PDA

View Full Version : Motor question???

summerlove
08-05-2004, 03:24 PM
I currently have a 1989 Mercruiser 7.4 with 330HP. The engine has about 350 hours on it and it is perfectly maintained and is without any problems. I am in the process of possibly upgrading and considering using my existing block as a starting point. First off, is there a market for my complete engine if I were to sell it? And if so, how much?
Second, is my block ok to use as a platform and build to just under 500 hp?
Thanks. I'm not a wrench head so I appreciate your input.

1BIGJIM
08-06-2004, 06:12 AM
I just rebuilt my 89 330HP this winter. As long as you keep it under 500HP you should be fine using the cast crank and rods. It has the small oval heads that will need to be swamped to do anything worth while. Dennis Moore's BBC marine engines book has alot of examples. I find myself reading it all the time. What I would do over again. Alum heads and roller cam. I put on a set of 781 large ovals and by the time I got done I could have bought a brand new set. I would have went to a blower but the wife did not want a hole in her sun deck :frown:

Just Tool'n
08-06-2004, 07:00 AM
I redid my motor over the winter. Bore the 454 to .060 over, new scat crank & rods, new merlin heads, the old ones had a crack in one of the seats.
Bought a used whipple charger, off of a 502MPI, c/w manifold injectors & harness & computer.
The only thing I really used was the old block & all of the assc. parts like alt, starter water pump.
The thing really moves now.

summerlove
08-06-2004, 09:08 AM
That's great! Thanks. I was concerned about the "low end" (as in bottom of the line quality) but I feel better knowing that I can salvage the block. Reusing all the standard parts/accesories is also beneficial. I really appreciate the input.
Rick