PDA

View Full Version : rusty exhaust ports

bob hill
09-21-2001, 06:20 PM
This is my first year out so I don't know much. I have a bbc with hardin thru-transom wet exhaust manifolds. I live in Colorado, so I took off the exhaust manifolds for the winter. I notice that rust has formed inside the exhaust ports and on the rods. Is this normal or did I do something wrong?

riodog
09-21-2001, 08:10 PM
What "rods" are you referring to? The valve stems maybe? If it's just surface rust, no big deal, just squirt wd-40 in each port, turn the motor over and do it again until you get it in all cylinders. Check to make sure that you do not have water in the cylinders. If I leave a motor exposed(open ports) for any length of time, I squirt a rag with wd40 and stuff it in each port. Pay attention to them throughout the winter, you might turn the motor over and relube it also, keep it dry.
as for your exhausts... check to see if they have any cracks anywhere, and what about the flappers on the back of the boat? Can't be a whole lot of help with the exhaust, all I run are headers. Someone in the know will pop-up and let you know......good luck
the dog

boatnam2
09-22-2001, 08:06 AM
i think you mean valve.

Jungle Boy
09-22-2001, 09:13 AM
Condensation can accumulate if you don't use the boat much. I fire the engine up just after pulling it out of the water to ensure all water is out of the exhaust system. As for spraying in the exhaust ports, I use engine storage spray. WD-40 is advertised to dry electrical parts so it will dry your valve seats better than lubricate them (in my opinion). Don't worry about a little rust.

bob hill
09-22-2001, 11:52 AM
Yeah, I do mean valve stems.
Thanks for the help.
Bob