PDA

View Full Version : RunnerBottom Handling Capabilities.

dmontzsta
08-06-2004, 04:34 PM
Just how bad do runnerbottoms handle? I have been told by some that with lake boats there isnt much of a difference, but the set up seems like there would be a pretty noticeable difference. Just wondering if true flatties outhandle them by far?

GofastRacer
08-06-2004, 08:22 PM
Runners handle great but they are DRAG boats and made to run on SMOOTHE water in a straight line!. ;) :cool:

Kindsvater Flat
08-06-2004, 09:49 PM
Runners handle great but they are DRAG boats and made to run on SMOOTHE water in a straight line!. ;) :cool:
Mines a runner bottom and I take it to the big lakes. Sure it gets a little rough but its tolerable.
Freeboard thing makes you a little nervous but not bad.
http://www.schoutenranch.com/misc/Oroville%207.JPG

dmontzsta
08-07-2004, 06:13 AM
So do runners beat you up more than flatties? I would imagine it should be the same thinking about the overall designs. And will most flatties out handle most runner bottoms?

Bob Hostetter
08-07-2004, 07:57 AM
I have owned both (Early Hondo Flattie/Cole TR3 runner) over the years and at recreational speeds (up to 100mph) they handled pretty much the same. The flatbottom seems to turn a little better, the runner will mph a little better. The differences don't seem to show up until you start pushing the extreme edges of the envelope.
I have heard the same rumors about runnerbottoms ( make bad play boats) but in my experience theres not much difference. Maybe someone with more experience can add something...........

dmontzsta
08-07-2004, 08:49 AM
I have owned both (Early Hondo Flattie/Cole TR3 runner) over the years and at recreational speeds (up to 100mph) they handled pretty much the same. The flatbottom seems to turn a little better, the runner will mph a little better. The differences don't seem to show up until you start pushing the extreme edges of the envelope.
I have heard the same rumors about runnerbottoms ( make bad play boats) but in my experience theres not much difference. Maybe someone with more experience can add something...........
Thanks, this is exactly what I wanted to hear, experience. Hopefully some more with experience could add. :)

V-DRIVE VIDEO
08-07-2004, 09:43 AM
Its a little hard to compare a "true flat" when there are so many different "true flats" with thier own differences. A heavy Mandela rides much different than a 72 Hondo. A Gull bottom Sanger rides much different than a 65 Patterson, a "B" boat has its own feel. See what I'm gettin at. Throwing in a runnerbottom, I can't help but ask which true flat do you want to compare and to which runnerbottom.
Donald,
If your talking about handling as in handling rough water... take a boat like yours and and compare it to say Gurus boat??? Huge difference. If your talking about handling as in turning and manuevering? The runnerbottoms with a full size fin actually turn pretty darn good, a good example being small block mikes connelly (and he has a drag fin?). Sanger built runnerbottom circle boats for a while and they work well. The Biesemeyer comparitively is another level.
Donald, I don't think your question can be generalized so easily given the variables. :idea2:
Jerry :confused:

ColeTR1
08-07-2004, 09:56 AM
The runnerbottoms with a full size fin actually turn pretty darn good
My TR1 was set-up originaly to be a ski boat with a big fin, it turns great and also has a lot of rocker in it. Good all around river boat!

dmontzsta
08-07-2004, 10:16 AM
Its a little hard to compare a "true flat" when there are so many different "true flats" with thier own differences. A heavy Mandela rides much different than a 72 Hondo. A Gull bottom Sanger rides much different than a 65 Patterson, a "B" boat has its own feel. See what I'm gettin at. Throwing in a runnerbottom, I can't help but ask which true flat do you want to compare and to which runnerbottom.
Donald,
If your talking about handling as in handling rough water... take a boat like yours and and compare it to say Gurus boat??? Huge difference. If your talking about handling as in turning and manuevering? The runnerbottoms with a full size fin actually turn pretty darn good, a good example being small block mikes connelly (and he has a drag fin?). Sanger built runnerbottom circle boats for a while and they work well. The Biesemeyer comparitively is another level.
Donald, I don't think your question can be generalized so easily given the variables. :idea2:
Jerry :confused:
Let me see if I can shed some light and maybe answer some of my own questions. Here is what I am thinking...
Heavy Flats (like mine) handle rough water better? are there light runners that can outhandle it on glass when cornering? I am just wondering if there are runners that can outhandle flats (worst case a heavy flat like mine) I am sure they cannot outhandle a well rigged light flat.
I have been told that runnerbottoms are best for straight lines, but corner almost as bad as a hydro.
BTW: Do I have to sign for the package when it comes? or will the mail man be able to put it in the mailbox?

V-DRIVE VIDEO
08-07-2004, 01:42 PM
Let me see if I can shed some light and maybe answer some of my own questions. Here is what I am thinking...
Heavy Flats (like mine) handle rough water better? are there light runners that can outhandle it on glass when cornering? I am just wondering if there are runners that can outhandle flats (worst case a heavy flat like mine) I am sure they cannot outhandle a well rigged light flat.
I have been told that runnerbottoms are best for straight lines, but corner almost as bad as a hydro.
BTW: Do I have to sign for the package when it comes? or will the mail man be able to put it in the mailbox?
Donald, heavy flats generally plow through rough water rather than dancing over it.
There are many true flats out there that (in my opinion) do not turn, on the flip side there are some runnerbottoms that turn quite well. So to answer your question---> Yes, there were runnerbottoms built that can out turn many true flats.
With the same weight, driver ability, set-up, power etc. A runnerbottom is more efficient and will out accelerate and mph a true flat.The down side is, a runnerbottom generally needs nearly perfect water conditions to run the big speed safely.
Drag hydros don't turn at all...you aim them. Circle hydros turn pretty good.
The runnerbottom will turn better than the drag hydro especially with a good sized turn fin.
Your tapes went out in 3 seperate mailers with the U.S. mail yesterday. No you won't have to sign for them. They probably wont arrive overnight but it is possible.

dmontzsta
08-07-2004, 02:18 PM
Donald, heavy flats generally plow through rough water rather than dancing over it.
There are many true flats out there that (in my opinion) do not turn, on the flip side there are some runnerbottoms that turn quite well. So to answer your question---> Yes, there were runnerbottoms built that can out turn many true flats.
With the same weight, driver ability, set-up, power etc. A runnerbottom is more efficient and will out accelerate and mph a true flat.The down side is, a runnerbottom generally needs nearly perfect water conditions to run the big speed safely.
Drag hydros don't turn at all...you aim them. Circle hydros turn pretty good.
The runnerbottom will turn better than the drag hydro especially with a good sized turn fin.
Your tapes went out in 3 seperate mailers with the U.S. mail yesterday. No you won't have to sign for them. They probably wont arrive overnight but it is possible.
Thanks for the info Jerry, I think my questions have been answered. :)

dmontzsta
08-07-2004, 03:38 PM
Just checked the mail and I have three yellow mailing envelopes...you da man Jerry!