PDA

View Full Version : Help !! What would you do!!!!!!!!! (BOAT RELATED :))

scarabrick2
04-08-2006, 05:57 AM
Well my bro just got a new (still in the box)XR drive put on his boat. The drive install turned out great. However, they put a nice long scratch down both sides of the lower unit when he took off the motor flusher. This is not a good thing. The drive is brand new and now has two scratches down the sides. He paid a lot of money for that drive and before he could put it in the water he has this come up. A simple merc paint (can) is not going to fix it as its down to the white primer. He doesn't want a simple fix as its BRAND NEW!!. He's going to give the shop a chance to make it right but he wants it done right not just s little touch up paint. What's a guy to do? How should the scratch be repaired?
Please feel free to post your thoughts.
Rick

purrfecttremor
04-08-2006, 06:13 AM
Man that sucks.they need to step un with a fair discount tha your bro is satisfied with or replace it!If your bro is as anal as most boaters hes not going to be happy with a simple repair.Id throw a fockin fit!!!!!!!!!!!

scarabrick2
04-08-2006, 06:48 PM
Heck this IS boat related!!!!
ttt

Tom Brown
04-08-2006, 07:43 PM
Three more posts and I'm jacking this thread.

BadKachina
04-08-2006, 08:33 PM
I have brand new drives in the box with scratches and chips on the edges just from being shipped. As soon as you run it a few times the lower unit will show some wear on it anyways. I would let it go, the mark up on them isn't that great for a shop anyways, Merc is the only one who makes big money on the drives. Give the shop a break, or work them for something reasonable, like a free drive service next time you come in. It's not worth all the aggrevation and hard feelings over a couple of scratches. If they scratched you gel coat or stained your interior than I would expect it to be fixed, but not the drive from putting ear muffs on.

andy01
04-09-2006, 02:47 PM
Well I would say "thanks for the work" and tow the boat home. I wouldn't even care about it. It is a repair shop and shit happens. I mean if someone runs into the boat then I would be worried, but hell a scratch on a part that you won't see once the boat is in the water and that is going to look like hell in a few hours of running........... let it go, tell them they owe him a boat wash. But really, don't worry about it............it's only a lower unit.
Andy

RAZORSHARP
04-09-2006, 03:08 PM
There is so much competition out there and everyone says they are the best. When we pay money, alot of money, these shops should treat our boats like it was their own. Walk in their showroom and accidentally scratch a part on one of their boats and lets see if they just let you walk away and thank you for coming by.

boater012
04-09-2006, 03:28 PM
There is so much competition out there and everyone says they are the best. When we pay money, alot of money, these shops should treat our boats like it was their own. Walk in their showroom and accidentally scratch a part on one of their boats and lets see if they just let you walk away and thank you for coming by.
As a matter of fact customers bump, bruise, and generally break stuff on accident all the time!!! I wouldnt worry if I was you like someone else said as soon as you run it a couple times it'll get all scratched up anyways!!! Hell the first time you beach the thing the scratch wil be right at home! Call rex marine and ask him if anyone ever broke anything in his show room and he let it go!!! Life is to short to stress over a scratch on a part that will get scratched anyways!! My lift kit was all scratched up when I bought it just from the shipping methods used! I like the free drive service idea myself! If you are of the mind that we as shop owners dont have our own stuff get scratched when we are assembling them you are wrong!!!!!

RAZORSHARP
04-09-2006, 03:31 PM
As a matter of fact customers bump, bruise, and generally break stuff on accident all the time!!! I wouldnt worry if I was you like someone else said as soon as you run it a couple times it'll get all scratched up anyways!!! Hell the first time you beach the thing the scratch wil be right at home! Call rex marine and ask him if anyone ever broke anything in his show room and he let it go!!! Life is to short to stress over a scratch on a part that will get scratched anyways!! My lift kit was all scratched up when I bought it just from the shipping methods used! I like the free drive service idea myself! If you are of the mind that we as shop owners dont have our own stuff get scratched when we are assembling them you are wrong!!!!!
Sounds like this is coming from someone who is in the business of working on boats.

Roaddogg 4040
04-09-2006, 03:59 PM
I don't think that it is worth ruining a relationship over. I am just as picky as the next buy but my two cents are let them fix it and go on your way. The free service dosn't sound like a bad idea either.
Steve

boater012
04-14-2006, 08:23 AM
Sounds like this is coming from someone who is in the business of working on boats. You would be correct!!!!!
That doesnt mean that if my customer was stressed out over the scratch I wouldnt fit it for him!!! Ive done it before and ill do it again!! I've recieved new drives right from mercruiser that the skeg is ground down a little already! Just sanded it down put some zinc chromate on it and a few coats of merc black and voila like new again! The way they package them the skeg sometimes works its way through the cardboard and drag the ground a little bit. I'm not saying the guy shouldn't get it fixed if thats what he wants. I was simply giving my point of view of what I would do if it was me!! I have nice stuff, but I tend to not sweat it when I know its going to get damaged anyways!!!
Like my lift kit, I couldv'e raised hell and they wouldv'e repainted it for me, but my truck isn't a highway queen!! My running boards were shredded within two weeks of owning the thing. And its met its share of tree stumps on the john bull trail in big bear!! I knew the kit would get scratched so I didn't stress about it!

havasurat27
04-14-2006, 08:35 AM
Well said.......I bet the bottom of his boat had scratches on it when he took delivery of it as well but never knew it. If these are the only scratches ever seen on his drive then he's not using it. Don't sweat the small stuff! ..... Hell..It's all small stuff!!

Jordy
04-14-2006, 08:37 AM
Take all the paint off the lower and polish it Sporty style. Problem solved. :D :D :D

scarabrick2
04-14-2006, 08:51 AM
We shouldn't have to do that. Now if the shop want too then go for it. otherwise, we should have it sanded and re-painted to factory sppecs.

Hallett19
04-14-2006, 09:12 AM
I'm typically nit-picky about things like this too, but when it comes down to it, the drive will be scratched up on your first trip out and if these scratches are the worst thing that happens to the drive, consider yourself lucky. Tell them what they did, see what they offer, even if its an appology and an offer to touch them up, that would be good enough for me. Unless its something big like gel or interior, I dont think the hassle of having to tow my boat back in and not having it for a few days is worth it.
I think asking for it to be completley taken down to the metal or primer and repainted is alot to ask considering the drive will be scratched up sooner or later.... like havasurat27 said, if you dont scratch it up, you arent using it.

Magic34
04-14-2006, 09:20 AM
A drive service in the future would make me more than happy as a customer.
Have them do a quick touch up and get a drive service out of it.

RAMROD
04-14-2006, 10:45 AM
I work in the boat business, and I have a few overly over the top anal customers like this too. I would fix it for the customer and then screw the Hell out of them next time they came in for repairs. :crossx: :) :rollside: :)
To some people unfortunately, it isn't "just a lower unit"

boater012
04-14-2006, 11:01 AM
I work in the boat business, and I have a few overly over the top anal customers like this too. I would fix it for the customer and then screw the Hell out of them next time they came in for repairs. :crossx: :) :rollside: :)
Iv'e seen a sign in a friends shop that said "We screwed the last guy and we are passing the savings on to you" I laugh every time I see it!

LUVNLIFE
04-14-2006, 11:14 AM
Use some sandpaper to smooth it and paint it with Phantom Black out of the spray can. It's available at boat shops and is the stock Merc color. The boys are right it will get some scratches and wear marks anyway. Then you can touch them up. :)

scarabrick2
04-14-2006, 11:35 AM
Owner of the shop said he'lll make it right. Just hard to spend another twenty bucks in fuel to get it corrected (rather put it in boat even know its only 6 gal). Maybe we'll have a few beers and sand the unit down then spray a few coats of clear on it. either way when my dad owned a boat buisness and I or we screwed up something on the boat/motor we always made it right. anyways, glad SOME people feel teh same way.

91nordic29
04-14-2006, 11:41 AM
Use some sandpaper to smooth it and paint it with Phantom Black out of the spray can. It's available at boat shops and is the stock Merc color. The boys are right it will get some scratches and wear marks anyway. Then you can touch them up. :)
and you will still have the can so you can touch it up after every outing!

Keith E. Sayre
04-14-2006, 12:16 PM
Dean Messmer, the extremely successful owner of the Boat Brokers and about 14 other entities that not many know about always said "that to be
in the boat business, you must be a psychologist, a child psychologist to
be specific". His point was, WE can have anything we want in our life if we can figure out how to get everyone else what THEY want!
Sounds simple, I suppose that it is. The repair shop sounds like they're
handling the matter to his satisfaction and hats off to them for that.
As some of you know, I've been in this business for years and I think have
a reputation for going the extra mile for the customer. Which sometimes
raises the eyebrows of the owner of our company. where to draw that line.
As this thread illustrated, some of us would have said, no problem it's going
to look like crap anyway and off they'd go, others want their home mortgage
paid off, shoot the owner of the company and give me his Skater, helicopter
and free gas forever. The successful boat dealership is going to find out
what it will take to make YOU happy. And there may be 100 correct answers
to that single question, all depending on who that "child" is. None of those
answers are right or wrong. But success often depends on getting it right!
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats

Dave C
04-14-2006, 12:28 PM
I'd take the touch up and ask for a free service down the road.... I HEAR those services can be quite expensive. :)

kanedog
04-14-2006, 02:59 PM
He should sit down for an hour by himself so he can figure out what he will snivel, whine and cry about next!!! Im not saying that he shouldnt point out the scratches to the dealer but if its that big a deal that he has to get his brother and ask strangers what he should do, its obviously a big deal to him. Its generally customers like him who cause people who own businesses that deal with the general public to question why they are in business.
I hope he gets a whole new free drive to take home in his trunk as this will be fair compensation for 2 scratches that are underwater when boating.

HM
04-14-2006, 03:06 PM
Wax on, wax off.

Ziggy
04-14-2006, 03:32 PM
That's a real nice way to present yourself :rolleyes: Where's your shop at? :220v:
I agree we all have sniveling clients now and then but to say or even think to get even with them next time is 180 degrees off course...
If you like to retain customers then fix it within reason and be done with the matter....having grudges will earn you an early heart attack

kanedog
04-14-2006, 09:30 PM
I think he was joking dude. At least I hope he was.

RAMROD
04-15-2006, 01:27 AM
Gawd. I was kidding! Now as far as my gambling habit goes, if I'm down like 10G's on the week, I'll just spread it out over everyones bill for awhile until my luck turns. I also put on used parts and accessories and charge for new so I can afford that new Beamer every year. :rollside:

scarabrick2
04-15-2006, 04:46 AM
He should sit down for an hour by himself so he can figure out what he will snivel, whine and cry about next!!! Im not saying that he shouldnt point out the scratches to the dealer but if its that big a deal that he has to get his brother and ask strangers what he should do, its obviously a big deal to him. Its generally customers like him who cause people who own businesses that deal with the general public to question why they are in business.
I hope he gets a whole new free drive to take home in his trunk as this will be fair compensation for 2 scratches that are underwater when boating.
Wow I'm sure if you spent 8 grand plus labor to install a new drive and it had a flaw you would just say THANKS and walk away right? . My bro didn't ask for your or anyones opinion. I was just throughing out a question. Like I said the shop will take care of it as he should. He/we are not asking for a new drive, service or anything else just fix the scratch the correct way. You know resale value of all of your boats(this case a 270 hallett) depend on the CONDITION of it. If you look at a outdrive and there is some repair work done to the skag you wonder what happened. Did he HIT something in the lake? If so, is the drive or gimble damaged? hull stressed? something bent? was the skag replaced,welded,bondoed,put back to a straight condition? the list goes on. I had a scarab for 6 yrs and my drive looked brand new when I got it and when I sold it for top dollar. lucky? prob not. just took good care of it and didn't drag or run it up on the beach.

cola
04-15-2006, 05:55 AM
Wanted to buy, 2000-2006 27-29ft single engine v-bottom.496,hp500 or 502.no blowers.$40,000-$70,000.Must be in excellent condition. No damage. No fibreglass repairs. No junk.
If you tell me your boat is in great shape and I take my time to travel to look at it and it is junk, I will spam your name over and over on the ***boat boards and you will also pay me $100.
If your confident in your boat and your not full of sheott, you will understand.
If you are a liar and bs'er, you most likely will object to the bluntness of this post. So unless you have a meticulously clean boat and you are honest, don't bother responding.
BTW-despite the bluntness of this post, I am a really nice guy, just sick of liars.
I am presently in Lake Havasu so boats here are preferred. Thanks
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sounds like double standards. :)

RAMROD
04-16-2006, 12:51 AM
Wow I'm sure if you spent 8 grand plus labor to install a new drive and it had a flaw you would just say THANKS and walk away right? . My bro didn't ask for your or anyones opinion. I was just throughing out a question. Like I said the shop will take care of it as he should. He/we are not asking for a new drive, service or anything else just fix the scratch the correct way. You know resale value of all of your boats(this case a 270 hallett) depend on the CONDITION of it. If you look at a outdrive and there is some repair work done to the skag you wonder what happened. Did he HIT something in the lake? If so, is the drive or gimble damaged? hull stressed? something bent? was the skag replaced,welded,bondoed,put back to a straight condition? the list goes on. I had a scarab for 6 yrs and my drive looked brand new when I got it and when I sold it for top dollar. lucky? prob not. just took good care of it and didn't drag or run it up on the beach.
It's "throwing" and "skeg"