PDA

View Full Version : How to route cooling on 460 jet drive

boot
06-02-2002, 02:07 PM
I have 460 with HArden equipment. NO water pump ,just cover plate . Water NOW goes from sea pump to thermostat housing, down through heads and block ,comes out of water pump cover and goes into exhaust logs. Is this right ? It is flowing backwards . I need some help ,I'm new to this jet boat stuff . THanks ,JOE

spectratoad
06-02-2002, 03:25 PM
I just did mine Friday. I also have a 460 with cover plate. My water intake goes to logs, out of logs to logs to cover plate and then I have two lines running from intake manifold to exhaust risers to dump heated water.
I started and everything seemed to be flowing right. There is another thread on here somewhere about it but I couldn't find it. The thermostat housing would be last so you get a temp reading for the engine I believe.
If anyone else can confirm the setup please do and also remove the "I wonder" from my mind.

Oldsquirt
06-02-2002, 03:25 PM
Definitely sound backwards. Here is what I posted on another recent thread:
Originally posted by OLDSQUIRT:
The standard plumbing for a jet with log-style thru-transom exhaust is illustrated in this pic I borrowed from Liquidaddiction.net (http://www.Liquidaddiction.net)
http://www.liquidaddiction.net/images/logs.jpg
Water enters from pump and goes to a "T" where it splits off and enters the exhaust logs(not the outlet risers!). Water is warmed in logs (also cools the logs) and then exits logs and enters at what would have been the water pump mounting point. It circulates thru block, exits at T-stat housing and then out via the exhaust risers.
Hope this helps!

boot
06-02-2002, 05:42 PM
Thanks guys , I think I need to do some plumbing ! How do you split it from the thermostat housing ? Is it a 'Y' fitting or do you just 'T' it from the factory style housing ? Do you run a thermostat or any type of restrickters ?
Also the hose from the water pump cover plate, that now goes to the logs, is small , like 3/8" fule line .(maybe a little bigger but small ). Should I up this size hose ?
I live in NJ and boat on the rivers and Atlantic ocean .I geuss water is about average temp . THanks for the help and the quick response . I hope to finish this tomorrow . Thanks ,JOE

spectratoad
06-03-2002, 06:49 AM
I live out here in Northern Nevada so I am on chilly mountain lakes but don't have a problem with the temps. Mine has two 90's threaded into the intake manifold in front of the thermostat housing. All my hoses are 5/8 standard.
I also notice on the diagram a valve that is on the intake before the T. Minie does not have that. I assume that will help regulate temp if you need.
Thanks for the diagram OLDSQUIRT & LIQUIDADDICT. That really helps. I will print it and put it in my file so I can lose it and still be confused when I do this again.