.
When in Rome do as the Romans or get fed to the lions.