PDA

View Full Version : only getting 3100 rpm's?

455baby
08-05-2004, 03:58 PM
i have a 25 foot sleekcraft with the juccuzzi energizer pump pusshing it with a 455 olds over 0.60, torker intake, 750 cfm carb. not to sure of the pistons or cam but i was told it had new rings and pistons and a cam.
the only thing is i can only get 3100 max rpm's? I called american turbine and asked them if it was my pump they said NO. i have the AA impeller so it's a tight pump, they said something was wrong with the motor? but what?
any help would be great. remind you we just put this thing together after 3 yrs and the motor sat for that long.

sleekvino
08-05-2004, 04:14 PM
do a leak down test on your motor to see if they hold pressure.if they do then it could be your timing gears could be off,i know because it happened to me.what you can do to check this is bring your #1 piston to top dead ctr. and your timing mark should line up to zero.

455baby
08-05-2004, 04:21 PM
do a leak down test on your motor to see if they hold pressure.if they do then it could be your timing gears could be off,i know because it happened to me.what you can do to check this is bring your #1 piston to top dead ctr. and your timing mark should line up to zero.
Like a compression test?
Would you still do this on a point less distributor?
Thanks

Challenged Pimp
08-05-2004, 04:26 PM
Like a compression test?
Would you still do this on a point less distributor?
Thanks
Yeah do a compression test, and check that timing. Electronic or points, doesn't matter if the timing gears are off.
Also, check and make sure your secondaries are kicking in on the carb.......

455baby
08-05-2004, 04:34 PM
Yeah do a compression test, and check that timing. Electronic or points, doesn't matter if the timing gears are off.
Also, check and make sure your secondaries are kicking in on the carb.......
Thanks i will have this done this weekend.
Other people said to change my heads and by the edlebrock heads?

sleekvino
08-05-2004, 04:38 PM
dont spend the money on the heads thats not what would be holding you back unless you had a bad valve or a crack in your heads.i doubt it ,whenyou do your test youll know if its a bad cylinder by the low reading.my motor has about 185lbs. :rolleyes:

455baby
08-05-2004, 04:48 PM
dont spend the money on the heads thats not what would be holding you back unless you had a bad valve or a crack in your heads.i doubt it ,whenyou do your test youll know if its a bad cylinder by the low reading.my motor has about 185lbs. :rolleyes:
Yeah i knew he was telling be BS but i wasnt for sure on what to do.....Do u have an 455 olds?

XClutchboy725
08-05-2004, 05:08 PM
Whoa...Whoa.......wait a minute!
Did you say AA impeller? That's one hell of a steep gear to be pullin' with that motor!
I turn an Agressor A-B 5800 RPM with I would guess around 650hp. I don't think you're making that kind of power...
It sounds like you need somewhere between a B or a C, but what do I know?

Floored
08-05-2004, 05:09 PM
I wouldn't buy E-brock heads for the world. they had a chance to make a wonderful Hi-perf head and went marginally better than a stock C head. whoopeee!!! for that much money? B.S. make sure your tune-up is dead on and compression is good and even and as was suggested make sure secondaries are opening. my olds turns a AA 4700 in an 18 ft boat and I slightly detuned it for family and skiing. I'm waiting for results on the new Bulldog heads for olds, a wait and see thing. :pigfly:

sleekvino
08-05-2004, 05:11 PM
ya i have an 18ft.sleekcraft with a 455 boared .60,with keith black pistons a engle cam ,performer manifold and a holley 750 dbl pumper.it has a berkely pump with a place diverter.it revs at 4750 +at 62.8 mph for now

Heatseeker
08-05-2004, 05:45 PM
I think your 455 should turn the AA a little more than 3100 RPM
I'd take a quick peek into the pump, especially if the tune up checks out.
One time I picked up some debris(plastic bowl shaped thingie from the bottom of a 2 liter soda bottle) and it got wrapped around an impeller blade. I couldn't get the stock 454/Berk to rev past 2400 RPM. I once saw a piece of a ski rope wrapped around the impeller shaft keep a 455/Berk from revving past 1800 RPM on a friends Roger's.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
08-05-2004, 05:49 PM
Open your handhole up an look to see if anything in stuck in there. Also check for chunks missing from your impeller. When I got my boat it spun 3000r's and it would only go 25mph. i opened up the hanhole and BAM, 12 feet of ski rope. Pulled that stuff and I was cooking..

malcolm
08-05-2004, 07:31 PM
Is it running smooth at that speed? I'm leaning towards the carb not opening all the way. Check the linkage for full fuel. You should be around 4600 I would think.

quiet riot
08-05-2004, 09:42 PM
Just a side note, that torker manifold is meant for a 6k+ rpm motor also, not a typical 455 jet rpm. You probably have another issue such as carb/fuel, timing, motor, bad reading tach?, or something caught in the pump as suggested above but a torker intake probably isn't optimum for that setup unless the motor has been modified a bit with higher compression and a smaller cut impeller to turn the r's.
jd

mgar_red
08-05-2004, 09:55 PM
Are you sure about the tach? Is it original or new, and is it set to the proper cylinder # setting?

malcolm
08-06-2004, 07:45 AM
455baby, where are you located? All you need to do is meet up with a couple other jet boaters and you'll have it figured out in no time.