PDA

View Full Version : Need Honda info......

NashvilleBound
04-08-2006, 06:08 AM
I wanted to go get a CRF450F today and just wondered if all the bugs were worked out over the last few years....how many years back they are ok stock. If I remember right the first few years they had handlebar and footpeg issues.....something to that effect. Any info would be appreciated. FYI: have not ridden in 15 years, had CR250R that was fully worked, weigh 250. Who are the riders here anyways?

JetBoatRich
04-08-2006, 06:12 AM
My neighbor bought one last year, he has been trouble free.
I bought the 450X a couple months ago, no complaints :cool:

NashvilleBound
04-08-2006, 06:14 AM
My neighbor bought one last year, he has been trouble free.
I bought the 450X a couple months ago, no complaints :cool:
Whats the dif? Is the 450X an enduro type?

JetBoatRich
04-08-2006, 06:19 AM
The 450X is a little heavier, electric start, emissions, as far as suspension they are similiar bikes. The 450F is set-up more for track, little quicker.
I must be getting old :rolleyes: I wanted to cheat with the electric start :cool:

NashvilleBound
04-08-2006, 06:24 AM
The 450X is a little heavier, electric start, emissions, as far as suspension they are similiar bikes. The 450F is set-up more for track, little quicker.
I must be getting old :rolleyes: I wanted to cheat with the electric start :cool:
LOL...I dont consider it cheating......working smarter maybe???? I would be all good with electric start too.....and I turn 42 tomorrow, so I AM old. I will ck out the differences today. Thanks for the info.

JetBoatRich
04-08-2006, 06:28 AM
Happy Birthday, buying yourself a bike for your BD :cool:
Once I do a couple changes and take off the emission parts it will wake up a little more.
I will be 42 in a couple months, so it is all about working smarter :cool:

life's a river
04-08-2006, 07:13 AM
The electric start is the only way to go for us over the hill guys. Way too much work to kick start and very few people will know the difference in the speed or be able to ride a 450 to it's full potential. I do not own a 450 but I am looking to get one in the fall.
LAR

NashvilleBound
04-08-2006, 07:51 AM
Just got back from dealership... New 06, $6714.62 OTD. Good? Bad?

wsuwrhr
04-08-2006, 07:58 AM
Let me know when you are ready to "hop it up" NB.
Billet big bore cylinder, ignition mods, carb mods, bigger airfilter, porting, cam changes, you name it.
:rollside: :rollside:
Get the electric start, unless you have "ass".
My little "ass" has a hard time starting the bitch when it is hot.
Brian

JetBoatRich
04-08-2006, 07:59 AM
I assume it is for the 450X?

NashvilleBound
04-08-2006, 08:09 AM
I assume it is for the 450X?
Yep, Sorry...It IS a CRF450R

Waldo
04-08-2006, 08:51 AM
Not bad I think...I've seen a new 05 450x advertised for 6199 OTD.

HMF'er
04-08-2006, 08:54 AM
Seems like a fair price. FYI, MXA magazine is raving about the '06 YZ450F. You can't go wrong with Honda or Yamaha.

NashvilleBound
04-08-2006, 08:59 AM
Let me know when you are ready to "hop it up" NB.
Billet big bore cylinder, ignition mods, carb mods, bigger airfilter, porting, cam changes, you name it.
:rollside: :rollside:
Get the electric start, unless you have "ass".
My little "ass" has a hard time starting the bitch when it is hot.
Brian
THAT is one thing I am considering(elec start).....how much do you think that adds to the price???? The rest.....maybe next season. But totally appreciate the offer.

upsman105
04-08-2006, 09:14 AM
Yamaha is definately the only way to go, especially 4-stroke, they invented it.

NashvilleBound
04-08-2006, 09:23 AM
Yamaha is definately the only way to go, especially 4-stroke, they invented it.
Why? Talk to me............

upsman105
04-08-2006, 09:36 AM
I'm just kind of harassing you, it really is just a Ford--Chevy thing...
I'm on my 4th Yamaha 4 stroke in 5 years, and I have never had a problem with any of them. Honestly if you are just going to mess around in the woods, you would probably be happy with a 450x honda or a wr450 yamaha.

NashvilleBound
04-08-2006, 09:39 AM
I'm just kind of harassing you, it really is just a Ford--Chevy thing...
I'm on my 4th Yamaha 4 stroke in 5 years, and I have never had a problem with any of them. Honestly if you are just going to mess around in the woods, you would probably be happy with a 450x honda or a wr450 yamaha.
Ok then.....if your on your 4th one in 5 years whats the deal? Do they only last one season(harrassing back) ;) ?

BRAWNY
04-08-2006, 09:53 AM
having rode hondas all my life,i just bought a yzf and it really is a nice bike.but that one is for my son cause im riding the honda. :rollside:

upsman105
04-08-2006, 09:55 AM
If you buy a honda don't be surprised when you are up a tree without a paddle :)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2126000_0006.jpg

BRAWNY
04-08-2006, 09:58 AM
nice shot.glad to see you didnt get hurt and doin your own stunts.haha.

upsman105
04-08-2006, 10:01 AM
No not me, just a friend of a friend. Although if I had a Honda that is what I would do with it....

RiverRatMike
04-08-2006, 12:25 PM
if you want to ride get the YZ450, if you want to wrench get the CRF450. go to thumper talk and you'll see all the transmission and valve problems the hondas are still having. Even with the new stainless steel valves. Just my .02

Waldo
04-08-2006, 12:34 PM
Ok then.....if your on your 4th one in 5 years whats the deal? Do they only last one season(harrassing back) ;) ?
From what I hear, the YZF is a strong all-around bike and hasn't had any motor issues.
The motor on the CRF has had issues with its Titanium valves and beating up the shims. For 06, Honda changed the intake valves to stainless but the exhaust are still Ti. Make sure your air filter is always clean, use the same oil every time, and don't overrev. I know many people with the CRF and have had absolutely no problems with valves.

TRUMP TIGHT
04-08-2006, 12:41 PM
I wanted to go get a CRF450F today and just wondered if all the bugs were worked out over the last few years....how many years back they are ok stock. If I remember right the first few years they had handlebar and footpeg issues.....something to that effect. Any info would be appreciated. FYI: have not ridden in 15 years, had CR250R that was fully worked, weigh 250. Who are the riders here anyways?
It is a nice bike and i would say 2004 and up would be best to go with on that model. Yes they have worked out most of the kinks but i would suggest going with an after market handle bar set up to personalize ride height. Personaly i would go with a little older yamaha 426. You could save a couple bucks and personaly it feels like more of a crooss country bike which is what i ride.

RiverRatMike
04-08-2006, 01:44 PM
From what I hear, the YZF is a strong all-around bike and hasn't had any motor issues.
The motor on the CRF has had issues with its Titanium valves and beating up the shims. For 06, Honda changed the intake valves to stainless but the exhaust are still Ti. Make sure your air filter is always clean, use the same oil every time, and don't overrev. I know many people with the CRF and have had absolutely no problems with valves.
I know for a fact that the Yamaha's have the best all around engine relability. I have a 2004 WRF450 with over 1000 miles of hard dirt riding and not one problem with my bike. My younger brother has a 1998 YZ400F that has probably close to 10,000 dirt miles on it and that bike just amazes me every time. Still runs hard and to this day has it has never had any engine or transmission issues and is equally as fast as my newer 450. The valves have never even been adjusted. Pretty damn good engine for the first year of manufacturing.

wsuwrhr
04-08-2006, 02:17 PM
Problem with the Yamaha is the head is mostly one peice. Perfectly fine if you never want to tinker with it.
All depends on what you are doing with it I guess.
Every maker has it's own problems.
Brian

wsuwrhr
04-08-2006, 02:23 PM
if you want to ride get the YZ450, if you want to wrench get the CRF450. go to thumper talk and you'll see all the transmission and valve problems the hondas are still having. Even with the new stainless steel valves. Just my .02
Wild,
Never heard any of that, course the 450's I deal with are quads, although the motor/gearbox is similar.
Our motor in Joe Byrd's race quad is making over 65(?) horse, maybe more by now.
Big bore stroker motors are well over that.
We are doing Yamahas race quads for the '06 season too.
Brian

wsuwrhr
04-08-2006, 02:25 PM
THAT is one thing I am considering(elec start).....how much do you think that adds to the price???? The rest.....maybe next season. But totally appreciate the offer.
I don't know about the money, but I would say it is worth every penny.
I am not kidding when I say my little ass had a hard time kickstarting the bike.
Especially when you have to find a rock to put your left foot on.
hahahaha
Brian

NashvilleBound
04-08-2006, 06:09 PM
Well guys.......http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12797&stc=1 it was a great day!!! I guess happy b-day to me is in order.....

wsuwrhr
04-08-2006, 06:12 PM
Well guys.......http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12797&stc=1 it was a great day!!! I guess happy b-day to me is in order.....
be careful there old man...

NashvilleBound
04-08-2006, 06:18 PM
be careful there old man...
me be carefull??????? Be hell to see an old guy kick your ass wouldnt it?!?!!??!!! lol....... this thing has amazing power...enjoying every minute of it.

wsuwrhr
04-08-2006, 06:57 PM
me be carefull??????? Be hell to see an old guy kick your ass wouldnt it?!?!!??!!! lol....... this thing has amazing power...enjoying every minute of it.
Told you it was badass.
Did you get a starter?
Brian
I think it makes 45 horse, that is the funny part.

NashvilleBound
04-08-2006, 07:08 PM
Told you it was badass.
Did you get a starter?
Brian
I think it makes 45 horse, that is the funny part.
No starter yet...had them stay open late to close the deal. But they are looking into it. $6900 OTD with alll my acc's (helmet, boots, gloves.....)

BOBALOO
04-08-2006, 07:19 PM
I am 95% sure that NOBODY makes an elect start kit for the CRF450. I got an X last Sept and am 100% happy with it.
Heres mine ready for Glamis.......
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/4418crf_paddle-med.jpg

wsuwrhr
04-09-2006, 07:10 AM
No starter yet...had them stay open late to close the deal. But they are looking into it. $6900 OTD with alll my acc's (helmet, boots, gloves.....)
As far as I have seen, the cases are the same, and the starter hole is there.
I am sure you could add it to an '06
I will check into it, and I can probably get what you need cheaper than you can get it for.
Brian

Jrocket
04-09-2006, 08:00 AM
I know for a fact that I have had zero problems with valves or transmissions on any of my Honda's.They are the best engineered and quality built bikes out there,period.

NashvilleBound
04-09-2006, 11:31 AM
As far as I have seen, the cases are the same, and the starter hole is there.
I am sure you could add it to an '06
I will check into it, and I can probably get what you need cheaper than you can get it for.
Brian
Thanks Brian, I did see the cases were the same. Should bolt right on... Let me know....
Jeff

RiverRatMike
04-09-2006, 01:17 PM
I know for a fact that I have had zero problems with valves or transmissions on any of my Honda's.They are the best engineered and quality built bikes out there,period.
I don't think so, go to thumpertalk.com and read!

Woodster
04-09-2006, 02:18 PM
The honda's are great.. Ive had 3 of the Honda 450's (03,04,05) and they all where good bikes reliablity wise..The handling was another story on the 03. The 04 was better, the 05 was really good. I now have a 06 Kx450f and its my favorite out of all of them. Handles awesome, and has a great motor. I used to race alot of MX but now im slowly switching over to desert racing and I really love the KX. I think like some have said, its really like a Chevy vs Ford debate.. They're all good bikes..Just pick a color you like :rollside:

Woodster
04-09-2006, 02:20 PM
I don't think so, go to thumpertalk.com and read!
Thumpertalk is a bunch of Kooks.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

RiverRatMike
04-09-2006, 03:19 PM
yeah well that facts are there. I have two neighboors up the street from me that have 04 and 05 CRF450's and both of them have had valve issues. Those guys are wrenching on there CRF's more than they ride them. I just love pulling a wheelie on my Yamaha 450 when I ride by their house on my way out into the desert. :rollside:

JetBoatRich
04-09-2006, 05:02 PM
:cool: Happy Birthday NB :cool:
Glad you were able to get a present you wanted :cool:
We took the bikes out yesterday, camped over night :cool: No problems with my 450 :cool:

NashvilleBound
04-09-2006, 05:08 PM
Thanks Rich. We were out all day riding again today. I was starting to jump a little more than I should have, lost a footing in the air and stomped the ground when i landed.....pulled it off but it sure brought back some memories of eatingshit. Pucker value of about 8.... ;) Still smiled all day....so all is good!

Jrocket
04-09-2006, 07:03 PM
Thumpertalk is a bunch of Kooks.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Your are correct,alot of them are morons but there are a few guys that know their stuff.

Jrocket
04-09-2006, 07:08 PM
yeah well that facts are there. I have two neighboors up the street from me that have 04 and 05 CRF450's and both of them have had valve issues. Those guys are wrenching on there CRF's more than they ride them. I just love pulling a wheelie on my Yamaha 450 when I ride by their house on my way out into the desert. :rollside:
Yamaha's are no cherry's.Same ol ugly droopy rear fender and out dated styling.Read my post again,I said that I have never had any issue's of any kinds with my Hondas,and I guarantee that I ride them harder and more than you ever ride that Yamaha.

Jrocket
04-09-2006, 07:09 PM
Thanks Rich. We were out all day riding again today. I was starting to jump a little more than I should have, lost a footing in the air and stomped the ground when i landed.....pulled it off but it sure brought back some memories of eatingshit. Pucker value of about 8.... ;) Still smiled all day....so all is good!
Better make sure you have some good riding gear there Nashvillebigballz. :p

RiverRatMike
04-09-2006, 08:04 PM
Yamaha's are no cherry's.Same ol ugly droopy rear fender and out dated styling.Read my post again,I said that I have never had any issue's of any kinds with my Hondas,and I guarantee that I ride them harder and more than you ever ride that Yamaha.
It's only a matter of time, you'll see. I guarantee that I ride my Yamaha harder than you will ever ride that Honda :p
Here's some Honda quality for ya:
I went riding my new 2006 CRF 450 today, and after a landing my bike started making a clicking noise. I thought it was a valve issue, so I took the valve cover off and found everything intact. So then I took the leftside crankcase cover off, and found chunks of aluminum in it. When I got I drained the oil and looked around for what part was chipped off. It turned out that the aluminum tab that holds the white timing chain guide in place was hit by the counterbalancer and broke off. My bike has only 6 hrs on it.

Outnumbered
04-09-2006, 10:19 PM
NB, congrats on the new bike. Now make a routine out of going at least once a week--its a great stress relief, good work out, and damn fun :D. Be sure to keep that right leg in shape for the first time you drop that bad boy on a hill and it floods on ya :p
You guys crack me up on this blue vs red crap. Its as old as Ford vs Chevy and never will be won. I ride with nearly all Honda boys and I get razzed about riding Orange all the time. The guys with the 450's are very happy but both of them are on 05/06 450x's. So time will tell if they last. The rest of the crew rides 250x's and they seem to require a lot of maintenance on the top end. Valves, pistons, etc. I ride an 04 KTM 450EXC and it has been a damn tough and reliable bike.
Just enjoy the bike and maintain it and it will treat you right. Don't worry about what anyone says. Have fun and be careful (don't cut corners on the gear).

JetBoatRich
04-10-2006, 03:27 AM
Your are correct,alot of them are morons but there are a few guys that know their stuff.
Sounds like ***boat :cool: